Flash memory in Hybrid hard drives *save* power

Where's the guy who was insisting that flash memory wouldn't save power
over hard drives?

Appropriate quote:

"Samsung Semiconductor executives said Monday that the concept of a hard
drive incorporating flash memory will be a reality, and come to market
in mid-2006.

The drive, first talked about at last year's Windows Hardware
Engineering Conference (WinHEC) in Seattle, will be manufactured by
Samsung's hard disk drive division, according to the company. The drive
will be initially targeted at notebooks, where the drive's low power
consumption will yield the most benefit."

Wow, imagine that, flash memory saves power!?

Randy S.
31 answers Last reply
More about flash memory hybrid hard drives save power

    "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in news:d4op10$l58$1
    @spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:

    > Where's the guy who was insisting that flash memory wouldn't save power
    > over hard drives?

    He wandered off after a week, like I predicted. Hopefully this won't wake
    him back up, but if it does, he'll get bored again eventually.

    "Howard" <stile99@email.com.> wrote in message
    > "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in news:d4op10$l58$1
    > @spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:
    >
    >> Where's the guy who was insisting that flash memory wouldn't save power
    >> over hard drives?
    >
    > He wandered off after a week, like I predicted. Hopefully this won't wake
    > him back up, but if it does, he'll get bored again eventually.

    As long as your post doesn't contain certain keywords, he probably won't be
    back. Make sure your posts don't contain the words "pow*er", "sur*ge" and
    "dam*age" (asterisks put in to throw off search engine), he probably won't
    find them.

    Seth wrote:
    > "Howard" <stile99@email.com.> wrote in message
    >
    >> "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in news:d4op10$l58$1
    >> @spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:
    >>
    >>> Where's the guy who was insisting that flash memory wouldn't save power
    >>> over hard drives?
    >>

    >> He wandered off after a week, like I predicted. Hopefully this won't
    >> wake
    >> him back up, but if it does, he'll get bored again eventually.
    >

    > As long as your post doesn't contain certain keywords, he probably won't
    > be back. Make sure your posts don't contain the words "pow*er",
    > "sur*ge" and "dam*age" (asterisks put in to throw off search engine), he
    > probably won't find them.

    Those are really odd things to get fixated on!?

    Randy S.

    Randy S. wrote:
    > "The drive will be initially targeted at notebooks, where the drive's
    > low power consumption will yield the most benefit."
    >
    > Wow, imagine that, flash memory saves power!?

    Yes, for typical workday non-video applications.

    "Filling up a 128-Mbyte flash chip may require writing to the disk
    once every 11 minutes or so, in a worst-case scenario [on a laptop]."

    A one-gigibit chip (128 megabytes) handles only 40 seconds at 3 MB/s.
    -Joe

    "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    >> As long as your post doesn't contain certain keywords, he probably won't
    >> be back. Make sure your posts don't contain the words "pow*er", "sur*ge"
    >> and "dam*age" (asterisks put in to throw off search engine), he probably
    >> won't find them.
    >
    > Those are really odd things to get fixated on!?

    Do a search of his postings and you'll see. All over Usenet, when the
    issues alluded to above come around, he's there to preach.

    Once upon a time, Seth <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> said:
    >Do a search of his postings and you'll see. All over Usenet, when the
    >issues alluded to above come around, he's there to preach.

    Yep. Saw him here, then a couple of months later he popped into a local
    (Huntsville, Alabama) newsgroup with the same messages. You forgot the
    word "gr0und" BTW.
    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

    "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Do a search of his postings and you'll see. All over Usenet, when the
    > issues alluded to above come around, he's there to preach.

    Is he always that mind-bogglingly wrong?

    I mean...if I spent my time grepping the news spool for a certain subject,
    I'd at least open a friggin' primer on the topic first, if not take pains to
    familiarize myself with it.

    "Chris Adams" <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
    > Once upon a time, Seth <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> said:
    >>Do a search of his postings and you'll see. All over Usenet, when the
    >>issues alluded to above come around, he's there to preach.
    >
    > Yep. Saw him here, then a couple of months later he popped into a local
    > (Huntsville, Alabama) newsgroup with the same messages. You forgot the
    > word "gr0und" BTW.

    Well, that's his thing. Usually that word is absent in the original post
    and he pops in to provide it.

