Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No PC after CMOS battery change.

Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
July 31, 2014 11:58:06 AM

Hello all

Just registered this evening after an 'event'. For some weeks now my PC clock has been running slow. Figured it could be the CMOS battery. On boot this evening if flashed up an error 'CMOS checksum error' I changed the battery and now no Vista boot up. Cannot find operating system so don't think it can find my SATA Raid drives.

Looking for some help to try and fix this. I'm not very good when it comes to fiddling with BIOS/CMOS etc.

If you need any information to help me out please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

More about : cmos battery change

July 31, 2014 12:09:59 PM

gazz_66 said:
Hello all

Just registered this evening after an 'event'. For some weeks now my PC clock has been running slow. Figured it could be the CMOS battery. On boot this evening if flashed up an error 'CMOS checksum error' I changed the battery and now no Vista boot up. Cannot find operating system so don't think it can find my SATA Raid drives.

Looking for some help to try and fix this. I'm not very good when it comes to fiddling with BIOS/CMOS etc.

If you need any information to help me out please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

When you removed the battery, it likely cleared out the settings in your bios and returned them to default. You will need to get your manual and restore the previous configuration. (raid, boot order etc)
m
l
July 31, 2014 12:22:12 PM

Hello drkatz42

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this, it was a built to spec PC. I hate tinkering.
I do have an nForce 680i SLI Mainboard user manual and has some of that stuff in it. Ain't got a clue on this raid stuff.

Thanks

Gary
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2014 1:00:51 PM

Hi

Did you disconnect from mains power when changing battery ?

Have you tried the reset cmos jumper (again with mains power disconnected)
Try to get into BIOS
(read user guide)

if you do get in to BIOS (UEFIBIOS)
find load defaults option

check date & time is correct
Windows does not like corrupt clock chip
(Also strange things happen on Internet if time is several years ago)

If more than one hard disk check which one is treated as boot device

regards
Mike Barnes
m
l
July 31, 2014 1:03:11 PM

mbarnes86 said:
Hi

Did you disconnect from mains power when changing battery ?

Have you tried the reset cmos jumper (again with mains power disconnected)
Try to get into BIOS
(read user guide)

if you do get in to BIOS (UEFIBIOS)
find load defaults option

check date & time is correct
Windows does not like corrupt clock chip
(Also strange things happen on Internet if time is several years ago)

If more than one hard disk check which one is treated as boot device

regards
Mike Barnes

m
l
July 31, 2014 1:09:08 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response.

Not tried resetting the jumper but I can get into the BIOS and was able to change date and time and all seems ok.
Just not really sure what to do or try first. As I said previously, Raid was set up originally but is says 'disabled' not. Manual says something like 'If RAID is set to disabled all SATA functions are set to disabled'

When it says 'Boot from Windows DVD it then starts a Windows set up'

A little late in the evening now but thanks for responding so far. Will review tomorrow.

Best regards

Gary
m
l

Best solution

July 31, 2014 3:57:56 PM

I know youre new to the bios settings etc but youre going to need to get acquainted. Since it sounds like your drives are set into a raid array(likely striping for performance) you will need to enable this function in the bios. Once enabled(if memory serves), after rebooting and passing the initial bios screen, there should be the option to enter the setup for raid. Hopefully, once you enable raid in the bios, the raid setup will automatically recognize the array(do not have it create an array as this will cause you to lose all of your data). If the array is recognized, leave it alone and reboot. During the reboot, enter the bios and go to boot order, select the raid array first. Save your settings and reboot. The particulars of this can be slightly different for each chipset, MB etc. GOOD LUCK!
August 1, 2014 4:16:06 AM

drkatz42

Thanks again. Will definitely try that out.

PC is 7 years old now and purchased from Beast Computers in the UK. A great machine and I suppose all good things come to an end at some point. Was going to try their forums but they don't seem to be available any longer.

It's about time for an updated PC me thinks.

I'll update the thread as soon as I have got past my 'BIOS virginity' :) 

Best regards

Gary
m
l
August 1, 2014 5:21:05 AM

drkatz42

You're pretty cool aren't you........did what you said and all seems to have booted perfectly!
Once RAID enabled along with drives all detected. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Probably still time for a new PC but now I am able to access the 'pensioner' to do what I need to do.

What I have learned this past few days.........if you think your PC CMOS battery is low, get it replaced!

Thanks again mate for responding.

Hope you have a great weekend whatever you are planning to do.

Take care.

Gary
m
l
August 1, 2014 2:49:04 PM

gazz_66 said:
drkatz42

You're pretty cool aren't you........did what you said and all seems to have booted perfectly!
Once RAID enabled along with drives all detected. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Probably still time for a new PC but now I am able to access the 'pensioner' to do what I need to do.

What I have learned this past few days.........if you think your PC CMOS battery is low, get it replaced!

Thanks again mate for responding.

Hope you have a great weekend whatever you are planning to do.

Take care.

Gary

Glad I could assist you Gary.
D
m
l
August 2, 2014 5:16:49 AM

Good afternoon

PC still booting up which is good, I'm happy.

One thing I have now noticed is that an additional fan I have inside seems to rotate at start up then after about 5 seconds it slows and stops.
Fan at back of PC, graphics and CPU fan are all working normally.

Any idea that this could be?

Thanks in advance.

Gary
m
l
August 3, 2014 5:32:25 AM

See if your MB provides an additional fan connector and move the fan cable to test(likely the fan has just worn out)
m
l
August 12, 2014 12:55:38 AM

Thanks drkatz42

Apologies for the lateness in acknowledging.

I will look at this later. New PC has been ordered so my current one will be used as a back up for for fiddling about with.

Best regards

Gary
m
l
!