Is ReplayTV's ethernet ability 2 way?

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Does anybody know if ReplayTV's ethernet lets you offload programs to the
PC AND from the PC back on when you want to watch them? Basically, I'm
wondering if I can use it as a video capture and video out for the PC -
record to it off a VCR, send it to the PC and edit, then play it on the
ReplayTV when I want.
--
_____________________________________________________
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
38 answers Last reply
More about replaytv ethernet ability
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    You want DVArchive. It's free at www.dvarchive.org. The PC will appear
    as an RTV and let you playback through any networked RTV. It does a lot
    more too - you'll like it!

    From:see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid
    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid

    > Does anybody know if ReplayTV's ethernet lets you offload programs to
    > the PC AND from the PC back on when you want to watch them?
    > Basically, I'm wondering if I can use it as a video capture and video
    > out for the PC - record to it off a VCR, send it to the PC and edit,
    > then play it on the ReplayTV when I want.
    > --
    > _____________________________________________________
    > For email response, or CC, please
    > mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real
    > address :)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
    > Does anybody know if ReplayTV's ethernet lets you offload programs to the
    > PC AND from the PC back on when you want to watch them? Basically, I'm
    > wondering if I can use it as a video capture and video out for the PC -
    > record to it off a VCR, send it to the PC and edit, then play it on the
    > ReplayTV when I want.
    > --
    > _____________________________________________________
    > For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
    > Yeah, it's really a real address :)

    Depends on the PC. I have 3 PC's which can run DVArchive (A virtual
    replay for your PC www.dvarchive.org ) 2 of them actually do run it (I
    have not spent enough time with the linux box, it's my fault it's not
    running there)

    The Laptop I'm typing this on is a 366Mhz P2 running win-98 and is not
    fast enough to serve shows back to the replay off it's external HD.

    Plug the very same external HD into the Win-xp machine and I can, and
    have many times, watched shows that have already been downloaded to the
    PC on the replay. (I usually download to the external HD cause the
    Desktop and do it faster and the laptop can then watch it farther from
    home, L Ike 16 miles just now)

    So it depends on the computer, I'd guess 500Mhz is minimum with win98
    and about a gig with XP
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:14:36 -0800,
    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

    >Does anybody know if ReplayTV's ethernet lets you offload programs to the
    >PC AND from the PC back on when you want to watch them? Basically, I'm
    >wondering if I can use it as a video capture and video out for the PC -
    >record to it off a VCR, send it to the PC and edit, then play it on the
    >ReplayTV when I want.

    DVArchive (http://www.dvarchive.org/) will allow you to transfer shows
    from the Replay to a PC.

    There is no easy way to copy them back to the Replay, but if you copy
    (not export) then to DVA, you can watch them from a Replay
    (streaming).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Does anybody know if ReplayTV's ethernet lets you offload programs to the
    > PC AND from the PC back on when you want to watch them? Basically, I'm
    > wondering if I can use it as a video capture and video out for the PC -
    > record to it off a VCR, send it to the PC and edit, then play it on the
    > ReplayTV when I want.

    If you edit the movie, then you can't watch it on an RTV:
    http://www.dvarchive.org/dvarchive_faqs/videoPlayback_1.shtml#08143655

    However, once you download it to a PC, your PC can act like another
    replay unit, if you leave the DVArchive server running. That means you
    can watch the downloaded shows directly from the PC on your RTV, without
    having to upload them.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    ST wrote:

    > If you edit the movie, then you can't watch it on an RTV:
    > http://www.dvarchive.org/dvarchive_faqs/videoPlayback_1.shtml#08143655

    I'm not sure about that. check RTV tools, you just might be able to do
    it. But, please note, Though I do have the software, I've yet to try
    doing anything with it. (Priority is kind of far down the list)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote in news:5cIUd.44925$EL5.6191@trnddc05:

    >> Does anybody know if ReplayTV's ethernet lets you offload programs to
    >> the PC AND from the PC back on when you want to watch them?
    >> Basically, I'm wondering if I can use it as a video capture and video
    >> out for the PC - record to it off a VCR, send it to the PC and edit,
    >> then play it on the ReplayTV when I want.
    >
    > If you edit the movie, then you can't watch it on an RTV:
    > http://www.dvarchive.org/dvarchive_faqs/videoPlayback_1.shtml#08143655
    >
    > However, once you download it to a PC, your PC can act like another
    > replay unit, if you leave the DVArchive server running. That means
    > you can watch the downloaded shows directly from the PC on your RTV,
    > without having to upload them.

