How to use 2 TiVos--I'm confused! Help!

Hi,

I'm new to all this so please bear with me. I have 2 TiVos that I want to
place in different rooms. I would like to have the ability to see what is
recorded on one box through the other box. What do I need to do this? I
have no particular interest in using my computer network with TiVO but am I
safe to assume that this is necessary? (I do have a wireless network)
Could someone be kind enough to explain this to me in newbie terms, please?

Thanks for any help!
11 answers Last reply
More about tivos confused

    "Cognito" <Cog@hiding.com> wrote in message

    > I'm new to all this so please bear with me. I have 2 TiVos that I want to
    > place in different rooms. I would like to have the ability to see what is
    > recorded on one box through the other box. What do I need to do this? I
    > have no particular interest in using my computer network with TiVO but am I
    > safe to assume that this is necessary? (I do have a wireless network) Could
    > someone be kind enough to explain this to me in newbie terms, please?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    If you want the Tivos to talk to each other, they do need to be on a network
    together. They do NOT need to be on the SAME network as your computers, but
    if you only have one network, that is usually the easiest way. Also, if you
    want the Tivos to get their guide data over the internet, they will need to be
    connected to a network with access to the internet.

    Ken

    "Cognito" <Cog@hiding.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to all this so please bear with me. I have 2 TiVos that I want to
    > place in different rooms. I would like to have the ability to see what is
    > recorded on one box through the other box. What do I need to do this? I
    > have no particular interest in using my computer network with TiVO but am
    > safe to assume that this is necessary? (I do have a wireless network)
    > Could someone be kind enough to explain this to me in newbie terms,
    please?

    I have two Tivos in different rooms- connected by a Linksys wired connection
    that simply runs from one to the other. With Home Media Option I am able to
    see what the other Tivo has going on as well as being able to transfer
    programs from room to room.

    --
    Toni
    http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

    "Cognito" <Cog@hiding.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to all this so please bear with me. I have 2 TiVos that I want to
    > place in different rooms. I would like to have the ability to see what is
    > recorded on one box through the other box. What do I need to do this? I
    > have no particular interest in using my computer network with TiVO but am
    > I safe to assume that this is necessary? (I do have a wireless network)
    > Could someone be kind enough to explain this to me in newbie terms,
    > please?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Follow this link:

    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2046.htm?

    "Cognito" <Cog@hiding.com> wrote

    > I'm new to all this so please bear with me. I have 2 TiVos that I want to
    > place in different rooms. I would like to have the ability to see what is
    > recorded on one box through the other box. What do I need to do this? I
    > have no particular interest in using my computer network with TiVO but am
    > I safe to assume that this is necessary? (I do have a wireless network)
    > Could someone be kind enough to explain this to me in newbie terms,
    > please?

    Different Tivos have different potential, but without hacking at least one
    of your units, I don't see how. If the Home Media Option played .tivo files
    (or .avi, .asf, .rm etc) files as well as MP3 or JPG, you'd already be
    there. But it doesn't. Like the rest of us, you're waiting for a
    "TivoToGoBack."

    Think of Home Media Option as a "client" program running on the Tivo box,
    that reads files off your PC (or PC's, or someone else's PC!) via wireless
    LAN. The PC runs a "server" program. But HMO is only enabled for JPG and
    MP3 files, and passwords/encryption aren't necessary because Tivo didn't
    create those files.

    TivoToGo is the new "server" software for _Tivo_ that sends your Tivo
    recordings to PC as encrypted .tivo files. To play on PC, these new files
    require a special video decoder ("codec") and Windows Media Player will fail
    until you get it. The codec written for Tivo asks for a password every time
    you play a Tivo movie on a PC.

    Tivo _created_ these files, so Tivo shares some responsibility for what
    happens to them. The legal concerns are uncharted territory, so TivoToGo
    "serves" your video recordings with encryption and password protection as
    ..tivo files. That way if you share your recordings, you also share your
    password and Tivo isn't responsible for your misconduct.

    There's an overhead. Transferring a recording across the best LAN connection
    is still pretty slow, presumably the overhead of combining Tivo's audio and
    video into a suitable, encrypted format (.tivo).

    At the moment, without hacking your Tivo, the best you can do is run TTG on
    both Tivos (some models won't), then access either from your PC. Get a
    big-screen monitor and HDMI video card and watch the recordings on PC.

    In ten-twenty years your PC/ TV/DVR/phone/fax will all be one unit. Well,
    your GPS phone might be implanted in your mastoid bone.

    -MT

    "Mike Tyner" <mtyner@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > Different Tivos have different potential, but without hacking at least one
    > of your units, I don't see how. If the Home Media Option played .tivo files
    > (or .avi, .asf, .rm etc) files as well as MP3 or JPG, you'd already be
    > there. But it doesn't. Like the rest of us, you're waiting for a
    > "TivoToGoBack."

    He simply wants to watch a show from Tivo #1 on Tivo #2, no computers (and
    therefore no TTG) involved.

    Assuming he isn't talking about DirectTivo, this feature is already supported
    in all current models. It's called "Multi-Room Viewing". Any Tivos found on
    the local network appear at the bottom of the Now Playing list of the other
    Tivos.

    It's a nice option, I can watch half a show in my living room, go to bed and
    watch the end of the show, transferring from the location I left off at on the
    living room Tivo.

    Ken

    Thanks to all for their input. Is there any extra charge besides the $6.95
    for the 2nd unit? I do appreciate all your help!

    "Annie" <Annie@nothere.com> wrote in message

    > Thanks to all for their input. Is there any extra charge besides the $6.95
    > for the 2nd unit? I do appreciate all your help!

    If both units are subscribed, there is no additional charge for Multi-Room
    Viewing.

