Another TiVo Flake Out

Last night, my second TiVo (a 40 hour 540) wouldn't let me cancel anything
until I restarted it (via the 3 thumbs-down plus enter). That seemed to fix
the problem.

Tonight when I got home, my first TiVo (an 80 hour 240) mis-behaved. When I
selected "Now Playing", I got a "blank screen". The oval for a program was
there and I could move it up and down, but everything else was blank.
Attempting to select anything just beeped.

When I went to System Information, the TiVo restarted itself before I even had
a chance to review it. This brought everything back.

I've been running 7.1a-02-2 since early March on both boxes. In all the time I
had my original TiVo (2 1/2 years), I never had any type of failure that I
didn't cause.

TiVo's Web Site is useless for searching on known problems (i.e., "We know
about this problem and are working on a fix") or reporting problem like this.
All of it's "Technical Support" is "How To for Dummies," not for real problems
and defect support. And my one attempt at reporting a problem via the
telephone was only marginally successful (I was able to recreate that problem
at will and explain to them what to do to cause it, but it took taking them
through it MULTIPLE TIMES before they got it).

What other type of malfunctions have others seen?
9 answers Last reply
More about tivo flake

    > I've been running 7.1a-02-2 since early March on both boxes. In all the
    time I
    > had my original TiVo (2 1/2 years), I never had any type of failure that I
    > didn't cause.

    "I didn't cause" raises concern. But hey, let's give you the benefit of the
    doubt. There's just a good a reason to think the drive's going bad in it
    and the software and/or database it needs to do things properly has gotten
    corrupted. That is, unless both machines have the same programming setup
    and exhibiting the same problems.

    The underlying OS is linux and it multitasks in any number of ways. One
    might be tempted to say fire up a serial console and start watching the
    syslog messages to actually 'prove' it's a OS-detectable error. Or to just
    pickup a new drive, copy the working Tivo onto it and see if that cures the
    ills. That would probably be faster than hacking shell access into it since
    you have to take the drive out anyway. Sure, it's tedious and potentinally
    "there ought to be a better way" but 9 times of 10 when something gets
    corrupted it's due to imminent hardware failure anyway.

    And if the drive doesn't cure it then you can at least re-use it in a PC for
    added storage.

    -Bill Kearney

    > >Comcast are awesome. I had internet via cable with AT&T for 30
    bucks a
    > >month until they were bought up by comcast, who sent me a notice
    that
    > >the new price would be almost 60 bucks a month. They're thieves,
    and I
    > >hope they all get ass-cancer.
    > >

    > How cruel of you. Have you no empathy for the millions of ass-cancer
    > victims??

    Absolutely. Just not the ones who work for Comcast. I hope their
    ass-cancer really, truly stings.

    > You are a pathetic excuse for a human being.

    Sean, Sean, Sean. What are we going to do with you? You can't
    extrapolate that I'm pathetic from my comments about ass-cancer. It
    would be like me extrapolating that you're a pimply, isolated virgin
    with a complete collection of T'Pau 12 inchers and a recently extended
    weekend curfew from your obsessive postings here.

    Oh, wait, that is what I've extrapolated. Feel free to consider me
    pathetic. But make sure you don't make any ass-cancer jokes, otherwise
    you'll have to consider yourself the same.

    3 - 2 - 1 - go Sean!

    > When I think of all the time and effort I've devoted to ass-cancer
    > walk-a-thons, golf tournaments and road races it makes me want
    > to puke.
    >
    > I hope the next time you see someone on the street wearing the
    > international symbol of ass-cancer victims supporters, the brown
    > ribbon, you stop and offer them your support.

    Making fun of ass cancer victims, Sean? I thought you were against
    that. You need to stick to one story, Sean, otherwise you look like a
    douchebag. Or maybe just a pathetic excuse for a human being. Your
    choice.

    > >I can only assume that there will be a hidden reaming involved with
    > >anything comcast sells. Don't go with them.
    > >

    > Reaming???? What kind of Ass fixation is this??

    I was just sticking to the theme. I think it's odd you would be
    bothered by anyone who has a fixation, given your prediliction for
    chiming in about poor Tivo coding and Comcast rimjobs.

    Oh oh, anal fixation again. Feel free to psychoanalize.

    Also, note that the large word in the previous sentence contains the
    word "anal."

    > >Besides, who would want to be associated with anything Sean gives
    the
    > >thumbs-up to?
    >
    > Thumbs-up? Sounds like you've had your thumbs-up your ass your
    > whole life.

    It's a Tivo group, Sean. Using the terms "thumbs up" seemed
    appropriate.

    > You disgust me.
    >
    > Sean

    Clearly I'm getting to you. Excellent. I can live with your disgust -
    you've displayed such lousy judgement in this group that it's kind of a
    compliment.

    I note you have nothing to say in response to my story about Comcast
    doubling the price of cable internet. Can you spin that in a positive
    way?

    I'm not expecting an answer here. This is just sport.

    > > You disgust me.
    > >
    > > Sean
    >
    > Clearly I'm getting to you. Excellent. I can live with your disgust -
    > you've displayed such lousy judgement in this group that it's kind of a
    > compliment.

    Nice work! Sean's a putz and deserve this sort of beating. It's a shame he
    puts such effort into hiding his actual identity. Must keep him from having
    his neighbors kick his ass for being such a jerk.

    > I'm not expecting an answer here. This is just sport.

    Indeed and nicely done.