    For a primer on the software and technique, go to
    http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/426/Play_Your_PCs_Video_Files_o
    n_ReplayTV.html.

    Works just fine. I've done my own DVD rips, downloaded dozens of BBC
    documentaries, downloaded the SuperBowl commercials, downloaded Carl
    Sagan's Cosmos series, etc.

    rampage
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > There is no easy way to copy them back to the Replay, but if you copy
    > (not export) then to DVA, you can watch them from a Replay
    > (streaming).

    So long as the computer is fast enough (My laptop is not, but my other
    computers are) you just leave DVA running, jump up to the top of the
    replay guide and select a different replay.

    In my house the replays are "Basement" and "Living Room" but the list
    will also show a "Main". Main is the 1.8Ghz Win-xp box and it serves up
    the same as basement
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:52:16 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> There is no easy way to copy them back to the Replay, but if you copy
    >> (not export) then to DVA, you can watch them from a Replay
    >> (streaming).
    >
    >So long as the computer is fast enough (My laptop is not, but my other
    >computers are) you just leave DVA running, jump up to the top of the
    >replay guide and select a different replay.
    >
    >In my house the replays are "Basement" and "Living Room" but the list
    >will also show a "Main". Main is the 1.8Ghz Win-xp box and it serves up
    >the same as basement

    Yes, it does that. You can select a show on that Replay (the one
    that's actually DVArchive) and it streams (not copies) the show just
    like a real Replay.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    John in Detroit wrote:

    > So long as the computer is fast enough (My laptop is not, but my other
    > computers are) you just leave DVA running, jump up to the top of the
    > replay guide and select a different replay.

    Or use the QuickSkip button to cycle (quickly skip?) though your
    multiple ReplayTV's.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

    > Does anybody know if ReplayTV's ethernet lets you offload programs to
    > the PC AND from the PC back on when you want to watch them?
    > Basically, I'm wondering if I can use it as a video capture and video
    > out for the PC - record to it off a VCR, send it to the PC and edit,
    > then play it on the ReplayTV when I want.

    DVArchive will let you transfer shows to your PC, but not the other way
    (that ability was never added to DVArchive).

    However, you can play back shows on your ReplayTV over the network from
    your PC. Operation is all but identical to shows on your RTV (the Jump
    forward and Jump Back are not quite seamless). You can still record to
    VCR.


    --
    Jeff

    ===================================================================
    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Jeff Lindstrom wrote:

    > DVArchive will let you transfer shows to your PC, but not the other way
    > (that ability was never added to DVArchive).

    Actually... DVArchive has no restrictions. I've transfered a show from
    BASEMENT (A 5504) to MAIN (A windows xp box running DVA) and then to
    LAPTOP (A windows 98se box running DVA)

    What does not have the ability to do it is the Replay. The only way the
    replay has to "Get" a show from a networked replay is via the "Stream"
    function, it does not transfer.

    Though in theory you could re-record it, there would be generation loss
    and may well be other "Issues" as well

    But the restriction is on the replay, it's simply not an option to
    "Move" a show TO the replay, And DVA's "move" is only TO DVA not from,
    simply because the replays are only set up to RECEIVE from the internet,
    not from intranet (Local LAN)

