TiVo is 50 feet from the PC.....

The max USB cable length I can find is 20 feet. there are 12'
extensions, but
what would happened if I were to splice several cables by hand?
Make it 60 feet. I want to be able to hook tivo up to my PC just for
the updates, and eliminate my land line totally.

Would this work? Why couldnt Tivo have used a 1 gig eithernet bus
instead?

Thanks

Dano
13 answers Last reply
More about tivo feet

    babs@earlylink.com wrote:
    > The max USB cable length I can find is 20 feet. there are 12'
    > extensions, but
    > what would happened if I were to splice several cables by hand?
    > Make it 60 feet.

    Maximum USB cable length is 15' due to power and attenuation limits.
    Splicing several together would only yield a non-functional cable. If
    you really need a long USB cable you have to look for "Active" cables,
    which are out there in up to 20' lengths, but *those* you can daisy
    chain together.

    > I want to be able to hook tivo up to my PC just for
    > the updates, and eliminate my land line totally.
    >
    > Would this work?

    No. You need to connect via Ethernet and a USB/Ethernet adapter (or use
    wireless and a USB/Wireless adapter), Tivo doesn't support a direct USB
    connection.

    > Why couldnt Tivo have used a 1 gig eithernet bus
    > instead?

    As someone else has pointed out, GigE is still not cheap. Arguments
    have been raised as to why USB was used rather than 10/100 Ethernet,
    mostly revolving around flexibility (allowing for other uses in the
    future) and cost, but no one knows the answer for sure here.

    Randy S.

    In article <g3p66197t0pbnvnfs7j20ftkrhlvtuqc5o@4ax.com>, babs@earlylink.com wrote:
    > The max USB cable length I can find is 20 feet. there are 12'
    > extensions, but
    > what would happened if I were to splice several cables by hand?
    > Make it 60 feet. I want to be able to hook tivo up to my PC just for
    > the updates, and eliminate my land line totally.

    You should use a USB ethernet solution. Plug the USB ethernet device into
    the TiVo, string some CAT5 cable over to near your PC and plug it into a
    hub attached to your broadband device.

    > Would this work? Why couldnt Tivo have used a 1 gig eithernet bus
    > instead?

    I don't think you can connect your TiVo to your PC via just a USB cable.
    You have to go through TCP/IP (or serial but that's really a different
    topic altogether).

    TiVo could have used a 1GB ethernet port but it would have added more cost
    and it wouldn't improve the transfer speed (the speed being limited by the
    CPU in doing the encryption of the data stream). Now, a 10/100 port would
    have been cheaper and potentially easier for users to deal with, but
    whatever.

    On 2005-04-18 03:46:40 -0400, babs@earlylink.com said:

    > The max USB cable length I can find is 20 feet. there are 12'
    > extensions, but what would happened if I were to splice several cables by hand?
    > Make it 60 feet. I want to be able to hook tivo up to my PC just for
    > the updates, and eliminate my land line totally.
    >
    > Would this work? Why couldnt Tivo have used a 1 gig eithernet bus instead?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dano

    One solution is to get a USB wireless receiver and hook it to your
    Tivo. You will have to add a wireless router to your broadband
    internet service but they are very cheap now.

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:26:50 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <g3p66197t0pbnvnfs7j20ftkrhlvtuqc5o@4ax.com>, babs@earlylink.com wrote:
    >> The max USB cable length I can find is 20 feet. there are 12'
    >> extensions, but
    >> what would happened if I were to splice several cables by hand?

    Thanks for all your help. You guys are great!

    Now then, is there a place/faq that takes you step by step
    on how to set it all up?

    I looked on the Tivo community site, but its single topics. Cant find
    a step-by-step overall how to set it up.

    Again, all I really need it to do is the daily callup thru internet
    instead of the (soon to be gone) land line. This is the way to go,
    right?

    thanks again....

    Dano

    > Thanks for all your help. You guys are great!

    Glad we could get you headed in the right direction.

