Buy i7-4930k now, or wait for [strike]Broadwell[/strike] Haswell-E?

Buy i7-4930k now, or wait for [strike]Broadwell[/strike] Haswll-E?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haswell-E (5930K)

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

frzburn

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I'm building a new PC, and based on what's currently available, I've settled on the i7-4930k CPU.

However, a few weeks back, I took a look at Intel's upcoming CPUs ([strike]Broadwell[/strike] Haswell-E), and I saw somewhere that it was to be released around mid-September. I would wait for them to come out... [strike]but then today I saw that they pushed back the release to the end of the year. Or maybe it's always been so, I just didn't get good information.

I can't find any reliable information on those upcoming CPUs (# of cores, clock speed, cache). I'm wondering if it's even worth the wait.[/strike]

Do you think it's worth the wait?
Any opinions?

Thanks

Ytyoussef

Distinguished
It isn't broadwell that's being released in mid-september, and broadwell isn't what you're looking for instead of the 4930k, it's Haswell-E, and you would be looking at the 5930k.

The Broadwell is predicted to be released in 2015. So if you are in a rush, then the i7-4930K will be good. And if you want the Broadwell in a years time, then you should have the money for it. So it's your choice now. :)

frzburn

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

You're right! I'm so confused about all the architectures and chips.... Thanks for putting me back on track. 5930K looks to be what I'm looking for.

frzburn

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Yes, indeed. September I'm ready to wait, but December, not so much. Not a problem now that you cleared it up for me.

I'll hold back my compulsion to buy new hardware a little more longer!

Thank you very much for your time!