    Though, in theory, it should be possible to write a program which would
    serve a show up to a 50xx, Just not to a 55xx
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:18:07 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Jeff Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    >> DVArchive will let you transfer shows to your PC, but not the other way
    >> (that ability was never added to DVArchive).
    >
    >Actually... DVArchive has no restrictions. I've transfered a show from
    >BASEMENT (A 5504) to MAIN (A windows xp box running DVA) and then to
    >LAPTOP (A windows 98se box running DVA)
    >
    >What does not have the ability to do it is the Replay. The only way the
    >replay has to "Get" a show from a networked replay is via the "Stream"
    >function, it does not transfer.
    >
    >Though in theory you could re-record it, there would be generation loss
    >and may well be other "Issues" as well
    >
    >But the restriction is on the replay, it's simply not an option to
    >"Move" a show TO the replay, And DVA's "move" is only TO DVA not from,
    >simply because the replays are only set up to RECEIVE from the internet,
    >not from intranet (Local LAN)
    >
    >Though, in theory, it should be possible to write a program which would
    >serve a show up to a 50xx, Just not to a 55xx

    The "move to DVA" is streaming as far as the Replay is concerned. DVA
    captures it.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > Jeff Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    >> DVArchive will let you transfer shows to your PC, but not the other
    >> way
    >> (that ability was never added to DVArchive).
    >
    > Actually... DVArchive has no restrictions. I've transfered a show
    > from BASEMENT (A 5504) to MAIN (A windows xp box running DVA) and then
    > to LAPTOP (A windows 98se box running DVA)
    >
    > What does not have the ability to do it is the Replay. The only way
    > the replay has to "Get" a show from a networked replay is via the
    > "Stream" function, it does not transfer.

    I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines, but it
    can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as a limitation of
    DVArchive (also, I remember a comment by the author about how he didn't
    write sharing into the network driver).

    I haven't tried it on a LAN (I only have one), but I wasn't aware of any
    restrictions.


    --
    Jeff

    ===================================================================
    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <Xns962AADA933A4jeffsmessages@216.196.97.142>,
    Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines, but it
    > can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as a limitation of
    > DVArchive

    No, something's broken.

    Your 5040 should easily be able to stream shows from DVArchive.

    As for MOVING the show FROM DVArchive OVER TO the 5040 such that it
    resides on the 5040, you've never been able to do that.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:02:06 -0600, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Jeff Lindstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> DVArchive will let you transfer shows to your PC, but not the other
    >>> way
    >>> (that ability was never added to DVArchive).
    >>
    >> Actually... DVArchive has no restrictions. I've transfered a show
    >> from BASEMENT (A 5504) to MAIN (A windows xp box running DVA) and then
    >> to LAPTOP (A windows 98se box running DVA)
    >>
    >> What does not have the ability to do it is the Replay. The only way
    >> the replay has to "Get" a show from a networked replay is via the
    >> "Stream" function, it does not transfer.
    >
    > I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines, but it
    >can't receive a show from DVArchive,

    Can the other Replay? You may have a configuration problem on the
    Replay that's not working (or, less likely, a firewall problem on the
    DVA machine). Of course, that Replay could still be defective.

    > so I take that as a limitation of
    >DVArchive (also, I remember a comment by the author about how he didn't
    >write sharing into the network driver).
    >

    Can you install DVA on more than one computer? This would allow you to
    try streaming shows from one DVA to the other. I have, and the
    transfers worked fine. That's using the same code as when you do to
    stream to a Replay.

    The author's comment (above) probably referred to IVS, which is
    something very different from streaming, as is used above. Copying
    from Replay to DVA is streaming (which DVA captures), not IVS.

    > I haven't tried it on a LAN (I only have one), but I wasn't aware of any
    >restrictions.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    >
    > The "move to DVA" is streaming as far as the Replay is concerned. DVA
    > captures it.

    Yes, I know... However the Replay itself does not have the ability to
    capture a return stream, Thus the restriction or limitation is not in
    DVA but in the Replay program. That is my point. DVA can do it, and
    does between different copies of DVA, but the replay itself can not.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:04:43 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >
    >
    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> The "move to DVA" is streaming as far as the Replay is concerned. DVA
    >> captures it.
    >
    >Yes, I know... However the Replay itself does not have the ability to
    >capture a return stream,

    And is seems unlikely they will provide one.

    > Thus the restriction or limitation is not in
    >DVA but in the Replay program. That is my point. DVA can do it, and
    >does between different copies of DVA, but the replay itself can not.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Jeff Lindstrom wrote:

    >
    > I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines, but it
    > can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as a limitation of
    > DVArchive (also, I remember a comment by the author about how he didn't
    > write sharing into the network driver).
    >
    > I haven't tried it on a LAN (I only have one), but I wasn't aware of any
    > restrictions.

