new hard drive cd

Hi

I would like to upgrade the hard drive on my replay TV 4508. Is there a
simple cd out there that I can use on the new disk? I seen other methods out
there that requires using the old drive and copying stuff over. That makes
me a little nervous about crashing both drives.

If not is there a good place to buy a drive already set up for this unit?

Thanks in advance
12 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    >If not is there a good place to buy a drive already set up for this unit?

    Ebay

    http://home.comcast.net/~mikemenard/ReplayTVShowstopper.html

    > If not is there a good place to buy a drive already set up for this unit?

    If you can follow these directions, you should not have a problem.
    http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html Chances of crashing both
    drives are slim, unless you decide to throw them against the wall in
    frustration. If your not that technically inclined, then I suggest you call
    a friend who is to help you.

    Good Luck!
    JW

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:02:30 GMT, "Joseph Wind" <jpg@gif.com> wrote:

    >If you can follow these directions, you should not have a problem.
    >http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html Chances of crashing both
    >drives are slim, unless you decide to throw them against the wall in
    >frustration. If your not that technically inclined, then I suggest you call
    >a friend who is to help you.

    Or if you can't tell the difference between "source" and "target".
    I've known people like that.

    BTW, it might help some if a HD had a write-protect jumper like a
    floppy has.

    >Good Luck!
    >JW
    >
    >"Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I would like to upgrade the hard drive on my replay TV 4508. Is there a
    >> simple cd out there that I can use on the new disk? I seen other methods
    >out
    >> there that requires using the old drive and copying stuff over. That makes
    >> me a little nervous about crashing both drives.
    >>
    >> If not is there a good place to buy a drive already set up for this unit?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    My 14 year old son just did it. He's smart but not a guru or anything. I
    don't think there is a much danger of hurting the old drive as long as you
    don't do anything really stupid. So worst case, you could put the old drive
    in and return to where you were.

    You can buy preformatted drives on Ebay, but you'll spend at least 2x what
    you'd spend doing it yourself.

    - Mark

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:47:58 GMT, "markjen"
    <mark.jennings4@comcast.net> wrote:

    >My 14 year old son just did it. He's smart but not a guru or anything. I
    >don't think there is a much danger of hurting the old drive as long as you
    >don't do anything really stupid.

    Although many people are really stupid (at least they act that way),
    although most are considerably older than 14.

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:02:30 GMT, "Joseph Wind" <jpg@gif.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If you can follow these directions, you should not have a problem.
    >>http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html Chances of crashing both
    >>drives are slim, unless you decide to throw them against the wall in
    >>frustration. If your not that technically inclined, then I suggest
    >>you call a friend who is to help you.
    >>

    > Or if you can't tell the difference between "source" and "target".
    > I've known people like that.
    >
    > BTW, it might help some if a HD had a write-protect jumper like a
    > floppy has.

    Many (I want to say "most", but the internet can be cruel) hard drives
    have such a jumper. Usually with a little effort you should easily be
    able to tell the difference between the two, especially if you are going
    from something like a 40GB to a 250GB. Now same size swaps might more
    easily confuse people.

    The process (back to OP) is really very easy. Get a friend to help. Or
    contact someone here or on eBay for a drive already set up with the
    image you need.

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:46:35 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:02:30 GMT, "Joseph Wind" <jpg@gif.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you can follow these directions, you should not have a problem.
    >>>http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/utility.html Chances of crashing both
    >>>drives are slim, unless you decide to throw them against the wall in
    >>>frustration. If your not that technically inclined, then I suggest
    >>>you call a friend who is to help you.
    >>>

    >> Or if you can't tell the difference between "source" and "target".
    >> I've known people like that.
    >>
    >> BTW, it might help some if a HD had a write-protect jumper like a
    >> floppy has.
    >>

    >Many (I want to say "most", but the internet can be cruel) hard drives
    >have such a jumper.

    Could you have gotten mixed up there? When I said "jumper" above I was
    referring to write-protect NOT master/slave. I've never seen a HD with
    a write-protect jumper.

    > Usually with a little effort you should easily be
    >able to tell the difference between the two, especially if you are going
    >from something like a 40GB to a 250GB.

    True. There's just the too-common problem of people being mentally
    lazy. Most of those people won't have Replays, but a couple might.

    > Now same size swaps might more
    >easily confuse people.

    Why would you be doing the swap (reguiring a good source drive) when
    you're not going to a different size drive?

    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:46:35 GMT, Steph
    ><CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

    >>> Or if you can't tell the difference between "source" and "target".
    >>> I've known people like that.
    >>>
    >>> BTW, it might help some if a HD had a write-protect jumper like a
    >>> floppy has.
    >>>

    >>Many (I want to say "most", but the internet can be cruel) hard drives
    >>have such a jumper.
    >
    > Could you have gotten mixed up there? When I said "jumper" above I was
    > referring to write-protect NOT master/slave. I've never seen a HD with
    > a write-protect jumper.

