TIVO dead after power outage...

Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I
can feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video.
I have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
is a series 2, with a second HD added.

Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
I really can't just replace it.

I am comfortable with opening the unit and working on it if I have an
idea of what the problem actually is, such as the power supply or HD,
for example.

Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated, as I am very spoiled by my TIVO
and can't imagine life without it, as I am sure you all understand.

Thanks in advance,
Doug S.
22 answers Last reply
More about tivo dead power outage

    In article <1155jk422m0hs85@corp.supernews.com>, dougs02
    @spamsux.pobox.com says...
    > Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    > back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
    > Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I
    > can feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
    > front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video.
    > I have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
    > is a series 2, with a second HD added.

    Ahh, but was the coax on a surge protector as well? And not the little
    cheapies from walmart, either. They do nothing. My guess, it's fried.

    > Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    > assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    > it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
    > I really can't just replace it.

    No, you've voided your warranty, so tivo won't do anything with it. And
    yes, you'll have to replace it.

    >>Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    >>assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    >>it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
    >>I really can't just replace it.
    >>

    > No, you've voided your warranty, so tivo won't do anything with it. And
    > yes, you'll have to replace it.

    Is it irreperably modded? If you haven't made any permanent physical
    alterations I'd suggest you could put it back into the original
    configuration and still be covered under warranty. It's probably
    cheating slightly, but worth a try. At least in the spirit of things
    you wouldn't be being dishonest since you didn't cause it to fail. You
    could swap your mods back in after the repair.

    Randy S.

    Doug S. <dougs02@spamsux.pobox.com> wrote:
    >Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    >back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
    > Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I
    >can feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
    >front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video.
    >I have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
    >is a series 2, with a second HD added.

    Do you know if BOTH hard drives are coming on?

    Have you tried the Svideo source if you're using the composite output, or
    vice versa?

    I could be wrong, but I thought that the very first screen that is output
    comes out of ROM, so (I thought) you'd get the first 'starting up' screen
    even if the hard drive didn't power on.

    >Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    >assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    >it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
    >I really can't just replace it.

    I hope you kept the original drive. If you can't get any video out of it,
    you could put the original drive back, and at the VERY least, get it
    replaced by the manufacturer for approximately $100, and the lifetime
    service will be transferred. (Note I did _NOT_ say you can just go buy
    another unit.. you can't.)

    >I am comfortable with opening the unit and working on it if I have an
    >idea of what the problem actually is, such as the power supply or HD,
    >for example.

    As I originally asked -- it would be useful to know if power was going to
    both drives -- though in that case you're likely screwed(*) if you don't have
    the original drive or a single-drive backup.

    (*) For various definitions of screwed. If you have another Tivo of the
    same variety, you could use the backup/restore tools to get an image off of
    that one. I thought there was someone who sold legitimate CDs of the
    Tivo software, but I don't remember who that is/was. (It doesn't appear to
    be weaknees, unless I can't find it.)

    There's some info that may be useful at
    http://www.weaknees.com/powering_up.php
    --
    mattack@vax.hanford.org

    Others have answered a 'short term' solution. Your long
    term solution - to make this not happen again - should be made
    obvious from what you have learned and what has been posted
    here previously:
    > (yes, it is on a surge protector)

    The adjacent protector does not claim to protect from this
    type of destructive transient AND can even contribute to
    damage of the adjacent transistors. Review that surge
    protector's own specs for the conveniently 'forgotten'
    details. What they forget to mention is protection from the
    type of transient that typically damages Tivos.

    This was discussed previously (including solutions) in
    "Surge Supressors?" on 13 Jun 2003 in the newsgroup
    alt.video.ptv.tivo at
    http://tinyurl.com/qbj9 .

    Effective solutions are sold in both Home Depot (Intermatic)
    and Lowes (Cutler Hammer and GE). No effective solution
    exists in Sears, Kmart, Staples, Walmart, Circuit City, Radio
    Shack, Best Buy, or even Tru-Value Hardware stores. Effective
    solutions are sold in brand names such as Square D,
    Polyphaser, Leviton, Erico, Furse, Intermatic, Siemens, Cutler
    Hammer, and GE. Names associated with responsible electrical
    brands; as opposed to who made your protector?

    Provided in previous discussions are numbers. No numbers is
    but one way to promote ineffective protectors. For example,
    how many joules on that Tivo protector? Post that number.

