A powerful PC rig

Hello, my PC is really old, 7 years, but still going strong. I however feel the need to upgrade my pc as a whole now, 2 GB RAM and 256 MB graphics quite don't do the job, Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz is not yet outdated though. I have decided to spend readily on my new PC, so that I can get assured of any new games/ softwares/ OS working smoothly on it.

So after extensive research lasting over 2 months, I have finally designed a very decent and powerful desktop rig. My budget is ~2.5-3k

So here is my rig:

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO
-A powerful and budget motherboard with USB 3.0 and PCI 3.0 ready features, cooling fans included. I am certain it can handle my rig with ease.

Processor: Intel i5 4670K Quad Core 3.4-3.8GHz
-8 MB cache and 4th Gen technology, enough to manage the whole rig?

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB 240 pin DDR3
-Enough for today's latest games and heavy softwares?

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX780 3GB GDDR5
-This should be enough for hardcore gaming and graphic intensive softwares.

Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX 1200i
-A good choice I guess, not sure though.

Storage 1: Samsung 840 pro 256 GB SSD
-For the C drive and all imp. programs.

Storage 2:Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
-Enough because of the fact that I have a 2TB Seagate external in spare.

Display: ASUS PB287Q 28" LED 4K
-Shouldn't give me trouble for the next 5-7 years.

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70
-Finally, some good looks!

Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45
-Fast and ergonomic.

OS and Software: Win 8.1 Pro and MS Office 2013 Home & Business

Total: 2.8-3k approx

I use my current PC primarily for Gaming (no real games though) and some basic programming(Visual Studio 2010), Video editting (Pinnacle Sutido 10) and graphic editing(Adobe CS6) I recently posted a thread to get some good old games for my outdated old PC lol.

But I look forward to play latest games (GTA V, BF4, CoD Ghosts alike), do some higher level programming(mIRC and heavy C++ - Visual Basic) and some video editing (Pinnacle 17.5 Plus/Ultimate). I am a VFX Under-Graduate, and into my graduation course in Advanced Animation and Special Effects. I immensely feel the need to upgrade my PC.

Looks good to me, but I would appreciate if I can get better specs in either RAM, processor or GPU without compromising on other components and quality. I probably won't get a new PC until I am good enough to earn one for myself, which is atleast 5-6 years into the future, after my PG.

I hope you understand, that I now want to play latest games which I couldn't dream of on my old PC, so please inform me if there's a fault.

Thanks!

PS: I live in India, that's why I've converted all the prices to USD for other members' convenience. Prices taken from Amazon and Flipkart. Some parts can be brought locally so effective new cost of the rig comes down to 2.7-2.9k.

Good rig, but I made some revisions. Perfessional softwares would work better with i7 and 16 gb. 1200W is unnecessary. R9 290 performs as well as gtx 780 and costs less.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZYqjBm) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZYqjBm/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $339.98 @ SuperBiiz
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $22.99 @ Micro Center
**Motherboard** | [ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fatal1tyz87killer) | $124.02 @ Newegg
**Memory** | [A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-memory-ax3u1600w8g9db) | $154.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7pd256bw) | $184.99 @ NCIX US
**Storage** | [Hitachi 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-h3ik40003272sp) | $189.99 @ B&H
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929wf34gd) | $359.99 @ Amazon
**Case** | [Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4blw) | $99.99 @ Micro Center
**Power Supply** | [SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss750km) | $139.99 @ Newegg
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615) | $89.98 @ OutletPC
**Monitor** | [Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb287q) | $618.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Keyboard** | [Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-keyboard-ch9000020na) | $129.99 @ Amazon
**Mouse** | [Razer Naga Molten Wired Laser Mouse](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/razer-mouse-rz0100280500r3m1) | $78.98 @ SuperBiiz
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $2534.87
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-30 09:30 EDT-0400 |

logainofhades

Titan
OP, that motherboard is not compatible with the CPU you chose. You want 4k resolution, you will want serious GPU power for gaming. Probably one of the few times I would recommend CF from the start.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($142.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($189.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($379.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($379.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Samsung U28D590D 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($549.00 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Wired Laser Mouse ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2689.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-30 09:50 EDT-0400

Thanks for the reply! The PC part picker website is a new discovery and uberly useful for me. You are absolutely correct about the processor and RAM, I am not into the hardware, and not a bit into electrical knowledge about how much power is enough and what motherboard works best.

