How do I test a LD player for quality?

I have several LD players, I'd like to know which would be best for
doing some tranfers of LDs to DVD. What would be good tests to do? I
have discs like AVS and some factory service discs. Is there a
quantitative way to check for crosstalk? They all look pretty good to
me.

Here is what I have...

Runco LJR-I (i think it's a CLD-97 inside)
Philips CDV-487
Philips CDV-488
EAD T-7000 (can anyone tell me what this is based on?)

Aaron
5 answers Last reply
More about test player quality

    Huh? The Runco is a Panasonic?

    Did you change your mind from when you posted this (below)?

    Thanks!

    Kurtis Bahr Jan 22 2002, 5:48 pm show options
    Newsgroups: alt.video.laserdisc
    From: Kurtis Bahr <k...@erols.com> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:53:49 -0500
    Subject: Re: LD Player Technical Measurments - Part 1, Runco, Pioneer
    97 and Carver

    Volume 6 Issue23 talks about the Runco LJR-I Vs. the 97 and that the
    Runco
    is actually a 97 with their changes. Just like the McIntosh MLD-7020
    is a
    modified CLD-97. Now the Runco LJR-II was THX certified, uncertain it
    there were any differences other than replacing the ugly front with an
    attractive one as it was also based on the 97. I have not seen a Runco
    player so I cannot say if it is really better than the 97 but it
    definitely would not be worse.

    The Runco is a Panasonic LX-900U
    The CDV-487 is a CDV-488 without the digital memory options.
    Cannot remember who EAD used, it will be either Pioneer or Panasonic.

    If your Philips CDV-488 does not show any herringbone (crosstalk) then it
    would be good. A properly adjusted one is nice, the key is properly
    adjusted. Then you can play with the digital picture button to determine if
    you prefer the pure analog picture or the digital picture which is what all
    the other machines will have.

    Kurtis

    On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:34:54 -0400, "Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >The Runco is a Panasonic LX-900U
    >The CDV-487 is a CDV-488 without the digital memory options.
    >Cannot remember who EAD used, it will be either Pioneer or Panasonic.
    >
    >If your Philips CDV-488 does not show any herringbone (crosstalk) then it
    >would be good. A properly adjusted one is nice, the key is properly
    >adjusted. Then you can play with the digital picture button to determine if
    >you prefer the pure analog picture or the digital picture which is what all
    >the other machines will have.
    >
    >Kurtis

    I've found that always, consistently, a somewhat noisier but more
    "natural"picture dubs better than one with any sort of digital look.
    Also the less smearing the better. My CLD D703 has a better picture
    for watching, maybe, but the softer Sony LDP-2000 with no ringing or
    smearing at all and no artificiality to the image makes the nicest
    dubs. The capture is to AVI then that is rendered to Mpeg, sometimes
    with a noise reduction filter, and the DVD created from that. When it
    was working the modified CLD-S201 also gave better results (not
    typically for that model however.)

    ... Steve ..

    ><krellboy@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have several LD players, I'd like to know which would be best for
    >> doing some tranfers of LDs to DVD. What would be good tests to do? I
    >> have discs like AVS and some factory service discs. Is there a
    >> quantitative way to check for crosstalk? They all look pretty good to
    >> me.
    >>
    >> Here is what I have...
    >>
    >> Runco LJR-I (i think it's a CLD-97 inside)
    >> Philips CDV-487
    >> Philips CDV-488
    >> EAD T-7000 (can anyone tell me what this is based on?)
    >>

    >> Aaron

    Back in 2002 that is what I thought from reading the article in an older
    "The Perfect Vision" magazine. Later I learned it was not a Pioneer and
    then I worked on one and verified it definitely is a Panasonic LX-900U with
    the contrast AGC corrected.

    I do have a EAD T-7000 but it was a cheap gift and it does not have all the
    parts so I was never able to test it.

    > Huh? The Runco is a Panasonic?
    >
    > Did you change your mind from when you posted this (below)?
    >
    > Thanks!

    > Kurtis Bahr Jan 22 2002, 5:48 pm show options
    > Newsgroups: alt.video.laserdisc
    > From: Kurtis Bahr <k...@erols.com> - Find messages by this author
    > Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:53:49 -0500
    > Subject: Re: LD Player Technical Measurments - Part 1, Runco, Pioneer
    > 97 and Carver
    >
    > Volume 6 Issue23 talks about the Runco LJR-I Vs. the 97 and that the
    > Runco
    > is actually a 97 with their changes. Just like the McIntosh MLD-7020
    > is a
    > modified CLD-97. Now the Runco LJR-II was THX certified, uncertain it
    > there were any differences other than replacing the ugly front with an
    > attractive one as it was also based on the 97. I have not seen a Runco
    > player so I cannot say if it is really better than the 97 but it
    > definitely would not be worse.

    <<Runco LJR-I (i think it's a CLD-97 inside)>>
    All Runco players were made/designed by MSB Technologies based on
    Panasonic transports.....the audio/video sections were all beefed
    up....video sections were hand calibrated/tweaked at factory.....chasis
    damped etc.
    <<EAD T-7000>>...based on Pioneer transports....there's a sweet one on
    Videogon right now....nice guy, bought a Nordost Optix cable from him...if
    I had room for a 3rd LD player..LOL
    Currently:
    McIntosh 7020b (CLD-97) and MSB LS2 (LJRII)

Laser Disc Players Philips Video