TiVo in talks with Google and Yahoo

Tivo is talking to both Google and Yahoo about integrating web search for
videos, with TiVo to display the results on a TV. It appears that the final
deal will be exclusive with one of the search companies.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

    http://news.com.com/TiVo+courts+search+giants/2100-1041_3-5673225.html

    --
    Steve
    http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann

    TiVo Said Talking Deal With Web Search Kings

    By: Charles Farrar

    Digital video recording service TiVo is said to be talking to search
    kings Google and Yahoo about a potential deal‹one that could provide an
    additional avenue for the exposure of adult entertainment. If the joint
    venture comes to fruition, it could open the door to the possibility
    of consumers being able to search the Web for videos and playing them on
    their TV sets.

    ³I guess it would come down to ease and functionality,² says Fabian
    Citraro, who runs the adult television service XTV, about possibly
    playing your Web-found clips or films on your TV set. ³There are major
    players that could come in and make it interesting. But we¹ll see how
    fast people would take to it; there¹s only 3 million people using TiVo
    now.²

    Citraro also suggested that how much adult material would be allowed
    to pass through such an option might depend on how much pressure is
    brought to bear by critics or activists against adult material.

    ³Is there going to be heat from the certain groups who¹d say, ŒLook,
    TiVo and Google or whoever are making it easier for my kid to search
    porn?¹² he asks. ³Yahoo had to pull their porn ads, Google backed out
    of [making room for amateur adult] video on their service. Just because
    TiVo and Google might hook up later, it doesn¹t mean porn is going to
    be easily accessible, whereas with someone like [XTV], we¹re a private
    network, and once you have our box, you can have a limitless supply of
    adult material.²

    Published reports indicate that the option of downloading video from
    the Web and playing it on your television set is just one idea TiVo
    might kick around with the search engines, with other possibilities
    believed to include equity investing in TiVo by the search engines or
    even an outright acquisition of the digital video recording service.

    None of the three players is commenting publicly about any discussions
    involving TiVo for now, according to published reports. But those
    reports also suggested any deal between TiVo and a major Web searcher
    would mean expansion opportunities for both sides, considering TiVo¹s
    long-familiar ambition of becoming television¹s Google and Google and
    Yahoo¹s recent heavy investment in video services.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Google Video Yahoo