R9 290 or nvidia equivalent.

reijin2409

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
hi, I currently have an i5-3570k. and currently using a GTX 660Ti I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU to a R9 290. I have few questions in mind. Firstly, will my CPU be a bottleneck to a R9 290? Thou, I do also plan to build a new desktop PC pretty soon. so i wont totally dispose my nvidia card. Next Question is, will I get visual differences in terms of physx intensive games if im converting to AMD? how about Framerates on physx intensive games?

I'd also loved to hear your opinions and tips guys. Thanks in advance. :)

I think this depends on your screen resolution and the games you're going to play. If you are going to play something like TitanFall at maxed settings at higher resolutions than 1440p, then it's better to go for the R9 290, because it has higher VRAM and memory bandwidth. If this is not the case, then go for a GTX 770.

And that CPU will not overclock any of the graphics card I mentioned.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah the 290 would be a good upgrade. Your CPU is still great and wont bottleneck.

I wouldnt go for a 770, that wouldnt be a very noticeable upgrade from a 660 ti. r9 290, or gtx 780 at a minimum to make it a significant upgrade.

GizmoMKD

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
r9 290 = gtx 780 - go with nVidia because most of the games are compatible with nvidia. only on BF4 you may have better performance 290 vs 780.

1) Your processor will not get bottlenecked.
2) Visual difference between PHYSX and no PHYSX is difficult to perceive and only certain titles use it properly (Borderlands 2, Arhkam series).
3) Frame rates will be better because the use of PHYSX depletes frames since it requires extra calculations.

You run PHYSX off processor, if means that much to you. But that's not an ideal way of using it.

reijin2409

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

Thank you for the advices and suggestions, I appreciate your quick response.