    Nope not mixed up. Common jumpers set Master/Slave, Cable Select, etc.
    But many drives do allow for jumpering to make them write-protected.
    For example, here is the first one I found with a search for a hitachi
    drive http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dk/5/5118/write.html

    And here a nice thread on the topic
    http://www.faqfarm.com/Computer/Hardware/40678
    Not in the forum they also mention some BIOS' offer the option.

    >> Usually with a little effort you should easily be
    >>able to tell the difference between the two, especially if you are
    >>going from something like a 40GB to a 250GB.
    >
    > True. There's just the too-common problem of people being mentally
    > lazy. Most of those people won't have Replays, but a couple might.
    >
    >> Now same size swaps might more
    >>easily confuse people.
    >>

    > Why would you be doing the swap (reguiring a good source drive) when
    > you're not going to a different size drive?

    I normally would not. However, it is possible that I imaged a 40GB to a
    250GB and then decided to image a second 250GB off the first. I must
    look at the display very carefully. Swapping same size older/smaller
    drives doesn't make sense for many reasons - but I mentioned it for
    completeness.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:32:51 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:46:35 GMT, Steph
    >><CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in

    >>>Many (I want to say "most", but the internet can be cruel) hard drives
    >>>have such a jumper.
    >>
    >> Could you have gotten mixed up there? When I said "jumper" above I was
    >> referring to write-protect NOT master/slave. I've never seen a HD with
    >> a write-protect jumper.
    >>

    >Nope not mixed up. Common jumpers set Master/Slave, Cable Select, etc.

    So common I didn't seed to say anything about them there.

    >But many drives do allow for jumpering to make them write-protected.
    >For example, here is the first one I found with a search for a hitachi
    >drive http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dk/5/5118/write.html

    1. That describes it at as an "optional feature". What do you have to
    add to this drive to make it available?

    2. I noticed that that says nothing about actually write protecting
    the disk, just the availability of signals. I was more suspicious
    after reading the thread below (which mentions OS / BIOS involvement).

    >And here a nice thread on the topic
    >http://www.faqfarm.com/Computer/Hardware/40678

    I never said I know everything. I've seen a couple dozen hard drives
    of different brands (including those in Replay and Ultimate TV), They
    didn't have write-protect. Looks unlikely a particular drive would
    have that feature unless you were looking specifically for one. In
    most (Replay upgrading) cases, you wouldn't have that choice, since
    the unit already comes with a drive.

    >Not in the forum they also mention some BIOS' offer the option.

    So, it depends on the computer to enforce the write-protect? This
    would be a serious reliability hole, as compared to doing it in the
    drive itself.This would be of VERY limited use when upgrading a Replay
    (especially to someone with limited knowledge),

    >>> Usually with a little effort you should easily be
    >>>able to tell the difference between the two, especially if you are
    >>>going from something like a 40GB to a 250GB.
    >>
    >> True. There's just the too-common problem of people being mentally
    >> lazy. Most of those people won't have Replays, but a couple might.
    >>
    >>> Now same size swaps might more
    >>>easily confuse people.
    >>>

    >> Why would you be doing the swap (reguiring a good source drive) when
    >> you're not going to a different size drive?
    >>

    >I normally would not. However, it is possible that I imaged a 40GB to a
    >250GB and then decided to image a second 250GB off the first. I must
    >look at the display very carefully.

    OK, but it would be somewhat better to make both copies from the 40GB
    drive.

    > Swapping same size older/smaller
    >drives doesn't make sense for many reasons -

    It makes sense if you already have both drives, and decide you'd
    rather have the larger drive in a computer. I did that once (with a
    Replay 2020). It could be even more likely now (considering DVArchive,
    the reason I didn't upgrade my 5xxx Replay).

    > but I mentioned it for
    >completeness.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://go.to/notstupid
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    I have a RPTV 30xx with 120GB drive. I recently replaced it with another
    120GB drive, because the first drive was starting to get noisy. I agree
    that for the inexperienced user, it maybe a bit confusing, but in the Patch
    utility the Replay drive shows as a Replay Disk and the un-patched drive
    show up as not a Reply drive. Also the Patch utility does support firewire
    and USB drives, so if you have an external case that can be used too.

    Eventually I'll get a 50xx, but for now all I need is my 30xx.

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:46:35 GMT, Steph
    > <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:
    >
    > Why would you be doing the swap (reguiring a good source drive) when
    > you're not going to a different size drive?

  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    New address is: http://www.replaytvparts.com/

    --
    Jeff

    NOTE: Remove underscores from my e-mail address to reply personally.

Ptv Replaytv CD-Rom Hard Drives