POLL: How many good games must a system have ????????

How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??

The reason I ask you this, is because I've been trying to "warm up" to
the Nintendo 64 (I bought two more systems today). I played RAT ATTACK
and WOW WHAT A GREAT GAME this is. VERY OLD SCHOOL in much the same way
that FLICKY was!

Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:

The "Crusin'" series
MACE
Rat Attack

That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?
33 answers Last reply
More about poll good games system

    In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

    > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??

    One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.

    jt
    - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote in news:starsabre-748FC1.23584118042005
    @netnews.worldnet.att.net:

    > In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >> How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
    >
    > One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.
    >
    > jt
    > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

    ICO?
    God of War?
    Katamari Damacy?

    Or are you talking about an IBM PC with a ps/2 port? :D

    I personally only buy systems if the system is cheap, if there is one
    absolutely fantastic game, or if there are 5 or so very good games. Even if
    no single colecovision game really catches my eye, I own the system because
    it only cost me $20. I own a NUON because Tempest 3000 is absolutely
    amazing. And I'm getting a ps2 because of God of War, Katamari Damacy, ICO,
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
    >
    > The "Crusin'" series
    > MACE
    > Rat Attack
    >
    > That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?

    Yes, MACE.. perhaps one of the best fighting games ever. Second only to
    possibly Kasumi Ninja or perhaps War Gods.

    And it still surprises me how deep the Cruisin' series is. They're the
    type of games that you can literally play for YEARS and never truly
    master them. To this day I don't understand why games like GT4 and such
    get so much attention when far superior games such as Cruisin' World
    got such little fanfare.

    You've managed to list what I believe is in every N64ers 'must have'
    collection. Even though there was the odd bomb like those bad movie
    ports (Superman and Goldeneye) there were some real gems like Rat
    Attack. I really pity all the people who skipped the N64 in favor of
    PS2s or DCs. They didn't know what they were missing!

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message
    > In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
    >
    > One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.

    I agree--with a corollary. For me to purchase a modern system, there has to
    be at least one good game AND the confirmation (not just promises) of more
    good games on the way.

    > jt
    > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

    I love it how people (especially classic gaming enthusiasts) repeat this
    claim like a mantra. Not to single you out, jt, but I think you're the
    third or fourth person to say this recently on r.g.v.c....and I just don't
    believe it.

    If you like classic games, there are numerous remakes and even exact
    emulated versions of your old favorites. With just five $19
    games--Activision Anthology, Atari Anthology, Namco Museum, and Midway's
    Arcade Treasures 1 and 2--you could own a lion's share of classic
    videogames. If you like what everyone else likes, there are plenty of
    cross-platform titles and fun (if unoriginal) games. If you want something
    new and unusual,there are plenty of games--Amplitude, Cookies & Cream,
    Frequency, Dogs Life, ICO, Katamari Damacy, Rez, Karaoke Revolution,
    Metropolismania, Siren, Stretch Panic, Technicbeat, Mark of Kri, Gitaroo
    Man, Mister Mosquito, Eye Toy--that aren't like anything you've played
    before.

    There are more than enough reasons to own a PS2 (or a GameCube or an Xbox).
    Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, and Genesis fans should get over
    their irrational hatred of modern systems--all they are doing is missing out
    on a lot of great experiences. If they can't find a single game on the PS2
    that interests them, then: a) they aren't looking hard enough, b) they want
    to be "fashionable" by hating modern systems, and/or c) they no longer enjoy
    videogames in general.

    I'd suggest you post a list of your 10-20 favorite games, on any system, and
    I'm willing to bet that we can come up with a PS2 game that is similar (or
    even better) for almost all of them. Or name your favorite genre, and we
    can come up with a bunch of PS2 titles that are probably the best examples
    of that genre.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    In article <starsabre-748FC1.23584118042005@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
    jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote:
    >- still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

    For me, that'd be, uh, GTA [III | VC | SA], Katamari Damacy, and now,
    embarassingly, Lego Star Wars, which is repulsively cute but really
    really fun. Hmmm. Kinda like Katamari Damacy if you think about it.

    Adam
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august wrote:
    > In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
    >
    > One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.
    >
    > jt
    > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

    I think I understand what you're saying. If it has just ONE game that
    you like to play that is exclusive to the system, you can think of (the
    system) as a stand alone ARCADE machine, right?
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Dane L. Galden at at wrote:
    > I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
    want on
    > Gamecube.
    >
    > Dane.

