Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 Thermal problem cant oc(stock Temps too high)

Last response: in Overclocking
July 30, 2014 10:33:53 AM

hello dear tom's hw community
my computer is from 2007 with:
a q6600 cpu g0@2.4ghz,1.3250 V stock values
mobo: gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
430gt gpu(my 470 gtx just died so did my 8800gt 3.5 years ago)
4gb ddr3 corsair memory 1066 Mhz
cooling: air not stock(zalman fan)
case: suprano RS by TT
last cleaned(with air pressure): 1 month ago.

And i think that my temps are a lil bit too high, even on stock.
Max is while running prime 65 for 2 minutes and Mintemp is idle with a fan(big one) on in my room(its hot ^^).
ambient temp: 27 degrees
PC case: open
coretemp stock temps:

closed case temps here

on stock the computer began to beep(it did just one beep) after about 2 mins.
It also beeped for the first time a year ago while rendering something in 3ds max(it was the only time it did so in normal use).

When I tried to overclock to 3 ghz(auto voltage), idle was almost the same but the prime65 temps were in 87 in like 10 secs which made the computer beep fast(thermal protection) and made me shutting it off in order to revert.
it never beeped in crysis bf4 LoL nfs wolfenstein and watchdogs.

any suggestion on how to get my temps down?
thermal paste replace?(its about 4 years old)
undervolting?(already tried lowering to 1.25 but for some reason it did not stick and coretemp still shows 1.325...)

PS: I think that core temp shows the temprature + 10 becuase my q6600 tjmax is 90 degrees C and not 100.
besides my mobo is set to beep in 70+ and it beeps when core temp says 83+

Thank you in advance.

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2014 11:04:17 AM

Yeah its a bit old you know... arthritis, brittle bones etc... you know how it is! :lol: 

Anyways, what to do... your thermal compound could be starting to dry up and fall in efficiency. Take everything apart, do some good cleaning and reapply. If you're steady handed, then you could also open up the heat spreader and reapply the thermal paste there.

But when you remove the cooler be careful! Don't just yank it off since the old thermal compound may have stuck the CPU hard to the cooler. Do some twists, then gently remove... you know the rest.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2014 11:12:11 AM

i have the q6600, and i got it from an old gateway computer. when i first got it the paste was all dried up and not working well, so i replaced that. also, i have done the bsel/tape mod to jump the fsb from 1066 to 1333, making the cpu go from 2.4ghz to 3ghz. i'll post prime95 results in a sec once i get it running.

i have a tower cooler that came in the gateway oem case that looks like this: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=27xgx21&s=6#.U9k1ZPlr5J...
i switched cases though so theres no side vent, it seems to be barely pulling air over the side of the cone, so id imagine its close to the stock cooler in performance
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2014 11:26:16 AM

heres my coretemp after running prime95, large ffts, for 10 minutes: http://i.imgur.com/PFJCsAT.png

max of 80 degrees celcius, with the slight fsb overclock. id say change the paste before anything else
July 30, 2014 11:27:58 AM

@jshoop
thank you i have an air cone too but in my case its strapped to the side cover.
i have no side vent only a rear and a cpu one. airflow is not a problem when the case is open and the temps are the same with case close hence the air flow is not the problem itself.
i guess my paste is dried out too.
waiting for your core temp results.
i've heard of that tape trick before... is it safe? does it need an over volt?

edit: what are your ambient temps???
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2014 11:49:57 AM

im using an intel desktop board, which means they disable almost every feature in the bios, so i didnt need to change the voltage.

what the tape mod does is it tricks the motherboard into thinking you have a different processor, so the motherboard adjusts to run the processor at full speed. the fsb bumps up and then the cpu bumps us as well. as far as i know its safe as long as you take your time. it took me a few minutes to put the tape on there, pins are smaller than they seem. i'll link you to a guide and stuff for how i did it.

my house doesnt really use a precise thermostat, but since my computer is next to 2 open windows im gonna go with a little less than the temps outside. so id guestimate the ambient temps are about 25 to 27 degrees celcius. right now my temps are in the mid/high 40s.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2014 11:57:30 AM

this is how i did it: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attac...

i used this guide to help me learn what happens, but they use a different method.
http://www.overclock.net/t/341123/intel-bsel-vid-mod-gu...

heres the main parts that i used:

"Notes

•This is still an overclock, so it would be wise to stress test using Orthos, Prime95 Etc.
•To reverse the mod, simple remove the pin connections.
•It may be necessary to reset the BIOS to apply the mod.
•Intel Speedstep still works with the mod applied.
•Some motherboards use the CPUID to calculate the CPU FSB and not the pins, this mod WILL NOT work on these motherboards."

i did it with electrical tape like in the picture. i cut a tiny rectangle out and used a needle to position it on the pin. then i chopped off the part hanging off on the side, reseated the processor, paste, cooler, etc. started up fine. my bios didnt change, but cpu-z showed the cpu and fsb bumped up to the right levels.

you need to take all the precautions you always take when working with computer components and stuff. no static electricity, being careful, taking your time, etc
July 30, 2014 12:00:42 PM

Yeah I guessed your room temp be around my temp here in netanya israel(~25-27).
I also used the google now temprature^^ as my house doesnt have a thermostat too.

about your mobo that explains why you had to do this trick...
my board is sort of a high endish(gigabyte mb) board of that time. hence i can change everything(timing voltage fsb ram ratios...) in the bios
i've read somewhere else that this trick should only be done on propriety(dell intel etc...) mother boards that don't allow changing the fsb(i can so I guess i'll pas on that one...)
thank you very much
at least i know my idle temps are not weird.(when removing 10 degrees due to core temp thinking you have 100 degrees Tj)
now about the torture temps i'll need to work on that.
just one question about removing my paste, can i do this while my mb is still in the case while the case is being on the floor?
is it fine against static electricity?
July 30, 2014 12:04:32 PM

seen this pic before yeah (which is wrong i think? it only covers one pin here)
it seems like everytime i try to answer you, you already make another post ^^
anyway thank you i'll be changing my paste soon.
edit: yesssss i posted before you did^^

btw how comes your voltage is so low yet you boot fine?
July 30, 2014 1:02:23 PM

BigBadBeef said:
Yeah its a bit old you know... arthritis, brittle bones etc... you know how it is! :lol: 

Anyways, what to do... your thermal compound could be starting to dry up and fall in efficiency. Take everything apart, do some good cleaning and reapply. If you're steady handed, then you could also open up the heat spreader and reapply the thermal paste there.

But when you remove the cooler be careful! Don't just yank it off since the old thermal compound may have stuck the CPU hard to the cooler. Do some twists, then gently remove... you know the rest.

thank you for answering too btw^^
yeah i have thought it would stick a bit to it so pulling it out in superstrength was not my original intention.

what is the heat spreader btw? do you mean the cooling fins compound or that metal square(which i dont think comes off^^)?

edit: oh these square spreaders do come off... but i think i might pass on removing it^^
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2014 1:22:35 PM

if your motherboard is unlocked you wont need to worry with taping the pin or anything.

to change your paste you can keep everything in the case. if its a deep case it might be a little awkward but theres enough room to work around and see everything. if the floor is carpet i would advise against putting it the floor. i'm unlucky because my whole house is carpeted, so what i do is i move everything off my desk (its a small corner desk) and lay my case down on its side. i stand in one spot and dont move, so i dont get static electricity on me. then i do everything, and touch the metal on the case frequently.

ive seen many ways to do the mod, theres many different processors you can do it to. i didnt want to worry about connecting the pins, or taping multiple, so i went with the easiest one. Also, i think i found a thread specifically about the q6600 and it said the one pin taped over.

i'm not sure why my voltages are so low. i think that because it just bumped the fsb speed up (front side bus), which connects the cpu and memory, it made the processor work faster? i have no idea, but it works so im not complaining.

for the heatspreader, bigbadbeef is talking about this: http://imgur.com/D09Ny
the metal plate between the cpu cores and the cpu cooler. intel puts a small amount of paste between there, and replacing the paste is also called delidding. it comes off with very careful hands and a razer blade
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2014 6:36:04 AM

Yossi Cohen said:
what is the heat spreader btw? do you mean the cooling fins compound or that metal square(which i dont think comes off^^)?

"that metal square"? Lol haven't had it described like that before. And yes it does come off, the CPU underneath is under an additional layer of thermal compound and attached to the "metal square" as you are so fond in naming it. You can slice it off like a thin layer of turkey using a very sharp scalpel or razor blade (not used).

'dat metal square... -.-
Hehehe lol ubergeek!:lol: 
!