Series 1 Tivo

I have an old series 1 Tivo which works well at the moment. I am about to
upgrade the hard disk to give me more room to save programs. My question is
(I hope) simple. What format does Tivo save recorded programmes?
12 answers Last reply
More about series tivo

    In article <d48g07$jab$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,
    "clive" <tuesday@oxenwood.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    > I have an old series 1 Tivo which works well at the moment. I am about to
    > upgrade the hard disk to give me more room to save programs. My question is
    > (I hope) simple. What format does Tivo save recorded programmes?

    It's own proprietray, unqiue to TiVo format.

    On 2005-04-21, clive <tuesday@oxenwood.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
    > I have an old series 1 Tivo which works well at the moment. I am about to
    > upgrade the hard disk to give me more room to save programs. My question is
    > (I hope) simple. What format does Tivo save recorded programmes?

    For upgrading your hard disk, it doesn't matter what format TiVo saves its
    recorded programs in. To your hard disk, it's just a bunch of 0s and 1s.

    "clive" <tuesday@oxenwood.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
    >I have an old series 1 Tivo which works well at the moment. I am about to
    >upgrade the hard disk to give me more room to save programs. My question is
    >(I hope) simple. What format does Tivo save recorded programmes?

    In a custom proprietary database stored as a raw partition on the hard drive.
    Once you get through that, and the fragments stored in the DB, they
    are stored as MPEG2 480x480 streams. Audio and video seperate (so they
    aren't true MPEG2 system streams).

    Sounds like you probably want to read up quite a bit at
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/
    anticipating your next question.

    "clive" <tuesday@oxenwood.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have an old series 1 Tivo which works well at the moment. I am about to
    > upgrade the hard disk to give me more room to save programs. My question
    is
    > (I hope) simple. What format does Tivo save recorded programmes?

    Tivo uses a proprietary mpeg format, and also encrypts the files. However,
    if you're interested in video extraction to your computer, there is lots of
    free software out there to do it, and it's not particularly difficult.

    "Doug McIntyre" <merlyn@geeks.org> wrote in message
    > "clive" <tuesday@oxenwood.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
    > >I have an old series 1 Tivo which works well at the moment. I am about
    > >upgrade the hard disk to give me more room to save programs. My question
    is
    > >(I hope) simple. What format does Tivo save recorded programmes?
    >

    > In a custom proprietary database stored as a raw partition on the hard
    drive.

    I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under Linux. Was I
    wrong?

    > Once you get through that, and the fragments stored in the DB, they
    > are stored as MPEG2 480x480 streams. Audio and video seperate (so they
    > aren't true MPEG2 system streams).
    >
    > Sounds like you probably want to read up quite a bit at
    > http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/
    > anticipating your next question.

    > I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under Linux. Was I
    > wrong?

    As far as the where and how the show data is stored, yes, you are incorrect.

    Randy S.

    "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message

    > > I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under Linux.
    Was I
    > > wrong?
    >
    > As far as the where and how the show data is stored, yes, you are
    incorrect.

    Okay, thanks. I appreciate the clarification.

    PTravel wrote:
    > "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under Linux.
    >
    > Was I
    >
    >>>wrong?
    >>
    >>As far as the where and how the show data is stored, yes, you are
    >
    > incorrect.
    >
    > Okay, thanks. I appreciate the clarification.

    Understandable mistake. That fact does explain, though, why it's
    significantly harder to retain your old recordings when upgrading than not.

    Randy S.

    * PTravel Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under
    > Linux. Was I wrong?

    Yes, that is incorrect. There is more than one FS on the box I believe
    but FAT16 is not one of them.

    --
    David

    "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
    > * PTravel Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    > > I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under
    > > Linux. Was I wrong?
    >
    > Yes, that is incorrect. There is more than one FS on the box I believe
    > but FAT16 is not one of them.

    Ah, thanks. Fortunately, my knowledge of this area (or rather lack of
    knowledge) didn't come into play when I replaced the HD in my Series 1.
    That fact, in itself, shows how easy it is to do using the readily available
    software.

    PTravel wrote:

    > I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under Linux.

    You have been misinformed - they are *not* DOS-style partitions.

    =[tivo:root]-# uname -a
    Linux (none) 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5 #8 Wed May 8 15:38:27 PDT 2002 ppc unknown
    =[tivo:root]-# fdisk -l
    bash: fdisk: command not found
    =[tivo:root]-# pdisk -l

    Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
    #: type name length base ( size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: Image Bootstrap 1 4096 @ 64 ( 2.0M)
    3: Image Kernel 1 4096 @ 4160 ( 2.0M)
    4: Ext2 Root 1 262144 @ 8256 (128.0M)
    5: Image Bootstrap 2 4096 @ 270400 ( 2.0M)
    6: Image Kernel 2 4096 @ 274496 ( 2.0M)
    7: Ext2 Root 2 262144 @ 278592 (128.0M)
    8: Swap Linux swap 131072 @ 540736 ( 64.0M)
    9: Ext2 /var 262144 @ 671808 (128.0M)
    10: MFS app region 1048576 @ 933952 (512.0M)
    11: MFS media region 42015744 @ 1982528 ( 20.0G)
    12: Apple_Free Extra 928 @ 43998272

    Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdb'
    #: type name length base ( size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: MFS app extended 1024 @ 64
    3: MFS media extend 156295168 @ 1088 ( 74.5G)
    4: Apple_Free Extra 5232 @ 156296256 ( 2.6M)

    -Joe

    In article <KdudncJIc7dfwvHfRVn-vw@comcast.com>,
    Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:

    > PTravel wrote:
    >
    > > I thought the Tivo drive was formatted as FAT16, running under Linux.
    >
    > You have been misinformed - they are *not* DOS-style partitions.
    >
    > =[tivo:root]-# uname -a
    > Linux (none) 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5 #8 Wed May 8 15:38:27 PDT 2002 ppc unknown
    > =[tivo:root]-# fdisk -l
    > bash: fdisk: command not found
    > =[tivo:root]-# pdisk -l
    >
    > Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
    > #: type name length base ( size )
    > 1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    > 2: Image Bootstrap 1 4096 @ 64 ( 2.0M)
    > 3: Image Kernel 1 4096 @ 4160 ( 2.0M)
    > 4: Ext2 Root 1 262144 @ 8256 (128.0M)
    > 5: Image Bootstrap 2 4096 @ 270400 ( 2.0M)
    > 6: Image Kernel 2 4096 @ 274496 ( 2.0M)
    > 7: Ext2 Root 2 262144 @ 278592 (128.0M)
    > 8: Swap Linux swap 131072 @ 540736 ( 64.0M)
    > 9: Ext2 /var 262144 @ 671808 (128.0M)
    > 10: MFS app region 1048576 @ 933952 (512.0M)
    > 11: MFS media region 42015744 @ 1982528 ( 20.0G)
    > 12: Apple_Free Extra 928 @ 43998272
    >
    > Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdb'
    > #: type name length base ( size )
    > 1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    > 2: MFS app extended 1024 @ 64
    > 3: MFS media extend 156295168 @ 1088 ( 74.5G)
    > 4: Apple_Free Extra 5232 @ 156296256 ( 2.6M)
    >

    > -Joe

    I get on a hacked HDVR2

    Disk /dev/hda: 137.4 GB, 137438952960 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 266305 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

    Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
    #: type name length base ( size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1

    2: Image Bootstrap 1 4096 @ 76181568 ( 2.0M)
    3: Image Kernel 1 4096 @ 76185664 ( 2.0M)