It's GOTTA be faster than this...

So I have finally figured out how to extract video (with TivoToGo) and make
actual DVDs with what I've extracted. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with
512 MB of RAM running XP Pro. And the rendering is taking FOREVER. I'm gonna
post the steps I'm taking to do this, in the hopes that someone might be
able direct me to a faster way to do it:

So, for a DVD with six programs totalling just over three hours of material:

1) Extract with TivoDesktop and TivoToGo.
2) Convert to .MPG with GraphEdit (using Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 demuxer and
Moonlight M71 Muxer, as advised on Evilnet directions)
3) Make DVD with Nero 6. Edit commercials out of programs in Nero.
4) Burn DVD in Nero. (THIS is where it gets slow. Rendering took three and a
half hours.)

The results are good, but is there a better way to get to Step 3 that won't
take so much time in Step 4? Or is this just the "price of doing business"
in the DVD mastering world?

Thanks!
--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

    In article <xNadnRyKR9QzZdTfRVn-qg@comcast.com>, clemon79
    @NOSPAMcomcast.net says...
    > So I have finally figured out how to extract video (with TivoToGo) and make
    > actual DVDs with what I've extracted. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with
    > 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro. And the rendering is taking FOREVER. I'm gonna
    > post the steps I'm taking to do this, in the hopes that someone might be
    > able direct me to a faster way to do it:
    >
    > So, for a DVD with six programs totalling just over three hours of material:
    >
    > 1) Extract with TivoDesktop and TivoToGo.
    > 2) Convert to .MPG with GraphEdit (using Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 demuxer and
    > Moonlight M71 Muxer, as advised on Evilnet directions)
    > 3) Make DVD with Nero 6. Edit commercials out of programs in Nero.
    > 4) Burn DVD in Nero. (THIS is where it gets slow. Rendering took three and a
    > half hours.)
    >
    > The results are good, but is there a better way to get to Step 3 that won't
    > take so much time in Step 4? Or is this just the "price of doing business"
    > in the DVD mastering world?
    >
    > Thanks!

    With Dvd Lab you can make dvds with svcd format mpegs. It might not work
    in older settop players, but they play in everything I have. The tivo
    files are already in svcd resolution so the encoding time would be
    greatly reduced.

    But yea, 3 hours is pretty good for a whole disc.

    "theyak" <yak@dev.null> wrote in message
    > With Dvd Lab you can make dvds with svcd format mpegs. It might not work
    > in older settop players, but they play in everything I have.

    Yeah, what I was asking was more if there is way to speed up the process of
    making just "normal" DVDs, as opposed to using other video formats.

    > But yea, 3 hours is pretty good for a whole disc.

    This sounds more like the answer I'm looking for. Thanks!

    Anyone else have any input?
    --
    Chris Lemon
    clemon79@comcast.net

    "Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > So I have finally figured out how to extract video (with TivoToGo) and
    > make actual DVDs with what I've extracted. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    > with 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro. And the rendering is taking FOREVER.
    > I'm gonna post the steps I'm taking to do this, in the hopes that someone
    > might be able direct me to a faster way to do it:
    >
    > So, for a DVD with six programs totalling just over three hours of
    > material:
    >
    > 1) Extract with TivoDesktop and TivoToGo.
    > 2) Convert to .MPG with GraphEdit (using Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 demuxer
    > and Moonlight M71 Muxer, as advised on Evilnet directions)
    > 3) Make DVD with Nero 6. Edit commercials out of programs in Nero.
    > 4) Burn DVD in Nero. (THIS is where it gets slow. Rendering took three and
    > a half hours.)
    >
    > The results are good, but is there a better way to get to Step 3 that
    > won't take so much time in Step 4? Or is this just the "price of doing
    > business" in the DVD mastering world?

    Hack your Tivo and extract the Ty files directly. The video format will
    already be correct so no "converting" is necessary. There is still some
    transcoding to be done, but none of this "3 hours to convert" BS.