    In the meantime, protection is defined by earthing - which
    effective protectors make a short connection to. See that
    previous discussion for details.

    mattack@vax.hanford.org wrote:
    > In article <1155jk422m0hs85@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Doug S. <dougs02@spamsux.pobox.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    >>back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
    >> Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I
    >>can feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
    >>front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video.
    >>I have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
    >>is a series 2, with a second HD added.
    >

    > Do you know if BOTH hard drives are coming on?
    >
    > Have you tried the Svideo source if you're using the composite output, or
    > vice versa?
    >
    > I could be wrong, but I thought that the very first screen that is output
    > comes out of ROM, so (I thought) you'd get the first 'starting up' screen
    > even if the hard drive didn't power on.

    Never as much as a pixel, and no sound as well, so I don't expect that
    changing the video output is going to work, though it is easy enough to
    try. As for both drives powering up, I will have to pull it out and
    check on that. I can't say at this point if either one is, or if I am
    just hearing the fan.

    >>Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    >>assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    >>it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
    >>I really can't just replace it.
    >

    > I hope you kept the original drive. If you can't get any video out of it,
    > you could put the original drive back, and at the VERY least, get it
    > replaced by the manufacturer for approximately $100, and the lifetime
    > service will be transferred. (Note I did _NOT_ say you can just go buy
    > another unit.. you can't.)

    The original drive is still installed along with a second drive from
    Weaknees. I am hoping that this weekend I can at least restore the unit
    to it's original configuration so I can see what happens when TIVO gets
    it. My concern there is that it will be apparent that there was at one
    time a second drive installed, either visible evidence, or on the TV
    when starting the unit after replacing the defective part(s).

    >>I am comfortable with opening the unit and working on it if I have an
    >>idea of what the problem actually is, such as the power supply or HD,
    >>for example.
    >

    > As I originally asked -- it would be useful to know if power was going to
    > both drives -- though in that case you're likely screwed(*) if you don't have
    > the original drive or a single-drive backup.

    That is something I will have to check on this weekend. Would it make
    sense if this is the case to buy a used TIVO of the same model on e-bay
    and swap drives? It appears that I can pick up the same model without
    any upgrades for $50-$60 and could just switch the drives around. Then
    when the unit comes back, assuming TIVO repairs or exchanges it, I could
    put my drives back in, hopefully saving my upgrade as well as the
    programing on it, though that is secondary at this point.

    Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful.

    Doug

    In article <1155jk422m0hs85@corp.supernews.com>, dougs02@spamsux.pobox.com wrote:
    >Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    >back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
    > Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I
    >can feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
    >front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video.
    >I have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
    >is a series 2, with a second HD added.
    >
    >Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    >assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    >it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
    >I really can't just replace it.
    >
    >I am comfortable with opening the unit and working on it if I have an
    >idea of what the problem actually is, such as the power supply or HD,
    >for example.
    >
    >Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated, as I am very spoiled by my TIVO
    >and can't imagine life without it, as I am sure you all understand.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Doug S.
    If you have fried it, remove the second hard drive and any mounting brackets
    you may have placed in there and then contact TIVO (or directv is a DirecTivo)
    and arrange for a replacement.

    Dont tell them you even had it modded.

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:07:20 GMT, glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >In article <1155jk422m0hs85@corp.supernews.com>, dougs02@spamsux.pobox.com wrote:
    >>Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    >>back on my TIVO would no longer work. It
    >>is a series 2, with a second HD added.
    >>
    >>Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated, as I am very spoiled by my TIVO
    >>and can't imagine life without it, as I am sure you all understand.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Doug S.
    >
    >If you have fried it, remove the second hard drive and any mounting brackets
    >you may have placed in there and then contact TIVO (or directv is a DirecTivo)
    >and arrange for a replacement.
    >
    >Dont tell them you even had it modded.

    Well, I'm not sure that even reverting to the original drive,
    bracketry, etc., would be enough.

    When I modified my series 1, there was a sticker on the back over the
    seam between the cover and the housing that I had to break. If the
    series 2 had anything like that, TIVO may see it. However, that said,
    I think that the OP doesn't have much to lose by trying. I say go for
    it.

    "George Max" <lazarus@removethis.rr.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:07:20 GMT, glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com (GMAN)
    > wrote:
    >

    > Well, I'm not sure that even reverting to the original drive,
    > bracketry, etc., would be enough.
    >
    > When I modified my series 1, there was a sticker on the back over the
    > seam between the cover and the housing that I had to break. If the
    > series 2 had anything like that, TIVO may see it. However, that said,
    > I think that the OP doesn't have much to lose by trying. I say go for
    > it.

    First, my new S2 didn't have this "seal" on it at all.
    Second, I've modified quite a few S1 units and found the "seal" to be easily
    removed and reapplied.

