DVL-919 region free player

Hello,

I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make it
region free in order to play UK or US LD.

thanks for your response
8 answers Last reply
More about dvl 919 region free player

    ....I'm sure you meant "...to play UK or UD DVD's" because there are no
    region coded LD's

    Klaus

    <grille11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make
    it
    > region free in order to play UK or US LD.
    >
    > thanks for your response

    There are no region codes on LD's, so that is never an issue, but no you
    can't play PAL LD's on an NTSC player. There are a few European models that
    will play both NTSC adn PAL, but the 919 is NOT one of them AFAIK. It
    probably needs to be chipp modified for region-free DVD playback, but again,
    it may not handle PAL disks so it would be pointless.

    There are several different variants of the final Pioneer LD player

    DVL-919 (black) - US version - Region 1 NTSC Only
    DVL-919 (champagne) - Hong Kong - Region 3 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
    DVL-919 (champagne) - Japan- Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
    DVL-919E (champagne) - UK - Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
    DVL-919E (champagne) - Australia - Region 4 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD

    Several of these are 'capable' of being set as region free, but I've
    no details about making them so.

    I'm sure there are some other variants, but these are the one's I've
    seen.

    Blaine

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:08:00 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:

    ><grille11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make
    >it
    >> region free in order to play UK or US LD.
    >>
    >> thanks for your response
    >>

    >There are no region codes on LD's, so that is never an issue, but no you
    >can't play PAL LD's on an NTSC player. There are a few European models that
    >will play both NTSC adn PAL, but the 919 is NOT one of them AFAIK. It
    >probably needs to be chipp modified for region-free DVD playback, but again,
    >it may not handle PAL disks so it would be pointless.

    Blaine
    blam1@oz.net
    http://www.blamld.com

    Oops. Made an error here. The DVL-919 from Japan DOES NOT play PAL
    LDs or DVDs.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    Blaine

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:50:59 -0700, Blaine Young <blam@oz.net> wrote:

    >There are several different variants of the final Pioneer LD player
    >
    >DVL-919 (black) - US version - Region 1 NTSC Only
    >DVL-919 (champagne) - Hong Kong - Region 3 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
    >DVL-919 (champagne) - Japan- Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
    >DVL-919E (champagne) - UK - Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
    >DVL-919E (champagne) - Australia - Region 4 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
    >
    >Several of these are 'capable' of being set as region free, but I've
    >no details about making them so.
    >
    >I'm sure there are some other variants, but these are the one's I've
    >seen.
    >
    >Blaine
    >
    >On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:08:00 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:
    >

    >><grille11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make
    >>it
    >>> region free in order to play UK or US LD.
    >>>
    >>> thanks for your response
    >>>

    >>There are no region codes on LD's, so that is never an issue, but no you
    >>can't play PAL LD's on an NTSC player. There are a few European models that
    >>will play both NTSC adn PAL, but the 919 is NOT one of them AFAIK. It
    >>probably needs to be chipp modified for region-free DVD playback, but again,
    >>it may not handle PAL disks so it would be pointless.
    >>

    >Blaine
    >blam1@oz.net
    >http://www.blamld.com

    Blaine
    blam1@oz.net
    http://www.blamld.com

    "Blaine Young" <blam@oz.net> kirjoitti
    viestissä:si9j71tm1ke0emf4alcst553244q6olaou@4ax.com...
    > Oops. Made an error here. The DVL-919 from Japan DOES NOT play PAL
    > LDs or DVDs.
    >
    > Sorry for the confusion.
    >
    > Blaine

    To add to the confusion, I have a Hongkong DVL-909 which plays both NTSC and
    PAL DVD's but only NTSC LD's. Whether this applies to 919's, I don't know.

    kp

    I thought all NTSC DVD decks could play PAL also, can't they ? At least
    my Pioneer DV-S838A, a purely Japan domestic (therefore NTSC) DVD deck,
    can apparently play PAL DVDs as well, though by lack of a PAL
    compatible display all i can get out of a PAL DVD on this deck is
    proper sound, and an unsynched image.

    Not all US R1 DVD Players will play PAL, but it its becoming more and
    more common in recent years. Not sure about the high end models
    though. I have a Pioneer DV270 player in my computer room and it
    plays PAL as well as outputs it to my NTSC TV so I can actually watch
    it properly, however the unit is not region free. Anyone know if I
    can make that unit region free? I am looking to purchase a Pioneer
    Elite DV-59AVI, and would like that to be region free as well.

    I think the players being able to play/display PAL & NTSC started in
    Europe years ago.

    Ed

    "n$a" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote in message
    >I thought all NTSC DVD decks could play PAL also, can't they ? At least
    > my Pioneer DV-S838A, a purely Japan domestic (therefore NTSC) DVD
    > deck,
    > can apparently play PAL DVDs as well, though by lack of a PAL
    > compatible display all i can get out of a PAL DVD on this deck is
    > proper sound, and an unsynched image.

    No, that's only true of some players, not all. Many NTSC DVD players
    just won't play a PAL disc at all, regardless of region code.

Laser Disc Players Video