    You also get better quality.

    "uray" <remove-uray@att.net> wrote in message
    > Hack your Tivo and extract the Ty files directly. The video format will
    > already be correct so no "converting" is necessary. There is still some
    > transcoding to be done, but none of this "3 hours to convert" BS.

    I have no desire to hack my Tivo. I have tried many a time to wade through
    all of the muck to figure out how to do it, and frankly I have better things
    to do with my time.

    So is the answer to my original question then "no"?
    --
    Chris Lemon
    clemon79@comcast.net

    In article <5NH2e.488169$w62.486335@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    remove-uray@att.net says...
    > "Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > So I have finally figured out how to extract video (with TivoToGo) and
    > > make actual DVDs with what I've extracted. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    > > with 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro. And the rendering is taking FOREVER.
    > > I'm gonna post the steps I'm taking to do this, in the hopes that someone
    > > might be able direct me to a faster way to do it:
    > >
    > > So, for a DVD with six programs totalling just over three hours of
    > > material:
    > >
    > > 1) Extract with TivoDesktop and TivoToGo.
    > > 2) Convert to .MPG with GraphEdit (using Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 demuxer
    > > and Moonlight M71 Muxer, as advised on Evilnet directions)
    > > 3) Make DVD with Nero 6. Edit commercials out of programs in Nero.
    > > 4) Burn DVD in Nero. (THIS is where it gets slow. Rendering took three and
    > > a half hours.)
    > >
    > > The results are good, but is there a better way to get to Step 3 that
    > > won't take so much time in Step 4? Or is this just the "price of doing
    > > business" in the DVD mastering world?
    >
    > Hack your Tivo and extract the Ty files directly. The video format will
    > already be correct so no "converting" is necessary. There is still some
    > transcoding to be done, but none of this "3 hours to convert" BS.
    >
    > You also get better quality.

    Do you still have to backlevel the software on a S2 to do that?
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    "Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    > In article <5NH2e.488169$w62.486335@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    > remove-uray@att.net says...
    >> "Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > So I have finally figured out how to extract video (with TivoToGo) and
    >> > make actual DVDs with what I've extracted. I have an AMD Athlon XP
    >> > 2500+
    >> > with 512 MB of RAM running XP Pro. And the rendering is taking FOREVER.
    >> > I'm gonna post the steps I'm taking to do this, in the hopes that
    >> > someone
    >> > might be able direct me to a faster way to do it:
    >> >
    >> > So, for a DVD with six programs totalling just over three hours of
    >> > material:
    >> >
    >> > 1) Extract with TivoDesktop and TivoToGo.
    >> > 2) Convert to .MPG with GraphEdit (using Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2
    >> > demuxer
    >> > and Moonlight M71 Muxer, as advised on Evilnet directions)
    >> > 3) Make DVD with Nero 6. Edit commercials out of programs in Nero.
    >> > 4) Burn DVD in Nero. (THIS is where it gets slow. Rendering took three
    >> > and
    >> > a half hours.)
    >> >
    >> > The results are good, but is there a better way to get to Step 3 that
    >> > won't take so much time in Step 4? Or is this just the "price of doing
    >> > business" in the DVD mastering world?
    >>
    >> Hack your Tivo and extract the Ty files directly. The video format will
    >> already be correct so no "converting" is necessary. There is still some
    >> transcoding to be done, but none of this "3 hours to convert" BS.
    >>
    >> You also get better quality.
    >>

    > Do you still have to backlevel the software on a S2 to do that?

    No, although hacks for the 6.2 version are just coming out. I believe most
    of the hacks do work by now.

    wkearney99 wrote:
    > > I have no desire to hack my Tivo. I have tried many a time to wade
    through
    > > all of the muck to figure out how to do it, and frankly I have
    better
    > things
    > > to do with my time.
    >
    > TANSTAAAFL. The hacks are trivial enough to perform. They do take
    some
    > time and effort but they're not all that complicated.