    BWA HA HA... what the hell are you wasting time posting here for, Dane
    you should be a comedian LOL!
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
    > > Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
    > >
    > > The "Crusin'" series
    > > MACE
    > > Rat Attack
    > >
    > > That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?
    >
    > Yes, MACE.. perhaps one of the best fighting games ever. Second only
    > possibly Kasumi Ninja or perhaps War Gods.

    I have a MACE arcade machine close to my house, so I play both. Kasumi
    Ninja is great but the control could be better don't you think?

    > And it still surprises me how deep the Cruisin' series is. They're
    the
    > type of games that you can literally play for YEARS and never truly
    > master them. To this day I don't understand why games like GT4 and
    such
    > get so much attention when far superior games such as Cruisin' World
    > got such little fanfare.

    Sadly, it's because the PS2 is so popular. Had GT4 come out on Xbox,
    the numbers just wouldn't be there :(

    > You've managed to list what I believe is in every N64ers 'must have'
    > collection. Even though there was the odd bomb like those bad movie
    > ports (Superman and Goldeneye) there were some real gems like Rat
    > Attack. I really pity all the people who skipped the N64 in favor of
    > PS2s or DCs. They didn't know what they were missing!

    Well I'm picking up N64's left and right from the thrifts, so at the
    price now, there's not really an excuse not to have one. I'm just now
    finding some games that I can really bond with. I have like over 60
    games I think though.. just haven't played them all.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I want on
    Gamecube. I'll get a PS2 when I find one for cheap. :)

    Dane.

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > "jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message
    > > In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > > "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
    > >
    > > One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.
    >
    > I agree--with a corollary. For me to purchase a modern system, there has
    > be at least one good game AND the confirmation (not just promises) of more
    > good games on the way.
    >
    > > jt
    > > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.
    >
    > I love it how people (especially classic gaming enthusiasts) repeat this
    > claim like a mantra. Not to single you out, jt, but I think you're the
    > third or fourth person to say this recently on r.g.v.c....and I just don't
    > believe it.
    >
    > If you like classic games, there are numerous remakes and even exact
    > emulated versions of your old favorites. With just five $19
    > games--Activision Anthology, Atari Anthology, Namco Museum, and Midway's
    > Arcade Treasures 1 and 2--you could own a lion's share of classic
    > videogames. If you like what everyone else likes, there are plenty of
    > cross-platform titles and fun (if unoriginal) games. If you want
    something
    > new and unusual,there are plenty of games--Amplitude, Cookies & Cream,
    > Frequency, Dogs Life, ICO, Katamari Damacy, Rez, Karaoke Revolution,
    > Metropolismania, Siren, Stretch Panic, Technicbeat, Mark of Kri, Gitaroo
    > Man, Mister Mosquito, Eye Toy--that aren't like anything you've played
    > before.
    >
    > There are more than enough reasons to own a PS2 (or a GameCube or an
    Xbox).
    > Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, and Genesis fans should get over
    > their irrational hatred of modern systems--all they are doing is missing
    out
    > on a lot of great experiences. If they can't find a single game on the PS2
    > that interests them, then: a) they aren't looking hard enough, b) they
    want
    > to be "fashionable" by hating modern systems, and/or c) they no longer
    enjoy
    > videogames in general.
    >
    > I'd suggest you post a list of your 10-20 favorite games, on any system,
    and
    > I'm willing to bet that we can come up with a PS2 game that is similar (or
    > even better) for almost all of them. Or name your favorite genre, and we
    > can come up with a bunch of PS2 titles that are probably the best examples
    > of that genre.

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    In article <fNOdnRwudrZo1vjfRVn-uA@comcast.com>,
    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

    > > jt
    > > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.
    >
    > I love it how people (especially classic gaming enthusiasts) repeat this
    > claim like a mantra. Not to single you out, jt, but I think you're the
    > third or fourth person to say this recently on r.g.v.c....and I just don't
    > believe it.
    >
    > If you like classic games, there are numerous remakes and even exact
    > emulated versions of your old favorites. With just five $19
    > games--Activision Anthology, Atari Anthology, Namco Museum, and Midway's
    > Arcade Treasures 1 and 2--you could own a lion's share of classic
    > videogames. If you like what everyone else likes, there are plenty of
    > cross-platform titles and fun (if unoriginal) games. If you want something
    > new and unusual,there are plenty of games--Amplitude, Cookies & Cream,
    > Frequency, Dogs Life, ICO, Katamari Damacy, Rez, Karaoke Revolution,
    > Metropolismania, Siren, Stretch Panic, Technicbeat, Mark of Kri, Gitaroo
    > Man, Mister Mosquito, Eye Toy--that aren't like anything you've played
    > before.
    >
    > There are more than enough reasons to own a PS2 (or a GameCube or an Xbox).