    Ken

    "Ken Alverson" <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote in message news:d2k9s3$7i6$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...
    > "Mike Tyner" <mtyner@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Different Tivos have different potential, but without hacking at least one
    > > of your units, I don't see how. If the Home Media Option played .tivo files
    > > (or .avi, .asf, .rm etc) files as well as MP3 or JPG, you'd already be
    > > there. But it doesn't. Like the rest of us, you're waiting for a
    > > "TivoToGoBack."
    >
    > He simply wants to watch a show from Tivo #1 on Tivo #2, no computers (and
    > therefore no TTG) involved.
    >
    > Assuming he isn't talking about DirectTivo, this feature is already supported
    > in all current models. It's called "Multi-Room Viewing". Any Tivos found on
    > the local network appear at the bottom of the Now Playing list of the other
    > Tivos.
    >
    > It's a nice option, I can watch half a show in my living room, go to bed and
    > watch the end of the show, transferring from the location I left off at on the
    > living room Tivo.

    I do the same thing using two DirecTV DVRs. A coaxial cable switch near
    each TV receiver and an RF remote control permits viewing of programs
    from either DVR on any connected TV receiver. No communication between
    the DVRs is needed. This configuration will also allow a single DVD player
    to be usable at more than one TV receiver.

    You don't need two DVRs to watch from more than one TV receiver.

    "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in message
    > "Ken Alverson" <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> He simply wants to watch a show from Tivo #1 on Tivo #2, no computers (and
    >> therefore no TTG) involved.
    >>
    >> Assuming he isn't talking about DirectTivo, this feature is already
    >> supported
    >> in all current models. It's called "Multi-Room Viewing". Any Tivos found
    >> on
    >> the local network appear at the bottom of the Now Playing list of the other
    >> Tivos.
    >
    > I do the same thing using two DirecTV DVRs. A coaxial cable switch near
    > each TV receiver and an RF remote control permits viewing of programs
    > from either DVR on any connected TV receiver. No communication between
    > the DVRs is needed. This configuration will also allow a single DVD player
    > to be usable at more than one TV receiver.
    >
    > You don't need two DVRs to watch from more than one TV receiver.

    You're not viewing programs from one Tivo on another Tivo, though, you're
    actually viewing the other Tivo. It's a subtle distinction, but one
    nonetheless. All that video distribution means the picture won't be as clear
    as a directly connected Tivo (especially if you're using coax instead of
    component or s-video or composite). And if someone is already using the Tivo
    that has the program you want to watch, you are out of luck. With the MRV,
    you transfer the program to the local Tivo and watch it there, the source Tivo
    can still be used to watch anything you want on it.

    Also, your solution is a lot more hardware intensive than connecting two Tivos
    to a (possibly wireless) network, especially if you already have them hooked
    up to a network for guide data anyway.

    That's not to say it doesn't have unique advantages. If I start a MRV
    transfer, I am limited how much I can fast forward, because the program hasn't
    completed transferring before I start watching. When I transfer to the
    bedroom, it goes fast enough that I can usually fast forward through all the
    commercials in a show as they come (a little faster than realtime). However,
    if I transfer from the bedroom to the living room, it goes slightly slower
    than realtime, and I have to let it buffer for a few minutes before I watch in
    order to see the whole thing without interruption.

    Ken

    "Ken Alverson" <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote in message news:d2kmbk$10c$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...
    > "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > "Ken Alverson" <USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> He simply wants to watch a show from Tivo #1 on Tivo #2, no computers (and
    > >> therefore no TTG) involved.
    > >>
    > >> Assuming he isn't talking about DirectTivo, this feature is already
    > >> supported
    > >> in all current models. It's called "Multi-Room Viewing". Any Tivos found
    > >> on
    > >> the local network appear at the bottom of the Now Playing list of the other
    > >> Tivos.
    > >
    > > I do the same thing using two DirecTV DVRs. A coaxial cable switch near
    > > each TV receiver and an RF remote control permits viewing of programs
    > > from either DVR on any connected TV receiver. No communication between
    > > the DVRs is needed. This configuration will also allow a single DVD player
    > > to be usable at more than one TV receiver.
    > >
    > > You don't need two DVRs to watch from more than one TV receiver.
    >
    > You're not viewing programs from one Tivo on another Tivo, though, you're
    > actually viewing the other Tivo. It's a subtle distinction, but one
    > nonetheless. All that video distribution means the picture won't be as clear
    > as a directly connected Tivo (especially if you're using coax instead of
    > component or s-video or composite). And if someone is already using the Tivo
    > that has the program you want to watch, you are out of luck. With the MRV,
    > you transfer the program to the local Tivo and watch it there, the source Tivo
    > can still be used to watch anything you want on it.

    The video quality of the DirecTV DVR cannot be matched by a standalone DVR.
    I have a R/S Stereo Modulator that uses composite video and L/R audio to output
    a channel 3/4 stereo signal on coaxial cable. The video and sound quality is superb.

    The savings on monthly TiVo service fees can pay for video distribution
    components fairly quickly. A single $4.99 monthly fee provides TiVo service on
    both DVRs. With two DirecTV DVRs, we can record four programs at the same time.

    > He simply wants to watch a show from Tivo #1 on Tivo #2, no computers (and
    > therefore no TTG) involved.
    >
    > Assuming he isn't talking about DirectTivo, this feature is already
    > supported in all current models. It's called "Multi-Room Viewing". Any
    > Tivos found on the local network appear at the bottom of the Now Playing
    > list of the other Tivos.

    > It's a nice option, I can watch half a show in my living room, go to bed
    > and watch the end of the show, transferring from the location I left off
    > at on the living room Tivo.
    >
    > Ken

    Yes, that's it... Multi-Room Viewing. I'll give it a shot! Thanks so much
    all!

Ptv Tivo Tivo