Microsoft Now Selling Surface Pro 3 with i3, i7 Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony8989

Distinguished
You're essentially paying a little more than twice the price of a laptop with equal specs plus a dedicated GPU. A %200+ increase of price because it's easier to carry around ? I can't wrap my head around these units.

Effectively losing serviceability and a dedicated GPU and incurring a higher cost .

jupebobpete

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I would spend the money on a laptop, but my wife cares enough about form factor that she finds the Surface Pro appealing. Her comparison is to the MacBook Air and its ilk. I wouldn't buy one but I see the market.

jupebobpete

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I would spend the money on a laptop, but my wife cares enough about form factor that she finds the Surface Pro appealing. Her comparison is to the MacBook Air and its ilk. I wouldn't buy one but I see the market.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Great tablet, but really $2000 for the top of the line model? I'd get dual gtx 780 tis, i7 4790K, Asus Formula VI for that price.
Don't forget to stop by Home Depot to buy a gas generator to power it and a couple hand-trucks to move everything so you can use it "on the go."

anthony8989

Distinguished
I would spend the money on a laptop, but my wife cares enough about form factor that she finds the Surface Pro appealing. Her comparison is to the MacBook Air and its ilk. I wouldn't buy one but I see the market

I could definitely see it's value if it were priced a little more modestly. Although I'm sure eventually they will be.

It's best to stick with the i5 due to thermal throttling of this device. The i7 isn't really worth the investment.

You don't like the cost for the form factor? Tough shit, this isn't the product for you. The Surface Pro 3 is an amazing device that can handle everything you need from a PC and more with the exception of gaming and heavy encoding. At least this isn't an iPad with very limited functionality. This device is perfect for students, people in the medical field, and people who travel a lot.

Honestly, I don't understand why someone would even make the statement that you could build a better rig for 2000, no-shit, this device is not for gaming, but for mobility and high utility. This device is for a certain market segment, and damn useful, and MS has done a fantastic job improving it every generation.

I suspect with the next generation of Intel integrated there will be a substantial improvement for energy savings, and increase for iGPU performance so that you can handle light gaming at 1080P, 60FPS easily. The Haswell chip is the main concern right now for this device.

The device lasts roughly 8 to 9 hours with general use, charges fast, and besides we are near outlets 90% of the time. It could probably last a long longer if it wasn't for the limitations of the Haswell chip.

Edit: Not sure why I have -3 votes for this. It does last 8 to 9 hours as stated which is quite good for "on the go."

I do agree that you could get a laptop with better specs for a lot less, but then you loose the whole point of the device. This isn't a device for gaming despite some claims, you do not need a dedicated GPU. You pay for the a PC in a tablet form factor capable of handling your tasks easily on the go with a pen and touchscreen. If I want to write down notes for my patient or take notes during a meeting it is perfect and portable.

Typical laptops are just to bulky and a pain to carry around.

You're essentially paying a little more than twice the price of a laptop with equal specs plus a dedicated GPU. A %200+ increase of price because it's easier to carry around ? I can't wrap my head around these units.

Effectively losing serviceability and a dedicated GPU and incurring a higher cost .

Part of that is the tech in me, but honestly, I had a SP2, and it was just so amazing. The SP3 is significantly better I think. I hate laptops with a passion, I barely used my old acer ultrabook because it was so unpleasant.

I'm still making sure I have 14 days to try this out when school starts though. I am somewhat cautious at least :p

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

This should be compared to MacBook Pros, and other ultrabooks. Not your general laptops. For what it is, it's a great device.

Although it is quite common in this category of devices, I have to point out how ridiculous it is to have to pay $400 for 256GB more storage (256GB->512GB), especially when you never actually gain that (the actual storage is much more likely to be 226GB->460GB).

The price is too high on the i7 model. One could just go and buy a convertible laptop / tablet for $900. Sure it may weigh a bit more but it'll be cheap and be able to do more. Most of the ultra-thin laptops are getting pretty light nowadays.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The i7 variants sound expensive and the comparisons to other laptops don't really pass muster, as you may as well compare them to desktop PCs. The nearest comparison is an ultrabook with a removable keyboard or a tablet with an attachable keyboard. The first doesn't exist, the second has a few like the Asus Transformer. That sold based not on being a tablet but having the feature. Comparing a SP3 against a gaming laptop therefore is dumb, when you can detach the keyboard from that laptop and still use it then come back again.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The price is too high on the i7 model. One could just go and buy a convertible laptop / tablet for $900. Sure it may weigh a bit more but it'll be cheap and be able to do more. Most of the ultra-thin laptops are getting pretty light nowadays.
People already pay more just to get things lighter/thinner, the iPad proves that. Also, what exactly can that $900 laptop do more of than an i7 SP3?

