Med: $55.48
Max: $114.29

Scream DTS for $256
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6383533802

Min: $31.60
Avg: $54.63
Med: $45.46
Max: $99.99

If getting a complete collection is the motivation, so be it.
But if DTS is the main motivation, the Japanese $35 R2 DTS DVD is full
bitrate:

http://www.dvdtherapy.com/reviews/blade_dts.php
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCBH-50043

Go figure...

Julien
16 answers Last reply
More about ebay dts frenzy

    On 12 Apr 2005 00:52:09 -0700, "Julien Wilk" <generikz@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >This certainly can shock a few of us!
    >
    >Blade DTS for $192
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6383533847
    >
    >Past 3 years stats:
    >
    >Min: $28.77
    >Avg: $63.14
    >Med: $55.48
    >Max: $114.29
    >
    >Scream DTS for $256
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6383533802
    >
    >Min: $31.60
    >Avg: $54.63
    >Med: $45.46
    >Max: $99.99
    >

    >If getting a complete collection is the motivation, so be it.
    >But if DTS is the main motivation, the Japanese $35 R2 DTS DVD is full
    >bitrate:
    >
    >http://www.dvdtherapy.com/reviews/blade_dts.php
    >http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCBH-50043
    >
    >Go figure...
    >
    >Julien

    I have both of these dts LD's and have the Japanese DVD of Blade as
    well. The sound on the Blade dts LD is much better. If I play the LD
    on my HLD-X9 and the DVD on my Sony 7700, there is no competition, the
    DVD pales in comparison. I use a upgraded Denon AVC-A1SE as my
    surround amp. Not ony is the bass deeper, but the sound field is much
    more enveloping. And before anyone says it, the difference I hear is
    NOT becaus the LD sound is mastered at a higher level. I have checked
    with a digital sound level meter with memory and they both reach the
    same maximum SPL at the exact same places in the movie.

    Arne

    Arne Johannessen wrote:
    > I have checked
    > with a digital sound level meter with memory and they both reach the
    > same maximum SPL at the exact same places in the movie.

    Peak is peak, not dynamic range. Peak is far from the full story when it
    comes to dynamic range. What is the RMS output. It could be that the
    dynamic range is different. The DD could have 70dB of DR and the DTS
    could have 40dB. That difference could be interpreted as "more enveloping".

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game

    I have been mentioning this a long time, this debate started back with Men
    in Black years ago and others.

    People who had quality audio systems were finding less bass and less
    dynamics with DVD. The DVD's with DTS soundtracks are better and I always
    look for DTS on the DVD cases.

    LD initially was not any better than a VHS tape. Then as home video took
    off and digital sound was published as clearer and better (I have LD's where
    the Analog sound is superior over the digital) the pressure finally started
    and the THX group started up to improve audio and this process got everyone
    in line. No more did we get a digitized version of the analog track, we
    finally started getting remastered digital tracks. Then AC-3 and DTS. You
    have to remember that LD was consider a niche group and the pressure for top
    quality sound as in the theaters was pushed by Videophiles/Audiophiles. The
    average consumer was not considered a LD owner as it didn't record.

    Then DVD was pushed as a format for everyone. This means sound through TV
    speakers, Sounddesign systems (If they are still around) to Bryston, Ayre
    and other Audiophile systems. The low end cannot handle the dynamics so
    just make it loud and limit the dynamics, just like top 40 CD's are
    produced.

    Now some DVD's have better sound than others but I have never heard a DVD
    out perform a LD for Sound.