    > "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Do a search of his postings and you'll see. All over Usenet, when the
    >> issues alluded to above come around, he's there to preach.
    >
    > Is he always that mind-bogglingly wrong?
    >
    > I mean...if I spent my time grepping the news spool for a certain subject,
    > I'd at least open a friggin' primer on the topic first, if not take pains
    > familiarize myself with it.

    Most of what he says in regards to grounding and such in the satellite
    newsgroups is correct, but I guess he saw his "keywords" here, saw this
    group as a new frontier and went to town.

    Joe Smith wrote:
    > Randy S. wrote:
    >
    >> "The drive will be initially targeted at notebooks, where the drive's
    >> low power consumption will yield the most benefit."
    >>
    >> Wow, imagine that, flash memory saves power!?
    >

    > Yes, for typical workday non-video applications.
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1585978,00.asp
    >
    > "Filling up a 128-Mbyte flash chip may require writing to the disk
    > once every 11 minutes or so, in a worst-case scenario [on a laptop]."
    >
    > A one-gigibit chip (128 megabytes) handles only 40 seconds at 3 MB/s.
    > -Joe

    There's a reason it's a "hybrid" drive. Flash memory ain't quite up to
    the task on it's own yet. One day . . . .

    The new "perpindicular" HD's sound interesting though. Expect sizes
    well above 500 GB next year.

    Randy S.

    Randy S. wrote:

    > The new "perpindicular" HD's sound interesting though. Expect sizes
    > well above 500 GB next year.

    For those of you who missed it: Hitachi announced perpendicular
    recording in a song:
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_head/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html

    > There's a reason it's a "hybrid" drive. Flash memory ain't quite up to
    > the task on it's own yet. One day . . . .
    >
    > The new "perpindicular" HD's sound interesting though. Expect sizes
    > well above 500 GB next year.
    >
    > Randy S.

    If I could only spell "perpendicular"!

    Randy S.

    Joe Smith wrote:
    > Randy S. wrote:
    >
    >> The new "perpindicular" HD's sound interesting though. Expect sizes
    >> well above 500 GB next year.
    >

    > For those of you who missed it: Hitachi announced perpendicular
    > recording in a song:
    > http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_head/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html

    OMG! Whose warped imagination came up with that! ;-)

    Randy S.

    "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Chris Adams" <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
    > > Once upon a time, Seth <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> said:
    > >>Do a search of his postings and you'll see. All over Usenet, when the
    > >>issues alluded to above come around, he's there to preach.
    > >
    > > Yep. Saw him here, then a couple of months later he popped into a local
    > > (Huntsville, Alabama) newsgroup with the same messages. You forgot the
    > > word "gr0und" BTW.
    >
    > Well, that's his thing. Usually that word is absent in the original post
    > and he pops in to provide it.

    Would this guy be an advocate of whole-house ummm, s***e pr0tection, by any
    chance? If so, I think I remember him from about 3-5 years ago...wow.

    Ed
    84HurstOlds@nowherenow.com

    "machinehead" <zzz@zzz.com> wrote in message

    > "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Chris Adams" <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Yep. Saw him here, then a couple of months later he popped into a
    >> > local
    >> > (Huntsville, Alabama) newsgroup with the same messages. You forgot the
    >> > word "gr0und" BTW.
    >>
    >> Well, that's his thing. Usually that word is absent in the original post
    >> and he pops in to provide it.
    >
    > Would this guy be an advocate of whole-house ummm, s***e pr0tection, by
    > any
    > chance? If so, I think I remember him from about 3-5 years ago...wow.

    The same.

    But in all honesty, I am also a fan of "whole house s***e pr0tection", and
    agree with him, at least on a technical level, that it is the way to go.

    But, I'm no where near being in his league of fanaticism.

    > The same.
    >
    > But in all honesty, I am also a fan of "whole house s***e pr0tection", and
    > agree with him, at least on a technical level, that it is the way to go.
    >
    > But, I'm no where near being in his league of fanaticism.