You have solved my dilemma! I was concerned that I can afford a better Processor, but didn't risk taking it as I thought other components might get compromised. I didn't see that I can get a gigantic 4TB hard drive in that price lol!

Ok I saw the Gigabyte 4GB card but wasn't sure if it'll work with the rig properly. But I consider it to be the best bet.

The only issue I need to work on is to get the components, because A-Data RAM module isn't available easily here. The case is also not available. Will Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R) do?

Can you suggest some other case please?

The other elements are more or less the same. Also SeaSonic power supply will save me $100!

Also,

Thanks for replying. I was not sure about the motherboard, thanks for pointing out. Can you please tell me the better graphics card between Sapphire and Gigabyte? I 'm really confused at that.

As Fractal isn't available here, I'll finalize Corsair case.
I've heard Samsung monitors aren't as good in contrast and stuff as Asus, I currently use HP so I don't know. I have checked them out in a local store, and the Asus looked really livelier, but is it worth a buy?

I would definately with go a wireless mouse!

Ok, I got 2 brilliant replies, and now an i7 Quad and 16 GB RAM is final.
256 GB SSD-Samsung is a better bet + 4TB HDD(Samsung/Hitachi, whichever is cheaper here) final.
4 GB Gigabyte or Sapphire?
4K Samsung or Asus?
Corsair case!
Mouse and Keyboard are good, I can change them if looks are killing though!

Well for the case its more about style but the define arc 4 is one of the best in general. Corsair 750D and NZXT 440 are both great options. You could use corsair ram, but there won't be any performance difference.

So I'm going for Sapphire Radeon R9 290 and Corsair Vengeance 16 GB with 4k Asus 28" monitor. Samsung Pro 256 GB SSD + Hitachi 4TB HDD. ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4 motherboard. Intel i7 4790k. Razor BlackWidow keboard and Naga Molten Mouse-both laser and wired. I got Fractal cases here so I'll go with it. CPU cooler Hyper EVO from Cooler Master. Looks good?

I'll start getting my components as soon as it gets a nod from here!

Will G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) PC RAM do? Thank God its available here!

And how different is 2133 MHz (http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-ripjawsx-ddr3-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-pc-ram-f3-2133c9d-16gxh/p/itmd9f8ghbrd3zpr?pid=RAMD9F8ACBUQZQF7&icmpid=reco_pp_hSame__4) from 1600MHz(http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-ripjawsx-ddr3-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-pc-ram-f3-12800cl10d-16gbxl/p/itmd8bc6bjdvpucr)?

logainofhades

Titan
The 2133 is faster, but not noticeably so for your use. Stick with the 1600. The 2133 is really only a benefit if using an AMD APU. I have 2133 because it was on sale for the same prices as the 1600 when I bought it.

Eggz

Distinguished

Ha, that happens here sometimes. I'd say to get the fastest RAM you can get if it's roughly the same price, but don't spend money just to get fast RAM - not worth it. Also, by "fast," I mean primarily lower latencies. You'll see them written our with dashes . . . like this "9-9-11-24." The lower the number the better. So getting RAM with low latency at 1866 Mhz would be better than getting high latency RAM at 2133 Mhz. Again, though, it won't make much of a difference, so don't bust the bank of RAM.

As for your case, I may have missed it, but which Corsair did you choose? I don't think you'll need anything very big for that setup, unless you like large computer boxes. Anything from the 350D and up will fit all that stuff you have. Any of the motherboards in the list below, which are slightly smaller than the one you chose (mATX rather than ATX), would give you just as much performance and expansion as the boards you're looking at (except the ASUS ROG and MSI Gaming), and you'd also be able to choose from more case sizes:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600438202%20600491547%20600009017%20600176035&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

Don't bother with that, though, if you want a big computer. There'd be no point. The upside with the boards I mentioned is that you'd be able to fit both graphics cards and still have room for another card (e.g. sound card, tv tuner, video recording, etc.) all while fitting into a smaller case.

