Puzzling Input problem with upgraded 5040

I own two 5040 which, when the one year warranty expired i have just
upgraded to 300gb using RTVPatch.

This was about 4/ days ago. The upgrade went fine, infact even the
shows transfered over. 24 hours ago, however, one of the two units
suddenly stopped showing live tv: Everything else worked fine (the
recorded shows where normal, other functions where normal, the network
connection (internal and external) was fine, but it simply refused to
acknowledge the digital cable signal through Input1 and Input2.

I ensured that the cable box worked, i re-did the setup, nothing. I
then put back in the old 40GB disk and everything went back to normal.

This puzzles me as i cannot see how the software onthe HD could become
corrupted in such a definite "function" I would have thought it would
have been all or nothing...

Anyhow, tonight i will repeat the full rtvpatch procedure and I am
pretty confident that it will work, but has anyone else come across
such a problem?

Other question: before doing the image transfer I backed up the 500MB
file on the PC. Can (and how) do i restore that on the 300GB disk? and
can i do it without overwriting the existing shows?
23 answers Last reply
More about puzzling input problem upgraded 5040

    Did you low-level format the 300GB HD before you ran the patch?

    Also verify that the system that you used to patch the drives saw the whole
    300GB.

    "Coppernob" <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > I own two 5040 which, when the one year warranty expired i have just
    > upgraded to 300gb using RTVPatch.
    >
    > This was about 4/ days ago. The upgrade went fine, infact even the
    > shows transfered over. 24 hours ago, however, one of the two units
    > suddenly stopped showing live tv: Everything else worked fine (the
    > recorded shows where normal, other functions where normal, the network
    > connection (internal and external) was fine, but it simply refused to
    > acknowledge the digital cable signal through Input1 and Input2.
    >
    > I ensured that the cable box worked, i re-did the setup, nothing. I
    > then put back in the old 40GB disk and everything went back to normal.
    >
    > This puzzles me as i cannot see how the software onthe HD could become
    > corrupted in such a definite "function" I would have thought it would
    > have been all or nothing...
    >
    > Anyhow, tonight i will repeat the full rtvpatch procedure and I am
    > pretty confident that it will work, but has anyone else come across
    > such a problem?
    >
    > Other question: before doing the image transfer I backed up the 500MB
    > file on the PC. Can (and how) do i restore that on the 300GB disk? and
    > can i do it without overwriting the existing shows?

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:14:04 GMT, "Joseph Wind"
    <jw@neoplastic.ph.invalid> wrote:

    >Did you low-level format the 300GB HD before you ran the patch?

    No, straight from the box. Do you suggest i do that for tonight's
    re-image? If so i presume the Segate utility disk will allow me to do
    the "low-level" format?

    >Also verify that the system that you used to patch the drives saw the whole
    >300GB.

    Yes, it saw the space correctly

    Coppernob <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:14:04 GMT, "Joseph Wind"
    ><jw@neoplastic.ph.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>Did you low-level format the 300GB HD before you ran the patch?
    >
    > No, straight from the box. Do you suggest i do that for tonight's
    > re-image? If so i presume the Segate utility disk will allow me to do
    > the "low-level" format?

    If you do a low-level format on a 300 GB drive, expect to give up your
    computer for about 2 days (it took me over a day with a 200 GB drive).

    The efficacy of a low-level format is open to debate. I have read
    several posts indicating that it is not necessary and I would be surprised
    if it is the cause of your live video problem (possible, but very, very
    unlikely).

    The documentation for RTVPatch warns that transferring shows can cause
    problems; it is possible that, if you re-install to the drive without
    copying the shows, you will not have the problem.

    --
    Jeff

    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

    In article <m3hp81pvt4v1q4eupoc0v3dtkqjt1pbuq3@4ax.com>,
    Coppernob <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote:

    > >Did you low-level format the 300GB HD before you ran the patch?
    >
    > No, straight from the box. Do you suggest i do that for tonight's
    > re-image? If so i presume the Segate utility disk will allow me to do
    > the "low-level" format?

    Possibly. You're looking to map out bad sectors.

    I used SpinRite to do it on my two drives, and they've been fine since
    September. Took about 24 hours each.

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:03:39 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > The documentation for RTVPatch warns that transferring shows can cause
    >problems; it is possible that, if you re-install to the drive without
    >copying the shows, you will not have the problem.

    But the I will have marital problems!!! :-))

    I wish it was possible to move the shows onto my DVArchive HD and then
    send them back to the replay....

    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Coppernob <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:14:04 GMT, "Joseph Wind"
    >><jw@neoplastic.ph.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Did you low-level format the 300GB HD before you ran the patch?
    >>
    >> No, straight from the box. Do you suggest i do that for tonight's
    >> re-image? If so i presume the Segate utility disk will allow me to do
    >> the "low-level" format?
    >
    > If you do a low-level format on a 300 GB drive, expect to give up your
    >computer for about 2 days (it took me over a day with a 200 GB drive).
    >
    > The efficacy of a low-level format is open to debate. I have read
    >several posts indicating that it is not necessary and I would be surprised
    >if it is the cause of your live video problem (possible, but very, very
    >unlikely).