    Yeah, that about sums it up. Like, "ok guy, we beleive you, but calm down!"

    machinehead wrote:
    > "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>The same.
    >>
    >>But in all honesty, I am also a fan of "whole house s***e pr0tection", and
    >>agree with him, at least on a technical level, that it is the way to go.
    >>
    >>But, I'm no where near being in his league of fanaticism.
    >

    > Yeah, that about sums it up. Like, "ok guy, we beleive you, but calm down!"
    > :-P
    >
    > Ed
    > 84HurstOlds@nowherenow.com

    What mystified me was when he branched off into whole other levels of
    topics he clearly did not have an understanding of. The odd thing was
    that his central tenet wasn't wrong (though over the top), but he
    presented it so wacky!

    Randy S.

    * Seth wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    [...]

    > But in all honesty, I am also a fan of "whole house s***e pr0tection", and
    > agree with him, at least on a technical level, that it is the way to go.

    > But, I'm no where near being in his league of fanaticism.

    I added Light*ing protection AND WHSP when the house down the street was
    burned down by a strike. North Texas is higlhy susceptible to mass
    strikes and I had just bought my house months before. $3500 well spent.

    --
    David
    If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Randy S. (rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >>There's a reason it's a "hybrid" drive. Flash memory ain't quite up to
    >>the task on it's own yet. One day . . . .
    >

    > It will also only work in a notebook, where performance is usually traded
    > for speed. Flash memory that handles current performance hard drive
    > transfer speeds (20-40MB/sec) is *expensive*, and there is nothing that
    > can match the 40-60MB/sec of high-performance drives.

    No question. This is definitely "future-tech" as far as very
    cost-sensitive applications go.

    >>The new "perpindicular" HD's sound interesting though. Expect sizes
    >>well above 500 GB next year.
    >

    > But we *still* won't be able to use them in our TiVos. Unless TiVo makes
    > some massive changes to the MFS file system, the 300-350GB range is the
    > most it can handle on a single drive.

    Really? What is the limiting factorin the MFS file system? I know the
    LBA48 addressing scales up a lot.

    Randy S.

    > Randy S. (rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> There's a reason it's a "hybrid" drive. Flash memory ain't quite up to
    >> the task on it's own yet. One day . . . .
    >
    > It will also only work in a notebook, where performance is usually traded
    > for speed. Flash memory that handles current performance hard drive
    > transfer speeds (20-40MB/sec) is *expensive*, and there is nothing that
    > can match the 40-60MB/sec of high-performance drives.

    Flash memory may be only 20-40 MB/sec, but it absolutely kills hard drives in
    random access response time. If the flash section can provide data just long
    enough for the hard drive to finish seeking, overall performance goes way up.

    It doesn't help the constant large transfer scenario of a Tivo, but most
    general purpose hard drive activity can benefit.

    Ken

    Randy S. (rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > But we *still* won't be able to use them in our TiVos. Unless TiVo makes
    > > some massive changes to the MFS file system, the 300-350GB range is the
    > > most it can handle on a single drive.
    > >

    > Really? What is the limiting factorin the MFS file system? I know the
    > LBA48 addressing scales up a lot.

    It's not LBA related. Whatever they did with the MFS file system, it
    simply runs out of "directory entries" (for lack of the correct term) at
    around 320GB.

    IIRC, reports from the HR10-250 show that 300GB drives always work, 350GB
    drives can work but might do weird things, and 400GB drives tend to destroy
    the file system pretty quickly.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > Flash memory may be only 20-40 MB/sec, but it absolutely kills hard drives in
    > random access response time.

    The typical 4-5 MB/sec flash memory that would probably be used doesn't get
    as big an advantage. Adding $20-50 to the cost of the drive isn't a good
    idea unless the power savings was *huge*.

    > If the flash section can provide data just long
    > enough for the hard drive to finish seeking, overall performance goes way up.

    If you could just convince it to cache only certain data (the TiVo database
    but not the video), this technology would be a big speed benefit to a TiVo.

    But, for a general-purpose computer that has far more than 128MB available
    for disk cache, it won't really help much.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >>Flash memory may be only 20-40 MB/sec, but it absolutely kills hard drives in
    >>random access response time.
    >

    > The typical 4-5 MB/sec flash memory that would probably be used doesn't get
    > as big an advantage. Adding $20-50 to the cost of the drive isn't a good
    > idea unless the power savings was *huge*.