    > Now then, is there a place/faq that takes you step by step
    > on how to set it all up?
    >
    > I looked on the Tivo community site, but its single topics. Cant find
    > a step-by-step overall how to set it up.

    Hmm, actually I thought these pages were pretty good for step-by-step:

    wireless: http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2008.htm?

    wired:
    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2009.htm?

    (the links on the page will take you to related topics like what
    adapters are compatible and troubleshooting)

    > Again, all I really need it to do is the daily callup thru internet
    > instead of the (soon to be gone) land line. This is the way to go,
    > right?

    Yep, you've got it. It will also allow you to do Home media options
    (like playing music from your computer and viewing photos), as well as
    Tivo-to-go. Also make sure to check out the JavaHMO application which
    will expand your capabilities to viewing weather, movie times, etc.

    If you run into any specific questions while you're setting up, please
    post, but I think you'll find it's not too tough. If you decide to go
    wireless, security is probably the most complex thing, but plenty of us
    here have lots of experience with that.

    Tivo's also recently released a software development kit and implemented
    an xml over http interface, so expect lots of neat new things to be
    available over the network as well within the next year or two.

    Randy S.

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:31:42 -0400, "Randy S."
    <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >> Thanks for all your help. You guys are great!
    Randy

    I hooked it up ok. Was ready for the addressing numbers, but the
    blasted thing figured out its settings all on its own. Talk about
    plug-n-play...

    Now on to all the software..

    Thanks again Randy

    > I hooked it up ok. Was ready for the addressing numbers, but the
    > blasted thing figured out its settings all on its own. Talk about
    > plug-n-play...
    >
    > Now on to all the software..
    >
    > Thanks again Randy

    Are you using wireless or wired? If wireless, that's not so good, it
    means your security is wide open. If wired, it's no big deal, I doubt a
    burgler is going to break into your house to use your network
    connection. ;-)

    Randy S.

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:28:47 -0400, "Randy S."
    <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >> I hooked it up ok. Was ready for the addressing numbers, but the
    >> blasted thing figured out its settings all on its own. Talk about
    >> plug-n-play...
    >>
    >> Now on to all the software..
    >>
    >> Thanks again Randy
    >>

    >Are you using wireless or wired? If wireless, that's not so good, it
    >means your security is wide open. If wired, it's no big deal, I doubt a
    >burgler is going to break into your house to use your network
    >connection. ;-)
    >
    >Randy S.

    No, it's wired. I've never really trusted wireless networks. Now I see
    I still have the old software in tivo. I put in for an upgrade (to
    7.1) on tivo's "get to the front of the line" form. It says this could
    be up to 3 days.... sound right to you?

    One last question. I used to put the tivo output to my pc capture card
    to edit and burn on dvd (for my use only). Would transferring "togo"
    the file and doing an unwrap be of any better quality?

    Dano

    > No, it's wired. I've never really trusted wireless networks. Now I see
    > I still have the old software in tivo. I put in for an upgrade (to
    > 7.1) on tivo's "get to the front of the line" form. It says this could
    > be up to 3 days.... sound right to you?

    I don't really know for certain, but I think I've heard from others on
    this group that it's getting pushed out pretty fast now (assuming you
    have an eligible box). Series 1 Tivos won't get it and neither will
    Tivo's with integrated DVD recorders (though the latter will eventually
    with a subsequent release).

    > One last question. I used to put the tivo output to my pc capture card
    > to edit and burn on dvd (for my use only). Would transferring "togo"
    > the file and doing an unwrap be of any better quality?

    Yes, the quality would be better because you're removing the
    digital-analog-digital conversion path. Be aware that TTG transfers are
    not quick right now, even over a high speed network, not because of
    network limitations but due to encryption problems. It's not a big deal
    if you don't burn shows to DVD that often and use some planning, just
    queue up the transfers several hours before you plan to burn them.