    This morning I extracted the first 4 episodes of Deadwood to my PC,
    plus the making of Season 2. I trimmed the head and tails (I have
    automatic padding on everything because of endpadplus), turned them
    into .vobs, grabbed a still frame for a background with WinDVD,
    authored the disc with tytools, and burned it with Nero. The whole
    process, including the burn, took less than an hour, and I have 4.5
    hours of material on the disc ready to go.

    My download speed was about 2meg per second. I installed USB 2.0
    drivers. I'm running 4.01b on an HDVR2. I hacked it with
    killhdinitrd, and the whole hacking process (once I finished the
    reading, which isn't trivial) took about 2 hours.

    I would recommend going the hacking route.

    > I have no desire to hack my Tivo. I have tried many a time to wade through
    > all of the muck to figure out how to do it, and frankly I have better things
    > to do with my time.
    >
    > So is the answer to my original question then "no"?

    Transcoding video content is processor intensive. There will be some
    variations in duration due to your processor speed/type, amt of RAM,
    etc., it's not going to be a snappy process anytime soon, at least not
    for a PC. Dedicated equipment doing *one* type of conversion might be
    able to be quicker, but it wouldn't be very flexible.

    Randy S.

    Chris Lemon wrote:

    > Fine. Then tell me EXACTLY what I should read. This is where we run
    into a
    > wall, because the people who know how to do it are too l33t to help
    out
    > someone who doesn't, they just tell you to wade through 40-kajillion
    > threads, which I'm not gonna do when it's perfectly reasonable to
    request a
    > set of steps, especially when I have people goose-stepping back and
    forth
    > telling me how "easy" it is.

    Perhaps you could go ahead and wade through the threads taking notes
    along the way. Then you could try a few things out to finalize the
    list and post it for all those who need a list.

    You would be a hero to many.

    Chris Lemon wrote:
    > <relaxification@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Then why did you DEMAND to know EXACTLY how to do it, and call the
    >>crowd who already figured it out "l33t"?

    <snip>

    > And instead y'all decided to
    > preen about your hacked Tivos instead, which wasn't EVEN what I was asking.
    > It's roughly akin to asking what simple things you can do to improve your
    > gas milage, and being told to do custom machining to your engine.

    Well, don't go lumping this entire group into "y'all". There is a
    schism on the subject within this group as well, notably Jack Zwick
    (strenously ;-) ) on your side and several (who you've become acquainted
    with all ready ;-) ) with on the other.

    Many of us are in the gray area in-between. I agree with some of your
    assertions, but not all. A lot of hacker-types (as in "white-hat", not
    the media demonized kind) who enjoy messing with this stuff do see the
    hack as "easy" but I think they're definition is a bit different and
    have a different perspective. There's easy in the mental area like you
    are thinking (step 1. insert tab a into tab b. Step 2 . etc.). Then
    there's easy in the physical and dollar sense, i.e. all you need is a
    screwdriver and some free software. If you have a good background in
    the area and enjoy doing the work, time is cheap. But if you don't fit
    those two conditions, the time and effort involved can make a task like
    this rather daunting and certainly far from easy.

    I think that's where the disconnect lies. Whenever mentioning these
    options I always try to temper the advice, as in "If you are technically
    inclined and enjoy tinkering you should consider . . . " if you get my
    point. I think some posters underemphasize this point. The point that
    I think you are making is that for someone who doesn't look at it as
    pleasant, telling someone to hack their tivo just to speed up the
    transfer process (now that it is available without hacking) is probably
    not good advice. Certainly it should be mentioned as an alternative,
    but it should be accompanied with some realistic expectations.

    The other thing is that a guide *could* probably be put together but
    there are a couple obstacles. First, if it became *too* easy it might
    become so widespread that Tivo might be forced to put a stop to it
    (particularly if the broadcasters caught wind of it, note how Replay tv
    had to cut features due to pressure). Second (and I offer this from
    experience) developers usually *hate* documenting because it's *not* fun.

