TIVO to go for series 1

I'd be willing to pay for it. What's the hold up?
15 answers Last reply
More about tivo series

    In my evolving opinion wrote:
    > I'd be willing to pay for it. What's the hold up?

    Then pay for it by buying a Series 2. You can get them for $50 w/ rebate.

    Randy S.

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 02:22:49 -0700, "In my evolving opinion" <no@email.com>
    wrote:

    > I'd be willing to pay for it. What's the hold up?

    They said it's not going to happen. Not worth the investment to make
    everything happen on the old hardware.

    --
    "It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
    reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we

    "In my evolving opinion" <no@email.com> wrote in message

    > I'd be willing to pay for it. What's the hold up?

    You can get your Series 1 to do everything that TivoToGo does (and it will
    do it a lot faster). There are a few simple hacks that enable it to do so.
    I routinely move programs from the Tivo to my computer, and then either burn
    them to DVD or transfer them to my laptop and watch them when I travel. Do
    a google search on "tivo hacks" and "tivo video extraction."

    "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message

    > "In my evolving opinion" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'd be willing to pay for it. What's the hold up?
    >>

    > You can get your Series 1 to do everything that TivoToGo does (and it will
    > do it a lot faster). There are a few simple hacks that enable it to do
    > so. I routinely move programs from the Tivo to my computer, and then
    > either burn them to DVD or transfer them to my laptop and watch them when
    > I travel. Do a google search on "tivo hacks" and "tivo video extraction."

    It would be cheaper just to buy a series 2 with USB and an ethernet
    dongle than it would be to invest in a turbonet or tivonet card.

    RobR (nospam@nospam.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > It would be cheaper just to buy a series 2 with USB and an ethernet
    > dongle than it would be to invest in a turbonet or tivonet card.

    Not if the Series 1 has lifetime service. At around $70 for the TurboNet
    card, that's a lot cheaper than the $350-400 for a new Series 2 with
    lifetime.

    Both TiVo To Go and the hacks to get TurboNet and file transfer working
    take some user setup time, so that part pretty much balances out.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "In my evolving opinion" <no@email.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I'd be willing to pay for it. What's the hold up?
    > >>

    > > You can get your Series 1 to do everything that TivoToGo does (and it
    will
    > > do it a lot faster). There are a few simple hacks that enable it to do
    > > so. I routinely move programs from the Tivo to my computer, and then
    > > either burn them to DVD or transfer them to my laptop and watch them
    when
    > > I travel. Do a google search on "tivo hacks" and "tivo video
    extraction."

    > It would be cheaper just to buy a series 2 with USB and an ethernet
    > dongle than it would be to invest in a turbonet or tivonet card.

    Hardly. My Series 1 has a life-time subscription. The turbonet card was
    around $60. The support/hacking software was free.

    Incidently, it takes about 6 minutes to transfer a 1-hour program from my
    Tivo to my computer. Add, perhaps, another 4 minutes to create the key file
    and transcode to standard mpeg that I can burn to DVD or transfer to my
    laptop for viewing on the road.

    > RobR (nospam@nospam.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > It would be cheaper just to buy a series 2 with USB and an ethernet
    > > dongle than it would be to invest in a turbonet or tivonet card.
    >
    > Not if the Series 1 has lifetime service. At around $70 for the TurboNet
    > card, that's a lot cheaper than the $350-400 for a new Series 2 with
    > lifetime.
    >
    > Both TiVo To Go and the hacks to get TurboNet and file transfer working
    > take some user setup time, so that part pretty much balances out.

    I'm not a "Linux guy," but I got the TurboNet card and video extraction
    software working in about an hour. Add to that perhaps an hour in on-line
    research to figure out how to do it. I think two hours of my time justified
    saving $350.

    "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in news:d6sdns$14nc$1
    @spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:

    > Then pay for it by buying a Series 2. You can get them for $50 w/ rebate.

    What rebate?

    Howard wrote:
    > "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in news:d6sdns$14nc$1
    > @spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:
    >

    >>Then pay for it by buying a Series 2. You can get them for $50 w/ rebate.
    >

    > What rebate?

