Gilmore Girls - Tivo did not record last few minutes of se..

Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and my
Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I am
located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def DirecTV
Tivo. Anyone know what happened??
17 answers Last reply
More about gilmore girls tivo record minutes

    Z Man wrote:
    > Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and my
    > Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I am
    > located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def DirecTV
    > Tivo. Anyone know what happened??

    It ran over by a few minutes, many people reported the same thing, so
    scheduled DVR's didn't catch the last few moments. If you wanted to
    know what happened on the show, www.televisionwithoutpity.com usually
    has pretty good recaps on these kind of shows.

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    >Z Man wrote:
    >> Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and
    >> my Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I
    >> am located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def
    >> DirecTV Tivo. Anyone know what happened??
    >
    > It ran over by a few minutes, many people reported the same thing, so
    > scheduled DVR's didn't catch the last few moments. If you wanted to know
    > what happened on the show, www.televisionwithoutpity.com usually has
    > pretty good recaps on these kind of shows.

    Well, I suppose we need a smarter Tivo, one tied in directly to the shows.
    As far as I can tell, there is no way of protecting yourself against this
    type of occurrence.

    * Z Man wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>Z Man wrote:
    >>> Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and
    >>> my Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I
    >>> am located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def
    >>> DirecTV Tivo. Anyone know what happened??

    >> It ran over by a few minutes, many people reported the same thing, so
    >> scheduled DVR's didn't catch the last few moments. If you wanted to know
    >> what happened on the show, www.televisionwithoutpity.com usually has
    >> pretty good recaps on these kind of shows.

    > Well, I suppose we need a smarter Tivo, one tied in directly to the shows.
    > As far as I can tell, there is no way of protecting yourself against this
    > type of occurrence.

    Sure there is, pad everything. Or at least the shows that you know do
    this occasionaly.

    --
    David
    We are what we are.

    >>Well, I suppose we need a smarter Tivo, one tied in directly to the shows.
    >>As far as I can tell, there is no way of protecting yourself against this
    >>type of occurrence.
    >

    > Sure there is, pad everything. Or at least the shows that you know do
    > this occasionaly.

    My girlfriend loves this show, and as far as I know this is the first
    time it's actually run over, so there was no reason to think that it
    might. It literally ran over by about 5-10 seconds, but I'm gathering
    it was a fairly crucial scene.

    Personally, I pad those shows that commonly runover (like The Daily
    Show, which seems to be in repeats this week), but I don't like to do it
    otherwise because it might cause conflicts. I guess it depends on how
    crucial a particular show is to you.

    Randy S.

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:07:06 -0400, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and my
    >Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I am
    >located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def DirecTV
    >Tivo. Anyone know what happened??

    Yes.

    Directv was testing out one of their new sattelites. They switched
    over to it for the last few minutes of the show.

    Since all the new Sat's Hdef format is Mpeg4, your Tivo couldn't
    record it.

    This will give you an idea of what it will be like in a few more
    months.

    Hope this helps,
    Sean

    On 2005-05-19, Randy S. <rswitt@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >>>Well, I suppose we need a smarter Tivo, one tied in directly to the shows.
    >>>As far as I can tell, there is no way of protecting yourself against this
    >>>type of occurrence.
    >>

    >> Sure there is, pad everything. Or at least the shows that you know do
    >> this occasionaly.
    >>

    > My girlfriend loves this show, and as far as I know this is the first
    > time it's actually run over, so there was no reason to think that it
    > might. It literally ran over by about 5-10 seconds, but I'm gathering
    > it was a fairly crucial scene.
    >
    > Personally, I pad those shows that commonly runover (like The Daily
    > Show, which seems to be in repeats this week), but I don't like to do it
    > otherwise because it might cause conflicts. I guess it depends on how
    > crucial a particular show is to you.

    If you hack your TiVo, you can run endpadding (I think that's what it is
    called). This will opportunistically pad your shows (such that it doesn't
    cause a conflict). Handy, especially for times like this.