    Kurtis

    "Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
    > Arne Johannessen wrote:
    >> I have checked
    >> with a digital sound level meter with memory and they both reach the
    >> same maximum SPL at the exact same places in the movie.
    >>

    > Peak is peak, not dynamic range. Peak is far from the full story when it
    > comes to dynamic range. What is the RMS output. It could be that the
    > dynamic range is different. The DD could have 70dB of DR and the DTS could
    > have 40dB. That difference could be interpreted as "more enveloping".
    >
    > Matthew
    >
    > --
    > Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
    > You can't win
    > You can't break even
    > You can't get out of the game

    > I have both of these dts LD's and have the Japanese DVD of Blade as
    > well. The sound on the Blade dts LD is much better. If I play the LD
    > on my HLD-X9 and the DVD on my Sony 7700, there is no competition, the
    > DVD pales in comparison. I use a upgraded Denon AVC-A1SE as my
    > surround amp. Not ony is the bass deeper, but the sound field is much
    > more enveloping. And before anyone says it, the difference I hear is
    > NOT becaus the LD sound is mastered at a higher level. I have checked
    > with a digital sound level meter with memory and they both reach the
    > same maximum SPL at the exact same places in the movie.
    >
    > Arne

    Isn't it nice to be reminded every once in a while why we still love and
    keep those big shiny discs?

    Troels
    (proud owner of 109 DTS-ldtitles)

    But the bottom line is "Scream" in any version worth over $200?? Damn you'd
    have to pay me $200 to make me sit through that "formage" of a
    movie......damn the uncut version...even more barf bags please.....yikes.

    These are the same dudes paying ridiculous amounts for DTS versions of
    "Flubber" and the Signature Collection version of "The Frightners".
    These movies simply "stink". Wish I had cases of these DTS lasers in my
    garage so I could get 8 freakin Bryston monoblocks in my rack after all my
    sales on ebay!

    redline1 wrote:
    > These are the same dudes paying ridiculous amounts for DTS versions
    > of "Flubber" and the Signature Collection version of "The
    > Frightners". These movies simply "stink".

    The Frighteners Director's Cut does not "stink," IMHO. I find it quite
    enjoyable after multiple viewings.

    -Junior

    redline1 wrote:
    > But the bottom line is "Scream" in any version worth over $200?? Damn
    you'd
    > have to pay me $200 to make me sit through that "formage" of a
    > movie......damn the uncut version...even more barf bags
    please.....yikes.

    > These are the same dudes paying ridiculous amounts for DTS versions
    of
    > "Flubber" and the Signature Collection version of "The Frightners".
    > These movies simply "stink". Wish I had cases of these DTS lasers in
    my
    > garage so I could get 8 freakin Bryston monoblocks in my rack after
    all my
    > sales on ebay!

    I've been monitoring ebay DTS LD releases for some time. Another blade
    & screen DTS LS are up for auction as well.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=381&item=6394432984&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=381&item=6394439316&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    Will see how much that ends for I suppose many of these people who pay
    outlandish prices for the LDs simply don't know to look around at
    thrift stores, garage sales, and pawn shops to get LDs for cheap.
    Perhaps they do not live in close proximity to these types of
    venues/stores. Albeit, I too get LDs from ebay, but I'm not going to
    pay ridiculous prices for them. I just picked up the Star Wars Trilogy
    Widescreen Face version LDs, CAV boxset of the Lion King, and DTS
    Nightmare Before Christmas all for a grand total of $6.00 at a garage
    sale.

    "rhiohki" <rhiohki@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just picked up the Star Wars Trilogy
    > Widescreen Face version LDs, CAV boxset of the Lion King, and DTS
    > Nightmare Before Christmas all for a grand total of $6.00 at a garage
    > sale.

    NICE!

    Troels

    Those are nice buys. What's wrong with the anamorphic DVD versions of ANY
    DTS Laser? I'll take a nice anamorphic transfer over any 4:3 LTBX DTS
    laser, sans higher sound resolution.
    I think alot of these buyers simply have to justify their purchase no
    matter if the movie is good or bad.
    As long as it's in DTS or rare, they feel the need to own it. Even though
    the the movies are "dogs" from the get go.