    >>Also, if you are an adult, using the term "l33t" makes you seem like an
    >>idiot.
    >

    > It saddens me that people can't pick up on a simple literary conceit of
    > referring to someone in the same language they use to refer to themselves,
    > to demonstrate how silly the reference (and via that, the person)is.

    I have to completely agree with you here, I don't think you deserve this
    criticism. Chris is trying to point out that (at least in his
    perception) the posts in this area share characteristics with the
    community that uses "l33t" speak. Chris is hardly the first person to
    use a groups own vocabulary to describe the group.

    Randy S.

    Randy S. wrote:
    > Chris Lemon wrote:
    > > <relaxification@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Then why did you DEMAND to know EXACTLY how to do it, and call the
    > >>crowd who already figured it out "l33t"?
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > And instead y'all decided to
    > > preen about your hacked Tivos instead, which wasn't EVEN what I was
    asking.
    > > It's roughly akin to asking what simple things you can do to
    improve your
    > > gas milage, and being told to do custom machining to your engine.
    >
    > Well, don't go lumping this entire group into "y'all". There is a
    > schism on the subject within this group as well, notably Jack Zwick
    > (strenously ;-) ) on your side and several (who you've become
    acquainted
    > with all ready ;-) ) with on the other.

    I guess I fall into "the other." Really, my frustration with all of
    this comes from my dealings with Zwick. I responded to the OP, happy
    to help him out if he wanted help. His response was not, "sure, I'm
    interested, what do I do?" or "no, I don't want to hack, but thanks."
    Instead I got a demand to tell him how to do it EXACTLY the way he
    wants me to. If you search under my name you'll see I've already done
    that in this group. The only person unable to follow my pretty
    explicit instructions was Jack Z.

> [...]

    fun.

    > >>Also, if you are an adult, using the term "l33t" makes you seem
    like an
    > >>idiot.
    > >

    > > It saddens me that people can't pick up on a simple literary
    conceit of
    > > referring to someone in the same language they use to refer to
    themselves,
    > > to demonstrate how silly the reference (and via that, the
    person)is.

    > I have to completely agree with you here, I don't think you deserve
    this
    > criticism. Chris is trying to point out that (at least in his
    > perception) the posts in this area share characteristics with the
    > community that uses "l33t" speak. Chris is hardly the first person
    > use a groups own vocabulary to describe the group.

    Fair enough. I'm not a hacker - I'm a TV producer. I dislike
    hacker-speak as much as I dislike bands that use the letter K instead
    of C in their names.

    > Randy S.

    Witness this:

    (read the whole thread - the step by step is in there in its entirety)

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.video.ptv.tivo/browse_frm/thread/a1c940137f72734f/f49ac42ef070a7d1?q=relaxification#f49ac42ef070a7d1

    > Witness this:
    >
    > (read the whole thread - the step by step is in there in its entirety)
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.video.ptv.tivo/browse_frm/thread/a1c940137f72734f/f49ac42ef070a7d1?q=relaxification#f49ac42ef070a7d1

    I must have missed this thread. This is far more reasonable to ask someone
    to read through than the usual 400 dealdatabase posts. I will take a look at
    this when I have a little time and see if it really does tell me what I need
    to know.

    My thing is, it seems like it's less work to just stay legal and watch the
    process speed up as Tivo brings out USB 2.0 support and what-not. I like
    hacking as much as the next guy, but I'd rather be USING my Tivo than going
    to the trouble of taking it apart and hoping I don't blow up the filesystem
    because I know just enough Linux to be dangerous.

