Why I never wanted a TiVo...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/29/BUGUBBVUN51.DTL&type=tech

TiVo Inc. began testing interactive advertising tools over the weekend
as it looks to appease companies wary of users' ability to skip over

The Alviso company confirmed late Monday that it has released the
first in a series of advertising features to a random and limited
number of subscribers to the digital-video recorder service. The first
test feature, a tag, pops up on the screen when viewers are
fast-forwarding through an advertisement.

If viewers press the thumbs-up or select button during the half-
second the tag is displayed, they will be redirected to a menu that
leads to more information about the advertised product. TiVo said it
is working with only one advertiser, a movie studio.

The interactive features would give advertisers information on
consumer interest. Interactive advertising was part of TiVo's
distribution deal with Comcast announced earlier this month.

The tools will be tested on Series2 TiVo owners only, but once
completed could be applied to Series1 and DirecTiVo customers.
Subscribers can't opt out of the feature, but they can ignore the
tags.
9 answers Last reply
More about wanted tivo

    Coppernob <alexnorton@despammed.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >The Alviso company confirmed late Monday that it has released the
    >first in a series of advertising features to a random and limited
    >number of subscribers to the digital-video recorder service. The first
    >test feature, a tag, pops up on the screen when viewers are
    >fast-forwarding through an advertisement.

    Whoopee - so there is an ad that pops up over... an ad. Real
    intrusive.

    And if you use 30 second skip, you don't see either ad.

    Molehill -> Mountain.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    You know... A lot of folks laughed at the VIC, I mean 5K of RAM and
    things like that... However the first REAL computer I ever used was an
    IBM 1400 classs.. it had 4K and a good amount of that was "Upgrade"

    That VIC was one amazing box. And the 64 more so, I have a few spares
    lying about still

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    "pjs" <pendejo@_pjsdesigns.com> wrote:

    > Personally, I find the RTV user interface to be extremely simple to
    > use. Everything is so apparent, it was a long time before I bothered
    > to RTFM. After I did, though, it was even better.

    Tell me about it. Beyond "wish lists", I completely forgot that the
    ReplayTV has Component Video outputs and Progressive Scan options; nothing
    like that on TiVo.

    Now that I'm looking at EDTV Plasmas, this just makes the RTV all the
    more appealing.

    --
    Jeff

    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

    In article <Xns962FEA3BDCB0jeffsmessages@216.196.97.142>,
    Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > Now that I'm looking at EDTV Plasmas, this just makes the RTV all the
    > more appealing.

    http://www.lgusa.com/plasmadvr

    TIVO _needs_ a wishlist... to list all the Replay features it wishes it
    had. Maybe it's just me but I think TIVO is to DVRs what AOL is to the
    internet... fine for the huddled masses but grossly inadequate to a
    thinking user.

    From:Jeff Lindstrom
    j_r_lind@adelphia.net

    > "pjs" <pendejo@_pjsdesigns.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Personally, I find the RTV user interface to be extremely simple to
    >> use. Everything is so apparent, it was a long time before I bothered
    >> to RTFM. After I did, though, it was even better.
    >
    > Tell me about it. Beyond "wish lists", I completely forgot that the
    > ReplayTV has Component Video outputs and Progressive Scan options;
    > nothing like that on TiVo.
    >
    > Now that I'm looking at EDTV Plasmas, this just makes the RTV all the
    > more appealing.
    >

    > --
    > Jeff

    > NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:46:35 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >You know... A lot of folks laughed at the VIC, I mean 5K of RAM and
    >things like that... However the first REAL computer I ever used was an
    >IBM 1400 classs.. it had 4K and a good amount of that was "Upgrade"
    >
    >That VIC was one amazing box. And the 64 more so, I have a few spares
    >lying about still

    Yes it was. Slow disk drive, though.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    > http://www.lgusa.com/plasmadvr

    (the link is to an integrated HDTV Display and Recorder)

    Just about everything I watch these days is not available in HDTV (SciFi
    among them) and the HDTV signals I'm seeing on EDTV look all but
    indistinguishable from HDTV plasmas.

    If I go with an EDTV Plasma (like the Panasonic TH-42PA25U/P), I can keep
    my RTV in operation for a good while longer.

    --
    Jeff

    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

    I keep hearing how slow it was... Ok, here is how slow it was... From
    power off, Ok, starting with POWER OFF, I flipped the switch and NINE
    seconds, yes Seconds later it had booted up, loaded VIDTEX (The software
    package I used to contact Compuserve information service) and was
    dialing Compuserve. NINE SECONDS. Takes longer than that for my PC's
    to finish POSTing (Power On Self Test in case anyone wonders what it
    means, I just found out last week)

    Now... You want SLOW... Ok Here is SLOW The network we used consisted
    of a computer, IBM PC 80286 I think, this computer had a bunch of
    daughter cards, Each card was a pair of additional computers, yes,
    80286's, and we used remote monitors and keyboards (KVM extension cables)

    The program was LOTUS 1-2-3 I worked with about half a dozen files in
    round robin format. So... I created a macro (Alt-X, short for eXchange)
    to save the current file, and load the next one in sequence.

    I'd hit ALT-X, get up, pick up my coffee cup, walk the length of the
    office, visit the little room with the plumbing, Wash hands, pick up cup
    again and go up to the big room with the plumbing (kitchen one floor up)
    fill cup with coffee, back down stairs, full length of office and set
    down cup and sit back down,,, And wait for the ready prompt cause it was
    not yet ready.

    Now that.. IS SLOW

    --

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 01:16:40 -0500, "Kenn" <youbastards@spark.org>
    wrote:

    >You never bought a Tivo in the past because of a feature that didn't exist
    >until just recently?

    Nope, because (and it is no longer the case) Replay had features that
    Tivos can only wish for: like no ads, commercial advance and
    poopli....

Ptv Replaytv Tivo Digital Video ReplayTV