Outrageous Price for a "Factory-Sealed" CLD-97?

NOT my auction:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5775359663>

1. No picture = no proof that he/she actually has the goods.

2. A stupid grey font color that is barely readable.

3. Did this player even cost $2,480 when it was new ten years ago?
I've only seen the HLD-X9 go for that much. I MIGHT consider shelling
out $500 for it (assuming that it's legit, of course), however, even
$500 is a hefty price for a "dead" format player IMHO.

-Junior
13 answers Last reply
More about outrageous price factory sealed cld

    Dave Garrett wrote:
    > when's the last time you saw a brand-new CLD-97?

    Never (even just a picture of one that is brand-new).

    And after viewing this auction, still never. :-)

    -Junior

    In article <1116344315.824426.266490@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    watsona@kenyon.edu says...

    > NOT my auction:
    >
    > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5775359663>
    >
    > 1. No picture = no proof that he/she actually has the goods.
    >
    > 2. A stupid grey font color that is barely readable.
    >
    > 3. Did this player even cost $2,480 when it was new ten years ago?
    > I've only seen the HLD-X9 go for that much. I MIGHT consider shelling
    > out $500 for it (assuming that it's legit, of course), however, even
    > $500 is a hefty price for a "dead" format player IMHO.

    IIRC, the MSRP for both the CLD-97 and the CLD-99 was close to $2500. By
    way of comparison, the MSRP for a CLD-D704 was a bit more than $1200.

    My guess is that this is a relatively new eBay seller who has an
    overinflated idea of what this player is actually worth - a common
    malady afflicting newcomers to eBay. I don't think there's anyone in the
    market for one who'd pay that much - if you're going to drop that kind
    of cash on an LD player, you'd probably go all the way and cough up a
    bit more for an HLD-X9. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it fetched
    close to $1000 if the seller lowered the opening bid to something
    realistic and if it's really as represented - when's the last time you
    saw a brand-new CLD-97?

    Dave

    On 17 May 2005 08:38:35 -0700, "unclejr" <watsona@kenyon.edu> wrote:

    >NOT my auction:
    >
    ><http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5775359663>
    >
    >1. No picture = no proof that he/she actually has the goods.
    >
    >2. A stupid grey font color that is barely readable.
    >
    >3. Did this player even cost $2,480 when it was new ten years ago?
    >I've only seen the HLD-X9 go for that much. I MIGHT consider shelling
    >out $500 for it (assuming that it's legit, of course), however, even
    >$500 is a hefty price for a "dead" format player IMHO.
    >
    >-Junior
    Checking out the seller's other auctions, the starting bids are
    extremely high on all of them. And not one of them has a single bid.
    Coincidence? I think not!
    John

    A lot of interest still if it is indeed a dead format player. Lots of
    purists still prefer LD to DVD...

    "Dave Garrett" <dave@compassnet.com> wrote in message
    > IIRC, the MSRP for both the CLD-97 and the CLD-99 was close to $2500.
    > By
    > way of comparison, the MSRP for a CLD-D704 was a bit more than $1200.

    They were $2,499.99 and $1,499.99 respectively, I believe.

    $500 would be a steal for that player....I just sold my USED CLD-97 two
    months ago for $650 to a fella in Norway!
    For a collector with a very large LD library and deep pockets....$2500 not
    that big of a deal for a brand new CLD-97.

    I take it all back.....contacted member about item. They (she) is totally
    rude.....would not take the player for free from this seller.......yeah,
    her e-mail reply WAS that bad!

    redline1 wrote:
    > I take it all back.....contacted member about item. They (she) is
    > totally rude.....would not take the player for free from this
    > seller.......yeah, her e-mail reply WAS that bad!

    It's not like you are the epitome of kindness and gentility...

    -Junior

    "Sound By Singer" has had a CLD-97 sitting stagnant at $800 for MONTHS
    with no takers and another one has been up for several days at $700,
    which includes a Star Wars boxset and Criterion copies of Blade Runner
    and Akira with no bites. The prices for some of these players actually
    seem to have dipped over the last several months for one reason or
    another, but opened or not, $2,480 for a CLD-97 seems very high to me.

    <<My guess is that this is a relatively new eBay seller who has an
    overinflated idea of what this player is actually worth - a common
    malady afflicting newcomers to eBay. >>

    I'd bet you're right. I've seen a couple of players go unsold over the
    last 2-3 months because they had ridiculous starting prices. I've
    noticed that a lot of these players seem to be under-selling where I
    remember them being last year too.

    ALL LD players prices have dropped as compared to less than even a year
    ago. They require too much maintenance for most owners.
    External line doubler needed at minimum, scaler, and above all the
    non-anamporphic titles, 99% anyway.
    Since new HDTV's prices have been getting more affordable year after year,
    many have simply kicked their LD to the curb or are trying to get whatever
    residual value for their player on Ebay.
    Star Wars released on DVD surely escalated this.

    <<External line doubler needed at minimum, scaler, and above all the
    non-anamporphic titles, 99% anyway.>>

    I think you can still get acceptable levels of performance simply from
    a good player and a good television. Laserdisc still looks better than
    broadcast television.

    <<many have simply kicked their LD to the curb or are trying to get
    whatever
    residual value for their player on Ebay.
    Star Wars released on DVD surely escalated this.>>

    Well I'm actually glad about it. If prices keep dropping, I'll pick up
    another player sometime in the next year when prices are really in the
    toilet.

    if you think $2500 isn't too high for a cld-97, i'll sell you my runco ljrII
    and an EAD Smartchord AC-3 demodulator [listed for $895] for $2500, with
    pleasure, shipping on me anywhere in the world. this i would replace with an
    hld-X9. as for library, i have about 2400 titles. a fair price for a seaed
    cld-97 today would be no more than $750 [remember, no warranty.] enjoy --:)
    i sold a cld-99 for $1200 in 1999, and another one for $1000 in year 2000.
    "redline1" <retel1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > $500 would be a steal for that player....I just sold my USED CLD-97 two
    > months ago for $650 to a fella in Norway!
    > For a collector with a very large LD library and deep pockets....$2500 not
    > that big of a deal for a brand new CLD-97.

Laser Disc Players Video