The reason Tivo is 'on' all the time

is because it's more convenient for Tivo to be able to reach it any time,
day or night. But if you consider the electricity consumed by millions of
Tivos spinning away through the night, it amounts to a prodigious waste of
power, not to mention added wear on the moving parts.

Norm Strong
22 answers Last reply
More about reason tivo time

    <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in

    > is because it's more convenient for Tivo to be able to reach it any
    > time, day or night.

    I see we forgot our tin hat today.

    > not to mention added wear on the moving parts.

    And our intelligence.

    Yeah yeah, I know, don't feed the trolls. But this one was just so cute
    with the sad puppy eyes and all.

    <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > is because it's more convenient for Tivo to be able to reach it any time,
    > day or night.

    Tivo has never initiated contact with either of my machines. All contact
    has been made via my Tivos calling home at their scheduled (sometimes
    forced) times. All service data downloads made via the Discovery Channel
    are scheduled during those calls.

    > But if you consider the electricity consumed by millions of Tivos spinning
    > away through the night, it amounts to a prodigious waste of power

    The entire television industry could be considered to be a "a prodigious
    waste of power" as could energy used to support your existence.

    >>But if you consider the electricity consumed by millions of Tivos spinning
    >>away through the night, it amounts to a prodigious waste of power
    >

    > The entire television industry could be considered to be a "a prodigious
    > waste of power" as could energy used to support your existence.

    Well, to be fair, it's not completely an invalid point (though the thing
    about Tivo contacting us seems a bit paranoic). Saving energy is an
    enviable goal, and it's not impossible that Tivo's duty cycle could be
    made a bit more energy efficient. For example, say that instead of
    storing the continuous 30 minute buffer on the HDD, the DVR stored in
    instead on flash memory, and then powered down the drive when not
    actively recording an entire program?

    The amt of flash memory required would be cost prohibitive right now,
    but eventually it might make sense.

    Randy S.

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:00:05 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:

    >is because it's more convenient for Tivo to be able to reach it any time,
    >day or night. But if you consider the electricity consumed by millions of
    >Tivos spinning away through the night, it amounts to a prodigious waste of
    >power, not to mention added wear on the moving parts.
    >
    >Norm Strong

    Tivo is old technology.

    My cable DVR 'shuts down' when it's not recording. It's much more
    advanced than Tivo.

    Sean

    * Sean Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:00:05 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>is because it's more convenient for Tivo to be able to reach it
    >>any time, day or night. But if you consider the electricity
    >>consumed by millions of Tivos spinning away through the night, it
    >>amounts to a prodigious waste of power, not to mention added wear
    >>on the moving parts.
    >>

    > Tivo is old technology.
    >
    > My cable DVR 'shuts down' when it's not recording. It's much more
    > advanced than Tivo.

    Yeah, except it also shuts down while it IS recording also.

    --
    David

    Major power consumption is not in a disk drive that
    consumes single digit watts. Power consumption is the
    electronics and processor that consume on the order of 100+
    watts. And in the power supply that can be as low as 65%
    efficient.

    Replace the magnetic head disk drive with flash memory, or
    with newer technologies such as ferroelectric RAM (FeRAM) (see
    www.ramtron.com), magnetic RAM (MRAM), ovanic unifed memory
    (OUM) (see www.intel.com), or the optical disk drive (due out
    this next year from IBM and others). All eliminate the
    constantly moving parts of a drive. And yet still the big
    energy consumer remains on motherboard and inside the power
    supply.

    Energy reduction is an admirable objective. Especially
    desirable in a niche market (see next paragraph). But the
    constantly moving disk drive is not the major consumer of that
    energy. Eliminating the disk drive does not solve an energy
    consumption problem.

    Powering Tivo constantly is not problematic to those on the
    grid. However it remains a problem for those dependent on
    non-traditional energy sources. Anything that depends on a
    constant energy source causes greater energy consumption and
    losses when power is from a local generator, wind, or solar
    power. A Tivo that could eliminate a need for constant
    external power would be an asset to this market. However the
    market is not very large. The hardware redesign would be
    significant and expensive.

    w_tom wrote:
    > Major power consumption is not in a disk drive that
    > consumes single digit watts. Power consumption is the
    > electronics and processor that consume on the order of 100+
    > watts. And in the power supply that can be as low as 65%
    > efficient.

    Dude, nobody's listening to you. You demand numbers yet make numbers
    for yourself out of the air. You offer no useful content, please stop
    bothering an otherwise informative group.

    I can tell you for certain that the processor in a Tivo DVR uses nothing
    close to 100 watts, they don't use Intel P4 processors or anything
    close. And what the hell does the efficiency of the power supply have
    anything to do with it? Sure, no power supply is 100% efficient, but
    you're going to need a PS whether you have a hard drive or not.
    Seriously dude, you need to get out of your rubber room more.

    Randy S.

    Then put up some numbers rather that use insults to mask
    your technical ignorance. How much power does your Tivo
    consume? If you can post, then have enough balls to put up
    numbers. It takes balls to put up a fact that can be
    confirmed. You tell me. Where is this massive energy savings
    using flash memory when disk drives consume only single digit
    watts? Show me. Where are the energy savings? I will
    assume no response again means you have not the knowledge to
    back up you assumptions - which is why you only responded with
    insults.