    Low-level formatting is actually necessary, but that's what's done at
    the factory. There's no need to do it agan. You can't anyway (about
    98% of the time you hear "low level format", that's not what it is).

    > The documentation for RTVPatch warns that transferring shows can cause
    >problems; it is possible that, if you re-install to the drive without
    >copying the shows, you will not have the problem.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:45:32 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >Possibly. You're looking to map out bad sectors.

    So you are saying that a HD straight out of the box is shipped with
    Bad Sectors?

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:45:32 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <m3hp81pvt4v1q4eupoc0v3dtkqjt1pbuq3@4ax.com>,
    > Coppernob <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote:
    >
    >> >Did you low-level format the 300GB HD before you ran the patch?
    >>
    >> No, straight from the box. Do you suggest i do that for tonight's
    >> re-image? If so i presume the Segate utility disk will allow me to do
    >> the "low-level" format?
    >
    >Possibly. You're looking to map out bad sectors.

    That's part of a low level format, and already done when you buy a HD.
    You don't need to do it on modern hard drives.

    >I used SpinRite to do it on my two drives, and they've been fine since
    >September. Took about 24 hours each.

    That would be more meaningful if it included the condition of the
    drives BEFORE running SpinRite. As it is, it says close to nothing.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:59:32 -0700, Coppernob
    <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:45:32 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    ><elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Possibly. You're looking to map out bad sectors.
    >>
    >So you are saying that a HD straight out of the box is shipped with
    >Bad Sectors?

    Physically, every hard drive will have bad sectors, which need to
    remapped. That is part of rhe low level formatting that drive
    manufacturers have been doing for 10 years or so. What you get will
    appear to be a perfect drive (no bad sectors), and can be used as
    such.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    All hard disks have "bad" sectors at some point. Sometimes good sectors are
    incorrectly marked "bad," and "bad" sectors are incorrectly marked "good."
    This is one reason why a program such as SpinRite can be useful. Most
    times, however, you'll never need it, as often a simple "chkdsk /f" from
    your PC's OS will suffice. (The /f switches "fixes" problems.) Depending
    on your OS, you may get a warning that chkdsk won't start till you restart
    the computer. This is normal.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:45:32 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    > <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Possibly. You're looking to map out bad sectors.
    >>
    > So you are saying that a HD straight out of the box is shipped with
    > Bad Sectors?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Er, not exactly true. Why SpinRite takes so long to run is that it does
    multiple writes to each sector to determine whether or not each is good or
    bad. A sector previously marked "bad" might test "good" and be reassigned
    as such, just as a previously marked "good" sector will be marked "bad" if
    it fails the write test(s).

    I won't be sticking around to debate this or any other issue, not because I
    post and run.... Tomorrow morning I go into the hospital at 6:00am for
    surgery. Hopefully I will emerge at some point to resume using and talking
    about RTVs. ;-)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

    >>I used SpinRite to do it on my two drives, and they've been fine since
    >>September. Took about 24 hours each.
    >
    > That would be more meaningful if it included the condition of the
    > drives BEFORE running SpinRite. As it is, it says close to nothing.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Coppernob wrote:
    > I own two 5040 which, when the one year warranty expired i have just
    > upgraded to 300gb using RTVPatch.
    >
    > This was about 4/ days ago. The upgrade went fine, infact even the
    > shows transfered over. 24 hours ago, however, one of the two units
    > suddenly stopped showing live tv: Everything else worked fine (the
    > recorded shows where normal, other functions where normal, the network
    > connection (internal and external) was fine, but it simply refused to
    > acknowledge the digital cable signal through Input1 and Input2.
    >
    > I ensured that the cable box worked, i re-did the setup, nothing. I
    > then put back in the old 40GB disk and everything went back to normal.
    >
    > This puzzles me as i cannot see how the software onthe HD could become
    > corrupted in such a definite "function" I would have thought it would
    > have been all or nothing...
    >
    > Anyhow, tonight i will repeat the full rtvpatch procedure and I am
    > pretty confident that it will work, but has anyone else come across
    > such a problem?
    >
    > Other question: before doing the image transfer I backed up the 500MB
    > file on the PC. Can (and how) do i restore that on the 300GB disk? and
    > can i do it without overwriting the existing shows?

    It is doubtful redoing RTVPatch will accomplish anything. What do you
    mean by "refused to acknowledge". Do you mean selecting something from
    the guide and the Replay would not change the channel on the box and
    switch the input??? Or is it tuning the box and not switching?

    Go into setup and define Input 1 and 2 as nothing. This will make the
    unit reboot and redo the channel guide. Clear the channel guide TWICE
    and then redefine the inputs. Your old shows will remain, but you may
    have to "save till I delete" all of the shows and recreate the record
    channels that made them.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Coppernob <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:03:39 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    ><j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >> The documentation for RTVPatch warns that transferring shows can cause
    >>problems; it is possible that, if you re-install to the drive without
    >>copying the shows, you will not have the problem.
    >
    > But the I will have marital problems!!! :-))
    >
    > I wish it was possible to move the shows onto my DVArchive HD and then
    > send them back to the replay....

    If it's any help, I have no problems playing shows archived on my
    computer through my RTV. The computer storing the files is only an 850MHz
    PIII.

    --
    Jeff

    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 23:09:18 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >> connection (internal and external) was fine, but it simply refused to
    >> acknowledge the digital cable signal through Input1 and Input2.

    >It is doubtful redoing RTVPatch will accomplish anything. What do you
    >mean by "refused to acknowledge". Do you mean selecting something from
    >the guide and the Replay would not change the channel on the box and
    >switch the input??? Or is it tuning the box and not switching?

    The IR would work correctly, simply the scrren would say that there
    was no video signal.

    In actual fact the RTVPatch that i did last night set everything back
    to normal. I hope it stays that way!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 5/19/05 7:31 PM, in article d6jb0p01i79@news4.newsguy.com, "Margaret
    Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    > I won't be sticking around to debate this or any other issue, not because I
    > post and run.... Tomorrow morning I go into the hospital at 6:00am for
    > surgery. Hopefully I will emerge at some point to resume using and talking
    > about RTVs. ;-)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Margaret

    Good luck and God bless.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Coppernob wrote:

    > This puzzles me as i cannot see how the software onthe HD could become
    > corrupted in such a definite "function" I would have thought it would
    > have been all or nothing...

    Question: How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

    Answer: None, it's a hardware problem

    You have a blown switching transistor on the mother board

    Just don't ask me which one (or logic gate)
    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:31:02 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Answer: None, it's a hardware problem

    That's what I thought. Must be a hardware problem, which would be
    logical as the warranty and expired the week before... :-))

    But i when a put in the original disk it all worked ok. swiitched the
    new HD, nothing so last night i re-patched the new HD and everything
    works fine.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Coppernob wrote:

    > So you are saying that a HD straight out of the box is shipped with
    > Bad Sectors?

    Most of them yes, I'd say there is a one in a million (or larger) chance
    your brand new drive is error free, but most every drive I've seen has a
    sticker on it listing bad sectors.. Low Level Format (and in some cases
    programs used later, even after data has been added to the drive) will
    scan for them and map them out so your computer never uses them

    In fact FORMAT (not low level but the regular FORMAT) command is
    SUPPOSED to do this.... I'm not sure it does, but it's supposed to

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:34:03 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Coppernob wrote:
    >
    >> So you are saying that a HD straight out of the box is shipped with
    >> Bad Sectors?
    >
    >Most of them yes, I'd say there is a one in a million (or larger) chance
    >your brand new drive is error free, but most every drive I've seen has a
    >sticker on it listing bad sectors..

    My first HD had such a sticher, but that was over 14 years ago. I've
    bought a lot of drives since and not one has had such a sticker.

    >Low Level Format (and in some cases
    >programs used later, even after data has been added to the drive) will
    >scan for them and map them out so your computer never uses them
    >
    >In fact FORMAT (not low level but the regular FORMAT) command is
    >SUPPOSED to do this.... I'm not sure it does, but it's supposed to

    Both work if you have a VERY OLD drive.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    LOL, I still have a Seagate ST-251 RLL HD sitting on a shelf. I wonder if
    it still works.

    > My first HD had such a sticher, but that was over 14 years ago. I've
    > bought a lot of drives since and not one has had such a sticker.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > My first HD had such a sticher, but that was over 14 years ago. I've
    > bought a lot of drives since and not one has had such a sticker.

    Now that you mention it I don't recall seeing it ON the last drive I
    bought either (Problem is there are so many sectors now that the sticker
    gets kind of large) But I do recall it being IN the drive (The
    information included on the drive when you first buy it includs a map of
    bad sectors) It's just where you used to be ablue to read them with a
    proper lamp and glasses... now days you need a computer and software,
    And truthfully.. i don't know what software
    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Interesting... I can still think of a few hardware issues that might be
    fixed by doing the drive swap

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 07:11:49 GMT, "Joseph Wind"
    <jw@neoplastic.ph.invalid> wrote:

    >LOL, I still have a Seagate ST-251 RLL HD sitting on a shelf. I wonder if
    >it still works.

    My first drive (Seagate 30MB RLL) was working in December 2002 when I
    sold it.

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >>
    >> My first HD had such a sticher, but that was over 14 years ago. I've
    >> bought a lot of drives since and not one has had such a sticker.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com