Need sinple instructions

I wonder if anyone can offer some SIMPLE instructions for setting up
video sharing.

1. how to set up the replay for a static IP address?

2. how to set up the port forwarding?

I want to use poopli, I have teh Replay 5040, Windows XP and a D-Link
524 wireless router. The Replay is plugged into the router with
ethernet cable.

right now I cannot send or receive!

Any help is appreciated!

Rob
9 answers Last reply
More about sinple instructions

    Poolshark1000 wrote:
    > I wonder if anyone can offer some SIMPLE instructions for setting up
    > video sharing.
    >
    > 1. how to set up the replay for a static IP address?

    Menu -> Setup -> Network and Input Settings -> Change Network

    Pick an address to use for the Replay, maybe 192.168.0.111

    Use these settings for the other values:

    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS1: 192.168.0.1
    DNS2: 64.124.73.106

    I don't have a D-Link router any more, but I assume it still
    uses 192.168.0.1 for the router's address.

    While you are in the setup menu you also need to go to

    Internet Identity and Address Book -> Change Internet Identity

    After you give your Replay a name you will have the opportunity to
    enter a port number to use for IVS. Choose a high number like 29000.

    > 2. how to set up the port forwarding?

    Since I don't have your router I can't tell you exactly, but look
    for Advanced Settings or maybe Gaming Settings.

    The Help page/manual should tell you how.

    Google is your friend. Try "d-link port forwarding".

    > I want to use poopli, I have teh Replay 5040, Windows XP and a D-Link
    > 524 wireless router. The Replay is plugged into the router with
    > ethernet cable.
    >
    > right now I cannot send or receive!
    >
    > Any help is appreciated!

    Good luck.
    --
    Bill Cochell (lose the _TUDE_ to reply directly)

    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart
    people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean
    it." --Mark Twain

    On 18 Apr 2005 05:58:12 -0700, "Poolshark1000"
    <poolshark1000@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I wonder if anyone can offer some SIMPLE instructions for setting up
    >video sharing.
    >
    >1. how to set up the replay for a static IP address?

    Read the manual. It tells you how. There's an option in the setup menu
    called "change network", then one called "change from automated to
    manual". There you enter the necessary information. IP should be
    different from any other on your network (usually, the 1st 3 numbers
    will be the same). For the other addresses, use trhe same numbers as
    on every other networked device.

    >2. how to set up the port forwarding?

    You need to forward the IVS port you set on the Replay (usually 29000)
    to the static IP you just set on the Replay. How to do this depends on
    your router. Read the instructions or explore it's menu (something I
    would usually have done in the 1st 5 minutes or so).

    >I want to use poopli, I have teh Replay 5040, Windows XP and a D-Link
    >524 wireless router. The Replay is plugged into the router with
    >ethernet cable.
    >
    >right now I cannot send or receive!

    A rather useless problem description. Try describing what you did and
    what happened.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    Poolshark1000 wrote:
    > OK, here is what I have going on......
    >
    > 1. I set the replay up to static address 192.168.0.110 but it still
    > shows up in my reouter's menu as 192.168.0.100 and yes, I have
    > re-booted everything to let it re-assign everything.

    If you are looking at the router's lan table, there should be a button
    that says "refresh" etc.

    > 2. I have chosen port 27000 since I saw that another application was
    > assigned to use 29000, I believe it was MSN gaming. I tried 29000
    > though!

    Go higher and use something easy to remember. My Replay 1 uses 40001,
    Replay 2 40002, etc

    For an IVS Name, use something to ID your unit easily. For example if
    you set up a Poopli user id of doggie, give the units IVS names of
    doggiertv1
    doggiertv2 etc

    leave the address as is. Subnet is 255.255.255.0
    Gateway is 192.168.0.1 (router)

    Go to your pc, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all
    you will see the info for your network card with gateway 192.168.0.1 and
    DNS servers of XX.XXX.XXX.XXX and XX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    Put these values in the Replay for DNS Servers.
    Save
    Reboot

    The Replay should be able to connect to Replay now.

    After this you have to set up your router for IVS. You have to set up a
    "rule" in the router (or "port forwarding") so that
    anything coming in on port 40001 goes to IP 192.168.0.110, etc

    If you go to Poopli.com the IVS tester should be able to find your
    Replay now.

    Then you set up your Poopli account and download the Poopli updater.

    On 18 Apr 2005 05:58:12 -0700, "Poolshark1000"
    <poolshark1000@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I wonder if anyone can offer some SIMPLE instructions for setting up
    >video sharing.

    The simplest would be to actually read the manuals, and don't be
    afraid to look around in the menu screens.