    Those who insult cannot put up numbers. But go ahead.
    Prove me wrong. Show me that you know more than just how to
    insult and write fiction. Put up the numbers.

    w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in news:42647DDC.1273F28F@hotmail.com:

    > Then put up some numbers rather that use insults to mask
    > your technical ignorance. How much power does your Tivo
    > consume? If you can post, then have enough balls to put up

    What? Mommy won't read the label to you? Too stupid to read the posts
    where TiVo power consumption has already been well-discussed?

    You've ceased to be amusing. Expect no further replies until you get a
    brain.

    So basically...expect no further replies.

    > numbers. It takes balls to put up a fact that can be
    > confirmed. You tell me. Where is this massive energy savings

    I guess you have no balls, because as much as you cry about 'the numbers',
    the few you have posted have been easily shot down.

    Why do the same users repeatedly post insults; never once
    post a useful fact? They are power users. Some do have a
    good grasp of how to operate Tivo. But no clue what actually
    happens inside.

    Randy S posts total nonsense about reducing power with flash
    memory. He knows how to run Tivo. But he only knows how to
    push the buttons; has no idea what those buttons really do.
    Notice he never once puts a number to energy 'saved' by flash
    memory. He cannot. That requires technical knowledge.
    Something not needed to be a power user.

    Tivo's largest power consumers are the processor and other
    peripheral ICs on and connected directly to motherboard.
    Consumes on the order of 100 watts compared to less than
    single digit watts consumed by a disk drive. Replacing disk
    drive with flash memory provides only trivial power reduction
    - as numbers so painfully demonstrate.

    Howard again posts insults as he does routinely in replies
    to others. He never posts useful numbers. That would require
    intelligence. Those without knowledge instead must post
    insults. If Howard would just stop posting as he repeatedly
    threatens, then the discussion could move into reality.

    In article <426599AC.5CC9315E@hotmail.com>, w_tom wrote:
    > Notice he never once puts a number to energy 'saved' by flash
    > memory.
    >
    > Tivo's largest power consumers are the processor and other
    > peripheral ICs on and connected directly to motherboard.
    > Consumes on the order of 100 watts compared to less than
    > single digit watts consumed by a disk drive.

    So what's worse: somebody who doesn't post numbers and relies on
    reasonable arguments, or somebody who posts incorrect numbers
    and has nonsensical arguments?

    A TiVo consumes 35-40 watts. It's been directly measured by several
    people as reported on TiVoCommunity.

    There are plenty of reasonable arguments without numbers -
    such as weapons of mass destruction. A reasonable sounding
    argument that is not supported by numbers is called
    propaganda. However you have provided a most interesting
    number. Now I have some numbers work with here. That's the
    difference. One who provides numbers is willing to risk peer
    review. One who is just guessing (such as flash saving all
    that money) avoids numbers so we don't see his wild
    speculation.

    Thanks for interesting numbers. I did not know Tivo
    hardware reduced its power consumption that low.

    On 2005-04-20, w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for interesting numbers. I did not know Tivo
    > hardware reduced its power consumption that low.

    reduced its power consumption that low? I don't think this is anything
    TiVo did - it's just how low it IS.

    You realize the CPU (IBM 403gcx - an embedded 32bit processor) in my TiVo
    is spec'd to deliver 400mW at typical usage?

    I'd say 35-40 watts is pretty high (I actually thought the range I read
    was 25-40 but I don't care enough to search for this).

    Mike Hunt wrote:
    > On 2005-04-20, w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for interesting numbers. I did not know Tivo
    >>hardware reduced its power consumption that low.
    >

    > reduced its power consumption that low? I don't think this is anything
    > TiVo did - it's just how low it IS.
    >
    > You realize the CPU (IBM 403gcx - an embedded 32bit processor) in my TiVo
    > is spec'd to deliver 400mW at typical usage?
    >
    > I'd say 35-40 watts is pretty high (I actually thought the range I read
    > was 25-40 but I don't care enough to search for this).

    What is clear is that he's arguing about something he knows little
    about. He makes claims of Processor wattage of 100 Watts, when it's
    likely 1/100th of that. He bitches because I conjectured that at some
    point using flash memory for live buffering might be more efficient than
    moving hardware. Note the "at some point", meaning I know that it isn't
    feasible now, but we all know that technology moves on and that flash
    memory (or it's equivalent, i.e. solid state storage that doesn't
    require maintenance power) will become cheaper and more efficient.

    But of course the biggest benefit is that solid state hardware just
    fails *far* less often.

    Randy S.

    Randy S. (rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > What is clear is that he's arguing about something he knows little
    > about. He makes claims of Processor wattage of 100 Watts, when it's
    > likely 1/100th of that.

    He must be thinking of modern Pentium 4 processors, which do use 50-100W.

    > He bitches because I conjectured that at some
    > point using flash memory for live buffering might be more efficient than
    > moving hardware. Note the "at some point", meaning I know that it isn't
    > feasible now, but we all know that technology moves on and that flash
    > memory (or it's equivalent, i.e. solid state storage that doesn't
    > require maintenance power) will become cheaper and more efficient.

