Any way to adjust recording times?

Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
end of various shows as well.

Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.

Yes, I realize the complications that could arise if recording two shows
back-to-back. Just wondering if there's a way.
11 answers Last reply
More about adjust recording times

    jwardl wrote:

    > Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
    > timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
    > get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
    > end of various shows as well.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
    > beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
    > to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
    > minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.

    If you have a computer running WIRNS (search Replay forum at
    avsforums.com) you can activate "showguard" and pad the end a variable
    amount. "Sportsguard" will similarly pad the end of only Sports
    programs. Nothing will pad the beginning globally.

    Considering that this can be done to the individual channels with
    greater flexibility, it isn't worth the effort or the potential
    problems. To use the term "most" you must have one crummy cable
    distribution system. This rarely happens to any of my recordings.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:13:57 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >jwardl wrote:
    >
    >> Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
    >> timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
    >> get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
    >> end of various shows as well.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
    >> beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
    >> to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
    >> minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.
    >
    >If you have a computer running WIRNS (search Replay forum at
    >avsforums.com) you can activate "showguard" and pad the end a variable
    >amount.

    This (showguard) will remain set after you disconnect WiRNS. Mine has
    for several months now.

    > "Sportsguard" will similarly pad the end of only Sports
    >programs. Nothing will pad the beginning globally.
    >
    >Considering that this can be done to the individual channels with
    >greater flexibility, it isn't worth the effort or the potential
    >problems.

    However, such individual padding can NOT be applied to theme channels,
    so is of very limited benefit.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    I don't think there is a way, I do think TV stations need to check THEIR
    clocks against the National Bureau of Standards more often cause
    watching LIVE TV I often see shows starting before their scheduled time,
    and my watch is set to the NBS/NIST standards

    jwardl wrote:
    > Even though I have my RTV set-up with a wireless bridge and the built-in
    > timeclock is updated on every connection, I've noticed that most recordings
    > get the first 30 seconds or so clipped. This is sometimes a problem at the
    > end of various shows as well.
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a way to GLOBALLY apply an extra minute to the
    > beginning and/or end of recording times? I know each program can be edited
    > to add extra time to the beginning and/or end, but I'd like this extra
    > minute to be automatically applied to EVERY program.
    >
    > Yes, I realize the complications that could arise if recording two shows
    > back-to-back. Just wondering if there's a way.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:31:19 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >I don't think there is a way, I do think TV stations need to check THEIR
    >clocks against the National Bureau of Standards more often cause
    >watching LIVE TV I often see shows starting before their scheduled time,
    >and my watch is set to the NBS/NIST standards

    You don't suppose they do this on purpose?

    Networks enforce loyalty by teasing you with the beginning of the next
    show before you flip the dial from the last one.
    Ted Turner went the other way by starting all of his 5 minutes late.
    That way you could flip to TBS after you decided you didn't like what
    you were watching on another channel. When that show was over you had
    already missed the first 5 minutes of the next show on other channels.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:19:39 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:31:19 GMT, John in Detroit
    ><Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't think there is a way, I do think TV stations need to check THEIR
    >>clocks against the National Bureau of Standards more often cause
    >>watching LIVE TV I often see shows starting before their scheduled time,
    >>and my watch is set to the NBS/NIST standards
    >

    >You don't suppose they do this on purpose?
    >
    >Networks enforce loyalty by teasing you with the beginning of the next
    >show before you flip the dial from the last one.
    >Ted Turner went the other way by starting all of his 5 minutes late.
    >That way you could flip to TBS after you decided you didn't like what
    >you were watching on another channel. When that show was over you had
    >already missed the first 5 minutes of the next show on other channels.

    A smaller annoyance I just noticed, is that when watching a movie on
    Lifetime they'll say "You're Movie's On" then immediately show that to
    be a lie by having more commercials.

    Also, too many channels are now showing commercials DURING the show.
    Most are just on-screen graphics, but I've some (on G4TECHTV) that
    have sound too. You'll be watching a show and be interrupted with a
    (loud) BANG! CLANK! PFFFFT! CLANG! that has nothing to do with the
    current show and even hides some of it's audio.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    > Also, too many channels are now showing commercials DURING the show.

    That's the alternate use for Commercial Advance. Press the C/A button
    twice and it covers them up nicely.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:01:36 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > > Also, too many channels are now showing commercials DURING the show.
    >
    >That's the alternate use for Commercial Advance. Press the C/A button
    >twice and it covers them up nicely.

    Since the commericials I was talking about are on at THE SAME TIME as
    the show, there's no way to skip them without missing part of the
    show.

    --

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > Since the commericials I was talking about are on at THE SAME TIME as
    > the show, there's no way to skip them without missing part of the
    > show.

    I think you misunderstand. Cover, not skip.

    When you press C/A, you get a blue banner for about 15 seconds that
    covers the lower 1/6 or so of the screen. Coincidentally, that's where
    the in-show ads sit and how long they are.

    Press it twice, and the C/A setting is not disturbed.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:37:11 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> Since the commericials I was talking about are on at THE SAME TIME as
    >> the show, there's no way to skip them without missing part of the
    >> show.
    >
    >I think you misunderstand. Cover, not skip.
    >
    >When you press C/A, you get a blue banner for about 15 seconds that
    >covers the lower 1/6 or so of the screen. Coincidentally, that's where
    >the in-show ads sit and how long they are.

    The most annoying part is the NOISE (in upper case letters because
    it's loud). Does the CA button affect THAT? Anyway, you would have
    already been annyyed by the time you find out about the ad.

    >Press it twice, and the C/A setting is not disturbed.

    BTW, thinking of covering things, what I'd really like to cover is the
    PREVIEWS that come right before the show itself and tell you too much,
    therefore making actually watching the show less interesting.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I guess the shows I watch don't have noises with the ads. I may have
    been annoyed by the time the ad is on the screen, but, by covering it, I
    can actually watch the show, and not have my eyes distracted by the
    brightly-colored spinning dancing blinking ad on the bottom.

    Interestingly, the ads are a good confirmation that C/A works - I only
    ever see the ads during the first 30 seconds or so right after and just
    before a commercial break.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:35:24 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I guess the shows I watch don't have noises with the ads.

    So far I haven't seen any (noiny in-show ads) except on that one
    channel (G4TECHTV).

    > I may have
    >been annoyed by the time the ad is on the screen, but, by covering it, I
    >can actually watch the show, and not have my eyes distracted by the
    >brightly-colored spinning dancing blinking ad on the bottom.

    Another case of people being different. I would have already been
    annoyed by the intrusion, and subsequent effects would make little
    difference.

    >Interestingly, the ads are a good confirmation that C/A works - I only
    >ever see the ads during the first 30 seconds or so right after and just
    >before a commercial break.

    That's where they usually are (particularly just after).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com