    I think we are talking about two different things here. The 50xx treats
    internet (External to your house) and intranet (For purposes of this
    discussion this means "internal to your house" differently.

    Yes, DVA does not have IVS built in, However it can stream a show to the
    5xxx I've done it many times... The show does not MOVE however, just
    plays. My 50xx also can not "receive" shows from my 55xx (and the other
    way around) however they both can play shows recorded on the other
    machine, IN fact, as I type this I'm watching a show recorded on the
    50xx which is playing on the 55xx.. I could just as easily "Move" the
    show to MAIN (Which is a windows xp computer) and watch it on either
    replay... About the only thing that does not work well is streaming
    to/from my laptop.. And that's a limit on the laptop.

    It is my understanding, though I do not have the "hack" yet, that there
    is a "hack" for DVA that will allow IVS...

    But I've never actually seen it.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:10:38 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >
    >
    >Jeff Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines, but it
    >> can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as a limitation of
    >> DVArchive (also, I remember a comment by the author about how he didn't
    >> write sharing into the network driver).
    >>
    >> I haven't tried it on a LAN (I only have one), but I wasn't aware of any
    >> restrictions.
    >
    >I think we are talking about two different things here. The 50xx treats
    >internet (External to your house) and intranet (For purposes of this
    >discussion this means "internal to your house" differently.
    >
    >Yes, DVA does not have IVS built in, However it can stream a show to the
    >5xxx I've done it many times... The show does not MOVE however, just
    >plays. My 50xx also can not "receive" shows from my 55xx (and the other
    >way around) however they both can play shows recorded on the other
    >machine, IN fact, as I type this I'm watching a show recorded on the
    >50xx which is playing on the 55xx.. I could just as easily "Move" the
    >show to MAIN (Which is a windows xp computer) and watch it on either
    >replay... About the only thing that does not work well is streaming
    >to/from my laptop.. And that's a limit on the laptop.
    >
    >It is my understanding, though I do not have the "hack" yet, that there
    >is a "hack" for DVA that will allow IVS...
    >
    >But I've never actually seen it.

    I haven't either (although I do know of a hack to allow it on 55xx).
    IVS incolves the Replay server (streaming does not), and they would be
    able to detect your action.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:28:05 -0600, Mark Lloyd
    <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    >I haven't either (although I do know of a hack to allow it on 55xx).
    >IVS incolves the Replay server (streaming does not), and they would be
    >able to detect your action.

    I am surprised someone hasn't figured how to trick the RTV into
    thinking it is talking to the IVS server. All it sees is coming down
    that CAT5. I don't really see the incentive tho as long as you can
    stream from your PC.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:28:05 -0600, Mark Lloyd
    > <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I haven't either (although I do know of a hack to allow it on 55xx).
    >>IVS incolves the Replay server (streaming does not), and they would be
    >>able to detect your action.
    >
    >
    > I am surprised someone hasn't figured how to trick the RTV into
    > thinking it is talking to the IVS server. All it sees is coming down
    > that CAT5. I don't really see the incentive tho as long as you can
    > stream from your PC.

    They have. Poopli is evolving toward it. Originally Poopli was a
    database compiled from myreplaytv.com. Now using the Poopli updater,
    myreplaytv.com is no longer needed. Eventually poopli will be an entity
    unto itself and no longer require Replay's servers.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    > In article <Xns962AADA933A4jeffsmessages@216.196.97.142>,
    > Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines,
    >> but it can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as
    >> a limitation of DVArchive

    > No, something's broken.
    >
    > Your 5040 should easily be able to stream shows from DVArchive.
    >
    > As for MOVING the show FROM DVArchive OVER TO the 5040 such that it
    > resides on the 5040, you've never been able to do that.

    When I said 'receive', I meant 'receive', not 'stream'. My 5040 can
    stream shows just fine from DVArchive on my 850 MHz PIII.

