Fantasia LD

I have 2 LaserDisc set of Fantasia. Is it worth anything? I know it's been
released on DVD and is now out of print (the DVD is out of print). So what is
LD worth and should I even bother putting it on Ebay? Thanks.

--Leonid
20 answers Last reply
More about fantasia

    "Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote in message
    >I have 2 LaserDisc set of Fantasia. Is it worth anything? I know it's
    >been
    > released on DVD and is now out of print (the DVD is out of print). So
    > what is
    > LD worth and should I even bother putting it on Ebay? Thanks.

    This set was an infamous rotter. You should check your discs for
    speckles before deciding to do anything with them.

    if it's the 2 disc set, you've got $5 if it hasn't rotted. you might get $20
    for the box set if you're lucky--- complete and rot-free, that is. any rot
    at all makes it a throw-away. i know of some people who use worthless
    laserdiscs to make dishware and serving plates, wall decorations, coffee
    tables, etc.. so if you do have discs that have no use or value to watch or
    ebay, there are always other creative things you can to with them, or visit
    goodwill for a tax write-off.
    i very much enjoy this film, and still use the CAV box set as my
    reference when time comes to screen it. good luck --:)

    douglas pratt <douglas.pratt6@verizon.net> wrote:
    : if it's the 2 disc set, you've got $5 if it hasn't rotted. you might get $20
    : for the box set if you're lucky--- complete and rot-free, that is. any rot
    : at all makes it a throw-away. i know of some people who use worthless
    : laserdiscs to make dishware and serving plates, wall decorations, coffee
    : tables, etc.. so if you do have discs that have no use or value to watch or
    : ebay, there are always other creative things you can to with them, or visit
    : goodwill for a tax write-off.
    : i very much enjoy this film, and still use the CAV box set as my
    : reference when time comes to screen it. good luck --:)

    Very good. Thanks. But now I'd like to know whether this disc is rotted or not.
    What is LD rot? Is it when I see white dots here and there?

    --Leonid

    : "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in message
    : news:M1A7e.5630$go4.3433@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    : > "Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote in message
    : > news:d3mens$337$1@news3.bu.edu...
    : >>I have 2 LaserDisc set of Fantasia. Is it worth anything? I know it's been
    : >> released on DVD and is now out of print (the DVD is out of print). So
    : >> what is
    : >> LD worth and should I even bother putting it on Ebay? Thanks.
    : >
    : > This set was an infamous rotter. You should check your discs for speckles
    : > before deciding to do anything with them.
    : >

    > which means it starts at the end of a side and works backward toward
    the beginning (LDs are read from the center out).

    I don't agree, LD's rot can be found at the beginning or at the end of
    a side, where the data are closer to the edge (inner or outer).

    LD are read from the outside to the inside (that is why your LD player
    makes more noise at the beginning of a CLV side, motor has to spin
    faster at the outer edge to read the same amount of data) then
    gradually goes down as the laser head moves toward the inside.

    Rgds,
    Julien

    Leonid Makarovsky <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote:

    > Very good. Thanks. But now I'd like to know whether this disc
    > is rotted or not. What is LD rot?

    Generally speaking, LD rot is when an imperfect seal around the edges of the
    disc allow air in under the laminate to oxydize the metallic surface.

    > Is it when I see white dots here and there?

    No, those are just drop-outs. Rot manifests itself visually as red and blue
    snow, accompanied by chattering on the audio tracks. More often than not,
    it starts at the outside edge and works its way inward, which means it starts at
    the end of a side and works backward toward the beginning (LDs are read from the
    center out).

    -- jayembee

    "All consumer optical media play from the inside out. LD Chapter
    1 (or 0), as with CD Track 1, is near the center hole. This
    allows players to avoid having to determine the disc diameter
    before figuring out where the lead-in tracks are."

    http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/ld_faq.pdf

    "Julien Wilk" <generikz@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
    >> which means it starts at the end of a side and works backward toward
    > the beginning (LDs are read from the center out).
    >
    > I don't agree, LD's rot can be found at the beginning or at the end of
    > a side, where the data are closer to the edge (inner or outer).
    >
    > LD are read from the outside to the inside (that is why your LD player
    > makes more noise at the beginning of a CLV side, motor has to spin
    > faster at the outer edge to read the same amount of data) then
    > gradually goes down as the laser head moves toward the inside.

