Xeon E3-1231v3 vs i7-4770/90

Ytyoussef

Distinguished
Hello everyone,
Well I have something to discuss today. I always feel like the core i CPUs overshadow the xeon CPUs, which from what I've seen are just as good, but don't have an iGPU, which most people using discrete graphics cards won't need anyway. The Xeons are quite a bit cheaper too, for instance there's the E3-1231v3 that's comparable to the i7-4770/90, and there's more than a 60$ difference between the two CPUs. I really feel that if someone isn't overclocking and wants a CPU with hyperthreading, then the Xeon is the better option.
So I would like to know what everyone thinks of this.

logainofhades

Titan

They are recommended by people here on a regular basis. I have been recommending them for months. Buying a locked i7 4770 is foolish, when a 1231v3 will perform exactly the same. Even before the 1231v3, the 1230v3 was often recommended, as the 100mhz difference wasn't worth $50 price difference.

Ytyoussef

Distinguished

That's good to know, as I hadn't seen those recommendations.

for me it was I never did intel 15 years of amd builds and went intel for my first time and wish someone would have pointed me towards the xeon --did not think to look there way until after the fact and now think I would of preferred it over the i5 I got in here now , but as they say i'll know better next time..
not to say this i5 is hurting me in any way but the xeon did seem to offer more for the money for my needs ..

I do own a Xeon 1230v3. Couldn't be happier for the price.

Someone probably mentioned it earlier in this thread (skim-read it) but it's generally their association with servers/workstations that causes people to shy away from them. Clever marketing on intel's part, they can make more money from an almost identical core i series chip. That's apparent on these very forums, people often don't like having Xeons recommended to them.