    Doug S. wrote:
    > Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    > back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
    > Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I can
    > feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
    > front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video. I
    > have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
    > is a series 2, with a second HD added.

    When a disk fails, or TiVo does not even see it, the symptoms are the
    Green Screen Of Not Quite Death or the "Almost there..." gray screen.
    If the green LED is pulsing yellow in response to the remote, it means
    that the box has gotten past that point - the TiVo application "myworld"
    is running.

    Check to see if anything is coming out the coax RF output.
    I'm expecting that you'll see a black screen (no snow).
    That would mean that the RF modulator is working but not
    getting any input. Could be a burned-out MPEG chip.

    > Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    > assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    > it.

    It's too late now, but I would have recommended adding two new disks
    so that the original could be put on the shelf just for such contingencies.

    -Joe

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:44:35 -0500, Doug S. wrote:

    > Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    > back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
    > Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I
    > can feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
    > front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video.
    > I have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
    > is a series 2, with a second HD added.
    >
    > Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    > assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    > it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
    > I really can't just replace it.
    >
    > I am comfortable with opening the unit and working on it if I have an
    > idea of what the problem actually is, such as the power supply or HD,
    > for example.
    >
    > Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated, as I am very spoiled by my TIVO
    > and can't imagine life without it, as I am sure you all understand.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Doug S.

    Some Series 2 units have small power supplies (30-35 Watts or so) that won't
    reliably handle the startup current for two hard drives. Disconnect the
    second drive and see if the first one fires up.

    "GMAN" <glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com> wrote in message
    > In article <91p5511jaiafajkhn6vtev5hqlt6185l9i@4ax.com>, Sean <none>
    wrote:
    > >On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:15:23 GMT, theyak <yak@dev.null> wrote:
    > >
    > >>In article <1155jk422m0hs85@corp.supernews.com>, dougs02
    > >>@spamsux.pobox.com says...

    <snip>

    You can transfer the lifetime so, even if it's fried, you can get a new one
    and transfer it to the new one.

    Scotty

    > That is something I will have to check on this weekend. Would it make
    > sense if this is the case to buy a used TIVO of the same model on e-bay
    > and swap drives? It appears that I can pick up the same model without
    > any upgrades for $50-$60 and could just switch the drives around. Then
    > when the unit comes back, assuming TIVO repairs or exchanges it, I could
    > put my drives back in, hopefully saving my upgrade as well as the
    > programing on it, though that is secondary at this point.

    Sounds reasonable. Although by the time you get the used unit, screw around
    with swapping and sending it back, you could just as easily cannibalize it
    for parts and save yourself the added shipping costs back to Tivo for
    repairs. Granted, getting it fixed would get you a second unit. Albeit by
    perpetrating a fraud in the process. But hey, it's extremely unlikely the
    grunts refurbing these units will put any effort into actually checking the
    legitimacy of the deal. And even if they did, what're they gonna bother
    doing? Hold it hostage for the repair costs? You already rearranged the
    parts so it's not like it'd matter.

    wkearney99 wrote:
    >>That is something I will have to check on this weekend. Would it make
    >>sense if this is the case to buy a used TIVO of the same model on e-bay
    >>and swap drives? It appears that I can pick up the same model without
    >>any upgrades for $50-$60 and could just switch the drives around. Then
    >>when the unit comes back, assuming TIVO repairs or exchanges it, I could
    >> put my drives back in, hopefully saving my upgrade as well as the
    >>programing on it, though that is secondary at this point.
    >

    > Sounds reasonable. Although by the time you get the used unit, screw around
    > with swapping and sending it back, you could just as easily cannibalize it
    > for parts and save yourself the added shipping costs back to Tivo for
    > repairs. Granted, getting it fixed would get you a second unit. Albeit by
    > perpetrating a fraud in the process. But hey, it's extremely unlikely the
    > grunts refurbing these units will put any effort into actually checking the
    > legitimacy of the deal. And even if they did, what're they gonna bother
    > doing? Hold it hostage for the repair costs? You already rearranged the
    > parts so it's not like it'd matter.

    I think the point is that the failed unit has a lifetime sub, so getting
    it fixed would keep his subscription.

    Randy S.

