Laserdisc Cover Scanning Question

Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?

I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.

Thanks

More about laserdisc cover scanning question

    well I am sure you could spend $3000 on one of those industrial 14x18
    (or whatever they are) that will do the job for ya, or simply use a
    digital camera :-)

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:23:20 -0500, Headlylm <headlylm@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
    >
    >I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
    >My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
    >
    >Thanks

    > Headlylm <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Does anyone have any advise on how to scan
    > albums or laserdisc covers?

    For what end use of the images? eBay auctions?
    Full-size repro? Poster enlargements? Museum archive?

    > I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough
    > to scan the covers? My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.

    200 dpi likely suffices for almost any application,
    and that works out to just over 6Mp for the cover,
    or an 8Mp digital camera (because the aspect ratios
    don't match).

    An 8Mp camera and copy stand can be had for less than
    a scanner with a 13-in platen. In either case, be sure
    to invest in some color chips to include in the image
    for color correction, and do not use the flash on the
    camera.

    For a small number of covers, multi-scanning and
    image stitching might be more practical.

    "Headlylm" wrote:

    > Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
    >
    > I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
    > My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.

    If you're doing cover scans for something lo-rez like an eBay auction, just
    scan the cover at about double the resolution you need in two passes, making
    a left and right side file, then use Photoshop (or a similar image editing
    program) and cut and paste one of the halves on the other using layers, line
    them up fairly decently and maybe do a little clean up and color correction
    using "curves" and/or "brightness/contrast" and merge the two layers. Then
    resize the image down to say, 12" square by 72 dpi (which will get rid of
    most nasty dot (miore) patterns from the cover's printing that the scanner
    may have picked up and there you go - a complete cover.

    T.B.

    check ebay to see if it is in there photo archives and "borrow" it, google
    search for that particular laserdisc in images and rightclick, save that or
    scan in 2 halves and photoshop together, takes time but can be done.

    Bob Niland wrote:
    > [...]
    > An 8Mp camera and copy stand can be had for less than
    > a scanner with a 13-in platen. In either case, be sure
    > to invest in some color chips to include in the image
    > for color correction, and do not use the flash on the
    > camera.

    For a picture of one copy stand (the one I forgot I had when
    I posted a similar question a year or so ago :-):

    <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/doc_stand.jpg>

    Scan it in 2 or more pieces and stitch them together, done right you will
    never be able to tell. Most scanners come with a stitch application
    "Headlylm" <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
    >
    > I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
    > My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
    >
    > Thanks

    "Headlylm" <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
    >
    > I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
    > My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
    >
    > Thanks

    Since I am a newbie at scanning and digital cameras etc (my parents only got
    a MFC the other day), I'm wondering if there would be a way to combine the
    best of both of these worlds to solve your little problem. Here's what I'm
    talking about ...

    These days, some digital cameras (or at least their software) are able to
    splice (or join) two or more photographs together pretty much seamlessly. I
    am thinking that if you could scan the two halves (or two thirds and the
    last third) of a Laserdisc cover, then you could utilise the digital camera
    / image manipulation software to join the two images together. I'm sure
    this method could be the ticket, but I can't guarantee it will work because
    I haven't really gotten into digital imaging yet.

    Hope this helps.

    Simply scan the laser box cover in two or three pieces and but them up in
    your software package.

    Scifi2k.com

    "Headlylm" <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
    >
    > I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
    > My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
    >
    > Thanks

Laser Disc Players Video Scanners