    I guess you are not so familiar with me. I have systems up through and
    including the Game Cube, and the X-Box is my targeted next console. I
    have - I believe - every handheld system up through the first gen
    Gameboy Advance (including the Supervision).

    Since I do have the GC and will soon get an XB, I need a ps/2 only title
    worthy enough to justify risking the high lemon mortality rate the ps/2
    is reknown for. I, specifically, do not hate the contemporary systems.
    I am a video game collector, past, present and proto. I just don't
    trust the track record of the ps/2 hardware.

    jt
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    The Space Boss wrote:
    > How many good games must a system have to make it worth
    > owning??
    >
    > The reason I ask you this, is because I've been trying to "warm
    > up" to the Nintendo 64 (I bought two more systems today). I
    > played RAT ATTACK and WOW WHAT A GREAT GAME this is. VERY OLD
    > SCHOOL in much the same way that FLICKY was!

    Is it really? I fired that up on Xbox through emulation the other
    day. The first few levels seemed a bit tedious. Does it get better?

    > Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
    >
    > The "Crusin'" series MACE Rat Attack
    >
    > That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?

    Oh, man, N64 has some legendary games:

    Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark
    Conker: BFD
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Pokemon Puzzle League
    Mario Tennis
    Mario64
    Turok
    Zelda: OoT

    --crymad
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august wrote:

    > jt - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

    Siren. Even though it's terribly flawed and requires a walkthru
    to complete, Siren thrilled me.

    --crymad
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august wrote:
    > Since I do have the GC and will soon get an XB, I need a ps/2
    > only title worthy enough to justify risking the high lemon
    > mortality rate the ps/2 is reknown for. I, specifically, do
    > not hate the contemporary systems. I am a video game collector,
    > past, present and proto. I just don't trust the track record
    > of the ps/2 hardware.

    Don't let the shoddy construction of PS2's dissuade you from
    acquiring one. Even if the unit eventually gives out and you get
    Disc Read Errors, Sony is obligated to repair them. The only cost
    you'll incur is shipping it to Sony, about $10. You don't need a
    receipt. You don't need to be under warranty. You don't have to
    be the original owner. Your PS2 doesn't even need to bear the "Do
    Not Remove" tamper-detection sticker on the underside. This is
    the real deal -- I did my nephew's, and it took about 2 weeks
    total. There's an faq on the process at gamefaqs.com for those
    interested, under the PS2 hardware section.

    --crymad
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > I have a MACE arcade machine close to my house, so I play both.
    Kasumi
    > Ninja is great but the control could be better don't you think?

    I don't know, although I think it lacks the response of say .. Ultra
    Vortek, Kasumi has a very tight control scheme. I think the controls
    were part of the overall design to force you to 'master' the characters
    and game thus making you a better player. I heard of a Kasumi Ninja
    club somewhere once, where the better players had logged something like
    50 hours with each character to really get any depth with them.

    Oh and you're lucky to have a MACE so close! My favorite fighter --
    capcoms excellent Star Gladiator -- is at a 7-11 down the street from
    me. I think i've put enough coin in that to pay for it by now!

    > > And it still surprises me how deep the Cruisin' series is. They're
    > the
    > > type of games that you can literally play for YEARS and never truly
    > > master them. To this day I don't understand why games like GT4 and
    > such
    > > get so much attention when far superior games such as Cruisin'
    World
    > > got such little fanfare.
    >
    > Sadly, it's because the PS2 is so popular. Had GT4 come out on Xbox,
    > the numbers just wouldn't be there :(

    You're probably right. With an installed base about 5% of what the 3DO
    had, it amazes me why anyone bothers with the XBOX at all. With those
    big controllers and all.. but I guess it has its fan. Of course people
    will buy anything on the PS2, just look at how many copies they MGS3
    they're going to sell -- that game is nowhere near as good as the
    original Metal Gear from the N.E.S. I wonder why they didn't put the
    original Metal Gear out in the arcades as is? With a printer you could
    have printed out passwords, they'd have made a fortune!

    > Well I'm picking up N64's left and right from the thrifts, so at the
    > price now, there's not really an excuse not to have one. I'm just now
    > finding some games that I can really bond with. I have like over 60
    > games I think though.. just haven't played them all.