    LD are read from the inside to the outside (just like CD) and the motor has
    to spin faster at the inner edge because it takes more laps to cover the
    same amount of data (the same distance is read in a second, imagine it like
    a rolled-up tape), again just like CD

    Marcel B

    > Rgds,
    > Julien

    >> LD are read from the outside to the inside
    > Sorry, but no.

    Yes, sorry, I got my speed/inside-outside all crossed wrong ^_^;

    Hopefully monday is there to recover from the week-end...

    Rgds,
    Julien

    On 17 Apr 2005 03:20:29 -0700, "Julien Wilk" <generikz@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> which means it starts at the end of a side and works backward toward
    >> the beginning (LDs are read from the center out).
    >
    > I don't agree, LD's rot can be found at the beginning or at the end of
    > a side, where the data are closer to the edge (inner or outer).

    You trimmed too much from my posting, specifically the part where I say
    "more often than not".

    I didn't say that it *always* starts at the outside edge, but that it usually
    does. Every case of rot I've seen with my own eyes has started at the
    outside edge.

    jayembee <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote:
    : Generally speaking, LD rot is when an imperfect seal around the edges of the
    : disc allow air in under the laminate to oxydize the metallic surface.
    : No, those are just drop-outs. Rot manifests itself visually as red and blue
    : snow, accompanied by chattering on the audio tracks. More often than not,
    : it starts at the outside edge and works its way inward, which means it starts at
    : the end of a side and works backward toward the beginning (LDs are read from the
    : center out).

    It looks like my Fantasia is rot free. Didn't see anything that would indicate
    rots. So I guess, I can put it up on ebay. Is there a group where I can
    advertise LD sales?

    --Leonid

    I have mint, sealed copies of Fantasia. The going rate is usually about
    $3-$5US.
    It's not really worth too much effort on your part for such a common
    item...
    Kevin
    p.s. I usually get about $1-$2 for used copies of Fantasia.

    A picture is worth a thousand words, check my post:

    http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/pics/ConquestNoise.jpg

    The colored dots all over the screen (clearly seen here in these dark
    scenes from Fulci's Conquest) are rot. On this particular disc, there
    was more rot towards the end of the side (last screen shot) than at the
    beginning (first screen shot, with title).

    Nicolas
    eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Discs-Of-Japan?refid=store
    LDDb store: http://japanld.free.fr/shops.php?owner=n$a
    LD website: http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/

    Thanks. Looks like my Fantasia is clean and rotless.

    --Leonid

    n$a <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote:
    : A picture is worth a thousand words, check my post:

    : http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/pics/ConquestNoise.jpg

    : The colored dots all over the screen (clearly seen here in these dark
    : scenes from Fulci's Conquest) are rot. On this particular disc, there
    : was more rot towards the end of the side (last screen shot) than at the
    : beginning (first screen shot, with title).

    : Nicolas
    : eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Discs-Of-Japan?refid=store
    : LDDb store: http://japanld.free.fr/shops.php?owner=n$a
    : LD website: http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/

    Hmmm...

    I know I am jumping in here, but with the comments made I have to ask.

    Those white dots when on still frames...do they appear as color? I had a
    CLD-D703 for a short period of time and I played some discs and when those
    white dots were on "still", they had color. But when playing, they
    appeared white. ??. I do have a few discs with green/orange/pink dots like
    shown in the photo, but strangely in all cases it is not bad. There is
    like ONE colored dot that scrolls horizontally from right to left across
    the screen, and then repeats from the right side again. It does this a few
    times, and then the disc is perfect for the rest. The discs I have like
    this are from 1985 or so. None have become worse and in the cases I have
    those, they haven't spread (since I bought them) and I guess I assumed it
    was maybe a pressing mistake.

    BrianL wrote:

    > Those white dots when on still frames...do they appear as color? I
    had a
    > CLD-D703 for a short period of time and I played some discs and when
    those
    > white dots were on "still", they had color. But when playing, they
    > appeared white. ??.

