Diirectv Tivo

Hi all i'm looking to get the directv with tivo i need to know if it can be
used with the broadband adapter Like the regular tivo uses. I don't have a
phoneline in my house so if it doesn't use it that would make it a waste of
time buying this product. Thanks a lot.
12 answers Last reply
More about diirectv tivo

    In article <1CNae.2785$yl6.1618115@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
    "Annika" <asau34nders5@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

    > Hi all i'm looking to get the directv with tivo i need to know if it can be
    > used with the broadband adapter Like the regular tivo uses. I don't have a
    > phoneline in my house so if it doesn't use it that would make it a waste of
    > time buying this product. Thanks a lot.

    Yes it requires a phoneline, unless you want to hack it.

    Annika wrote:
    > Hi all i'm looking to get the directv with tivo i need to know if it can be
    > used with the broadband adapter Like the regular tivo uses.

    No. Unless you hack your DirecTiVo, it cannot use the Internet.
    -Joe

    > In article <1CNae.2785$yl6.1618115@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
    > "Annika" <asau34nders5@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all i'm looking to get the directv with tivo i need to know if it can
    >> be
    >> used with the broadband adapter Like the regular tivo uses. I don't have
    >> phoneline in my house so if it doesn't use it that would make it a waste
    >> of
    >> time buying this product. Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Yes it requires a phoneline, unless you want to hack it.

    What's the usb port for on the back of it. It don't retrieve the guide and
    other stuff of it? Do you know if Directv will come out with a tivo box that
    can use the adapter?

    >>Yes it requires a phoneline, unless you want to hack it.
    >

    > What's the usb port for on the back of it. It don't retrieve the guide and
    > other stuff of it? Do you know if Directv will come out with a tivo box that
    > can use the adapter?

    Directv has decided not to enable those ports (by default, as has been
    pointed out, there are hacks to enable them). I wouldn't hold your
    breath waiting for them to do so, Directv has been much more
    conservative about advanced features than Tivo has been. They just
    recently released an update, but it only contained updates relating to
    some UI features such as folders.

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Yes it requires a phoneline, unless you want to hack it.
    >>

    >> What's the usb port for on the back of it. It don't retrieve the guide
    >> and other stuff of it? Do you know if Directv will come out with a tivo
    >> box that can use the adapter?
    >
    > Directv has decided not to enable those ports (by default, as has been
    > pointed out, there are hacks to enable them). I wouldn't hold your breath
    > waiting for them to do so, Directv has been much more conservative about
    > advanced features than Tivo has been. They just recently released an
    > update, but it only contained updates relating to some UI features such as
    > folders.
    >
    > Randy S.

    Okay that means i can't get it damn. We don't have a phone line everyone in
    the house has a mobile phone but thanks anyway for the help everyone.

    Annika :)

    > Okay that means i can't get it damn. We don't have a phone line everyone in
    > the house has a mobile phone but thanks anyway for the help everyone.
    >
    > Annika :)

    I'm in the same boat as you. It is possible to get around, but it is *a
    lot* of hassle (temporarily getting a phone line, or borrowing one, and
    hacking the OS, all with no guarantees and unsupported by Directv or
    Tivo). I just wish Directv would wake up and realize that this is going
    to be losing them a lot of customers soon. We know there's at least 2
    already ;-).

    >> Okay that means i can't get it damn. We don't have a phone line everyone
    >> in the house has a mobile phone but thanks anyway for the help everyone.
    >>

    > I'm in the same boat as you. It is possible to get around, but it is *a
    > lot* of hassle (temporarily getting a phone line, or borrowing one, and
    > hacking the OS, all with no guarantees and unsupported by Directv or
    > Tivo). I just wish Directv would wake up and realize that this is going
    > to be losing them a lot of customers soon. We know there's at least 2
    > already ;-).

    Why do you have to hack the OS? Yes, you need the phone line for the
    initial setup, but not at anytime after that that I've found.

    > Why do you have to hack the OS? Yes, you need the phone line for the
    > initial setup, but not at anytime after that that I've found.

    The Directivo will start to nag you about phoning in after a while. It would
    phone in every week if connected, update PPV, possibly install software
    upgrades, etc. A hacked dtivo can be fooled into thinking it has called in,
    nags will stop.

    "Rick S." <r51@mail.com> wrote in message

    >> Why do you have to hack the OS? Yes, you need the phone line for the
    >> initial setup, but not at anytime after that that I've found.
    >
    > The Directivo will start to nag you about phoning in after a while. It
    > would phone in every week if connected, update PPV, possibly install
    > software upgrades, etc. A hacked dtivo can be fooled into thinking it has
    > called in, nags will stop.

    OK, so it's more of a "nice to do" and not so much a "must do".

    In article <8Sjbe.717$6z3.515@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    "Rick S." <r51@mail.com> wrote:

    > > Why do you have to hack the OS? Yes, you need the phone line for the
    > > initial setup, but not at anytime after that that I've found.
    > >

    > The Directivo will start to nag you about phoning in after a while. It would
    > phone in every week if connected, update PPV, possibly install software
    > upgrades, etc. A hacked dtivo can be fooled into thinking it has called in,
    > nags will stop.

    However to set it up a virgin out of the Box DirecTiVo, one needs a
    wired phone connection, although some have done it at a neighbors.

    Jack Zwick wrote:
    > In article <8Sjbe.717$6z3.515@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    > "Rick S." <r51@mail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>Why do you have to hack the OS? Yes, you need the phone line for the
    >>>initial setup, but not at anytime after that that I've found.
    >>>

    >>The Directivo will start to nag you about phoning in after a while. It would
    >>phone in every week if connected, update PPV, possibly install software
    >>upgrades, etc. A hacked dtivo can be fooled into thinking it has called in,
    >>nags will stop.
    >

    > However to set it up a virgin out of the Box DirecTiVo, one needs a
    > wired phone connection, although some have done it at a neighbors.

    During the initial setup it has to be hooked up to the dish, right?
    That would be the trickier part to me, with my SA Tivo I just took it
    into work with me. I don't have near enough neighbors to string a line
    over. I guess I could try to find a friend or neighbor with Directv and
    set it up on their dish, but now it's starting to get convulated again.

    Randy S.

    I have this same problem, but I just use wireless phone jacks. Problem
    solved.

    > Jack Zwick wrote:

    > >>The Directivo will start to nag you about phoning in after a while. It
    would
    > >>phone in every week if connected, update PPV, possibly install software
    > >>upgrades, etc. A hacked dtivo can be fooled into thinking it has called
    in,
    > >>nags will stop.
    > >

    > > However to set it up a virgin out of the Box DirecTiVo, one needs a
    > > wired phone connection, although some have done it at a neighbors.
    >
    > During the initial setup it has to be hooked up to the dish, right?
    > That would be the trickier part to me, with my SA Tivo I just took it
    > into work with me. I don't have near enough neighbors to string a line
    > over. I guess I could try to find a friend or neighbor with Directv and
    > set it up on their dish, but now it's starting to get convulated again.
    >
    > Randy S.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Broadband Video