i think i'll need a mental home soon I CANT PICK A GPU :(

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
The moment i look at a model like a 290x i start reading then find out the bottom tier are worthless as they are hot as hell and make more noise than a lawn mower. Then to find one that has that issue addressed i might as well get a 780ti so i started at 770 want to spend about 400 at most i my main game play is shooters and im building a system and its only with these gpus where the problem persists and really a scam as they get the advertised speed by factory OC the HELL out of the card not to mention if you want to do that as well. The reviews keep saying had to return the card cuz it crashed once or twice or if there lucky the 3 one worked. Can someone knowledgeable please help i really don't want to be paying "ROG money".
"ROG MATRIX-R9290X-P-4GD5 Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card"

Then i came across this review which was finally done by a pro: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/07/23/gtx_780_oc_6gb_vs_r9_290x_4gb_overclocked_at_4k/11#.U9xTEfn-QuH

P.S. if police come and see my brains all over the wall it was not suicide it was the proverbial mind blown. Gotta be a well cooled car thats fast (oh and when prices drop id like to buy another)
Lets just say $400-450 ish and best bang/cooling/$ for the buck. I've been doing HW for last 3 months and all i got is 770, 780 or ti / 290 290x
Thank you.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
HardOCP is one of the best places to trust a review from. My 290X runs cool unless I stress test it with Furmark. The GTX 780 Ti is a bit faster for a bit more money. If you're gaming at 1080p, you can easily live with the GTX 770 or R9-280X. I have yet to find a brand that was any more or less quality that another and I've built a lot of PCs over the years for me and others. If you are looking for a manufacturer recommendation, you almost can never go wrong with EVGA. They have the best warranty too.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
You are definitely looking at the high end. An OC'd 780ti will give you what you are seeking. I have to warn you that the 880 is coming out soon though and it should have a lower price and similar performance to a 780ti making the 290/x less of a value leader.

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

I get u dutch but im trying to buy a board that when time passes and price drops i will get SLI or AMD version. For today im sure 770 is enough but trying to find best deal(bang for the buck) above the 770, the problem is it appears to me that 290x is simply getting its performance by OC the board to death ive read many review where ppl had to RMA 3-4 times and i surmise OC is out the question on the 290x on the other hand not looking to spend 780ti money but its looking like if you buy ATI above 290 you need a great aftermarket cooling like the asus rog and then your close to the TI.