Moving on to your SSD, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you go with the Samsung EVO rather than the Pro. The EVO would die quicker if put into a high-volume server than would the Pro, but you won't make enough writes in order for that to make a difference. For the money of a 250 GB Pro, you can get a 500 GB EVO, which is just as fast but has double the capacity. The EVO also lets you use 1GB of RAM for storage buffer, so it can actually go faster than the Pro in many instances. Finally, for the HDD, I've had the best luck with Segate after owning many HDDs (though I've never had a Hitachi).

Thanks for your input, Eggz!
Well replying to your reply step by step.

I'm planning to buy this one:
http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-ripjawsx-ddr3-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-pc-ram-f3-12800cl10d-16gbxl/p/itmd8bc6bjdvpucr
1600MHz, 10-10-10-30-2N Latency, G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 16 GB.

I chose Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB(2 x 8 GB) DDR3 PC RAM (CMY16GX3M2A1600C9) earlier.

I'm sorry, I may sound stupid, but I didn't get what you're talking about in your para 2 and 3. If its my MoBo, then I've zeroed on ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4, not ordered yet though.

Thanks for your opinion, i feel it'd be better to own EVO 500 GB as I don't see much difference between the 2, and the more deeper difference was explained ably by you. I currently own Seagate external (2 TB) and internal (240+120GB 2 internal drives on old PC) and both work just fine. So I'm confused again, Hitachi or Seagate? I hope I made sense here lol.

Sorry if I ask too many questions, its my first major build and a lot of money from my perspective is involved and I need to really work with good to heavy VFX on this one so I'm really anxious.

Eggz

Distinguished

No worries! Building is stressful because it's so precise. I see three things in your last reply: (1) RAM, (2) motherboard and case pairing, and (3) storage. I'll address them in that order.

RAM
I'll just give you a few lists of compatible kits with different latencies. The three links below are for lists of 16GB kits (2x8GB so you can upgrade later if you want) that have latencies of 7, 8, and 9, respectively (lower is better).

List of RAM kits with a CAS Latency of 7

List of RAM kits with a CAS Latency of 8

List of RAM kits with a CAS Latency of 9

Just get the one with the lowest CAS latency and highest MHz that you can afford. It's really as simple as that.

Motherboard and Case Pairing
Motherboards come in standard sizes, and cases are sold according to which motherboard size they can fit. Those sizes (from smallest to largest) are: mITX, mATX, ATX, E-ATX, and XL-ATX. You chose a motherboard between those sizes based on how many expansion slots you'll need. mITX only has only one PCI-e slot, which gives room for one expansion card, and it also has a couple SATA plugs for drives. Some mATX board will fit two full-sized graphics cards and another single-slot card in the PCI-e slots, as well as adding more SATA ports. ATX and larger all accommodate more than that in terms of both PCI-e slots and SATA ports (so more drives and cards can fit).

It doesn't sound like you'll need more than two graphics cards and a single slot card, so mATX will be large enough for your needs (assuming you won't add more than 6 drives). The link in my last post (RE: paragraphs 2-3) was incorrect, but I fixed it. It should have been this link, which contains mATX motherboards that will work for you with the exception of the boards I suggested you avoid. Those boards have PCI-e slot configurations that don't maximize your ability to add expansion cards; namely, avoid the ASUS ROG and MSI Gaming if you want to maximize your expansion (but consider those boards if you only need a single graphics card because they are very high-quality boards). Everything else on the list will work, so just pick based on whether they have the features you want (e.g. WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.).

As far as cases go, they are sold by the largest motherboard they can fit. So and ATX case can fit three board sizes (mITX, mATX, and ATX). But an ATX case can't fit anything larger than ATX (i.e. not E-ATX or XL-ATX). If you end up going with a mATX motherboard, you'll likely want to get a good "mid-tower" case that either fits mATX or ATX motherboards because that's all the space you'll need. While you can get a larger case to have marginally better airflow (e.g. full tower, super tower, etc.), doing so wastes money and space. Some people also buy larger cases because they like their computer to look like it's bigger than it really is. But if you want to save money and not waste space, a mid-tower case seems to be the best option for you based on the things you plan to get for your build, and also based on the fact that you're getting a Z97 platform. That platform only has expansion 16 PCI-e lanes, so you have an expansion limit. It allows one card at 16x, two cards at 8x, or whatever combination that doesn't exceeding 16x total. . . .