    Your titled to your opnion and so am I. The director had no clue which way
    the movie was going. Was it supposed to be scary, a comedy, or a little
    romance? I guess I shared the same opinion as the majority because the
    movie bombed at the box office.
    I guess Michael J. Fox felt he owed Robert Zemekis a favor for all those
    BTTF films...wasn't Zemekis the producer?
    I fondly remember the transfer of the laser, I beleive the Signature
    Collection version is the exact same transfer as the regular LTBX one,
    just loaded with extras.
    Anyway I had the LD in my CLD-97 at the time feeding a iScan Pro line
    doubler, could not get a nice picture no matter how much I tweaked the
    doubler. In any case, the terrible picture suited the overall jist of the
    movie....le formage!

    Thanks to correct this "cheesy" deformation of French ^_^;

    Rgds,
    Julien

    redline1 wrote:
    > Your titled to your opnion and so am I.

    Not to mention that I'm ENTITLED to my opinion, as well. :-)

    -Junior

    "redline1" <retel1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In any case, the terrible picture suited the overall jist of the
    > movie....le formage!

    The word is "fromage".

    On 11 May 2005 11:14:41 -0700, "rhiohki" <rhiohki@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >redline1 wrote:
    >> But the bottom line is "Scream" in any version worth over $200?? Damn
    >you'd
    >> have to pay me $200 to make me sit through that "formage" of a
    >> movie......damn the uncut version...even more barf bags
    >please.....yikes.
    >>
    >> These are the same dudes paying ridiculous amounts for DTS versions
    >of
    >> "Flubber" and the Signature Collection version of "The Frightners".
    >> These movies simply "stink". Wish I had cases of these DTS lasers in
    >my
    >> garage so I could get 8 freakin Bryston monoblocks in my rack after
    >all my
    >> sales on ebay!
    >
    >I've been monitoring ebay DTS LD releases for some time. Another blade
    >& screen DTS LS are up for auction as well.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=381&item=6394432984&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=381&item=6394439316&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    >
    >Will see how much that ends for I suppose many of these people who pay
    >outlandish prices for the LDs simply don't know to look around at
    >thrift stores, garage sales, and pawn shops to get LDs for cheap.
    >Perhaps they do not live in close proximity to these types of
    >venues/stores. Albeit, I too get LDs from ebay, but I'm not going to
    >pay ridiculous prices for them. I just picked up the Star Wars Trilogy
    >Widescreen Face version LDs, CAV boxset of the Lion King, and DTS
    >Nightmare Before Christmas all for a grand total of $6.00 at a garage
    >sale.

    you are only saying that because you just got that stuff for $6...not
    everyone lives in areas where laserdiscs floursihed back in the day,
    and not everyone lives in areas where people are discarding laserdiscs
    that sell for $100+ on eBay for $1 each.

    since you seem to think that they are paying so much, how about you
    put one of those up for buy it now 10$?

    i didn't think so.

    You must have not read my entire post. I did mention that maybe those
    people paying these prices weren't close to areas were pawn shops,
    thrift stores, and garage sales thrived. I am a collector of a lot of
    things not only laserdiscs. I'm an avid collector of vintage PC games
    and console games, magazines, and comics. The best part of collecting
    is "THE HUNT" meaning finding that hard to find item or that one piece
    you've been looking for at a great price. Ebay is NOT the be-all,
    end-all of the laserdisc market. Sure, there are discs that I have to
    use Ebay for, but I'm definitely not going to buy all my discs off of
    ebay. And I'm definitely not going to put a high-proxy bid or get into
    a bid war on a disc that I'm pretty sure will surface again. I have
    nothing against ebay, in fact, I have plenty of ebay feedback as both a
    buyer and a seller. I am just curious as to why people will get into
    bid wars for a disc that most likely will be up again sometime in the
    near future. But to each his own I guess.

    xixo wrote:
    > since you seem to think that they are paying so much, how about you
    > put one of those up for buy it now 10$?

    And what EXACTLY would that prove?

    -Junior

Laser Disc Players Ebay