The Big Pair Down

It comes with great sadness that I must begin pairing down my Commodore
collection to a bare minimum. In 1996, I owned over 250 disks filled
with games, utilities and programs. By 2003, my collection swelled to
well over 600 disks!

I began pairing down my Commodore disks and equipment this year in
anticipation of a move to a new residence (I even sold off my entire
Atari 2600/5200/7800 games collection on eBay for a nice sum). I have
since paired down my Commodore and disks collection to a smaller
collection consisting of:

(1) Commodore 128-D
(1) Commodore 128
(1) Commodore 64
(1) Commodore Plus/4
300+ disks (200+ from 1996 and before; the rest are mainly backups of
my existing programming disks)
(1) Commodore 1670 modem

This is my current setup, as paired down recently. However, I hope to
eventually pair this down to the following minimal setup:

(1) Commodore 128-D
(1) Commodore 64
(1) Commodore Plus/4
250+ disks (200+ from 1996 and before; the rest are mainly backups of
my existing programming disks)
(1) Commodore 1670 modem

I have already thrown out dozens of Commodore magazines which I no
longer read. I contemplated selling them on eBay, but decided they
weren't worth more than $.50 an issue. I kept a grand total of four or
five magazines (mainly the RUN Special Issues, plus an issue of
Commodore World).

I had a hard time parting with all the magazines and some of the
disks, because it shaped such a large part of my past life. But I'm
getting older now, so I've had to pair down my collection to a bare
minimum in order to move on to the next phase of my life. I will still
turn the 64/128 on from time to time to play games, but as far as every
day use goes, that is now (sadly) in the past.

I will still post to homestead and comp.sys.cbm fairly regularly, so if
you need me, just email me at: dunric@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

Paul Panks
dunric@yahoo.com
11 answers Last reply
More about big pair

    I'm laughing on the outside, but be asured - I'm also laughing on the
    inside.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    <dunric@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    -snip-

    > I had a hard time parting with all the magazines and some of the
    > disks, because it shaped such a large part of my past life. But I'm
    > getting older now, so I've had to pair down my collection to a bare
    > minimum in order to move on to the next phase of my life. I will still
    > turn the 64/128 on from time to time to play games, but as far as every
    > day use goes, that is now (sadly) in the past.

    Hi Paul, I'm curious. What are you dropping gaming in favor of? Is it just
    for a move or something more profound?

    Liam
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    I don't care about your merchandise. I just want you to know it's "Pare"
    down, not "pair."

    Thank you.

    --
    Tweek
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Tweek wrote:
    > I don't care about your merchandise. I just want you to know it's
    "Pare"
    > down, not "pair."

    Hmmm, you'd think a self-proclaimed 'published author' would also have
    his language skills down pretty good. Unless of course 'Pair Down' is
    a coy reference to part of his anatomy...
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Liam,

    I've been involved in computers and classic video games since the early
    1980's. Although I'm still keeeping a small collection of Commodore
    hardware, games and utilities, I'm no longer going to be actively
    collecting as hobbyist.

    Paul

    Liam Busey wrote:
    > <dunric@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > -snip-
    >

    > > I had a hard time parting with all the magazines and some of the
    > > disks, because it shaped such a large part of my past life. But I'm
    > > getting older now, so I've had to pair down my collection to a bare
    > > minimum in order to move on to the next phase of my life. I will
    still
    > > turn the 64/128 on from time to time to play games, but as far as
    every
    > > day use goes, that is now (sadly) in the past.
    >
    > Hi Paul, I'm curious. What are you dropping gaming in favor of? Is it
    just
    > for a move or something more profound?
    >

    > Liam
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    On 19 Mar 2005 12:34:02 -0800, dunric@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I began pairing down my Commodore disks and equipment this year in
    >anticipation of a move to a new residence

    Booby Hatch won't let you bring your collection? :(
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    rob_ocelot@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Tweek wrote:
    > > I don't care about your merchandise. I just want you to know it's
    > "Pare"
    > > down, not "pair."
    >
    > Hmmm, you'd think a self-proclaimed 'published author' would also
    have
    > his language skills down pretty good. Unless of course 'Pair Down'
    is
    > a coy reference to part of his anatomy...

    That it was.

    Paul
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    dunric@yahoo.com wrote in news:1111458432.595660.162050
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > rob_ocelot@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> Tweek wrote:
    >> > I don't care about your merchandise. I just want you to know it's
    >> "Pare"
    >> > down, not "pair."
    >>
    >> Hmmm, you'd think a self-proclaimed 'published author' would also
    > have
    >> his language skills down pretty good. Unless of course 'Pair Down'
    > is
    >> a coy reference to part of his anatomy...
    >
    > That it was.
    >
    > Paul

    A lie, that it was.

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    Wrong.

    Paul
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    On 23 Mar 2005 22:19:06 -0800, dunric@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Wrong.

    Cuckoo Cuckoo
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

    Let it rip.You dip.

Games Commodore