    Thanks. :)

    --
    Chris Lemon
    clemon79@comcast.net

    Chris Lemon wrote:

    > My thing is, it seems like it's less work to just stay legal and
    watch the
    > process speed up as Tivo brings out USB 2.0 support and what-not. I
    like
    > hacking as much as the next guy, but I'd rather be USING my Tivo than
    going
    > to the trouble of taking it apart and hoping I don't blow up the
    filesystem
    > because I know just enough Linux to be dangerous.

    As long as you know your trade-offs, that's a logical decision every
    person can make themselves.

    Going to USB 2.0 isn't going to be a big deal for you - your transfer
    will maybe speed up 2X by going to USB 2.0. But, if you spend some
    time to learn how to hack your box, that can increase your transfers by
    up to 10X. It really does make quite a difference so if you aren't
    going to be copying many shows off your TiVo, the education might not
    be worth it to you. However, if you think you'll do this often, it
    will actually save you time in the end to learn/hack your TiVo to make
    the faster transfers and you'll save tons of time in the back-end.

    There really isn't a downside to hacking your TiVo - the only thing you
    lose is time. How much time depends greatly on the individual doing
    the mod. It can be less than a few hours but upwards to a few days.
    By the time you get to actually doing something dangerous, you will
    have learned enough by reading the articles/threads/instructions to
    actually do the right thing, or at least not an irriversibly bad thing.

    in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Chris Lemon wrote:
    >
    >>My thing is, it seems like it's less work to just stay legal and watch the
    >>process speed up as Tivo brings out USB 2.0 support and what-not. I like
    >>hacking as much as the next guy, but I'd rather be USING my Tivo than going
    >>to the trouble of taking it apart and hoping I don't blow up the filesystem
    >>because I know just enough Linux to be dangerous.
    >

    > As long as you know your trade-offs, that's a logical decision every
    > person can make themselves.

    Now ain't that the truth!

    I don't think the hack would necessarily ever been developed if TTG had
    been there all along (that's a guess, not a certainty), but since before
    TTG you *couldn't* transfer shows at all, the hacker community stepped
    up. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. Now it's more
    for convenience than anything else, which probably wouldn't have been
    enough of a motivation. Though the other modifications do add some
    additional impetus.

    > Going to USB 2.0 isn't going to be a big deal for you - your transfer
    > will maybe speed up 2X by going to USB 2.0. But, if you spend some
    > time to learn how to hack your box, that can increase your transfers by
    > up to 10X. It really does make quite a difference so if you aren't
    > going to be copying many shows off your TiVo, the education might not
    > be worth it to you. However, if you think you'll do this often, it
    > will actually save you time in the end to learn/hack your TiVo to make
    > the faster transfers and you'll save tons of time in the back-end.
    >
    > There really isn't a downside to hacking your TiVo - the only thing you
    > lose is time. How much time depends greatly on the individual doing
    > the mod. It can be less than a few hours but upwards to a few days.
    > By the time you get to actually doing something dangerous, you will
    > have learned enough by reading the articles/threads/instructions to
    > actually do the right thing, or at least not an irriversibly bad thing.

    Well, I don't know, but as I get older I'm starting to realize I don't
    have the *time* to learn everything I want to, and I've had to start
    prioritizing. There are definitely some things I've had to pass up
    because I couldn't manage to fit them in. In that respect, hacking my
    Tivo becomes a lower priority with TTG available. Before that I was
    gearing up to do it, now I find I just don't have the motivation. Of
    course I don't transfer many shows, someone who did would probably end
    up with a different result.

    OTOH, I *did* have the motivation to figure out how to burn DVD's
    without having to purchase Sonic MyDVD (thanks to help from archived
    threads here!).

    Randy S.

    This is also worth a look:

    http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php

    > This is also worth a look:
    >
    > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php

    And herein lies yet another problem.

    I have a SA Series 2. There is stuff out there for the DirectTivos. There is
    TONS out there for the (eminently more hackable) Series 1's.

    So I ask "does this apply to an SA Series 2 as well", and the answer is
    "well, yes, kinda, mostly." Which does me NO good.