    In article <VJ25e.469$RQ7.31@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    keith@laidbacksoftware.com (Keith E. Moe) wrote:

    > Last night, my second TiVo (a 40 hour 540) wouldn't let me cancel anything
    > until I restarted it (via the 3 thumbs-down plus enter). That seemed to fix
    > the problem.
    >
    > Tonight when I got home, my first TiVo (an 80 hour 240) mis-behaved. When I
    > selected "Now Playing", I got a "blank screen". The oval for a program was
    > there and I could move it up and down, but everything else was blank.
    > Attempting to select anything just beeped.
    >
    > When I went to System Information, the TiVo restarted itself before I even had
    > a chance to review it. This brought everything back.
    >
    > I've been running 7.1a-02-2 since early March on both boxes. In all the time I
    > had my original TiVo (2 1/2 years), I never had any type of failure that I
    > didn't cause.

    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that your hard drives are
    beginning to go.

    wkearney99 wrote:
    > > > You disgust me.
    > > >
    > > > Sean
    > >
    > > Clearly I'm getting to you. Excellent. I can live with your
    disgust -
    > > you've displayed such lousy judgement in this group that it's kind
    of a
    > > compliment.
    >
    > Nice work! Sean's a putz and deserve this sort of beating. It's a
    shame he
    > puts such effort into hiding his actual identity. Must keep him from
    having
    > his neighbors kick his ass for being such a jerk.
    >
    > > I'm not expecting an answer here. This is just sport.
    >
    > Indeed and nicely done.

    Hmm. Cheers!

    On 8 Apr 2005 14:51:35 -0700, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

    <long boring drivel typed by laxitivecation with a fish hook in his
    mouth snipped>

    >Oh oh, anal fixation again. Feel free to psychoanalize.
    >
    >Also, note that the large word in the previous sentence contains the
    >word "anal."

    Which large word is that Mr. Mensa chapter president?

    The one that's so large you can't spell it correctly??

    Geeze what a dillweed. Normally I wouldn't stoop to a spelling
    (f)lame but this just cries out for one. I guess when you lie down
    with dumbass dogs you'll pick up a few dumbass fleas.

    <more drivel snipped>

    >I'm not expecting an answer here. This is just sport.

    You got that right.

    Sean

    On 10 Apr 2005 22:55:26 -0700, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

    >> > Clearly I'm getting to you. Excellent. I can live with your
    >disgust -
    >> > you've displayed such lousy judgement in this group that it's kind
    >of a
    >> > compliment.
    >>
    >> Nice work! Sean's a putz and deserve this sort of beating. It's a
    >shame he
    >> puts such effort into hiding his actual identity. Must keep him from
    >having
    >> his neighbors kick his ass for being such a jerk.
    >>
    >> > I'm not expecting an answer here. This is just sport.
    >>
    >> Indeed and nicely done.
    >

    >Hmm. Cheers!

    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

    Or as in the movie 16 candles, you are the king of the dipshits.

    Congratulations.

    Sean

    "Sean" <none> wrote in message
    > On 7 Apr 2005 14:49:40 -0700, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

    <<<snip>. They're thieves, and I
    >>hope they all get ass-cancer.
    >>

    > How cruel of you. Have you no empathy for the millions of ass-cancer
    > victims??
    >
    > You are a pathetic excuse for a human being.
    >
    > When I think of all the time and effort I've devoted to ass-cancer
    > walk-a-thons, golf tournaments and road races it makes me want
    > to puke.
    >
    > I hope the next time you see someone on the street wearing the
    > international symbol of ass-cancer victims supporters, the brown
    > ribbon, you stop and offer them your support.
    >

    >>I can only assume that there will be a hidden reaming involved with
    >>anything comcast sells. Don't go with them.
    >>

    > Reaming???? What kind of Ass fixation is this??
    >

    >>Besides, who would want to be associated with anything Sean gives the
    >>thumbs-up to?
    >
    > Thumbs-up? Sounds like you've had your thumbs-up your ass your
    > whole life.
    >
    > You disgust me.
    >
    > Sean

    LOL! OK.. I don't ever agree with Sean, but give the man his due.. that was
    pretty good!

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:25:20 GMT, "C what I mean" <no
    spam@frontiernet.net> wrote:

    >"Sean" <none> wrote in message
    >> On 7 Apr 2005 14:49:40 -0700, relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    ><<<snip>. They're thieves, and I
    >>>hope they all get ass-cancer.
    >>>

    >> How cruel of you. Have you no empathy for the millions of ass-cancer
    >> victims??
    >>
    >> You are a pathetic excuse for a human being.
    >>
    >> When I think of all the time and effort I've devoted to ass-cancer
    >> walk-a-thons, golf tournaments and road races it makes me want
    >> to puke.
    >>
    >> I hope the next time you see someone on the street wearing the
    >> international symbol of ass-cancer victims supporters, the brown
    >> ribbon, you stop and offer them your support.
    >>

    >>>I can only assume that there will be a hidden reaming involved with
    >>>anything comcast sells. Don't go with them.
    >>>

    >> Reaming???? What kind of Ass fixation is this??
    >>

    >>>Besides, who would want to be associated with anything Sean gives the
    >>>thumbs-up to?
    >>
    >> Thumbs-up? Sounds like you've had your thumbs-up your ass your
    >> whole life.
    >>
    >> You disgust me.
    >>
    >> Sean
    >
    >LOL! OK.. I don't ever agree with Sean, but give the man his due.. that was
    >pretty good!

    I know there are a few people who read these posts that aren't
    humorless dolts.

    But it is very few.

    Sean

Ptv Tivo Tivo Video Product