Best DirecTV Tuner fo work with ReplayTV?

I have been to the DirecTV web site and they have manuals for nearly 10
dozen different tuners.

Which ones work the best (conversely, which ones should I avoid)?

Do any use the serial cable instead of an IR blaster? Any models work
better with addressing (because I'll have two in one room)?

--
Jeff

NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
7 answers Last reply
More about directv tuner work replaytv

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:21:22 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > I have been to the DirecTV web site and they have manuals for nearly 10
    >dozen different tuners.
    >
    > Which ones work the best (conversely, which ones should I avoid)?
    >
    > Do any use the serial cable instead of an IR blaster? Any models work
    >better with addressing (because I'll have two in one room)?

    Both my DirecTV receivers are RCA model DRD420RE. These work well and
    use serial control cables (including the DE9-RJ22 adapter that comes
    with the Replay).

    Note that the Replay only sends the channel change command to the
    receiver, never receives.

    This is now an older model (although new enough to get locals on
    channel numbers < 100), although newer models should work too (when
    you set up the Replay, you'll get a "APG" option which you need with a
    newer receiver).

    You'll need a special receiver to get sat-D (the new satellite
    location at 72.5 degrees, just some locals).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > I have been to the DirecTV web site and they have manuals for nearly 10
    >dozen different tuners.
    >
    > Which ones work the best (conversely, which ones should I avoid)?
    >
    > Do any use the serial cable instead of an IR blaster? Any models work
    >better with addressing (because I'll have two in one room)?

    My 2 are in the same room (less than a foot apart). The 2 are
    completely independant, and so there is no need for addressing.

    Note that the Replay should have exclusive control of the receiver,
    which is what the Replay expects. Using it's (the receiver's) control
    could interfere with automatic recordings.

    If you're using IR (rather than serial) control, put some
    non-transparent tape areond the IR receiver on the receiver to prevent
    interferance. Serial control is preferable.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    DRD420RE works fine
    and also the DRD435RH seems OK (this is the newer RCA model)

    "Jeff Lindstrom" <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I have been to the DirecTV web site and they have manuals for nearly 10
    > dozen different tuners.
    >
    > Which ones work the best (conversely, which ones should I avoid)?
    >
    > Do any use the serial cable instead of an IR blaster? Any models work
    > better with addressing (because I'll have two in one room)?
    >

    > --
    > Jeff

    > NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:28:31 -0400, "Al Swearengen"
    <al_swear@gemsaloon.com> wrote:

    >DRD420RE works fine
    >and also the DRD435RH seems OK (this is the newer RCA model)

    The DRD420RE is what I have and it works fine with serial control.
    Does the DRD435RG work with serial?

    >"Jeff Lindstrom" <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> I have been to the DirecTV web site and they have manuals for nearly 10
    >> dozen different tuners.
    >>
    >> Which ones work the best (conversely, which ones should I avoid)?
    >>
    >> Do any use the serial cable instead of an IR blaster? Any models work
    >> better with addressing (because I'll have two in one room)?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Jeff

    >> NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    I should have been more specific. The DRD420RE works well with SERIAL and
    will work fine even with the older ReplayTVs (like the 2000 models)
    The DRD435RH works fine with SERIAL with the newest ReplayTV models only
    (5000 and up I think) it won't work with older ReplayTVs like the 2000

    I've never tried the IR blaster on these models, avoid IR blaster if you
    can...

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:28:31 -0400, "Al Swearengen"
    > <al_swear@gemsaloon.com> wrote:
    >
    > >DRD420RE works fine
    > >and also the DRD435RH seems OK (this is the newer RCA model)
    > >

    > The DRD420RE is what I have and it works fine with serial control.
    > Does the DRD435RG work with serial?
    >

    > >"Jeff Lindstrom" <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > >> I have been to the DirecTV web site and they have manuals for nearly
    10
    > >> dozen different tuners.
    > >>
    > >> Which ones work the best (conversely, which ones should I avoid)?
    > >>
    > >> Do any use the serial cable instead of an IR blaster? Any models
    work
    > >> better with addressing (because I'll have two in one room)?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Jeff
    > >>
    > >> ===================================================================
    > >> NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
    > >

    > --
    > Mark Lloyd
    > has a Replay 5xxx
    > http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
    >
    > "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    > created and still runs this old universe is so
    > childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    > believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    > still fall for that scam."

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    > Both my DirecTV receivers are RCA model DRD420RE. These work well and
    > use serial control cables (including the DE9-RJ22 adapter that comes
    > with the Replay).

    Ok... it seems there are several models which will work with serial
    control; I just have to make sure I get one and check it out when it is
    installed.

    > ... (when
    > you set up the Replay, you'll get a "APG" option which you need with a
    > newer receiver).

    APG option?

    > You'll need a special receiver to get sat-D (the new satellite
    > location at 72.5 degrees, just some locals).

    I am a bit concerned about the cost of converting to the HD boxes when
    they become more widely available (those 150 nationwide HD channels and
    some 1500 HD channels carrying local content).

    I should get it in writing that I will not have to pay an Early
    Termination fee when I upgrade and change equipment.

    --
    Jeff

    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:27:25 -0500, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >> Both my DirecTV receivers are RCA model DRD420RE. These work well and
    >> use serial control cables (including the DE9-RJ22 adapter that comes
    >> with the Replay).
    >
    > Ok... it seems there are several models which will work with serial
    >control; I just have to make sure I get one and check it out when it is
    >installed.
    >

    >> ... (when
    >> you set up the Replay, you'll get a "APG" option which you need with a
    >> newer receiver).
    >
    > APG option?

    It you have recent Replay software, you'll see this option when
    setting it up to use DirecTV. When asked how to control the receiver,
    you'll have 3 choices, "IR blaster", "serial", and "serial (APG)". APG
    seems to mean Advanced Program Guide. These (the newer models) or
    receiver require a somewhat different serial control protocol. The
    Replay now supports that.

    >> You'll need a special receiver to get sat-D (the new satellite
    >> location at 72.5 degrees, just some locals).
    >
    > I am a bit concerned about the cost of converting to the HD boxes when
    >they become more widely available (those 150 nationwide HD channels and
    >some 1500 HD channels carrying local content).

    You'll need a new receiver when that happens. Perhaps similar to the
    ones required for sat-D. You'd have to contact DTV for more
    information on that.

    Replay doesn't currently support HD (although the HD receiver should
    be able to convert it to NTSC). There will be a HD model available
    eventually, but it'll probable be an integrated receiver-DVR. The
    hardware to make a general-purpose HD DVR is expensive (and there's
    the business-controlled government "protection" that's going to get in
    the way here to).

    > I should get it in writing that I will not have to pay an Early
    >Termination fee when I upgrade and change equipment.

    Probably, although I don't know about that. I bought my receivers
    directly, and so didn't have to deal with that.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com