    You'll need the special Tivo version of Sonic's MyDVD to burn to DVD or
    you can look into an alternative (though more arcane) method to
    unencrypt the .tivo files.

    Or, (as someone is sure to point out!) you can hack your tivo to remove
    the encryption in the first place. Only go there if you're willing to
    crack open your Tivo.

    Randy S.

    > Be aware that TTG transfers are not quick right now, even over a high speed network, not because of
    > network limitations but due to encryption problems.

    Oops! I meant encryption limitations, not problems.

    Randy S.

    In article <h0ea6199lofq324dvibf6db7makmgpcp7c@4ax.com>,
    babs@earlylink.com wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:28:47 -0400, "Randy S."
    > <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >

    > >> I hooked it up ok. Was ready for the addressing numbers, but the
    > >> blasted thing figured out its settings all on its own. Talk about
    > >> plug-n-play...
    > >>
    > >> Now on to all the software..
    > >>
    > >> Thanks again Randy
    > >>

    > >Are you using wireless or wired? If wireless, that's not so good, it
    > >means your security is wide open. If wired, it's no big deal, I doubt a
    > >burgler is going to break into your house to use your network
    > >connection. ;-)
    > >
    > >Randy S.
    >
    > No, it's wired. I've never really trusted wireless networks. Now I see
    > I still have the old software in tivo. I put in for an upgrade (to
    > 7.1) on tivo's "get to the front of the line" form. It says this could
    > be up to 3 days.... sound right to you?
    >
    > One last question. I used to put the tivo output to my pc capture card
    > to edit and burn on dvd (for my use only). Would transferring "togo"
    > the file and doing an unwrap be of any better quality?

    yes

    Here in the United Kingdom a 50 foot USB extender cable can be bought from a
    major supplier to industry their URL is
    http://www.lindy.com/uk/catalog/07/02/03/index.php. Lindy are a well
    respected company and I doubt if they would sell anything that would not do
    the job ob.

    Clive

    <babs@earlylink.com> wrote in message
    > The max USB cable length I can find is 20 feet. there are 12'
    > extensions, but
    > what would happened if I were to splice several cables by hand?
    > Make it 60 feet. I want to be able to hook tivo up to my PC just for
    > the updates, and eliminate my land line totally.
    >
    > Would this work? Why couldnt Tivo have used a 1 gig eithernet bus
    > instead?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dano

    I have used the TTG for the past few days, the quality is what ever
    you record it in the first place.... I'm talking series 2 tivo here. I
    have mine hooked into my wireless network, and moving the programs
    over to my computer really takes no longer than downloading them... I
    have never been a big fan on sonics products but I must say, I am
    impressed with their special edition for tivo. they make it really
    easy to convert and burn the programs, I just have the demo for now,
    but I plan to buy the program. I am so used to waiting for someone to
    post what I want to a newsgroup, downloading it, hoping its good
    quality, then having to use two or three programs to convert and burn
    the program, it is nice just to use the TTG and Sonics MY DVD... its
    kinda sweet.

    I love my series 2 tivo and TTG....

    Just MHO

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:37:41 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <h0ea6199lofq324dvibf6db7makmgpcp7c@4ax.com>,
    > babs@earlylink.com wrote:

    >> >Are you using wireless or wired? If wireless, that's not so good, it
    >> >means your security is wide open. If wired, it's no big deal, I doubt a
    >> >burgler is going to break into your house to use your network
    >> >connection. ;-)
    >> >
    >> >Randy S.
    >>
    >> No, it's wired. I've never really trusted wireless networks. Now I see
    >> I still have the old software in tivo. I put in for an upgrade (to
    >> 7.1) on tivo's "get to the front of the line" form. It says this could
    >> be up to 3 days.... sound right to you?
    >>
    >> One last question. I used to put the tivo output to my pc capture card
    >> to edit and burn on dvd (for my use only). Would transferring "togo"
    >> the file and doing an unwrap be of any better quality?
    >
    >yes

Ptv Tivo Tivo Cable