    >1. how to set up the replay for a static IP address?

    The Replay calls this "manual".

    Poolshark1000 wrote:
    > Poolshark1000 wrote:
    >
    >>I wonder if anyone can offer some SIMPLE instructions for setting up
    >>video sharing.
    >>
    >>1. how to set up the replay for a static IP address?
    >>
    >>2. how to set up the port forwarding?

    Ok Rod, I'm going to walk you through it with a D-Link router

    First, following the instructions in your REPLAY manual determine the
    MAC address of your replay, This requires you PING the replay from your
    computer and then type a command on the computer, do both of these in a
    COMMAND prompt

    To PING the replay you simply type something like this PING
    192.168.0.110 (This assumes 192....110 is the address of the replay)

    Hopefully the PING command completes quickly

    The next command you type in the COMMAND PROMPT window is ARP -A

    This will return the MAC address of the Replay You need this, write it
    down.

    Now, Open your browser and point it to 192.168.0.1 (the router)
    Enter your admin name and password (You must know the password, if you
    do not know the password visit your router's manual)

    I am going to assume, from the IP address you gave earlier, your router
    is a D-Link same as mine (I think you said it's a D-Link)

    On the first page there is a button labeled DCHP, Click on it, and when
    it loads Go down to the part called STATIC DCHP, Click on ENABLED
    In the next box type the name of your Replay, something like
    Livingroom-RTV (Need not be the same as the replay's internal name)
    Below that enter the IP address suffex you wish (I'm going to use 110)
    and click on APPLY, In a few seconds you will have static IP set up, now
    go to your Replay and refresh it's IP settings, you should see it's now 110.

    IF so, we move on to sept 2, PORT FORWARDING

    Back to the browser and go to the top of the page (press the HOME key)
    click on the tab marked ADVANCED.

    Click on ENABLED once again, in the first box type the name of your
    replay, (Same as on the DCHP page) and in the next it's private IP (Same
    as on the DCHP page but this time you have to type all 4 elements)
    In the next box choose BOTH and in the next two boxes type the port
    number you wish to forward, Same number in both boxes. Choose the
    "ALWAYS" radio button on the SCHEDULE part and once again APPLY

    When the screen returns you should see the list of virtual server lines
    has gotten longer by one,,,, that one being the one you just created,
    and it should be checked (We hope)

    If all this works go back to the top of the page, click on the router's
    TOOLS tab then on the SYSTEM button and save the router settings (This
    saves them to a file on your computer in case they get "lost") Backups
    are nice, if you don't do this step you will, some day, wish you had.
    Trust me, I've heard a lot of folks say "My _____ Has not crashed" and
    the best thing you can do when they say that is add "Yet".

    Next step is the fun one... Go to the IVS test site and test

    Good luck, let me know if you need more help. A private E_mail with
    your phone number and best time to call if all else fails (My local
    calling area is 49 states and a possession or two) I can be reached
    (at)arrl(dot)net and my user id is wa8yxm I hope you can figure it out

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:42:51 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Poolshark1000 wrote:
    >> Poolshark1000 wrote:
    >>
    >>>I wonder if anyone can offer some SIMPLE instructions for setting up
    >>>video sharing.
    >>>
    >>>1. how to set up the replay for a static IP address?
    >>>
    >>>2. how to set up the port forwarding?
    >
    >Ok Rod, I'm going to walk you through it with a D-Link router
    >
    >First, following the instructions in your REPLAY manual determine the
    >MAC address of your replay, This requires you PING the replay from your
    >computer and then type a command on the computer, do both of these in a
    >COMMAND prompt

    Or, just look in the "setup > system information > ethernet" section
    of the Replay menu. Seems a lot easier than that "PING / ARP" thing.

    >To PING the replay you simply type something like this PING
    >192.168.0.110 (This assumes 192....110 is the address of the replay)

    [snip]

    --

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > Or, just look in the "setup > system information > ethernet" section
    > of the Replay menu. Seems a lot easier than that "PING / ARP" thing.

    You are right but I was taking the instructions out of the manual, which
    assumes the unit is not yet activated and won't let you at the menu

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:56:28 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> Or, just look in the "setup > system information > ethernet" section
    >> of the Replay menu. Seems a lot easier than that "PING / ARP" thing.
    >>

    >You are right but I was taking the instructions out of the manual, which
    >assumes the unit is not yet activated and won't let you at the menu

    The unit IS activated during the "grace period" the unit comes with.
    You may never have to deal with an unactivated Replay.

    I never experienced that (non-activated Replay) until later, when I
    re-imaged the software. At that time I already had the DHCP and port
    forwarding set up.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx