Time for new category?

Just a suggestion, and I'm sure it's not the first time it's been brought up, but with the explosion of PC cooling system components as really more of a sub-section of PC hardware, maybe it's time to give computer cooling systems their own category under computer hardware in the forums. In my short time as a Tom's member I've already noticed that a disproportionate number of threads in CPU's, overclocking and components are directly addressed to cooling system components.

Most of these questions are not directly related to the categories they are posted in with the obvious exception that overclocking is affected by cooling and cooling applies to the cpu function. However, cooling in and of itself, is NOT overclocking. And CPU's are attached to the motherboard, but you wouldn't put them in the same category. Anyhow, just though I'd throw that out there as a suggestion in the event the powers that be should ever happen to consider adding a category, this might be a good one. Thanks.

I agree. Or even a Mod's and Cooling section would be a good way to get these conversations, which is what they generally turn into as

questions about cooling are usually directed more towards preference and recommendation than problem solving, out of the other categories.

And as a plus, cooling quite often does go hand in hand with case design and case mods. That would be a decent category.

Who would need to sign off on something like this? Community manager, majority of moderators, board of directors, Obama? I'm willing to bet it would quickly become one of the most popular categories. Anyhow, show of hands? Just kidding again. I know, I know, I'm shutting up.

our community manager jpishgar would need to be involved to decide yes/no, perhaps with input from the team.

then, the paid staff would have to get involved to create badge images and to code the site.

he normally sifts through this section so is bound to see this and pop in eventually.

Maybe something like this? Just an idea.

badge.jpg

greenbadge.jpg

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there all,

I'm very much in favor of this. Separating out a major section and drawing in the threads associated could take a bit of development time and work, so it isn't something that can happen in the short term, but I'll put it on the queue for attention. It's certainly something we need, and I've noticed the fit in CPUs doesn't work quite as well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

-JP