If you go go with something on that list and want to pair your mATX board with an smaller mid-tower case, then consider getting anything from this list. Below are some of the coolest mid-tower cases out right now:

Corsair 350D with Window

Corsair 350D without Window

NZXT H440 STEEL

Fractal Design Define R4 with Window

Also, this mATX case is coming out soon, and it looks awesome!

Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011070-WW Black Steel / Plastic MicroATX Mid Tower Air 240 High Airflow

Storage
If you are going to buy a new drive spinning HDD for storage in addition to the Samsung SSD (EVO 500 GB), I'd recommend Segate's HDD because they have been very reliable in my experience. Here is a list of 3.5 in storage drives ranging from 2 GB to 4 GB, sorted by drives with the most reviews on top:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%2050001305%20600003489%20600003300%20600083978%20600457700&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=100

Anything from there will be good, so just choose based on the size you want within your budget.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Ok now that was REALLY informative reply, thanks a ton! I feel really more knowledgeable now :D

I've made major changes, and the end product looks like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($243.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES.3 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($275.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: HP DVD1265I DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB287Q 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($618.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-180 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($37.21 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Wired Gaming Keyboard ($90.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Wired Laser Mouse ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2809.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-01 23:39 EDT-0400

My budget is $3k so they fit smoothly into it.

RAM: chose the least latency RAM as I don't mind spend $30 more for it.

MoBo: I chose ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 MoBo, I know its bigger than my current needs, but an eventful future awaits! It got space for SLI too, if I ever need that. I guess its enough to accommodate my needs and more.

Case: I liked the Fractal case, but my PPP showed some incompatibility by saying that my GPU is bigger than it can accommodate so I'll have to cut on my drive slots. Being extra cautious, I chose an ATX Full Tower, and it can also support my future builds well.

HDD and SSD: Samsung EVO is awesome 500GB SSD. I have Seagate HDDs both internal and external, and feel there's no real need to switch, so I stick with 4TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD.

I still have ~$200 in my pocket according to PPP, but I don't live in Europe or America, so the price hike will get accommodated in that, its not that much anyways!

I now feel I'm close to finalize this one, shall I? Its good?

PS: I've a $500 giant PC multipurpose table for my build, with lots of room and air flow. Space isn't a problem here. It currently accommodates my PC with speakers (2.1), an all in one printer, scanner, my CD and game titles, my books, UPS and more.

Eggz

Distinguished
I think that's pretty good. Space isn't always an issue, as you point out. I think I'm just more sensitive to it than normal because I live in NYC, where every bit of space counts. You might be able to shave off a little money from the build if you go with another 4TB model from Segate. The tradeoff would be less cache (which isn't a big deal) but a much shorter warranty (which may be a deal breaker). The drive you chose has a 5 yr and others have 1-2 yrs.

Also, that AsRock is a great motherboard. Do you plan to ever experiment with doing a "Hackintosh?" If so, Gigabyte or Asus will be most compatible, but otherwise there's no need.

Cooler - If you're going to get a really big case, you might as well consider using your extra money on the biggest all-in-one liquid cooler you can get. The cooling capacity increases as the cooler gets larger, and the Corsair H110 is the largest all-in-one liquid cooler I know of.

Right now you can get a refurbished on from NewEgg and use the "promo code" EMCPCHA82 for additional discounts. It's usually a $135 cooler, but the discount brings it down to $64.99! You'll be able to cool any CPU in the future with that thing, even overclock the larger Extreme Edition CPUs if you upgrade down the line. But it will also help you overclock your 4970k without having to worry about temperature.

[See bottom of the list]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001459&IsNodeId=1&Description=corsair%20h110&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

Haha I can understand lol! I'd rather go for warranty here because their customer service and replacement scheme is just awesome! I got my whole HDD replaced a couple of years ago for a dent on the outer body lol.

I would certainly not do any sort of hacking, I know what you mean though. I'd stick to ASROCK as there's no need.