    Well, there was one towards the beginning of this year, a basic 40 hr
    unit for $200 w/ $50 rebate + $100 rebate once you started service. It
    looks like they've ended that deal now (and a similar one for an 80 hr
    unit for $100). But if you wait around I'm sure there'll be another
    promotion before too long.

    Randy S.

    "In my evolving opinion" <no@email.com> wrote in news:Mhhke.43821$Qp.34930
    @fed1read04:

    > I'd be willing to pay for it. What's the hold up?

    Well, it's like this:

    You can 'be willing to pay' to play DVDs in your VHS, but it ain't going to
    happen. The hardware just simply is not there.

    > Incidently, it takes about 6 minutes to transfer a 1-hour program from my
    > Tivo to my computer. Add, perhaps, another 4 minutes to create the key
    file
    > and transcode to standard mpeg that I can burn to DVD or transfer to my
    > laptop for viewing on the road.

    At what quality? The TurboNet is only 10Mbps, IIRC. I think I was doing
    half-hour cartoons in about 5 minutes the other night, but an hour at best
    would take longer, especially if you jack up the tivo's resolution/bitrate
    settings.

    Ed
    89CamaroZ28@nowherenow.com

    "Randy S." <rswitt@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

    > Well, there was one towards the beginning of this year, a basic 40 hr
    > unit for $200 w/ $50 rebate + $100 rebate once you started service. It
    > looks like they've ended that deal now (and a similar one for an 80 hr
    > unit for $100). But if you wait around I'm sure there'll be another
    > promotion before too long.

    I actually got a "Nightlight" S2 for free* at Circuit City a few weeks back.

    Ed
    89CamaroZ28@nowherenow.com

    * = assuming rebate checks show up eventually. Service not included.
    Actual mileage may vary. Past performance is not an indication of future
    results. This document may contain certain "forward-looking statements", as
    defined by the Securities and Exchange Commission. Equal Opportunity
    Lender. Prior sales excluded.

    "machinehead" <zzz@zzz.com> wrote in message

    > "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Incidently, it takes about 6 minutes to transfer a 1-hour program from my
    >> Tivo to my computer. Add, perhaps, another 4 minutes to create the key
    > file
    >> and transcode to standard mpeg that I can burn to DVD or transfer to my
    >> laptop for viewing on the road.
    >
    > At what quality? The TurboNet is only 10Mbps, IIRC. I think I was doing
    > half-hour cartoons in about 5 minutes the other night, but an hour at best
    > would take longer, especially if you jack up the tivo's resolution/bitrate
    > settings.

    The TurboNet is 100Mbps. (although I'm not sure what speed the bus it sits
    on runs at).

    You may be thinking of the older TiVo-Net adapter that let you install a
    10Mbps ISA-NIC.

    "machinehead" <zzz@zzz.com> wrote in message

    > "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Incidently, it takes about 6 minutes to transfer a 1-hour program from my
    >> Tivo to my computer. Add, perhaps, another 4 minutes to create the key
    > file
    >> and transcode to standard mpeg that I can burn to DVD or transfer to my
    >> laptop for viewing on the road.
    >
    > At what quality?

    I have a DirecTivo, so there's no quality setting.

    > The TurboNet is only 10Mbps, IIRC.

    It shows up on my routers as 100 megabit.

    > I think I was doing
    > half-hour cartoons in about 5 minutes the other night, but an hour at best
    > would take longer, especially if you jack up the tivo's resolution/bitrate
    > settings.

    As I said, this is a DirecTivo, so it is recording the same quality as
    DirecTV transmits. A one hour show is between 950 megabytes and 1.2
    gigabytes.

    > "machinehead" <zzz@zzz.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > The TurboNet is only 10Mbps, IIRC.
    >
    > It shows up on my routers as 100 megabit.

    My bad, it is indeed 100. Now I'll have to check my setup, as I'm pretty
    sure mine shows up on the switch as 10 and I definitely don't get sustained
    transfer rates above 10. Interesting.

    Ed
    89CamaroZ28@nowherenow.com

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video