    It cannot *receive* shows from DVArchive (as it can from other 5xxx
    machines) because DVArchive cannot *send* shows. I take that as a
    limitation of DVArchive.


    --
    Jeff

    ===================================================================
    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:14:36 -0600, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <Xns962AADA933A4jeffsmessages@216.196.97.142>,
    >> Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines,
    >>> but it can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as
    >>> a limitation of DVArchive
    >
    >> No, something's broken.
    >>
    >> Your 5040 should easily be able to stream shows from DVArchive.
    >>
    >> As for MOVING the show FROM DVArchive OVER TO the 5040 such that it
    >> resides on the 5040, you've never been able to do that.
    >
    > When I said 'receive', I meant 'receive', not 'stream'. My 5040 can
    >stream shows just fine from DVArchive on my 850 MHz PIII.
    >
    > It cannot *receive* shows from DVArchive (as it can from other 5xxx
    >machines) because DVArchive cannot *send* shows. I take that as a
    >limitation of DVArchive.

    OK, some people do mix up those terms. "Receiving" (not "streaming")
    is using IVS, which DVA does not support. This is a limitation of DVA,
    probably for good reason. IVS requires the Replay server, which would
    allow them to see that you're doig something you're not supposed to.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:27:21 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

    >On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:28:05 -0600, Mark Lloyd
    ><mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't either (although I do know of a hack to allow it on 55xx).
    >>IVS incolves the Replay server (streaming does not), and they would be
    >>able to detect your action.
    >
    >I am surprised someone hasn't figured how to trick the RTV into
    >thinking it is talking to the IVS server.

    That should be possible, maybe using a technique similar to the way
    WiRNS allows you to get schedules from an alternate source.

    > All it sees is coming down
    >that CAT5. I don't really see the incentive tho as long as you can
    >stream from your PC.

    I've never wanted to put shows on the Replay from a computer, at least
    not after I found out how to stream them.

    BTW, streaming can (at least somewhat) do away with the need to put a
    larger drive in the Replay.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Tell me more about the Poopli updater,,, How is it supposed to work and
    what does it run on

    Tony D wrote:
    > gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:28:05 -0600, Mark Lloyd
    >> <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I haven't either (although I do know of a hack to allow it on 55xx).
    >>> IVS incolves the Replay server (streaming does not), and they would be
    >>> able to detect your action.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I am surprised someone hasn't figured how to trick the RTV into
    >> thinking it is talking to the IVS server. All it sees is coming down
    >> that CAT5. I don't really see the incentive tho as long as you can
    >> stream from your PC.
    >
    >
    > They have. Poopli is evolving toward it. Originally Poopli was a
    > database compiled from myreplaytv.com. Now using the Poopli updater,
    > myreplaytv.com is no longer needed. Eventually poopli will be an entity
    > unto itself and no longer require Replay's servers.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  26. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    John in Detroit wrote:
    > Tell me more about the Poopli updater,,, How is it supposed to work and
    > what does it run on
    >
    It's a pc app which collects guide info from all of your replays and
    updates the poopli database every 4 hours. The newest version of the
    updater allows you to send shows from your pc. You no longer have to go
    to the Replay which has the show and add the requester to the address
    book and send. Just highlight the show on the particular Replay on your
    pc, hit send, put in the IVS number and you're done. Very nice if you do
    a lot of sends.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:58:24 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >John in Detroit wrote:
    >> Tell me more about the Poopli updater,,, How is it supposed to work and
    >> what does it run on
    >>
    >It's a pc app which collects guide info from all of your replays and
    >updates the poopli database every 4 hours. The newest version of the
    >updater allows you to send shows from your pc. You no longer have to go
    >to the Replay which has the show and add the requester to the address
    >book and send. Just highlight the show on the particular Replay on your
    >pc, hit send, put in the IVS number and you're done. Very nice if you do
    >a lot of sends.