    The above poster, who "just Wikied it"? The article on "Tivo hacking" in
    Wikipedia has ZIPPO on the Series 2 SA.

    It's interesting reading, and I appreciate the link, but I'm really no
    closer to knowing what I need to do than I was a month ago.
    --

    > <relaxification@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > This is also worth a look:
    > >
    > > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php
    >
    > And herein lies yet another problem.
    >
    > I have a SA Series 2. There is stuff out there for the DirectTivos. There
    is
    > TONS out there for the (eminently more hackable) Series 1's.
    >
    > So I ask "does this apply to an SA Series 2 as well", and the answer is
    > "well, yes, kinda, mostly." Which does me NO good.
    >
    > The above poster, who "just Wikied it"? The article on "Tivo hacking" in
    > Wikipedia has ZIPPO on the Series 2 SA.
    >
    > It's interesting reading, and I appreciate the link, but I'm really no
    > closer to knowing what I need to do than I was a month ago.

    Your original post wasn't clear about which model Tivo you have. Try here:

    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/

    This is a great website for hacking all Tivos, and its contributors include
    the people who actually write the hacks. I'd recommend using the website
    search function first, but if you ask concise questions, you should be able
    to get clear answers.

    Chris Lemon wrote:
    > <relaxification@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > This is also worth a look:
    > >
    > > http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_os4hackrid.php
    >
    > And herein lies yet another problem.
    >
    > I have a SA Series 2. There is stuff out there for the DirectTivos.
    There is
    > TONS out there for the (eminently more hackable) Series 1's.
    >
    > So I ask "does this apply to an SA Series 2 as well", and the answer
    is
    > "well, yes, kinda, mostly." Which does me NO good.
    >
    > The above poster, who "just Wikied it"? The article on "Tivo hacking"
    in
    > Wikipedia has ZIPPO on the Series 2 SA.
    >
    > It's interesting reading, and I appreciate the link, but I'm really
    no
    > closer to knowing what I need to do than I was a month ago.

    I see. You didn't say what model you had in the original post. The
    procedure is pretty much the same, from what I understand, but requires
    fewer steps (assuming yours is a non-RID box.)

    I guess I assumed you had a Dtivo because the .ty files you pull from
    it are actually good quality and worth archiving (they are exactly the
    same as live TV) whereas SA tivos, even at best quality, look very
    mpeggy. But I assumed when I shouldn't have.

    I just did a search on DDB and, as it turns out, my post here (linked
    earlier) and the one I just posted will both work for you. Ignore the
    stuff about RID unless yours is a RID box. Conversely, make sure you
    follow the RID stuff if you have a RID box (look for a sticker on the
    back with a RID number. If it's not there, it isn't.)

    Assuming it's non-RID my post to this group (all of it - I added some
    stuff later on) will hack your box and should take a couple of hours
    max.

    > And herein lies yet another problem.
    >
    > I have a SA Series 2. There is stuff out there for the DirectTivos. There is
    > TONS out there for the (eminently more hackable) Series 1's.
    >
    > So I ask "does this apply to an SA Series 2 as well", and the answer is
    > "well, yes, kinda, mostly." Which does me NO good.
    >
    > The above poster, who "just Wikied it"? The article on "Tivo hacking" in
    > Wikipedia has ZIPPO on the Series 2 SA.
    >
    > It's interesting reading, and I appreciate the link, but I'm really no
    > closer to knowing what I need to do than I was a month ago.

    And herein lies another difficulty, it would be really hard to write a
    manual that would cover all circumstances. Think of all the possible
    permutations of the end-users PC, DVR model, modded configuration,
    software version, desired hacks, etc. If you understand the mechanics
    of the modifications this becomes less important, but of course it takes
    much more work on the end user.

    Randy S.

