DirecTivo Tuner 2 Died

One of my 2 year old HDVR2 DirecTivos had Tuner 2 die. Any suggestions for the
best approach for getting a replacement unit? What's the best unit currently
available?

Once I move the card to the new unit, will I be able to use the old unit for
watching what it's already recorded, seeing the Season Passes it has setup,
etc.?

Thanks.

Dave

Dave Morgenlender
e-mail: dmorgen@alum.mit.edu
More about directivo tuner died

    "David Morgenlender" <dmorgen@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

    > One of my 2 year old HDVR2 DirecTivos had Tuner 2 die.

    Did you try rebooting your Tivo? One of my tuners flaked out and was OK
    on reboot. Apparently, it was a software issue.

    In article <1gis911gbvaroc85gankg7428amui9gjp6@4ax.com>,
    dmorgen@alum.mit.edu says...
    > One of my 2 year old HDVR2 DirecTivos had Tuner 2 die. Any suggestions for the
    > best approach for getting a replacement unit? What's the best unit currently
    > available?
    >
    > Once I move the card to the new unit, will I be able to use the old unit for
    > watching what it's already recorded, seeing the Season Passes it has setup,
    > etc.?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dave

    DTV will allow you to retroactively add their protection plan to your
    account and cover your dead DTivo with a free replacement. You have
    to stay with the protection plan for a full year, but it's cheaper
    than buying a NEW replacement, and it covers all of your DTV
    equipment as well.

    Chuck

    In article <3g730lFb0k50U1@individual.net>, "David Z" <me@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    > "David Morgenlender" <dmorgen@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
    >
    > > One of my 2 year old HDVR2 DirecTivos had Tuner 2 die.
    >
    > Did you try rebooting your Tivo? One of my tuners flaked out and was OK
    > on reboot. Apparently, it was a software issue.

    Or switching the two inputs to see if its a cable issue???

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:45:03 -0400, you wrote:

    >"David Morgenlender" <dmorgen@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
    >
    >> One of my 2 year old HDVR2 DirecTivos had Tuner 2 die.
    >
    >Did you try rebooting your Tivo? One of my tuners flaked out and was OK
    >on reboot. Apparently, it was a software issue.

    I don't think it was rebooted at that point. I know it wasn't powered off, then
    restarted. I was about to try that yesterday when I realized it was going to
    record Dr. Phil for my wife ... so to save my marriage, I'm waiting until I have
    a few minutes when my wife isn't depending upon that Tivo! :)

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Dave

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail: dmorgen@alum.mit.edu

    Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >In article <3g730lFb0k50U1@individual.net>, "David Z" <me@privacy.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> "David Morgenlender" <dmorgen@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > One of my 2 year old HDVR2 DirecTivos had Tuner 2 die.
    >>
    >> Did you try rebooting your Tivo? One of my tuners flaked out and was OK
    >> on reboot. Apparently, it was a software issue.
    >
    >Or switching the two inputs to see if its a cable issue???

    Tried that. The problem is definitely associated with that tuner, not cable,
    multiswitch or LNB.

    Thanks.

    Dave

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail: dmorgen@alum.mit.edu

    Chuck <no@no.com> wrote:

    >In article <1gis911gbvaroc85gankg7428amui9gjp6@4ax.com>,
    >dmorgen@alum.mit.edu says...
    >> One of my 2 year old HDVR2 DirecTivos had Tuner 2 die. Any suggestions for the
    >> best approach for getting a replacement unit? What's the best unit currently
    >> available?
    >>
    >> Once I move the card to the new unit, will I be able to use the old unit for
    >> watching what it's already recorded, seeing the Season Passes it has setup,
    >> etc.?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >
    >DTV will allow you to retroactively add their protection plan to your
    >account and cover your dead DTivo with a free replacement. You have
    >to stay with the protection plan for a full year, but it's cheaper
    >than buying a NEW replacement, and it covers all of your DTV
    >equipment as well.
    >
    >Chuck

    Chuck,

    That's interesting; I wasn't aware of that. Assuming a poweroff/poweron
    doesn't solve the problem, I'll look into it.

    Thanks.

    Dave

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail: dmorgen@alum.mit.edu