    Sounds like a big improvement.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  28. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:14:36 -0600, Jeff Lindstrom
    > <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>In article <Xns962AADA933A4jeffsmessages@216.196.97.142>,
    >>> Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines,
    >>>> but it can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as
    >>>> a limitation of DVArchive
    >>
    >>>No, something's broken.
    >>>
    >>>Your 5040 should easily be able to stream shows from DVArchive.
    >>>
    >>>As for MOVING the show FROM DVArchive OVER TO the 5040 such that it
    >>>resides on the 5040, you've never been able to do that.
    >>
    >> When I said 'receive', I meant 'receive', not 'stream'. My 5040 can
    >>stream shows just fine from DVArchive on my 850 MHz PIII.
    >>
    >> It cannot *receive* shows from DVArchive (as it can from other 5xxx
    >>machines) because DVArchive cannot *send* shows. I take that as a
    >>limitation of DVArchive.
    >
    >
    > OK, some people do mix up those terms. "Receiving" (not "streaming")
    > is using IVS, which DVA does not support. This is a limitation of DVA,
    > probably for good reason. IVS requires the Replay server, which would
    > allow them to see that you're doig something you're not supposed to.
    >

    The reason for the Replay servers is to keep track of the Replay units
    in an internet world where your ip address at the beginning of the send
    may be different from the end. Future editions of Poopli will not
    require the DNNA servers. I doubt DNNA monitors anything regarding
    transfers. If they did, you would think when the cleaning people pull
    out the extension cord running the IVS servers on Friday night and bring
    down IVS, somebody would have it rebooted before Monday morning.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Ok, it won't run on either of my PC's 98 box is missing a DLL and the
    xp box... I forget, illegal instruction I think

    Tony D wrote:
    > John in Detroit wrote:
    >
    >> Tell me more about the Poopli updater,,, How is it supposed to work
    >> and what does it run on
    >>
    > It's a pc app which collects guide info from all of your replays and
    > updates the poopli database every 4 hours. The newest version of the
    > updater allows you to send shows from your pc. You no longer have to go
    > to the Replay which has the show and add the requester to the address
    > book and send. Just highlight the show on the particular Replay on your
    > pc, hit send, put in the IVS number and you're done. Very nice if you do
    > a lot of sends.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  30. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    John in Detroit wrote:

    > Ok, it won't run on either of my PC's 98 box is missing a DLL and the
    > xp box... I forget, illegal instruction I think

    You need .NET.
    For the XP box, simply boot from the XP disk and run a repair. If you
    have upgraded to SP2 and your original disk is not SP2, you cannot run a
    Repair. You CAN use your disk and the full SP2 file to create a NEW XP
    bootable CD with SP2 that can run the repair however.

    For the 98 box, simply run the install again. I doubt if the 98 box
    would be good for anything Replay though.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    John in Detroit wrote:

    > Ok, it won't run on either of my PC's 98 box is missing a DLL and the
    > xp box... I forget, illegal instruction I think

    It wouldn't work for me either, but I think after a little research you
    need to install the .NET runtime from MS. Should be available from
    Windows update. Haven't tried it yet, though.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    ST wrote:
    > John in Detroit wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, it won't run on either of my PC's 98 box is missing a DLL and the
    >> xp box... I forget, illegal instruction I think
    >
    >
    > It wouldn't work for me either, but I think after a little research you
    > need to install the .NET runtime from MS. Should be available from
    > Windows update. Haven't tried it yet, though.

    Yes, you need .NET
  33. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:35:12 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:14:36 -0600, Jeff Lindstrom
    >> <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>In article <Xns962AADA933A4jeffsmessages@216.196.97.142>,
    >>>> Jeff Lindstrom <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> I have a 5040 and it can receive shows from other 5xxx machines,
    >>>>> but it can't receive a show from DVArchive, so I take that as
    >>>>> a limitation of DVArchive
    >>>
    >>>>No, something's broken.
    >>>>
    >>>>Your 5040 should easily be able to stream shows from DVArchive.
    >>>>
    >>>>As for MOVING the show FROM DVArchive OVER TO the 5040 such that it
    >>>>resides on the 5040, you've never been able to do that.
    >>>
    >>> When I said 'receive', I meant 'receive', not 'stream'. My 5040 can
    >>>stream shows just fine from DVArchive on my 850 MHz PIII.
    >>>
    >>> It cannot *receive* shows from DVArchive (as it can from other 5xxx
    >>>machines) because DVArchive cannot *send* shows. I take that as a
    >>>limitation of DVArchive.
    >>
    >>
    >> OK, some people do mix up those terms. "Receiving" (not "streaming")
    >> is using IVS, which DVA does not support. This is a limitation of DVA,
    >> probably for good reason. IVS requires the Replay server, which would
    >> allow them to see that you're doig something you're not supposed to.
    >>
    >
    >The reason for the Replay servers is to keep track of the Replay units
    >in an internet world where your ip address at the beginning of the send
    >may be different from the end. Future editions of Poopli will not
    >require the DNNA servers.