    But that won't always be the case, I'm sure Flash memory speed will
    improve greatly rather quickly, as well as continue to drop in price.
    It's not there yet, but the time horizon is pretty short.

    >> If the flash section can provide data just long
    >>enough for the hard drive to finish seeking, overall performance goes way up.
    >

    > If you could just convince it to cache only certain data (the TiVo database
    > but not the video), this technology would be a big speed benefit to a TiVo.
    >
    > But, for a general-purpose computer that has far more than 128MB available
    > for disk cache, it won't really help much.

    Well, I think that's basically the idea behind Samsung's "hybrid" drive,
    the 1 GB flash area is used for what it's good at, while other, more
    typical data is left to the normal part. I think part of what was
    mentioned is that the core of the OS could be loaded into the flash
    section, making cold boots *extremely* quick, as well as enabling much
    lower power "suspend" modes.

    Randy S.

    Randy S. (rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > Jeff Rife wrote:
    > > Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > >
    > >>Flash memory may be only 20-40 MB/sec, but it absolutely kills hard drives in
    > >>random access response time.
    > >

    > > The typical 4-5 MB/sec flash memory that would probably be used doesn't get
    > > as big an advantage. Adding $20-50 to the cost of the drive isn't a good
    > > idea unless the power savings was *huge*.
    >
    > But that won't always be the case, I'm sure Flash memory speed will
    > improve greatly rather quickly, as well as continue to drop in price.
    > It's not there yet, but the time horizon is pretty short.

    Right, but in the same time, drive transfer rates will also increase.
    The "perpendicular" technology claims a doubling in bit density, which
    means a doubling in transfer rate for the same RPM drive (all else being
    equal).

    It might catch up, but only if flash memory needs those speeds. Right
    now, 20 MB/sec is enough for what flash is typically used for. Spending
    money to research increasing the speed won't do anything since the
    volume applications won't benefit from the higher speeds.

    > Well, I think that's basically the idea behind Samsung's "hybrid" drive,
    > the 1 GB flash area is used for what it's good at, while other, more
    > typical data is left to the normal part.

    That's all well and good if it really was 1GB, but it's one gigaBIT, which
    is only 128MB.

    > I think part of what was
    > mentioned is that the core of the OS could be loaded into the flash
    > section, making cold boots *extremely* quick, as well as enabling much
    > lower power "suspend" modes.

    Combine the two and you're right. It won't decrease cold boot time
    significantly because the majority of time in a cold boot for Windows XP
    (the typical OS) is taken in the BIOS and the OS actually executing
    code to hunt down hardware, etc.

    And, the "hibernate" mode of Win2K and beyond is about as low power as
    you can get, but it's a relatively slow startup if you have a lot of RAM
    in use.

    But, with flash, you can have a fast return from a very low power
    hibernation. This technology *could* be used in a DVR that didn't need
    to buffer live TV.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "What kind of universe is this where a man can't
    | love his fake wife's mother's best friend?"
    |
    | -- Ned Dorsey, "Ned and Stacey"

    >>Well, I think that's basically the idea behind Samsung's "hybrid" drive,
    >>the 1 GB flash area is used for what it's good at, while other, more
    >>typical data is left to the normal part.
    >

    > That's all well and good if it really was 1GB, but it's one gigaBIT, which
    > is only 128MB.

    Whoops, I must've misread that! Yes that changes things immensely!

    >> I think part of what was
    >>mentioned is that the core of the OS could be loaded into the flash
    >>section, making cold boots *extremely* quick, as well as enabling much
    >>lower power "suspend" modes.
    >

    > Combine the two and you're right. It won't decrease cold boot time
    > significantly because the majority of time in a cold boot for Windows XP
    > (the typical OS) is taken in the BIOS and the OS actually executing
    > code to hunt down hardware, etc.
    >
    > And, the "hibernate" mode of Win2K and beyond is about as low power as
    > you can get, but it's a relatively slow startup if you have a lot of RAM
    > in use.

    I was differentiating "suspend" (where the computer maintains a low
    power state and maintains power to the RAM) from "hibernate" (where the
    computer actually turns off, and the RAM state is written to disk then
    reloaded into RAM on startup). Which I think leads into your next
    statement:

    > But, with flash, you can have a fast return from a very low power
    > hibernation. This technology *could* be used in a DVR that didn't need
    > to buffer live TV.