    > Your original post wasn't clear about which model Tivo you have. Try here:
    >
    > http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/
    >
    > This is a great website for hacking all Tivos, and its contributors include
    > the people who actually write the hacks. I'd recommend using the website
    > search function first, but if you ask concise questions, you should be able
    > to get clear answers.

    And now we come full circle! ;-).

    Randy S.

    > I see. You didn't say what model you had in the original post. The
    > procedure is pretty much the same, from what I understand, but requires
    > fewer steps (assuming yours is a non-RID box.)

    The unit is a Model TCD240080, or so says the sticker on the side of the box
    it came in. Would you be able to determine if that's RID or not without me
    having to pull my Tivo box out of the stack?

    And how about the instructions contained here:

    http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html

    Are those useful to me? That's about as concise and laid-out as I have seen
    it so far.

    Thank you for being helpful.
    --
    Chris Lemon
    clemon79@comcast.net

    "Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

    >> Your original post wasn't clear about which model Tivo you have. Try
    >> here:
    >>
    >> http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/
    >>
    >> This is a great website for hacking all Tivos, and its contributors
    >> include
    >> the people who actually write the hacks. I'd recommend using the website
    >> search function first, but if you ask concise questions, you should be
    >> able
    >> to get clear answers.
    >
    > And now we come full circle! ;-).

    Well, I don't know what else to tell you. Hacking a Tivo isn't that hard,
    the information is there, as well as people willing to explain it (I had a
    number of questions answered). You're just going to have to invest a little
    effort.

    > Randy S.

    > Well, I don't know what else to tell you. Hacking a Tivo isn't that hard,
    > the information is there, as well as people willing to explain it (I had a
    > number of questions answered). You're just going to have to invest a little
    > effort.

    I didn't say it was or wasn't. But if you look at the entire thread,
    this is where this discussion basically started. The OP knows about DDB.

    Randy S.

    Chris Lemon wrote:
    > <relaxification@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I see. You didn't say what model you had in the original post.
    The
    > > procedure is pretty much the same, from what I understand, but
    requires
    > > fewer steps (assuming yours is a non-RID box.)
    >
    > The unit is a Model TCD240080, or so says the sticker on the side of
    the box
    > it came in. Would you be able to determine if that's RID or not
    without me
    > having to pull my Tivo box out of the stack?
    >
    > And how about the instructions contained here:
    >
    > http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html
    >
    > Are those useful to me? That's about as concise and laid-out as I
    have seen
    > it so far.
    >
    > Thank you for being helpful.
    > --
    > Chris Lemon
    > clemon79@comcast.net
    > http://fredsmythe.com
    > EFNet: FredSmyth

    That guide looks excellent. I tried a search to see if you had a RID
    unit, but came up with nothing. It's old enough that I doubt you do,
    though. This guide is good in that it puts all the RID-only stuff in
    red. If you decide to do the upgrade you can pull the box, see if you
    have a RID sticker on the back, and go from there. From what I recall
    the only RID issue is the dssapp stuff - you can skip it if your box is
    non-RID.

    Either way you've got to pull the box, right?

    Good luck.

    Chris Lemon (clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > The unit is a Model TCD240080, or so says the sticker on the side of the box
    > it came in. Would you be able to determine if that's RID or not without me
    > having to pull my Tivo box out of the stack?

    Sure, just go to the "System Information" screen and if there are *three*
    lines of serial numbers (one labeled "Receiver ID"), you have an RID
    receiver. The other two lines are always the access card number and the
    TiVo service number.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    > Sure, just go to the "System Information" screen and if there are *three*
    > lines of serial numbers (one labeled "Receiver ID"), you have an RID
    > receiver. The other two lines are always the access card number and the
    > TiVo service number.

    All I show is the service number. But Relaxification makes a fine point - if
    I'm gonna try it, I have to pull the box out of the stack and I can
    double-confirm the lack of a RID sticker then.

    Thanks, folks. For once I feel like I got some genuinely useful information
    out of this.
    --
    Chris Lemon
    clemon79@comcast.net