    Probably, but notice that they could at any time without your consent
    or even knowledge,

    > I doubt DNNA monitors anything regarding
    >transfers. If they did, you would think when the cleaning people pull
    >out the extension cord running the IVS servers on Friday night and bring
    >down IVS, somebody would have it rebooted before Monday morning.

    Any data collection is likely to be automated, and not checked often.
    It could be weeks or longer before they find out.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  34. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:32:53 GMT, ST <tringali@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >John in Detroit wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, it won't run on either of my PC's 98 box is missing a DLL and the
    >> xp box... I forget, illegal instruction I think
    >
    >It wouldn't work for me either, but I think after a little research you
    >need to install the .NET runtime from MS.
    > Should be available from
    >Windows update. Haven't tried it yet, though.

    It has been for a long time (at least with Win 2000).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  35. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    > For the 98 box, simply run the install again. I doubt if the 98 box
    > would be good for anything Replay though.

    My 850 MHz PII running Win98SE handles DVArchive just fine, including
    streaming to my RTV and an 1100 transfer rate to my PC (haven't tried any
    faster).


    --
    Jeff

    ===================================================================
    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:51:37 -0600, Jeff Lindstrom
    <j_r_lind@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> For the 98 box, simply run the install again. I doubt if the 98 box
    >> would be good for anything Replay though.
    >
    > My 850 MHz PII running Win98SE handles DVArchive just fine, including
    >streaming to my RTV and an 1100 transfer rate to my PC (haven't tried any
    >faster).

    I heard that the maximum (for 5xxx Replays) was about 1300. I've been
    using 1200 on 2 of my Replays, and 600 on the other. The reason for
    the difference is that that last one is the Replay I control manually
    the most, and the higher speeds greatly increase control latency
    (think about pressing 'pause' and waiting a minute before it works) as
    well as causing problems with playback (record is still OK).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  37. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Ah, yes the .NET runtime can be downloaded from the windows update site,
    in fact auto-update wants to install it, I said no, it looks to me to
    have security issues, I don't like security issues.

    ST wrote:
    > John in Detroit wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, it won't run on either of my PC's 98 box is missing a DLL and the
    >> xp box... I forget, illegal instruction I think
    >
    >
    > It wouldn't work for me either, but I think after a little research you
    > need to install the .NET runtime from MS. Should be available from
    > Windows update. Haven't tried it yet, though.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  38. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Someone else identified the problem... I need a module I refused to
    install (.net)

    As for the 98 box.. It does replay things quite nicely, it can
    download/move shows from the replays, it can remote control the replays,
    it can display the listings, upcoming shows and the like


    AND IT PLAYS THE SHOWS JUST FINE, in fact I just finished watching an
    hour's worth of M*A*S*H (Been a slow week for recording, But I have over
    fifty hours of mash on the USB drive)

    Tony D wrote:
    > John in Detroit wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, it won't run on either of my PC's 98 box is missing a DLL and the
    >> xp box... I forget, illegal instruction I think
    >
    >
    > You need .NET.
    > For the XP box, simply boot from the XP disk and run a repair. If you
    > have upgraded to SP2 and your original disk is not SP2, you cannot run a
    > Repair. You CAN use your disk and the full SP2 file to create a NEW XP
    > bootable CD with SP2 that can run the repair however.
    >
    > For the 98 box, simply run the install again. I doubt if the 98 box
    > would be good for anything Replay though.

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
Ask a new question

Read More

Ptv Replaytv Ethernet Card Video ReplayTV