should you leave receiver set for auto downloads?

I've notice in the AM the receiver has moved to G1 3 during the night. What
are the pro and cons if any.
4 answers Last reply
More about leave receiver set auto downloads
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    The receiver goes to the pre-set digital channel for updating the IPG
    (Interactive Program Guide).
    This feature is a convenience to get updated information for the
    guide.You can do it manually if you wish,but I have found if you do it
    manually on my receiver,you only will get a day's worth of listings at a
    time.When I use the auto-update feature,I get as much as 3 days worth
    and up to a week's worth of listings on my 920.his may be a minor "bug"
    on my receiver,I do not know.
    In any event,it is just a matter of personal choice.
    Of interest though,if you have a habit of forgetting to manually turn
    the dish for updates regularly,you may miss DC2 messages from the ACC
    (Access Control Center) and not get updated programming channel maps
    when they decide to add or change channel programming information.
    ,myself like the auto-update because I will generally not have to worry
    about missing it.This includes code downloads too (firmware changes)
    although it has been years since they have attempted this kind of
    change.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    thanks Sac.. that sure makes a lot of sense and I'll leave my auto on. At
    the lake I do have a problem, because of trees I can't get to G1. In the
    city no problem. My provided said G1 ...I can get to G5 and at this time of
    the season to G3 but not for long, the leaves will be out next weekend. Is
    there another satellite I can get the updates east of G3, would GO work ?
    I have a 3 foot pipe extension to add to the post which should correct the
    problem for a few more years. I have to find someone with a good pole wench
    to do the job. That an't easy . My total height will be 5 + 3 for 8 feet.
    any suggestions other then bull force, which I don't have. I thought a
    tripod with a wench in the centre attached to the dish harness would work. I
    can't get a tow truck in I'm on a side of a near mountain. The dish is in
    the only spot to get out so moving it is not an option. bye
    "SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > The receiver goes to the pre-set digital channel for updating the IPG
    > (Interactive Program Guide).
    > This feature is a convenience to get updated information for the
    > guide.You can do it manually if you wish,but I have found if you do it
    > manually on my receiver,you only will get a day's worth of listings at a
    > time.When I use the auto-update feature,I get as much as 3 days worth
    > and up to a week's worth of listings on my 920.his may be a minor "bug"
    > on my receiver,I do not know.
    > In any event,it is just a matter of personal choice.
    > Of interest though,if you have a habit of forgetting to manually turn
    > the dish for updates regularly,you may miss DC2 messages from the ACC
    > (Access Control Center) and not get updated programming channel maps
    > when they decide to add or change channel programming information.
    > ,myself like the auto-update because I will generally not have to worry
    > about missing it.This includes code downloads too (firmware changes)
    > although it has been years since they have attempted this kind of
    > change.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    Thanks Sac.. makes since to leave setting on auto download. I have a problem
    at the lake, I can only go west to G9, trees. Can I receive the updates on
    another satellite other then G1??
    "SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > The receiver goes to the pre-set digital channel for updating the IPG
    > (Interactive Program Guide).
    > This feature is a convenience to get updated information for the
    > guide.You can do it manually if you wish,but I have found if you do it
    > manually on my receiver,you only will get a day's worth of listings at a
    > time.When I use the auto-update feature,I get as much as 3 days worth
    > and up to a week's worth of listings on my 920.his may be a minor "bug"
    > on my receiver,I do not know.
    > In any event,it is just a matter of personal choice.
    > Of interest though,if you have a habit of forgetting to manually turn
    > the dish for updates regularly,you may miss DC2 messages from the ACC
    > (Access Control Center) and not get updated programming channel maps
    > when they decide to add or change channel programming information.
    > ,myself like the auto-update because I will generally not have to worry
    > about missing it.This includes code downloads too (firmware changes)
    > although it has been years since they have attempted this kind of
    > change.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.satellite.4dtv (More info?)

    As far as I know,the G1 satellite is the only place that IPG updating of
    data can occur.

4DTV Satellite Video