    Don't forget about a couple of other gems, like Hexxen (Best FPS on the
    system), Bio-Freaks or one of my all time favorites -- The Army Men
    series. Especially Sarge's Heros 2.. that's like my favorite game of
    the 90s!

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august wrote:
    > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

    Good lord, how could I have forgotten to mention this:

    Klonoa: Lunatea's Veil -- platform puzzling in a fantasy
    dreamscape that will mesmerize you.

    Might as well add PS1's Klonoa: Door to Phantomile to that list
    too, as it can be played on PS2. If I must say, it's the better
    game of the two.

    Looking forward to playing Klonoa: Empire of Dreams for GBA, via
    emulation on Xbox, of course. Praise the mod scene!

    --crymad
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in

    > I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
    > want on Gamecube. I'll get a PS2 when I find one for cheap. :)

    I'm a little like that. If a game exists on more than one system,
    I buy it on GameCube if all else is equal. Otherwise, I'll buy it
    on X-Box. PS2 is my last resort, though I don't snub the system by any
    stretch.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in

    > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
    >
    > The reason I ask you this, is because I've been trying to "warm up" to
    > the Nintendo 64 (I bought two more systems today). I played RAT ATTACK
    > and WOW WHAT A GREAT GAME this is. VERY OLD SCHOOL in much the same way
    > that FLICKY was!
    >
    > Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
    >
    > The "Crusin'" series
    > MACE
    > Rat Attack
    >
    > That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?

    Generally, I go by the "one game that justifies the cost of the system"
    criteria. I was willing to pay $200 to play Zelda: OOT the day it came
    out, though I knew that I'd be buying GoldenEye shortly thereafter. OTOH,
    I'll also consider buying a system if there are a lot of "pretty good"
    games and it's cheap enough.

    With game systems, new or old, being under $200, I don't quibble over
    justifying the purchase. If there's a game, it's worth buying a system
    for.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in message

    > Dane L. Galden at at wrote:
    > > I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
    > want on
    > > Gamecube.
    > >
    > > Dane.
    > >

    > BWA HA HA... what the hell are you wasting time posting here for, Dane
    > you should be a comedian LOL!

    This from a guy who thinks MACE is a good fighting game?! Ha, ha. That's
    one of the few games I actually traded in to get something else--and I
    bought it for $3 at the flea market.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in
    >
    > > I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
    > > want on Gamecube. I'll get a PS2 when I find one for cheap. :)
    >
    > I'm a little like that. If a game exists on more than one system,
    > I buy it on GameCube if all else is equal. Otherwise, I'll buy it
    > on X-Box. PS2 is my last resort, though I don't snub the system by
    any
    > stretch.

    I sometimes buy games for all three systems if I can get them used, IE:
    I bought SOUL CALIBUR II for PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. There is
    virtually no difference graphically between the PS2 and Xbox versions -
    maybe with the exception of in the library, you can see the books just
    a little clearer on the Xbox, but that's IT.

    Right now in my gameroom downstairs I have been running the SNES and
    Genesis side by side.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Was the N64 version of MACE "arcade perfect"?
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    I'd say its close enough! I can't tell the difference!

    What a great game!

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > Even though there was the odd bomb like those bad movie
    > ports (Superman and Goldeneye)

    GoldenEye rocks and I assume you're posting in sarcasm.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > Well I'm picking up N64's left and right from the thrifts, so at the
    > price now, there's not really an excuse not to have one. I'm just now
    > finding some games that I can really bond with. I have like over 60
    > games I think though.. just haven't played them all.

    Conker's Bad Fur day is a GREAT game. And another Rare game called Jetforce
    Gemini looks to have great promise, though I have only played the first
    level. You can't go wrong with the Zelda games either.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    In article <1113973922.540719.27970@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

    > I think I understand what you're saying. If it has just ONE game that
    > you like to play that is exclusive to the system, you can think of (the
    > system) as a stand alone ARCADE machine, right?

    Maybe because I am tired, but that doesn't make sense. The reason I
    don't go for a ps/2 is because I don't trust the hardware. There as
    several good games, a few of which are Sony exclusives, but as I
    previously posted, I have concerns about the longevity of the hardware.

    jt
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    i own for the ps2 (thats all i got):
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    25 to Life
    Activision Anthology
    Alien Hominid
    Armored Core 2
    Armored Core 2: Another Age
    Armored Core 3
    Armored Core: Nexus (2 disc game)
    all of the devil may cry games
    SOUL CALIBUR II
    blade 2
    blood omen 1&2
    all ps2 gundam games
    half life
    god of war
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    all new ea games
    AND MANY MORE BUT I CANT LOOK FOR ALL OF THEM (too LAZY)
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august wrote:
    The reason I
    > don't go for a ps/2 is because I don't trust the hardware. There as
    > several good games, a few of which are Sony exclusives, but as I
    > previously posted, I have concerns about the longevity of the
    hardware.

    > jt

    JT, the answer to your problem is a simple one: purchase your PS2
    at BEST BUY - and get the "warranty" they offer. If ANYTHING goes wrong
    with your PS2, you just take it back to the store and they give you a
    brand new one, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO HASSLES. I can vouch for them.
    In fact, I purchased mine in late 2001 when it was still $299. By
    the time I had problems with it reading DVD's (it was my only DVD
    player for a long time), the price had dropped to $199 - SO... the way
    they have it set up is that they give you a REFUND for your system, and
    then charge you for a NEW one. That meant that I got $100 store credit,
    AND a brand new playstation 2(which still works flawlessly all these
    years later).

    In fact, I don't think I'd ever buy a game system anyplace else but
    Best Buy - you have TRUE PEACE OF MIND with that warranty let me tell
    ya........
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    In article <1114586571.722285.183670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

    > JT, the answer to your problem is a simple one: purchase your PS2
    > at BEST BUY - and get the "warranty" they offer. If ANYTHING goes wrong
    > with your PS2, you just take it back to the store and they give you a
    > brand new one, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO HASSLES. I can vouch for them.

    So, to protect myself from Sony's willfully malignant engineering, I
    need to spend more money up front?

    Let's see, I have 61 computers, 58 game consoles, 12 handheld systems,
    18 add-on systems (this is things line Sega CD and the 2600 adapters to
    my 5200 and CV, and 31 pong clones. I got all my systems except my
    first Sony psx, my SNES and my very first game, my O^2, used. The O^2
    and spx were Christmas gifts, and the SNES I got the first Christmas it
    was out for $108 due to a fluke local price war. But to protect me long
    term, I need to buy a ps/2 new so that I can in turn give Best Buy more
    money?

    And then this warranty runs out in two years, but with so many consoles,
    I don't use it enough to kill it for three years, by which time the p3
    will be out and Sony won't repair dead ps/2's anymore anyway.

    As a collector, I see this as a lose-lose scenario. I'll wait for the
    ps/2 II to prove its reliability before I consider it, and then I will
    acquire a working ps/2 Mk. I and - like my Sega CD1 - I will have it but
    use the newer model for practical purposes.

    jt
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    > jt august wrote:
    > The reason I
    >> don't go for a ps/2 is because I don't trust the hardware. There as
    >> several good games, a few of which are Sony exclusives, but as I
    >> previously posted, I have concerns about the longevity of the
    > hardware.
    >>
    >> jt
    >
    > JT, the answer to your problem is a simple one: purchase your PS2
    > at BEST BUY - and get the "warranty" they offer. If ANYTHING goes
    wrong
    > with your PS2, you just take it back to the store and they give you a
    > brand new one, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO HASSLES. I can vouch for them.
    > In fact, I purchased mine in late 2001 when it was still $299. By
    > the time I had problems with it reading DVD's (it was my only DVD
    > player for a long time), the price had dropped to $199 - SO... the way
    > they have it set up is that they give you a REFUND for your system,
    and
    > then charge you for a NEW one. That meant that I got $100 store
    credit,
    > AND a brand new playstation 2(which still works flawlessly all these
    > years later).
    >
    > In fact, I don't think I'd ever buy a game system anyplace else but
    > Best Buy - you have TRUE PEACE OF MIND with that warranty let me tell
    > ya........

    Space Boss and I agree about as often as Nintendo releases e-Reader
    cards, but in this case, I have to agree. Although, in my case, I do
    my shopping at Circuit City. The PS2 has such a poor track record that
    I didn't think twice about getting the CityAdvantage plan on it. A
    little more money, but it's worth it to not have to depend on Sony's
    support. I went down that path once, and I will never again purchase a
    Sony product without some form of vendor coverage. Even something as
    piddly as a Playstation.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    I assumed it was obvious, especially with the 'Kasumi Ninja is the best
    fighting game ever' bits, but alas.. I guess it wasn't.

    No, Mace wasn't very good either.

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august wrote:

    > So, to protect myself from Sony's willfully malignant engineering, I
    > need to spend more money up front?

    ANY system with MOVEABLE PARTS and a laser is going to break down
    eventually. It's the nature of the beast. Stop making excuses, if you
    don't want a PS2, then you don't want one. That's OK.

    > Let's see, I have 61 computers, 58 game consoles, 12 handheld
    systems,
    > 18 add-on systems (this is things line Sega CD and the 2600 adapters
    > my 5200 and CV, and 31 pong clones. I got all my systems except my
    > first Sony psx, my SNES and my very first game, my O^2, used. The
    O^2
    > and spx were Christmas gifts, and the SNES I got the first Christmas
    it
    > was out for $108 due to a fluke local price war.

    Where do you keep all this stuff? 61 computers? That sounds a bit
    eccentric to me.

    > And then this warranty runs out in two years, but with so many
    consoles,
    > I don't use it enough to kill it for three years, by which time the
    p3
    > will be out and Sony won't repair dead ps/2's anymore anyway.
    >
    > As a collector, I see this as a lose-lose scenario. I'll wait for
    the
    > ps/2 II to prove its reliability before I consider it, and then I
    will
    > acquire a working ps/2 Mk.

    I dunno... I don't think about all this stuff, I just pop in Tekken 5
    and let the good times roll!!
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    jt august wrote:

    > Ah, well that has more to do with how my hobby is currently taking
    me.
    > I have a nice, big basement, and am slowing working towards the video

    > playground.

    COOL! Sounds like what I am doing. What is the approximate sqare
    footage of your basement?

    There is a lard storage room, where I will install
    > compacted collection shelves.

    What is a "lard storage room"?

    > The other half of the basement is the utility room that will also be
    > fixed up as a second kitchen (I love to cook also).

    What is the total square footage of your home?

    > BTW: this house is not a ranch style. That was one mandate when I
    was
    > house shopping, no ranches. I needed the space.
    >
    > jt

    OK, when I don't know something, I'm just going to ask: what is a ranch
    style home? I've heard the term before but I really don't know what
    that means?
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    In article <1114667461.185306.270650@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

    > Where do you keep all this stuff? 61 computers? That sounds a bit
    > eccentric to me.

    Ah, well that has more to do with how my hobby is currently taking me.
    I have a nice, big basement, and am slowing working towards the video
    playground. There is a lard storage room, where I will install
    compacted collection shelves. These are shelves on tracks that can
    slide left and right to maximize space efficiency by only having one row
    at a time wide enough to walk in.

    In the main room, the front half will have two rows of couch seating and
    a custom coffee table to set up game consoles on, and the back half will
    be arranged for the computers. Many dups (most entries in the Atari
    8-bit family, the C=64 family, the Apple ][ family, etc) will be
    displayed on decorative shelves, as will up to three arcade games (one
    of which is a sit down Starrider LVD game from Williams).

    The other half of the basement is the utility room that will also be
    fixed up as a second kitchen (I love to cook also).

    BTW: this house is not a ranch style. That was one mandate when I was
    house shopping, no ranches. I needed the space.

    jt
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    In article <1114895679.204165.318050@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

    > There is a lard storage room, where I will install
    > > compacted collection shelves.
    >

    > What is a "lard storage room"?

    It is how you spell large when you are very tired.

    > > The other half of the basement is the utility room that will also be
    > > fixed up as a second kitchen (I love to cook also).
    >
    > What is the total square footage of your home?

    Listed as 2150, but this does not reflect the basement, which is just
    over 1600 by itself.

    > > BTW: this house is not a ranch style. That was one mandate when I
    > was
    > > house shopping, no ranches. I needed the space.
    > >
    > > jt
    >
    > OK, when I don't know something, I'm just going to ask: what is a ranch
    > style home? I've heard the term before but I really don't know what
    > that means?

    Ranch homes have all the bedrooms on the same floor as the living room
    kitchen and dinette/dining room. Split level ranches have the bedrooms
    up a half flight (6 to 8 foot rise) from the other rooms.

    Ranches can be on a slab (no basement) or a sunken foundation (which
    doesn't necessarily mean you have a basement).

    My house is a 1 1/2 story, meaning that upstairs bedrooms are built into
    the house's roof/attic area. In this case, the upstairs was built for
    two rooms, not that rooms were squeezed into the attic area.

    jt

Games World Of Warcraft Nintendo