    Randy S. wrote:
    > wkearney99 wrote:
    >
    >>> That is something I will have to check on this weekend. Would it make
    >>> sense if this is the case to buy a used TIVO of the same model on e-bay
    >>> and swap drives? It appears that I can pick up the same model without
    >>> any upgrades for $50-$60 and could just switch the drives around. Then
    >>> when the unit comes back, assuming TIVO repairs or exchanges it, I could
    >>> put my drives back in, hopefully saving my upgrade as well as the
    >>> programing on it, though that is secondary at this point.
    >>

    >> Sounds reasonable. Although by the time you get the used unit, screw
    >> around
    >> with swapping and sending it back, you could just as easily
    >> cannibalize it
    >> for parts and save yourself the added shipping costs back to Tivo for
    >> repairs. Granted, getting it fixed would get you a second unit.
    >> Albeit by
    >> perpetrating a fraud in the process. But hey, it's extremely unlikely
    >> the
    >> grunts refurbing these units will put any effort into actually
    >> checking the
    >> legitimacy of the deal. And even if they did, what're they gonna bother
    >> doing? Hold it hostage for the repair costs? You already rearranged the
    >> parts so it's not like it'd matter.
    >>

    > I think the point is that the failed unit has a lifetime sub, so getting
    > it fixed would keep his subscription.
    >
    > Randy S.

    Exactly. I have purchased a used (presumably dead) unit and will use
    that drive to send it in. When it comes back, I can put my drives back
    in it and save the other drive in case I ever need it again. All I
    really care about is the subscription, aside from that I wouldn't mind
    upgrading the unit anyway.

    Doug S.

    "Scott Nelson - Wash DC" <spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote in message
    > "GMAN" <glenzabr@nospam.xmission.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <91p5511jaiafajkhn6vtev5hqlt6185l9i@4ax.com>, Sean <none>
    > wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > You can transfer the lifetime so, even if it's fried, you can get a new one
    > and transfer it to the new one.

    By policy, the lifetime only transfers to a new machine if Tivo replaces your
    machine as part of an official repair. I believe they will repair modded
    units, however the repair will not be covered under the warranty. If you
    replace the machine yourself, you will have to convince a CSR to make a policy
    exception to transfer the lifetime service. I've heard of it happening
    before, but good luck if you attempt that route.

    Ken

    "Joe Smith" <joe@inwap.com> wrote in message

    > When a disk fails, or TiVo does not even see it, the symptoms are the Green
    > Screen Of Not Quite Death or the "Almost there..." gray screen.

    In PCs, if you hook the IDE cable up backwards, the system generally doesn't
    power up at all - fans will spin, hard drives will start whirring, but you get
    a blank screen.

    I'm not saying his IDE cable is backwards, but it's possible that a blown hard
    drive could cause symptoms similar to a mis-connected one.

    I would also try the different output options, in case one of the output
    connectors was fried but the others still work.

    Ken

    In article <d340n4$5rb$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>,
    Ken Alverson <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:
    >"Joe Smith" <joe@inwap.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> When a disk fails, or TiVo does not even see it, the symptoms are the Green
    >> Screen Of Not Quite Death or the "Almost there..." gray screen.
    >
    >In PCs, if you hook the IDE cable up backwards, the system generally doesn't
    >power up at all - fans will spin, hard drives will start whirring, but you get
    >a blank screen.

    Yes, but Tivos aren't PCs.

    >I'm not saying his IDE cable is backwards, but it's possible that a blown hard
    >drive could cause symptoms similar to a mis-connected one.

    But I think the first screens that come out of Tivo come out of ROM, so
    miswiring/dead hard drives shouldn't affect this.
    --
    mattack@vax.hanford.org

    <mattack@vax.hanford.org> wrote in message
    > In article <d340n4$5rb$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>,
    > Ken Alverson <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>In PCs, if you hook the IDE cable up backwards, the system generally doesn't
    >>power up at all - fans will spin, hard drives will start whirring, but you
    >>get
    >>a blank screen.
    >
    > Yes, but Tivos aren't PCs.

    They are not, however, they share a lot of architectural similarities.

    >>I'm not saying his IDE cable is backwards, but it's possible that a blown
    >>hard
    >>drive could cause symptoms similar to a mis-connected one.
    >
    > But I think the first screens that come out of Tivo come out of ROM, so
    > miswiring/dead hard drives shouldn't affect this.

    And the first screen on a PC comes out of the ROM BIOS, but a miswired hard
    drive prevents even that from appearing.

    It's probably not the hard drive, it's probably the power supply or the video
    output hardware. But I'm just throwing outpossibilities.

    Ken

    In article <d3645q$j48$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>,
    Ken Alverson <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:
    >It's probably not the hard drive, it's probably the power supply or the video
    >output hardware.

