Cpu overclocking noob

JamesEd

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Okay so basically, i was messing about and i thought that it would be a fantastic idea to speed up my pc a bit and overclock my cpu (very stupid, yes i know).

I have a AMD Athlon X4 750K Black Edition 3.40GHz and decided to overclock it to 4.0ghz...
I did this and my pc performed pretty shit, no better than before and i did some research and realised i should have done that beforehand.

My cpu is now at its original 3.4 ghz but now has some extreme temperatures at times. it fluctuates from about 50 degrees celsius to about 88 D C. this is even when things like teamspeak and steam are up, but it only goes as high as 88 when a game is open also.

Bare in mind i also was inside my pc a few weeks prior when i changed my case and decided to remove my heatsink (i don't know why either) which revealed the thermal paste. Now i don't know whether this could be affecting the heat and whether i need to reapply the thermal paste..

So, my question is: Have i fucked my cpu and could it be the thermal paste. Also, what can i do to help?
Any suggestions are welcome.

I have learnt my lesson so no need to lecture me on that;)

Thanks in advance! (specs in profile if needed)

Jay Lavistria

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Everytime you take the cooler off the CPU you MUST reapply thermal paste.
Reapply it, and report back with another temperature scan.
If it's almost the same, then you have permanently damaged the CPU maybe.

mlga91

Admirable

^^This. Also its not wise to overclock with stock coolers, and, you need to take little steps 100MHz at the time, overclocking from 3.4GHz straight to 4GHz its not a good idea.

JamesEd

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for the response guys, however I can only get some paste in the next few days. I'll post a reply when I do.

EDIT: Just applied some thermal paste (after removing the old) and it seems to be doing better now.

Idle (on boot, nothing open): 50 DC
With steam+Ts: <=60 DC
" and with garrys mod open: 60-70

Might still be high, but better than the 88 i was getting prior to the new paste:)

Thanks for your help guys.

JamesEd

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Update: now averaging in the 70's

I also went into my bios and it looked really weird, it was off centre and the colour changed. Any ideas?

Jay Lavistria

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Theres your problem.
You overclocked with a stock fan.
Thats like Rule #2 of overclocking: Never ever use the Stock fan.
Now I'm SURE you damaged the chip.

I would suggest a Hyper 212 Evo, if your case can fit it.
Very cheap, yet effective. It's really tall. Check your case size.

Or a water cooler.
An H100i is roughtly 100-110 dollars.
If you dont have the right size for that radiator, theres always smaller ones (H90, H80, etc)

JamesEd

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Uh i checked the hyper 212 and it doesnt have the correct mount for my fm2+ socket.

I am hoping to soon be upgrading mobo+cpu around christmas time so do you have any suggestions of cooling options which will include the fm2+ socket and the am3+ (as i am hoping to get an AMD FX8350 along with the M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard).

Thanks for your help again:)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
You havent damaged it. You have just ruined the thermal paste.

The hyper 212 evo fits your socket. Get one of them, clean off all the old paste and refit with the new paste that comes with the 212 and you will be much cooler and be able to overclock.

JamesEd

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
So i think the evo is out as it is too big for my case, any other suggestions? what about this: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/vortex-plus/

Please suggest more:)

TRENDING THREADS