Tivo without the service?

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to buy
the service? If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?

Richard
14 answers Last reply
More about tivo service
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:jzwie.117$H35.85@lakeread02...
    >I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to buy
    >the service? If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?
    >
    > Richard
    >

    Series1 units can record manually without the service.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    * Richard Miller wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to buy
    > the service?

    Yes.

    > If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?

    A doorstop.

    --
    David
    "Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the laws of
    nature are constantly broken for their sakes."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
    news:6iiql2x3gm.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com...
    >* Richard Miller wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to
    >> buy
    >> the service?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?
    >
    > A doorstop.

    Unless you buy one of the models that come with TiVo Basic. (yes, yes, it
    has a type of service included, but not anything you have to purchase above
    and beyond the cost of the unit).
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On 2005-05-18, eric <eric.2@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    > "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message
    > news:jzwie.117$H35.85@lakeread02...
    >>I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to buy
    >>the service? If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?
    >>
    >> Richard
    >>
    >
    > Series1 units can record manually without the service.

    Only certain Series1 units at that. Something to do with having to have
    shipped with OS version 1.3 in the beginning? dealdatabase will have more
    info, but I don't believe that's exactly what the OP is after...

    --
    This is my .sig
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <jzwie.117$H35.85@lakeread02>,
    "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote:

    > I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to buy
    > the service? If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?
    >
    > Richard

    An obvious troll.

    If you know nothing about TiVo why would you even consider buying it?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "Jack Zwick" <jzwick4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:jzwick4-06F70B.05354618052005@news1.west.earthlink.net...
    > In article <jzwie.117$H35.85@lakeread02>,
    > "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to
    >> buy
    >> the service? If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?
    >>
    >> Richard
    >
    > An obvious troll.
    >
    > If you know nothing about TiVo why would you even consider buying it?

    I didn't know anything about TiVo when I bought mine.. gotta start some
    where.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <yvGie.1469$8g.377@news01.roc.ny>, C what I mean <
    spam@frontiernet.net> wrote:

    > "Jack Zwick" <jzwick4@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > news:jzwick4-06F70B.05354618052005@news1.west.earthlink.net...
    > > In article <jzwie.117$H35.85@lakeread02>,
    > > "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I know nothing about Tivo, so if you buy the hardware, you also need to
    > >> buy
    > >> the service? If you don't buy the service, what good is Tivo?
    > >>
    > >> Richard
    > >
    > > An obvious troll.
    > >
    > > If you know nothing about TiVo why would you even consider buying it?
    >
    > I didn't know anything about TiVo when I bought mine.. gotta start some
    > where.


    I don't think he's a troll. As you say, you gotta start somewhere.

    To answer him, you wouldn't buy a current-model TiVo and not buy the
    service. The TiVo is useless without the service. (Some earlier
    models can be used as sans-service DVRs, but I think you'd be better
    off buying a non-TiVo DVR. It'd be cheaper, just as useful, and you
    wouldn't get subscription nags.)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Mike Hunt wrote:

    >>Series1 units can record manually without the service.
    >
    > Only certain Series1 units at that.

    I would not say "only" for something that applies to 99%
    of the Series 1 TiVo units.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    * Joe Smith Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > Mike Hunt wrote:
    >
    >>>Series1 units can record manually without the service.
    >>
    >> Only certain Series1 units at that.
    >
    > I would not say "only" for something that applies to 99%
    > of the Series 1 TiVo units.
    >

    Why not? If there is an exception, it should be mentioned (which I
    originally neglected in my hasty response.)

    --
    David
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    SINNER wrote:

    >* Joe Smith Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >> Mike Hunt wrote:
    >>
    >>>>Series1 units can record manually without the service.
    >>>
    >>> Only certain Series1 units at that.
    >>
    >> I would not say "only" for something that applies to 99%
    >> of the Series 1 TiVo units.
    >>
    >
    >Why not? If there is an exception, it should be mentioned (which I
    >originally neglected in my hasty response.)

    Why not? Because it's misleading. I don't see you posting that
    only certain people are born with 10 fingers, do I? No, I don't,
    because we're not here to mislead each other, or the new people.