    ;-) Interesting stuff. I don't disagree with anything you said, but I
    think I see rotating disk technology leading into an area of diminishing
    returns (I'd say we're either just getting into the initial flattening
    of the curve or not quite there yet) whereas solid state memory methods
    are just gather steam (we're probably just bast the initial "knee"
    upwards). At some point solid state memory will likely surpass rotating
    devices, but it'll be a while (10 yrs?) yet before it reaches general
    use for large mass storage, and of course there will be applications for
    rotating media well beyond that.

    Rady S.

    > Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> Flash memory may be only 20-40 MB/sec, but it absolutely kills hard drives
    >> in
    >> random access response time.
    >
    > The typical 4-5 MB/sec flash memory that would probably be used doesn't get
    > as big an advantage. Adding $20-50 to the cost of the drive isn't a good
    > idea unless the power savings was *huge*.

    In the laptop scenario, the power savings /are/ huge - with a normal system
    memory cache, you can't hold onto write data for very long because if you were
    to lose power or crash, that data would be gone. With the flash based cache,
    you can delay the actual write indefinitely - if the system goes down, the
    cached data isn't lost.

    In their demos, they showed data that a laptop under "typical usage" wrote
    less than 128 MB in a 10 minute period of time. With a flash based cache, the
    laptop could have the hard drive turned off for that entire time.

    Ken

    > Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> In the laptop scenario, the power savings /are/ huge - with a normal system
    >> memory cache, you can't hold onto write data for very long because if you
    >> were
    >> to lose power or crash, that data would be gone. With the flash based
    >> cache,
    >> you can delay the actual write indefinitely - if the system goes down, the
    >> cached data isn't lost.
    >
    > This is just just delaying the issue.

    It's not. When you write to the flash, it is just as good as writing to the
    drive. In fact, it is less of an issue, because the the RAM cache can be
    flushed to the flash cache even more eagerly than it can the disk.

    Flash is non-volatile, meaning if you crash or lose power, the data is still
    there when the system is brought back up. There's always an issue if your
    system goes down while data is in the memory cache, but that doesn't become
    any more of an issue with a hybrid drive.

    >> In their demos, they showed data that a laptop under "typical usage" wrote
    >> less than 128 MB in a 10 minute period of time. With a flash based cache,
    >> the
    >> laptop could have the hard drive turned off for that entire time.
    >
    > ...and when that 129th MB needed to be written out, and power died, you're
    > even *more* screwed than if you had no flash memory in the hard drive,
    > because the drive is spun down and takes even longer to come back up, so
    > you might even be more likely to lose data.

    The flash cache becoming full is not a surprise event. It would be entirely
    reasonable for the operating system to notice the cache was 90% full (or 75%
    full, or whatever), spin up the drive, flush everything, and resume normal
    operation. At no time would the RAM cache be waiting on the flash cache to
    flush, because there would always be enough free flash cache to cover the time
    it takes the hard drive to spin up.

    Ken

    Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > This is just just delaying the issue.
    >
    > It's not. When you write to the flash, it is just as good as writing to the
    > drive. In fact, it is less of an issue, because the the RAM cache can be
    > flushed to the flash cache even more eagerly than it can the disk.

    It's still going to take time to spin up the drive for that 129th MB, and
    during that time, you can lose it and anything else in RAM that was waiting
    for the disk to spin up so that the flash could be flushed to disk. If
    that 129th MB happened to be the "index" to the other 128MB, then you have
    effectively lost it all anyway.

    With a drive that is always spinning and no flash in the picture, you would
    be slightly less likely to run into this situation, so the flash would
    actually make things less safe.

    > The flash cache becoming full is not a surprise event.

    That's definitely not true. It's easy to suddenly burst out a few hundred
    MB, like printing a PDF file (the disk spool can be huge for these, even
    when the file is small).

    > It would be entirely
    > reasonable for the operating system to notice the cache was 90% full (or 75%
    > full, or whatever), spin up the drive, flush everything, and resume normal
    > operation.

    The OS shouldn't be involved at all...the drive should do everything in
    hardware, but that's another issue.