you could build quite the rig with 2k USD

Not to mention the fact that those are ULV CPUs. An U-series i7 is actually pretty much the same as a desktop i3.

i7 4500u: 2 cores, 4 threads, 1.8Ghz-3GHz, 4mb cache, 5 GT/s DMI
i3 4130: 2 cores, 4 threads, 3.4 GHz, 3mb cache, 5 GT/s DMI

ckaminsky

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
We have two i5 Surface Pro 3 in our office. Management loves them, although IT wishes they were more servicable (unable to add memory or swap/upgrade harddrive after initial order). Using miniDP > DVI adaptor is able to drive external monitor 1920x1080 extended while still its LCD with much higher resolution. Also tested a USB 3.0 powered LCD panel worked fine and so slim can easily carry along with Surface travelling.

anthony8989

Distinguished

Yeah that's like saying the 4k TV is not the right product for me because of its ridiculously inflated in price? And in 2-3 years when 4k drops and takes the place of 1080p as the resolution standard it magically becomes the 'right product' for me?

And what does the Surface Pro 3 replace - a Surface Pro 2? Because you can get the same tasks done on any high end tablet at half the price. It sure as hell doesn't replace a laptop at +200% cost and lacking a GPU.

Oh and yeah, dedicated GPU's can only be used for gaming, right? There's not editing applications that would greatly benefit from the added power of a d-GPU. You're right only gamers need them.

Paying over double the price for a single feature is stupid. It's thin give me double the money. This thing weighs just under 2 lbs a - $1000 MSI Notebook GP60 weighs 7 lbs with a charger. You could buy 2 of those notebooks leave one at home in the office take one with you in the satchel they give you for free. Have all your data saved in cloud storage. Oh but man, you gotta carry an extra 5 lbs over your shoulder. Phew - that's tough work. I'd pay $1000 to not have to lug this extra 5 lbs around. $400 for ~250gb more storage ? No problem. Who cares if laptops like the GP60 can take on a $150 Samsung 840 Evo 250gb - this Surface is light as hell! /sarcasm

I see this product making sense to the traveling sales-person and the like. Outside of that if you're paying these ridiculous prices for these units it's because you have the money to spare. Form factor becomes less relevant after +130%

BlasterX

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
you could build quite the rig with 2k USD

Not to mention the fact that those are ULV CPUs. An U-series i7 is actually pretty much the same as a desktop i3.

i7 4500u: 2 cores, 4 threads, 1.8Ghz-3GHz, 4mb cache, 5 GT/s DMI
i3 4130: 2 cores, 4 threads, 3.4 GHz, 3mb cache, 5 GT/s DMI
Desktops are not portable. Nuff said.

Of course it's not the right product for you exactly because it is expensive for that form factor. Making a tablet like that is going to be expensive no matter how you look at it with current technology. I5, 256GB, 8GB ram all in that super thin form factor running windows is an impressive thing. They also have to recoup for R&D for this device too which is also substantially expensive.

Yes, it is expensive, but that is a limitation out of MS control. It would be unprofitable to sell it 25%+ cheaper. Around 1200 for the i5/256GB/8GB Surface Pro 3 isn't that bad for what you are getting. A 128GB iPad air is practically 800 dollars, and for 100 more you can get a surface pro 3 capable of SO much more. Microsoft isn't trying to charge a premium here like Apple.

A surface Pro 3 basically fulfills the shoes of almost any computer with the exclusions of those meant for heavy gaming or ones meant for heavy computational power for encoding, rendering, and the likes.

Of course GPU's can be used for more than gaming, but if you need a GPU for your workload then you will not be using laptop. Only reason I said gaming was because that is what the majority may complain about.

Single feature? Mobility, versatility, touch screen, pen for writing, capability of running a full Windows OS more than adequately good with hundreds of applications to run not from an "APP STORE," nice high resolution screen, lightness.

You further miss the point of the device. It's for certain people like I've mentioned already. It's perfect for those who want a device that is all about work, and a little bit of play with the features I've mentioned above. Why would you want to carry around a 7 pound BULKY device all the time.

These devices will probably become cheaper in the future, but not with current technology right now. It is a very good device and worth the extra cash if you need the versatility of the device.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Personally I love the Surface pro series. I do wish that they were more modular, but otherwise it's a great product. I worked a job once where I had to give almost daily presentations (as an instructor) on the top floor of a six story building in China which had no elevator. Do that for a few months and then tell me the extra weight of a laptop doesn't bother you.....

Not to mention use on planes at airports and other sundry locations where weight and size do matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.