Incorrect or bad answers marked as "Solved"

It always bother me (as in this example) when a bad or just plain incorrect answer is marked as the solution to a question. I feel that it perpetuates false and misleading information.

I know it's possible, but I don't know if etiquette or convention permits a 3rd party to remove a "Solved" flag selected by the OP if it is attached to something that's patently and provably wrong (and is not just an opinion).

Solution

Thank you, that's very helpful. I mainly follow what you said anyway but its good to know exactly what the...
If the OP selected the BA, you may not change it under any circumstances, excluding a clear request by the OP.

If someone else selected it, feel free to change it, and consider reporting the person.

Also, please don't select a solution on recent threads; it's largely there for times when the OP disappears without selection one.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info. :)

The rules are very simple:

1. If the thread originator has chosen an answer you leave it alone, period.
2. If you come across an obviously abandoned thread (2 or more months) with no chosen answer you may choose one.
3. If you come across a thread with an answer that is obviously wrong, or a better one exists, you may change it, unless the answer was chosen by the thread originator, in which case you leave it as is.
4. You do not choose an answer in an active thread unless you are the thread originator.

The moderator team is quite good at spotting and dealing with abuse of the BA system, so be very careful with the power.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Thank you, that's very helpful. I mainly follow what you said anyway but its good to know exactly what the rules are. :)

Solution