    Flash memory can do the job today. Some can write as fast as 20MB/sec,
    which is 160Mbps. TiVo recordings are never more than 19Mbps (even on an
    HD TiVo).

    But, for the buffer, I don't see the value of using non-volatile memory.
    If you turn off the power to the box, you lose the buffer under the current
    system, so why not do it the same way with a solid-state buffer? You'd
    still need 2-4GB of memory to do the job, but it can be *slow* memory, so
    it can be cheap and low-power consumption.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Randy S. (rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >
    >>What is clear is that he's arguing about something he knows little
    >>about. He makes claims of Processor wattage of 100 Watts, when it's
    >>likely 1/100th of that.
    >

    > He must be thinking of modern Pentium 4 processors, which do use 50-100W.

    Yep, I'm sure he is (the newest P4's consume over 100W), but it in now
    way applied to this situation and he's naive to think it does.

    >> He bitches because I conjectured that at some
    >>point using flash memory for live buffering might be more efficient than
    >>moving hardware. Note the "at some point", meaning I know that it isn't
    >>feasible now, but we all know that technology moves on and that flash
    >>memory (or it's equivalent, i.e. solid state storage that doesn't
    >>require maintenance power) will become cheaper and more efficient.
    >

    > Flash memory can do the job today. Some can write as fast as 20MB/sec,
    > which is 160Mbps. TiVo recordings are never more than 19Mbps (even on an
    > HD TiVo).

    I don't think it's currently feasible because the size required would be
    very expensive for an inexpensive box.

    > But, for the buffer, I don't see the value of using non-volatile memory.
    > If you turn off the power to the box, you lose the buffer under the current
    > system, so why not do it the same way with a solid-state buffer? You'd
    > still need 2-4GB of memory to do the job, but it can be *slow* memory, so
    > it can be cheap and low-power consumption.

    You know, I was thinking about that while I was writing the last post,
    and you're absolutely correct, regular memory would work just fine.
    However that much RAM is still too expensive for a $100 box. Prices
    keep falling though!

    Randy S.

    The IBM403gcx is a Power PC chip; not Intel/AMD
    compatible. It is equivalent in power to a 486 or original
    Pentium chip. Its primary market is only as an embedded
    controller. Are you sure that is your main processor, or part
    of a peripheral Tivo function?

    w_tom wrote:
    > The IBM403gcx is a Power PC chip; not Intel/AMD
    > compatible. It is equivalent in power to a 486 or original
    > Pentium chip. Its primary market is only as an embedded
    > controller. Are you sure that is your main processor, or part
    > of a peripheral Tivo function?

    Yes, he's sure, who the hell said it had to be Intel/AMD compatible? :

    http://www.9thtee.com/insidetivo.htm

    Will you please crawl back under your rock now?

    Randy S.

    On 2005-04-21, w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > The IBM403gcx is a Power PC chip; not Intel/AMD
    > compatible. It is equivalent in power to a 486 or original
    > Pentium chip. Its primary market is only as an embedded
    > controller. Are you sure that is your main processor, or part
    > of a peripheral Tivo function?

    From this, it is now obvious to me you don't know much about TiVo hardware
    and makes me wonder why you were so strong in your previous arguments
    about TiVo power usage without first understanding the product.

    Yes, the 403gcx is the CPU of the TiVo. The TiVo uses PowerPC hardware
    and software. The boxes are NOT Intel/AMD machines. The TiVo doesn't
    need a fancy CPU - it has dedicated hardware to deal with the MPEG
    encoding/decoding.

    Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in news:116g7cqmf1kfd87
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > From this, it is now obvious to me you don't know much about TiVo hardware
    > and makes me wonder why you were so strong in your previous arguments
    > about TiVo power usage without first understanding the product.

    Actually, I thought we had already established he was here just to argue, and
    lacked a foundation of even the most basic of knowledge.

    w_tom wrote:
    > The IBM403gcx is a Power PC chip; not Intel/AMD
    > compatible. It is equivalent in power to a 486 or original
    > Pentium chip. Its primary market is only as an embedded
    > controller. Are you sure that is your main processor, or part
    > of a peripheral Tivo function?

    Yes, we are sure it is the main processor.

    telnet joe-tivo
    =[tivo:root]-# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    cpu : IBM 403GCX
    clock : 54MHz
    revision : 20.1
    bogomips : 53.86
    machine : Teleworld Customer Device

    In article <qbudnToZNrROxfHfRVn-1Q@comcast.com>,
    Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:

    > w_tom wrote:
    > > The IBM403gcx is a Power PC chip; not Intel/AMD
    > > compatible. It is equivalent in power to a 486 or original
    > > Pentium chip. Its primary market is only as an embedded
    > > controller. Are you sure that is your main processor, or part
    > > of a peripheral Tivo function?
    >
    > Yes, we are sure it is the main processor.
    >
    > telnet joe-tivo
    > =[tivo:root]-# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    > processor : 0
    > cpu : IBM 403GCX