    --
    This is my .sig

    >>Personally, I pad those shows that commonly runover (like The Daily
    >>Show, which seems to be in repeats this week), but I don't like to do it
    >> otherwise because it might cause conflicts. I guess it depends on how
    >>crucial a particular show is to you.
    >

    > If you hack your TiVo, you can run endpadding (I think that's what it is
    > called). This will opportunistically pad your shows (such that it doesn't
    > cause a conflict). Handy, especially for times like this.

    Now that *would* be useful!

    Randy S.

    In article <pQ_ie.23105$NZ1.2843@fe09.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    > >Z Man wrote:
    > >> Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and
    > >> my Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I
    > >> am located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def
    > >> DirecTV Tivo. Anyone know what happened??
    > >
    > > It ran over by a few minutes, many people reported the same thing, so
    > > scheduled DVR's didn't catch the last few moments. If you wanted to know
    > > what happened on the show, www.televisionwithoutpity.com usually has
    > > pretty good recaps on these kind of shows.
    >
    > Well, I suppose we need a smarter Tivo, one tied in directly to the shows.
    > As far as I can tell, there is no way of protecting yourself against this
    > type of occurrence.

    I have not checked Gilmore yet, but on other shows, Season Pass seems to
    handle the over/under. For example, According to Jim ran 40 minutes
    instead of 30 and Season Pass got it all. OTOH, the Raymond final
    seemed to have ended abruptly. Maybe that was the way it ended; I don't
    know. It appears to me that if the service Tivo uses (I am on DirecTV)
    has the right times, Tivo will use them. If they are wrong, it will use
    the wrong times.

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

    > I have not checked Gilmore yet, but on other shows, Season Pass seems to
    > handle the over/under. For example, According to Jim ran 40 minutes
    > instead of 30 and Season Pass got it all. OTOH, the Raymond final
    > seemed to have ended abruptly. Maybe that was the way it ended; I don't
    > know. It appears to me that if the service Tivo uses (I am on DirecTV)
    > has the right times, Tivo will use them. If they are wrong, it will use
    > the wrong times.

    No, you're correct, Tivo follows the guide information. Gilmore Girls
    ran just slightly long, and I'm sure it wasn't in the guide. This
    wasn't one of those "supersized" episodes that NBC used to like to run
    towards the end of Friends.

    Randy S.

    * Sean Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    [a big fat lie]

    I am sorry, did you say something? Oh, it was just another lie,
    nevermind.

    --
    David

    On 2005-05-19, Sean <none> wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:07:06 -0400, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and my
    >>Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I am
    >>located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def DirecTV
    >>Tivo. Anyone know what happened??

    From
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.video.ptv.tivo/msg/6b8fb22e6ee83354

    Posted by Sean:
    % For every lie you can find that I posted I will remove myself from this
    % group for 1 week.

    Ok, lets see.

    > Yes.

    Lie #1.

    > Directv was testing out one of their new sattelites. They switched
    > over to it for the last few minutes of the show.

    Lie #2

    > This will give you an idea of what it will be like in a few more
    > months.

    Lie #3

    > Hope this helps,

    Lie #4

    Ok Sean, I'll even waive lie #4 but that's still 3 lies. It'll be nice
    with you out of this group for 3 weeks (feel free to make it 4).

    --
    This is my .sig

    In article <tupp81lo6f44sc7ut3e1bf0uc53n7o6lhh@4ax.com>, Sean <none>
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:07:06 -0400, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Yesterday's (5/17/05) season finale. I watched the show a day later and my
    > >Tivo failed to record the last few minutes. The show is on WPIX, and I am
    > >located near NYC. If it matters (doubtful) I am using the high def DirecTV
    > >Tivo. Anyone know what happened??
    > >

    > Yes.
    >
    > Directv was testing out one of their new sattelites. They switched
    > over to it for the last few minutes of the show.
    >
    > Since all the new Sat's Hdef format is Mpeg4, your Tivo couldn't
    > record it.
    >
    > This will give you an idea of what it will be like in a few more
    > months.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Sean

    That isn't correct. The downloaded schedule was wrong. None of my kids
    got it either and they are all still using VCRs. The download said it
    was one hour instead of 65 or 70 or whatever it was. The same thing
    happened on Raymond, but three other shows I watch all recorded 40
    minutes. I wish the networks wouldn't do this, but Tivo seems to handle
    it better than anything else.

    --

    Randy S. wrote:
    >> If you hack your TiVo, you can run endpadding (I think that's what it is
    >> called). This will opportunistically pad your shows (such that it
    >> doesn't cause a conflict). Handy, especially for times like this.
    >
    > Now that *would* be useful!

    It most certainly is!

    Saturday 04:58:00 : Woken up
    Saturday 04:58:00 : No recording in progress
    Saturday 04:58:00 : Next recording is {Gundam Seed} on TOON at 05:00
    Saturday 04:58:00 : No end padding required:
    Saturday 04:58:00 : No recording in progress
    Saturday 04:58:00 : Next end padding setting due 05:25
    Saturday 04:58:00 : Added 60 seconds start padding to {Gundam Seed}
    Saturday 04:58:00 : Next start padding setting due 05:25
    Saturday 04:58:00 : Next wake up will be 05:25
    signal............................
    Saturday 05:25:01 : Woken up
    Saturday 05:25:01 : Recording {Gundam Seed} on TOON now
    Saturday 05:25:01 : Recording Scheduled End Time: 05:30
    Saturday 05:25:01 : Next recording is {Modern Marvels} on HISTORY at 06:00
    Saturday 05:25:01 : Added 120 seconds end padding to {Gundam Seed}

    SINNER wrote:

    > Sure there is, pad everything. Or at least the shows that you know do
    > this occasionaly.

    The problem is Gilmore Girls is usually on time. I also pad shows that
    regularly are off-schedule, but this is the first GG screw-up. Glad
    they're going to repeat it.

    --Charlene

    --
    To die for an idea is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it
    would be if men died for ideas that were true! -- H.L. Mencken

    email perronnelle at earthlink . net

    "Charlene Charette" <see.sig@for.address> wrote in message
    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> Sure there is, pad everything. Or at least the shows that you know do
    >> this occasionaly.
    >
    > The problem is Gilmore Girls is usually on time. I also pad shows that
    > regularly are off-schedule, but this is the first GG screw-up. Glad
    > they're going to repeat it.

    When will it be repeated??

    Z Man wrote:

    > "Charlene Charette" <see.sig@for.address> wrote in message
    >
    >>SINNER wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sure there is, pad everything. Or at least the shows that you know do
    >>>this occasionaly.
    >>
    >>The problem is Gilmore Girls is usually on time. I also pad shows that
    >>regularly are off-schedule, but this is the first GG screw-up. Glad
    >>they're going to repeat it.
    >

    > When will it be repeated??

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-tribtv.htmlstory

    Scroll down to May 18:
    "May 18, 2005 6:15 PM CDT: The 'Girls' are back "
    "May 18, 2005 11:39 AM CDT: 'Girls' night ruined for many fans"

    --Charlene

    --

    Z Man wrote:

    > "Charlene Charette" <see.sig@for.address> wrote in message
    >
    >>SINNER wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sure there is, pad everything. Or at least the shows that you know do
    >>>this occasionaly.
    >>
    >>The problem is Gilmore Girls is usually on time. I also pad shows that
    >>regularly are off-schedule, but this is the first GG screw-up. Glad
    >>they're going to repeat it.
    >

    > When will it be repeated??

    According to http://talk.thewb.com/viewtopic.php?topic=502187&forum=8&14
    it will be repeated on May 31st.

    --Charlene

    --
    To die for an idea is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it
    would be if men died for ideas that were true! -- H.L. Mencken

    email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video