Choosing between motherboards

Waltz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello.

Since I'm a newbie i dont know if i'm posting this thread in the right spot if i'm not you guys will hopefully tell me.
Anyways 2 weeks ago I built a new pc with a Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer and an FX 6300 (dont know if the rest of the specs are needed) and im very happy with both but i feel the board has way more features than what i need.

Yesterday i saw this MSI 970 GAMING SKT AM3+ wich kinda seems cool and its farely cheaper than the asrock. I do some gaming but i also do some overclocking and i might upgrade to a FX 8350 in the future.

So what do you guys recommend stay with the 990fx or downgrade to the msi?

Dw you got the right place!

If you are gaming and doing overclocking, stay with the AsRock. Downgrading will mean poorer quality components and not as good power phase design = not so good overclocking. Definitely, if you are planning on FX 8350, you want to be at 990x at the least, if not 990fx.

The Msi is a definate no no, if at all you were downgrading, I would recommend the ASUS M5a99x but what you have is an excellent board. Keep it and enjoy it!

Waltz

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks for the quick answers. I guess i will stay with the asrock since im very happy with it. Here where I live downgrading to the ASUS M5a99x isn't worth it as both boards cost fairly the same. By the way what is the difference between 990x and 990fx?

990x supports up 6 SATA3 ports and SLI/CF up 8/8. 990fx can support up to 8 SATA3 ports and CF/SLI up to 16/16 and 16/16/8.