Quiet home PC build for my grandma

Franco Battaglia

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums but I've always kinda liked the community.
That being said, I want to know your opinion on something:

I'm building a rather quiet, eco-friendly rig for my grandma, whose computer is too old.
I've already made a list with the specs I want, but I don't know if it's rather overkill for a home PC or even if all parts are compatible.

Objective: I want the PC to run quite fast under normal and daily circumstances, for instance googling something or checking e-mails. I definitely do not want to overclock. Also my main goal is to assure all parts are quite durable, since I'm afraid my grandmother won't be buying a PC for the next 5 years or so.

Important note: my grandma isn't on a tight budget.

Now, on to the specs:
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120Gb
CPU: Intel i3-4130 Haswell Socket 1150
Motherboard: ASUS H87-Plus ATX LGA1150
RAM: 4gb 1600mhz Kingston Hyperx Fury White
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750w 80+ Bronze certificated
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31

Also, is an SSD really necessary? Last but not least, should I buy a GPU?

Thanks, Franco from Argentina

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
heres my suggestions:

a ssd is definatly a must have if she wants it to feel fast. i suggest getting a larger ssd, 250gb, just in case. you can only fill up 70% until it slows down, so the 250gb will give more headroom for a long time of use.
a different psu might be needed, i reccomend an xfx, seasonic, or corsair unit (not the cheap ones)
for a really quiet case, look at the fractal design define mini. i have the mid tower version and i can barely hear it right next to me (80mm fan at 100%, old hdd, old everything, so noisy)
you shouldnt need a gpu really, if she needs anything in the future throw in a r7 250 or something like that and she'll be fine

You want an SSD imo, it's not necessary but it does feel faster :)

A 300w PSU would be enough and no you don't need a graphics card, everything else is fine

Franco Battaglia

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll probably get a 250Gb SSD, I was thinking maybe 120Gb is limited when it comes to storage.
As for the PSU, would you recommend a lower wattage one? Or a better one?
Thanks for the case recommendation, but I'm afraid I can't afford one here in Argentina. Maybe I'll look for more compact cases though.

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

if his grandma is anything like mine, she wont need 1 tb of storage and will just be confused by the 2 hard drives

Franco Battaglia

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Well thanks to jshoop and LucoTF. I think I'll end up buying a single 240gb SSD, since the extra 1TB just isn't worth it.
As for the PSU, thanks for the guidance, the list seems pretty handy