    But, if you always flush at 90% full (or 75% full, or whatever), then you
    waste a big chunk of expensive memory and still gain very little safety.
    There's no doubt these hybrid drives will save some power, but they won't
    increase safety significantly...if that was true, there would have been
    add-in flash cache devices sold already.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I feel the need...the need for

    > It's still going to take time to spin up the drive for that 129th MB, and
    > during that time, you can lose it and anything else in RAM that was waiting
    > for the disk to spin up so that the flash could be flushed to disk. If
    > that 129th MB happened to be the "index" to the other 128MB, then you have
    > effectively lost it all anyway.

    Which is no different than if your entire cache was RAM based, except that the
    likelyhood is that your RAM cache will have more in it, since you can't flush
    as eagerly.

    > With a drive that is always spinning and no flash in the picture, you would
    > be slightly less likely to run into this situation, so the flash would
    > actually make things less safe.

    Even in desktop machines, hard drives are regularly spun down. And you are
    still faced with the fact that it takes time to seek the hard drive (not as
    much as spinning one up, but much more than writing to random access
    non-volatile storage).

    Neither case is "safe". The flash cache does increase the likelyhood that the
    RAM write cache is empty, though.

    >> The flash cache becoming full is not a surprise event.
    >
    > That's definitely not true. It's easy to suddenly burst out a few hundred
    > MB, like printing a PDF file (the disk spool can be huge for these, even
    > when the file is small).

    In which case the process would be waiting on throughput, cache or no cache.
    The flash cache can still begin writing while the hard drive is spinning up.

    > The OS shouldn't be involved at all...the drive should do everything in
    > hardware, but that's another issue.

    Why? If the OS has more information than the hardware, it might as well be
    put to good use. It would be great if the hardware could automagically divine
    the best course of action, but that's asking a lot given how little
    information it has to work off of.

    I'm not saying the OS would have to completely manage the cache - the hardware
    could do a lot of the grunt work, but for best performance, the OS would need
    to at least supply hints about the operating environment.

    Another point for performance is write reordering. AFAIK, a standard RAM
    cache cannot reorder writes, because if something were to go wrong, you would
    have nonsense data (instead of good data that was just cut off). In the case
    of a flash cache, the writes must be made to the cache in sequential order,
    however they could be flushed to the disk in any arbitrary order, allowing the
    hardware to optimize the amount of seeking it has to do.

    Ken

    >> In the
    >> case
    >> of a flash cache, the writes must be made to the cache in sequential order,
    >> however they could be flushed to the disk in any arbitrary order, allowing
    >> the
    >> hardware to optimize the amount of seeking it has to do.
    >
    > That seems to be something the hard drive can do, too. NCQ SATA drives and
    > SCSI drives have been re-ordering writes for a while now, and the OS
    > doesn't need to know about it.

    I've heard of reordering reads but not reordering writes. Perhaps this is
    happening today, but I don't know how they would do it without risking serious
    corruption in the face of a fault. The drive would have to keep a backup
    power supply long enough to let it flush enough writes to achieve a coherent
    (if incomplete) state before it turned off. (I guess drives already do keep a
    little bit of spare power on hand so they can park the heads if there is a
    surprise loss of power, but it would take a lot more power to let the drive
    keep writing for a period of time.

    Ken

    Ken Alverson (USENET.Ken@Alverson.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > I've heard of reordering reads but not reordering writes. Perhaps this is
    > happening today, but I don't know how they would do it without risking serious
    > corruption in the face of a fault.

    It's not really a serious issue.

    If the head is moving from track 0 to track 1000 (where it has a pending
    write), if the drive gets a write command for track 500 before the head
    reaches there, it's not that much time to stop at 500 and write and then
    move on. Depending on the actual seek stats, the two writes might actually
    complete faster than if you do them in the order they came in.

    Another reason it's not an issue is the OS does *not* get a "that data
    has really been flushed to disk" until it really has. So, the chances of
    corrupting data are the same as without re-ordering the writes. Since this
    isn't a "delayed write" scenario (the writes take place in order unless it
    would be faster to do it out of order), it shouldn't make any difference.

    It might make a small difference for some database apps, but generally it
    won't lead to corruption that can't be fixed...it will only cause the last
    couple of writes to be bad, which is exactly what would happen with any
    command queueing system when the power fails.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/TractorBeam.jpg

Ptv Tivo Flash Memory Power Hard Drives Product