How do I finish my associates in 1 year or a semester?

LechTips

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I finished high school 2 months ago and I would like to finish my associates in 1 semester if possible.

I am going to remove English because I don't want stress. I have PDD-NOS, I can't study in noisy areas. The smallest amount of noise I will get distracted. It takes me a looooooooooong time to study, so I will give up on gaming for a semester or so.

I want easy credits so why not take classes that is easier for me.
The classes I want are:
Algebra 1
Geometry
Intro to Psych
Global History
Biology
I know from my friends that your first 2 years is like high school.

Solution

Well, gee....that might have been useful information up front.
Major in what?

blue_smoke

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

haha 1 semester. Associates is core education. you need what you took in freshman year basically.

History
English
Math
Science

associates is a 2 year degree. No way around it.
No such thing as easy credits

LechTips

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

There is easy credits. Geometry, Algebra, science, history is easy for me. I like watching space or human life documentaries on YouTube.
Do you think I can remove English atleast.
Waste of money and time.

LechTips

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

why not
its not like biology or history is easy for you
its only easy to some people
some people do bad in english and some people are good in english
some people are bad in math and some people are good in math

If you don't want stress and can't study you are going to have a very, very hard time.

If you try to overload in order to complete your program earlier than usual, you are going to have a very, very hard time.

If you think that post secondary is anything like high-school you are going to have a very, very hard time.

If you're not very good at Mathematics, then you should throw yourself at Mathematics until you understand it better.

If you're not very good at English, then you should throw yourself at English until you understand it better.

The rest of your life is going to require that you throw yourself at challenging situations until you have mastered them. That's what the real world is all about.

There is no reason to pursue a post secondary program unless you have the motivation and personal faculty to see it through to completion. It seems to me that you want to complete the degree program as soon as possible in order to obtain the prestige (what little prestige a 2 year Associates affords) yet you don't want to spend the time to appreciate or really understand the subject matter.

LechTips

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

This is a great example of a person that hates people with mental disorders. I have PDD-NOS and I can't study in a short period of time. Let me explain it further because you guys seem to not understand. I need a lot of time to study.
I am good at Math, science, and History. The only subject I suck at is English.

USAFRet

Titan

Again, what do you hope to gain with this 'one semester associates degree'?

You've just graduated high school. You expect to have an associates degree by Christmas break.
Where do you see yourself next summer? In 2 years? 5 years?

LechTips

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

I would like to transfer to a better college for my major.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, gee....that might have been useful information up front.
Major in what?

Solution

I spent 5 years of my life in university, I understand what is involved perfectly. If you need a lot of time to study, trying to pack a 2 year program into 6 months is the exact opposite of what you want to do.

blue_smoke

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

its not even possible

colleges dont offer that stuff

op needs a student resource person

go to the college and plan it out
it will take 2 years
you need to study in noisy areas
otherwise dont bother with a degree

there is no such thing as easy credits

A degree is ultimately worth no more than the effort YOU put into it. I have never held a job strictly in my major, which was Industrial Management (I've always worked in IT, in one or more of multiple categories). The fact that I busted my butt to get a degree though, is what got my foot in the door. In today's job market, you need to stand out in a positive way. A hiring manager wants someone who can do the job, and do it well, rising to any challenge it presents. While overcoming a disability can be a [big] plus, using it as a crutch says "blame-shifting slacker."
Consider a trade. Seriously. Scholarship may not be for you, and that's ok; be one of the guys who builds things, or fixes things. Find something you enjoy that is productive and useful, and build your career around that. To this date, I sometimes consider whether my balance is good enough to attempt training in residential electrical work and/or plumbing well enough to get licensed, as a useful fallback skill (I've done some of both, for others as well as myself, but I look at it like traditional stuff that an American man ought to know at least the basics of them; I would not be able to "hang out my shingle" in either of these trades).

blue_smoke

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

OP trades are cheap and cost effective. in my area, for example, I could get free schooling while going through an electrical journeyman's apprenticeship and getting paid like 20 bucks an hour. Licensed electricians are in need everywhere. College is simply not worth the money anymore

Kewlx25

Distinguished
A University is better for a job if your dream job needs theory. An example is if you want to be a programmer, you could just get a 2 year degree or less, but if you want to design software, you may want a 4 year degree. There is no hard rule saying you can't do something without a degree, unless you're looking to be a doctor or work on rockets, but it can help.

Personally, I would look into grants/scholarships and go to a 4 year. If you're not sure what you want to do, then don't waste your time and money on student loans for a 4 year. I knew what I wanted to do, so getting a BS from a state Uni was totally worth my time, but that isn't for everyone.

popatim

Titan
While I don't think you could possibly do it in 6 months, it certainly is possible to do it in a year. You better know your stuff though, you will have to prove it. I got my two year Electrical Technology Degree in 1 yr by doubling up the 1yr and 2nd yr courses; ie - taking the 201 courses at the same times as their 101 prerequisites. I had to prove to the various professors & Dean of the Depts that I already knew this stuff. Still, it made for some long days on campus.

Your school has class requirements for the degree you want to get. You can take all the low level courses you want but if you dont take those exact classes you wont ever graduate.

Law

Engineering

Architecture

Psychology

Dentistry

Medicine (almost all fields)

Optometry

Nursing

Public Education

Pharmacy

Those are just some of the fields which legally require practitioners to hold a professional degree and often also require a graduate degree as well as additional professional licencing

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Pretty much anything involving healthcare, education, or "real" engineering. There's a lot of jobs that don't fall into these fields. I personally like jobs that involve a lot of thinking, which means theory is important to what I enjoy, but not all people are like me.