Problem with multiple HDTivos

I have a triple LNB dish and two HD DirecTivos. I have the two lines coming
in from the dish going into two splitters and then into the respective
Directivos. Occasionally, one of the two directivos will lose the signal and
put up a message "looking for satellite on line 1"

I don't get this when using only one HD Directivo at a time (i.e. Unplugging
the dish cables from one receiver causes the message to disappear from the
other receiver. I'm assuming that I can't watch two different satellites on
the two different receivers simultaneously.

Does anyone have a clue as to what happened? I'm thinking the splitters are
improper, but that's just a hunch.

--
David
5 answers Last reply

    "David Leon" <dave@etexaslawyers.com> wrote in message
    >I have a triple LNB dish and two HD DirecTivos. I have the two lines coming
    > in from the dish going into two splitters and then into the respective
    > Directivos. Occasionally, one of the two directivos will lose the signal
    > and
    > put up a message "looking for satellite on line 1"
    >
    > I don't get this when using only one HD Directivo at a time (i.e.
    > Unplugging
    > the dish cables from one receiver causes the message to disappear from the
    > other receiver. I'm assuming that I can't watch two different satellites
    > on
    > the two different receivers simultaneously.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue as to what happened? I'm thinking the splitters
    > are
    > improper, but that's just a hunch.

    A) You can't use "splitters".

    B) with the HD Dish (multi-LNB) you need to run 4 lines to a 4x8
    multi-switch (or 5x8). Then 2 lines per TiVo.

    And then one day Seth said,

    > [...] with the HD Dish (multi-LNB) you need to run 4 lines to a 4x8
    multi-switch (or 5x8). Then 2 lines per TiVo.

    Is there a specific brand / model and place to purchase this that is
    generally recommended?
    --
    Dave

    > And then one day Seth said,
    >
    >> [...] with the HD Dish (multi-LNB) you need to run 4 lines to a 4x8
    > multi-switch (or 5x8). Then 2 lines per TiVo.
    >
    > Is there a specific brand / model and place to purchase this that is
    > generally recommended?

    Spaun is a good brand. As for where... I got mine on eBay.

    In article <BE7DA073.6B47D%dave@etexaslawyers.com>,
    dave@etexaslawyers.com says...
    > I have a triple LNB dish and two HD DirecTivos. I have the two lines coming
    > in from the dish going into two splitters and then into the respective
    > Directivos. Occasionally, one of the two directivos will lose the signal and
    > put up a message "looking for satellite on line 1"
    >
    > I don't get this when using only one HD Directivo at a time (i.e. Unplugging
    > the dish cables from one receiver causes the message to disappear from the
    > other receiver. I'm assuming that I can't watch two different satellites on
    > the two different receivers simultaneously.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue as to what happened? I'm thinking the splitters are
    > improper, but that's just a hunch.

    You need a high frequency splitter, not one from walmart. Look for
    something called a multiswitch.

    In article <BE7DCB95.6B483%dave@etexaslawyers.com>,
    David Leon <dave@etexaslawyers.com> wrote:

    > And then one day Seth said,
    >
    > > [...] with the HD Dish (multi-LNB) you need to run 4 lines to a 4x8
    > multi-switch (or 5x8). Then 2 lines per TiVo.
    >
    > Is there a specific brand / model and place to purchase this that is
    > generally recommended?
    > --
    > Dave

    Call up 1-800-DirecTv and tell them your problem. They should install a
    proper setup for you for free or cheap, depending on how good/long a
    customer you are.

Ptv Tivo HD