First Build - $800-1000

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Hello everyone, this is my first post on Tom's Hardware but the forums have always helped me in the past. Seems like a great community so decided to finally make a account.

I want to build my first PC mainly leaning towards gaming and general use.

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-4 Weeks (Due to money)

Budget Range: $800 to $1000.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/Movies, Internet, Light Video Editing.

Parts Not Required: Just building the tower, I will need to upgrade from my 19 inch monitor soon.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I've mainly researched parts at MSY which is a Australian based company (www.msy.com.au) since I feel somewhat more reassured when I can physically walk into the store if the parts are faulty or the packaging was damaged.

Parts Preferences: I'd like to go with Intel, i5/1150 (I'll list the rest underneath)

Overclocking: I have no experience with overclocking and wouldn't like to blow my computer up due to lack of knowledge.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I wouldn't mind if the computer wasn't as loud, so I can downloading at night. I wouldn't want to go too far out of my way for it but the lower db for fans etc would be a quick fix.

My current preference, expand to it as you wish.

CPU: Right now I'm thinking a i5-4690 3.5 ghz cpu due to it being slightly better than the 4670 with it's only downfall not allowing overclocking.

Motherboard: I still haven't decided on one and would love some opinions, I don't mind spending a little more if it allows future upgrades. Only ATX or mATX

Case: Something along these lines, I might change the fans to blue however.
http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/new-products/13433--corsair-ccspec-01-carbide-spec-01-black-usb30-mid-tower-case-without-psu.html

Ram: Perhaps 8 GB DDR3 1600+

PSU: I'm thinking 550W+ if not more to be on the safe side

Graphics Card: I'm thinking Gigabyte R9 270X GDDR5-2GB

HDD: I don't think I'll bother putting money into a SSD so just a standard 1TB HDD with possibly a second one in the future for movies/shows.

OS: Windows 7 Pro (64bit) I don't really like the layout of Windows 8.

Sorry if the post was too much to read but I guess it's better off detailed. Any opinions, comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Alpha3031

Honorable
What kind of games do you play and at what settings and FPS do you expect it?

It's free to make win8's UI almost exactly like win7, and it will support DX12 among other things.

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

I'd like to have the option of playing newer games, along with arma 3 online etc. I wouldn't mind 45+ fps at somewhat high details.

I'll have to look into it, I'm going to have to do some more research into the OS's to what will be more suitable for gaming/general use but the main turn off is the touch screen interface.

Alpha3031

Honorable
You don't need to use the touch screen interface. There is also almost no chance of you blowing your computer up with overclocking, if you do it right, and can squeeze a lot of value out of your parts.

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

I know, I'm saying I dislike the touch screen layout itself. I read you can remove it in 8.1 however.

I'd have to look a bit more into overclocking, either way I'd go with the 4690 or 4670.

Saeed813

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
http://uae.dtcae.com/product/custom-gaming-pc-2-5176/
Check the parts should add up to less than $1000, decent in my opinion, scroll down.

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Pretty good but I wouldn't want to downgrade so much on the graphics card since I'll be wanting to do some gaming