    It is hard to tell the color of one dot that appears in one frame when
    running at speed, it looks like "speckling". To diagnose rot you have
    to still and step through frames.

    > I do have a few discs with green/orange/pink dots like
    > shown in the photo, but strangely in all cases it is not bad. There
    is
    > like ONE colored dot that scrolls horizontally from right to left
    across
    > the screen, and then repeats from the right side again. It does this
    a few
    > times, and then the disc is perfect for the rest.

    Rot is random by nature. If your dot is moving in a "logical" way, i
    think it has to be some other problem: at the source, from the
    transfer, during the manufacturing.

    On 4 May 2005 19:16:43 -0700, "n$a" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote:

    >BrianL wrote:
    >>
    >> Those white dots when on still frames...do they appear as color? I
    >had a
    >> CLD-D703 for a short period of time and I played some discs and when
    >those
    >> white dots were on "still", they had color. But when playing, they
    >> appeared white. ??.
    >
    >It is hard to tell the color of one dot that appears in one frame when
    >running at speed, it looks like "speckling". To diagnose rot you have
    >to still and step through frames.
    >
    >> I do have a few discs with green/orange/pink dots like
    >> shown in the photo, but strangely in all cases it is not bad. There
    >is
    >> like ONE colored dot that scrolls horizontally from right to left
    >across
    >> the screen, and then repeats from the right side again. It does this
    >a few
    >> times, and then the disc is perfect for the rest.
    >
    >Rot is random by nature. If your dot is moving in a "logical" way, i
    >think it has to be some other problem: at the source, from the
    >transfer, during the manufacturing.

    Nope. A mark moving across the screen and dropping down line by line
    is still either rot or inclusion. It is a failure that extends across
    several "grooves" (or parts of the spiral) but unless the disc is CAV
    the spiral won't line up, the side by side parts of the spiral are not
    of exactly the same part of the picture scan. These were a common
    artifact with Discovison and do turn up on unrotted discs where a bit
    of dirt may have been caught under the laminate.

    ... Steve .

    I agree that an inclusion may cause the symptom of a mark moving across
    the screen, but an inclusion is not "rot" imho, it is a manufacturing
    defect and the result would be seen right after the disc was pressed.
    Rot, i believe, however fast it may develop, would not be visible if
    you checked the future rotter the minute after it was pressed. In that
    sense i'd say rot is a time phenomenon with random results, while an
    inclusion is a stable manufacturing defect with a rational pattern
    (linked to the CAV/CLV type of disc as you wrote). A disc can suffer
    from both of course.

    On 8 May 2005 00:38:16 -0700, "n$a" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote:

    >I agree that an inclusion may cause the symptom of a mark moving across
    >the screen, but an inclusion is not "rot" imho, it is a manufacturing
    >defect and the result would be seen right after the disc was pressed.
    >Rot, i believe, however fast it may develop, would not be visible if
    >you checked the future rotter the minute after it was pressed. In that
    >sense i'd say rot is a time phenomenon with random results, while an
    >inclusion is a stable manufacturing defect with a rational pattern
    >(linked to the CAV/CLV type of disc as you wrote). A disc can suffer
    >from both of course.

    BrianL did say the moving dot was always there, so yes, it's most
    likely inclusion. My comment on laserot causing moving dots was
    mainly related to Discovison discs which would often fail with
    corrosion or break down (true "rot") occuring on one spot on the disc
    and crossing several spirals.

    ... Steve ..

    I was not the original owner of the disc. I purchased it a few years back.
    I just wondered if it was rot because it didn't get worse, and it had a
    logical pattern to it's movement. As if a record with a deep scratch on it
    will result in an audible 'pop' every time the stylus runs across it.

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 18:36:38 -0400, "BrianL"
    <stormbringer81@nospam.adelphia.net> wrote:

    >I was not the original owner of the disc. I purchased it a few years back.
    >I just wondered if it was rot because it didn't get worse, and it had a
    >logical pattern to it's movement.

    >"As if a record with a deep scratch on it
    >will result in an audible 'pop' every time the stylus runs across it."

    That is an exact analogy, same type of thing as a moving dot on a
    laserdisc.

    ... Steve .

Laser Disc Players DVD Video