    Yeah, that's why I was suggesting he try the other video output(s) to
    see if he gets no video on them either. If he gets video on some outputs,
    that's better than nothing, and may be tenable for now.
    --
    mattack@vax.hanford.org

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:15:23 GMT, theyak <yak@dev.null> wrote:

    >In article <1155jk422m0hs85@corp.supernews.com>, dougs02
    >@spamsux.pobox.com says...
    >> Last night my electricity went out for a while. After the power came
    >> back on my TIVO would no longer work (yes, it is on a surge protector).
    >> Now all I get is a black screen. The green LED does come on, and I
    >> can feel a vibration, either the fan or HD. When I use the remote, the
    >> front panel LEDs respond, but nothing else happens, no sound or video.
    >> I have tried unplugging it and still the same thing, nothing at all. It
    >> is a series 2, with a second HD added.
    >
    >Ahh, but was the coax on a surge protector as well? And not the little
    >cheapies from walmart, either. They do nothing. My guess, it's fried.
    >

    >> Any ideas on A) what the problem is and B) what my option are. I am
    >> assuming that with the second drive added, TIVO won't do anything for
    >> it. I just purchased a lifetime subscription for this unit recently, so
    >> I really can't just replace it.
    >>

    >No, you've voided your warranty, so tivo won't do anything with it. And
    >yes, you'll have to replace it.

    Last summer, I lost a S1 Tivo; cable modem; firewall/router; and the
    NIC on my pc, after a lightning strike on my street burnt out the
    whole power line down my street. But the only things damaged were the
    things on the coax (or connected with cat 5).

    I would suspect a surge on the coax as well.

    -Martin O'B

    Until earthing path is identified, then one cannot assume
    how damage occurred. A destructive transient seeks earth via
    appliances. Only after the transient is passing through
    everything in that path, then something fails.

    For example, a properly installed coax is earthed where it
    enters the building. Transient incoming on AC electric wire;
    outgoing on coax. If both incoming and outgoing path does not
    exist, then no damage. For example, the clock has an incoming
    path - AC electric. But no outgoing path to earth. Therefore
    clock is not damaged.

    This assumes the coax was earthed - properly installed.
    Inspection starts with earthing. How does a destructive
    transient enter appliances via coax if the coax is earthed?
    It does not. Why? Earthing (and not protectors) are the
    protection.

    How to avoid future damage? Earth incoming AC electric
    wires (and all other utility wires). But if AC electric is
    earthed directly (like the coax), then no electricity comes
    from the utility. That is what a protector does. A 'whole
    house' protector is located where AC mains enter the building
    (ie circuit breaker box) to protect those coax appliances.
    The 'whole house' protector earths AC electric transient.

    Solution starts with facts. A destructive surge seeks earth
    ground. Protection is the single point earth ground. Every
    incoming utility wire must make a 'less than 10 foot'
    connection to the same earth ground used by all incoming
    utilities - the single point earth ground. Protectors being
    only as effective as their earthing. Details provided in my
    other post dated 5 Apr 2005.

    In article <425C73A5.B3563FFB@hotmail.com>, w_tom1@hotmail.com says...

    > Until earthing path is identified, then one cannot assume
    > how damage occurred. A destructive transient seeks earth via
    > appliances. Only after the transient is passing through
    > everything in that path, then something fails.
    >
    > For example, a properly installed coax is earthed where it
    > enters the building. Transient incoming on AC electric wire;
    > outgoing on coax. If both incoming and outgoing path does not
    > exist, then no damage. For example, the clock has an incoming
    > path - AC electric. But no outgoing path to earth. Therefore
    > clock is not damaged.
    >
    > This assumes the coax was earthed - properly installed.
    > Inspection starts with earthing. How does a destructive
    > transient enter appliances via coax if the coax is earthed?
    > It does not. Why? Earthing (and not protectors) are the
    > protection.
    >
    > How to avoid future damage? Earth incoming AC electric
    > wires (and all other utility wires). But if AC electric is
    > earthed directly (like the coax), then no electricity comes
    > from the utility. That is what a protector does. A 'whole
    > house' protector is located where AC mains enter the building
    > (ie circuit breaker box) to protect those coax appliances.
    > The 'whole house' protector earths AC electric transient.
    >
    > Solution starts with facts. A destructive surge seeks earth
    > ground. Protection is the single point earth ground. Every
    > incoming utility wire must make a 'less than 10 foot'
    > connection to the same earth ground used by all incoming
    > utilities - the single point earth ground. Protectors being
    > only as effective as their earthing. Details provided in my
    > other post dated 5 Apr 2005.

    Please post a scan of your electrician's license (I suppose a scan of
    your electrical engineering degree would work, too).

Ptv Tivo Tivo Power Outage