Networking Tivo

I would like to know how to network my Tivo, I have to choices either using
wired or wireless.
which one is more convenient, and which adapter should I consider buying. I
have a Directv Tivo Philips Model, has two usb ports for remote access.
Please Help, Thanks!
-Alex
7 answers Last reply
More about networking tivo

    Alex wrote:
    > I would like to know how to network my Tivo, I have to choices either
    using
    > wired or wireless.
    > which one is more convenient, and which adapter should I consider
    buying.

    Wired is best, unless you want wireless. Best wired adapter for the
    price is the Hawking HUFF11:

    http://tinyurl.com/672g8

    -Eric

    elrous0@pop.uky.edu wrote:
    > Alex wrote:
    >
    >>I would like to know how to network my Tivo, I have to choices either
    >
    > using
    >
    >>wired or wireless.
    >>which one is more convenient, and which adapter should I consider
    >
    > buying.
    >
    > Wired is best, unless you want wireless. Best wired adapter for the
    > price is the Hawking HUFF11:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/672g8
    >
    > -Eric

    Note that the OP is referring to a DirecTivo. Directv Tivo DVR's cannot
    be networked without hacking the OS. Otherwise the USB ports are
    non-functional.

    Randy S.

    <elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message news:1111416725.433435.227720@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

    > Alex wrote:
    >> I would like to know how to network my Tivo, I have to choices either
    > using
    >> wired or wireless.
    >> which one is more convenient, and which adapter should I consider
    > buying.
    >
    > Wired is best, unless you want wireless. Best wired adapter for the
    > price is the Hawking HUFF11:

    ........but, that's only a USB 1.1 unit, which will limit xfers to 4mbps.

    Better to spend $15 more and get a USB 2.0 to 10/100 adapter like a
    D-Link DUB-E100. Linksys also makes a USB2.0 10/100 adapter, but
    reviews I've read say it's a flimsy piece of junk.

    Besides, as has already been pointed out, his DirecTV/TiVo unit's
    USB ports are disabled. :-(

    >>.......but, that's only a USB 1.1 unit, which will limit xfers to
    4mbps<<

    Doesn't matter unless your linking two tivos together. For networking a
    tivo to your computer 1.1 is all you need. It's plenty fast for music
    and photos and tivo-to-go transfers aren't any faster on 2.0 (because
    the tivo has to encrypt them already anyway). Best to save your money
    if you only have one Tivo.

    -Eric

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 elrous0@pop.uky.edu wrote:

    > Doesn't matter unless your linking two tivos together. For networking a
    > tivo to your computer 1.1 is all you need. It's plenty fast for music
    > and photos and tivo-to-go transfers aren't any faster on 2.0 (because
    > the tivo has to encrypt them already anyway). Best to save your money
    > if you only have one Tivo.
    >
    > -Eric

    Is it doing the encryption on the fly? I'm curious, because I just
    started using TTG yesterday and I'm seeing about 2MBit throughput on a
    100M network. Is this what I should expect?

    > Is it doing the encryption on the fly? I'm curious, because I just
    > started using TTG yesterday and I'm seeing about 2MBit throughput on a
    > 100M network. Is this what I should expect?

    You've nailed it. Hopefully TTG transfers will get faster in the
    future, but for now they're really not constrained very much by USB 1.1
    and 802.11b max speeds. Hacking the O/S and disabling encryption is the
    only way to really speed up Tivo to PC transfer speeds right now.

    Randy S.

    <elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message news:1111438273.783481.56670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >>>.......but, that's only a USB 1.1 unit, which will limit xfers to
    > 4mbps<<
    >
    > Doesn't matter unless your linking two tivos together. For networking a
    > tivo to your computer 1.1 is all you need. It's plenty fast for music
    > and photos and tivo-to-go transfers aren't any faster on 2.0 (because
    > the tivo has to encrypt them already anyway). Best to save your money
    > if you only have one Tivo.

    I went out yesterday and picked up a Linksys USB200M, to test its
    performance vs. my older (USB 1.1) USB100TX, on my Series 2 TiVo.
    The test file was 509MB (a 20 minute best quality recording). Everything
    between my PC (an Athlon XP 3200 running XP Pro) and the TiVo is
    running at 100mbps. The TiVo wasn't recording or updating during the
    test transfers.

    Resulting transfer times (in mm:ss):

    Old (USB100TX) adapter: 18:52.
    New (USB200M) adapter, before rebooting: 17:52
    New (USB200M) adapter, after rebooting: 11:07

    ....so, there's an improvement, but nothing spectacular. I wouldn't run
    out to replace a USB 1.1 adapter with a USB 2.0 adapter, based on
    these results, just for TiVoToGo. But if you're starting from nil, I would
    go with the 2.0 adapter. Besides, TiVo may make future enhancements
    (like NetFlix downloads directly to your TiVo) for which the increased
    throughput will be important.

    One other note: The Linksys USB200M adapter IS INDEED a flimsy,
    fragile piece of junk - at least physically speaking. I plugged it into the
    short USB extension cable that it comes supplied with, and as I inserted
    it I heard a sickening "crack!". The case had split at the plug end, and
    the plug was now wobbly and loose. It did still work, though.

Ptv Tivo Tivo Networking Product