    Well, except Sean... It's anyone's guess why he's still here, but
    he does give us some nice over-the-top weirdo evangelism
    rantings.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    * Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >>* Joe Smith Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >>
    >>> Mike Hunt wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>>Series1 units can record manually without the service.
    >>>>
    >>>> Only certain Series1 units at that.
    >>>
    >>> I would not say "only" for something that applies to 99%
    >>> of the Series 1 TiVo units.
    >>>
    >>
    >>Why not? If there is an exception, it should be mentioned (which I
    >>originally neglected in my hasty response.)
    >
    > Why not? Because it's misleading. I don't see you posting that
    > only certain people are born with 10 fingers, do I? No, I don't,
    > because we're not here to mislead each other, or the new people.
    >

    So when the OP comes back and says, I bought a series 1 and you guys
    lied about it being able to record without service, you can
    apologize. When it comes to spending money the consumer should be as
    informed as possible in order to make an intelligent decison.

    How giving more correct information is misleading is beyond me.

    --
    David
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    >>>Why not? If there is an exception, it should be mentioned (which I
    >>>originally neglected in my hasty response.)
    >>
    >>Why not? Because it's misleading. I don't see you posting that
    >>only certain people are born with 10 fingers, do I? No, I don't,
    >>because we're not here to mislead each other, or the new people.
    >>
    >
    >
    > So when the OP comes back and says, I bought a series 1 and you guys
    > lied about it being able to record without service, you can
    > apologize. When it comes to spending money the consumer should be as
    > informed as possible in order to make an intelligent decison.
    >
    > How giving more correct information is misleading is beyond me.
    >

    I think he's saying that "only" implies that a minority of Series 1
    boxes did it. Perhaps "most, but not all" would have been more
    accurate. However, it's a pretty minor nit.

    Randy S.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    * Randy S. Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    >>>>Why not? If there is an exception, it should be mentioned (which
    >>>>I originally neglected in my hasty response.)
    >>>
    >>>Why not? Because it's misleading. I don't see you posting that
    >>>only certain people are born with 10 fingers, do I? No, I don't,
    >>>because we're not here to mislead each other, or the new people.
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> So when the OP comes back and says, I bought a series 1 and you
    >> guys lied about it being able to record without service, you can
    >> apologize. When it comes to spending money the consumer should be
    >> as informed as possible in order to make an intelligent decison.
    >>
    >> How giving more correct information is misleading is beyond me.
    >>
    >
    > I think he's saying that "only" implies that a minority of Series
    > 1 boxes did it. Perhaps "most, but not all" would have been more
    > accurate. However, it's a pretty minor nit.
    >

    I understood that. Giving the OP that piece of info was important,
    without it, it is still possible, why the chance maybe minute, that
    he could have wound up with the wrong unit. IME, I more than likely
    would have, because me and luck are on opposite sides of the coin.

    --
    David
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On 2005-05-19, Randy S. <rswitt@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >>>>Why not? If there is an exception, it should be mentioned (which I
    >>>>originally neglected in my hasty response.)
    >>>
    >>>Why not? Because it's misleading. I don't see you posting that
    >>>only certain people are born with 10 fingers, do I? No, I don't,
    >>>because we're not here to mislead each other, or the new people.
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> So when the OP comes back and says, I bought a series 1 and you guys
    >> lied about it being able to record without service, you can
    >> apologize. When it comes to spending money the consumer should be as
    >> informed as possible in order to make an intelligent decison.
    >>
    >> How giving more correct information is misleading is beyond me.
    >>
    >
    > I think he's saying that "only" implies that a minority of Series 1
    > boxes did it. Perhaps "most, but not all" would have been more
    > accurate. However, it's a pretty minor nit.

    If a user is getting a TiVo with the intended purpose of using it without
    service (the OP's actual interest), then this issue is the #1 priority and
    is _very_ important for the user to look into - regardless of what the
    actual percentage is of S1s that can work without a service. I think the
    emphasis of using "only" is ok to draw attention to this escape given it
    is the so important in the decision making process.

    --
    This is my .sig
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Tivo Tivo Hardware Video