Well that's an awesome idea, but I don't live in USA, not even in the Americas or Europe for that matter. I'll get from any good Indian peripheral retailer from upwards of $160 (converted value from INR). I don't think spending $150 (the least) is worth it? Or is it?

If cooling is that important in terms of OCing and upgrading, can you suggest me some less costlier liquid coolers that do the job, not the best maybe, but can handle extreme editions as you said. Anything above $100 from NewEgg or Amazon, would cost about $20 more here, especially coolers and fans as they are not sold as enthusiastically as other parts. I had a tough time getting all the parts at reasonable prices here! Right now excluding CPU cooler it comes to around $2890(converted from INR), shipping included. So I got about $100 for the cooler.

Eggz

Distinguished
Yes, if you have all of the parts for over clocking, cooling is the most important thing. The two things that limit how fast you can turn of the speed of your CPU are (1) your CPU's potential, and (2) temperatures. The 4790k has a decent amount of potential. When you turn up the speed, the CPU gets hotter. You'll need something that can absorb and dissipate all the heat your cpu can generate while going as fast as it can.

If you want to save money, there are also very good air coolers. They are good or not depending on how big they are and how quiet they are. The biggest, quietest air cooler I know of is the Noctua D-15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJCuyddwoZD0dEp-YCrzNKcqoVZi36vJoZ6UvC3Ha570aApiL8P8HAQ&Item=N82E16835608045&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-CPU+Fans+%26+Heatsinks-_-N82E16835608045&ef_id=USER1QAABdEfrTvU:20140802163622:s

It's right up on the edge of your budget, but it will perform as well or better than the Corsair H100i (which I have and is very good), and it works almost as well as the H110 (which is about as much cooling as you can get without switching to a custom water cooling loop).

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15/6.html

Below is a piture from the TechPowerUp review I linked above. It give "typical load temperatures" of a 4770k overclocked to 4.2 Ghz for a long list of high-end coolers. The D-15 is clearly awesome. It's the pinacle of air cooling and even keeps an LGA1150 chip even cooler than some of the best all-in-one liquid coolers.

CPU_OC_typical_a.gif

I see. Well, after extensive research on the prices, I figured out that I can get the H100i @ $135 approx, the H110 @ $150 approx. I could not find NH-D15 anywhere near me or online in India. But stores do have NH-D14 for $145.

Also, I just tried to sink in the fact that I'm spending so much on the PC, why shall I leave just this stone unturned? I don't wanna regret not buying liquid/ best air cooler later. So I've one last question for you, shall I finalize H110 @$150, it'll over hop my budget just by around $50, but as you said it guarantees better outcome. Whats your say on this?

I really wanna rest assured for the next 5-7 years, that I don't need to buy a new PC, a few minor upgrades in RAM or GPU maybe, and I'll have to OC my CPU, but not more than that. I really don't want my CPU to develop problems because of heat issues.

I'm given around $1.5k every 3-4 years by my parents to build a new rig or upgrade the old one. The last time I got it, I saved it for this time, so its a 7-8 year wait coming to an end, and I hope to last this one as much, thereby buy the next one from my own money :)

PS: You've been really helpful, kudos to your knowledge and nature!

Eggz

Distinguished

Yeah, no problem! Also, exciting!

As for the cooler, they will all have enough potential for your CPU. The H110 has the most cooling but no digital controls or lights. The H100i and the Noctua D-14 have about the same cooling but look and function totally different. The only advantage to the H100i over these is that it has digital control and cool lighting effects.

H110 for max cooling
H100i for looks
D-14 for less money

I'll go for performance over looks and less money. I like myself comfortable rather than fashionable or save up on fabric of my clothes, the same way the CPU must need some cooling rather than looking fancy or saving up and be less comfortable. I know that's a crappy comparison lol! So H110 final! I'll order the parts tomorrow. Cheers! :D

I'm just too happy that its finalized now. YESSS! :D

Thanks a ton buddy, you were the greatest help, sigh I can't give you a solution tag on this post as its a discussion, thanks for your time :)

Eggz

Distinguished
Cool, the last thing I would check would be the case compatibility with that H110's radiator. The case specs says it fits a 280mm Radiator when you use a "slim" radiator, but it doesn't say what that means. Should be okay, but you might want to check.