HBO/Dolby Digital

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I noticed recently when Tivo'ing "Empire Falls" from DirecTV that none
of the TIVO guide data specifies "Dolby Digital" for this mini-series.
The episodes that were recorded so far are not playing back in DD either.

**Yes, I have my Audio preferences set to "Record & Playback in Dolby
Digital When Available".

I've looked through the guide data, and it's not listing "DD" for ANY
HBO programming...Any ideas???
3 answers Last reply
More about hbo dolby digital
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    David B. wrote:
    > I noticed recently when Tivo'ing "Empire Falls" from DirecTV that none
    > of the TIVO guide data specifies "Dolby Digital" for this mini-series.
    > The episodes that were recorded so far are not playing back in DD
    > either.
    > **Yes, I have my Audio preferences set to "Record & Playback in Dolby
    > Digital When Available".
    >
    > I've looked through the guide data, and it's not listing "DD" for ANY
    > HBO programming...Any ideas???

    Every program on HBO is transmitted in DD: Either 2.0 or 5.1. Are you
    saying that Empire Falls came in with a PCM stream only?

    --
    David G.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    David G. wrote:
    > David B. wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed recently when Tivo'ing "Empire Falls" from DirecTV that none
    >> of the TIVO guide data specifies "Dolby Digital" for this mini-series.
    >> The episodes that were recorded so far are not playing back in DD
    >> either.
    >> **Yes, I have my Audio preferences set to "Record & Playback in Dolby
    >> Digital When Available".
    >>
    >> I've looked through the guide data, and it's not listing "DD" for ANY
    >> HBO programming...Any ideas???
    >
    >
    > Every program on HBO is transmitted in DD: Either 2.0 or 5.1. Are you
    > saying that Empire Falls came in with a PCM stream only?
    >

    There were two problems involved:
    The first is that the TiVo guide data does not specify "Dolby Digital"
    for any showings of "Empire Falls". Despite that, the episodes are being
    shown in 5.1 on HBO1.

    There was also a problem with my audio receiver (after a recent power
    outage the inputs got reset and it wasn't set to the correct 'digital
    in' from the Tivo box.) Once I corrected the input assignment,
    it was playing back in DD.

    It still doesn't explain why TiVo no longer specifies which movies are
    being shown in DD. It used to do this.....
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    David B. wrote:
    > David G. wrote:
    >> David B. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I noticed recently when Tivo'ing "Empire Falls" from DirecTV that
    >>> none of the TIVO guide data specifies "Dolby Digital" for this
    >>> mini-series. The episodes that were recorded so far are not playing
    >>> back in DD either.
    >>> **Yes, I have my Audio preferences set to "Record & Playback in
    >>> Dolby Digital When Available".
    >>>
    >>> I've looked through the guide data, and it's not listing "DD" for
    >>> ANY HBO programming...Any ideas???
    >>
    >>
    >> Every program on HBO is transmitted in DD: Either 2.0 or 5.1. Are you
    >> saying that Empire Falls came in with a PCM stream only?
    >>
    >
    > There were two problems involved:
    > The first is that the TiVo guide data does not specify "Dolby Digital"
    > for any showings of "Empire Falls". Despite that, the episodes are
    > being shown in 5.1 on HBO1.
    >
    > There was also a problem with my audio receiver (after a recent power
    > outage the inputs got reset and it wasn't set to the correct 'digital
    > in' from the Tivo box.) Once I corrected the input assignment,
    > it was playing back in DD.
    >
    > It still doesn't explain why TiVo no longer specifies which movies are
    > being shown in DD. It used to do this.....

    I checked Empire Falls today and it was in 5.1. I have not checked the
    description. I assume that when you say "which movies are being shown in
    DD," you really mean which movies are being shown in DD 5.1. As I've
    said, all programs on HBO and HBOW are transmitted in DD. Some are in DD
    2.0. Most recent movies are in DD 5.1. But they are both DD.

    --
    David G.
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Tivo Tivo Dolby