Problem with 5540 Unit

Hi,

I have a 5540 that is about 2 years old. Recently I have been
experiencing the the following:

1. Live mode: Picture is frozen and audio keeps repeating
about 5 secs in endless loop. It started doing it
when changing channels but recently it seems to get
stuck even after a reboot.

2. Replay mode locally: Playing already recorded shows is OK.
It does take a while to get the menu due to (1).

3. Replay mode to a 5040: Works fine

4. Replay mode from a 5040: works fine

5. Other Issues: Occassional severe pixelation on local channels.
I was thinking that this is an issue with the satellite
but does not happen on the 5040 (but could be due to the
different DirecTV receiver).

Has anyone seen this? Is this a hard drive issue (I wanted to
rule that out since recorded shows play fine).

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Felix
2 answers Last reply
More about problem 5540 unit

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:46:25 -0800, F. Chung <f@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a 5540 that is about 2 years old. Recently I have been
    >experiencing the the following:
    >
    > 1. Live mode: Picture is frozen and audio keeps repeating
    > about 5 secs in endless loop. It started doing it
    > when changing channels but recently it seems to get
    > stuck even after a reboot.
    >
    > 2. Replay mode locally: Playing already recorded shows is OK.
    > It does take a while to get the menu due to (1).
    >
    > 3. Replay mode to a 5040: Works fine
    >
    > 4. Replay mode from a 5040: works fine
    >
    > 5. Other Issues: Occassional severe pixelation on local channels.
    > I was thinking that this is an issue with the satellite
    > but does not happen on the 5040 (but could be due to the
    > different DirecTV receiver).
    >
    >Has anyone seen this? Is this a hard drive issue (I wanted to
    >rule that out since recorded shows play fine).

    It may still be one. Note that when buffering live TV (rather than
    playing a recorded show), the Replay is doing BOTH recording and
    playing at the same time (with a controllable delay that's at least 1
    sec or so). The disk may be fast enough for either one, but not both
    at the same time (the playback is effected first). Try it with a new
    drive (or just a new software image, it that doesn't fix it use a new
    drive)..

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    still fall for that scam."

    F. Chung wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 5540 that is about 2 years old. Recently I have been
    > experiencing the the following:
    >
    > 1. Live mode: Picture is frozen and audio keeps repeating
    > about 5 secs in endless loop. It started doing it
    > when changing channels but recently it seems to get
    > stuck even after a reboot.

    Since everything is digital this could be due to any of the following

    Bad LNA (Dish head unit) Bad cable, staple through cable (or nail) bad
    cable box, bad drive in the Replay, bad other in the replay. and most
    likely a bad connection somewhere on the signal path TO the replay
    (Check all connections for corrosion and pulled wire)

    > 2. Replay mode locally: Playing already recorded shows is OK.
    > It does take a while to get the menu due to (1).
    >
    > 3. Replay mode to a 5040: Works fine
    >
    > 4. Replay mode from a 5040: works fine

    Different signal paths, different LNA (Lo, Noise Amplifier) at the dish,
    Different cable, Different cable, box,,, Different EVERYTHING

    > 5. Other Issues: Occassional severe pixelation on local channels.
    > I was thinking that this is an issue with the satellite
    > but does not happen on the 5040 (but could be due to the
    > different DirecTV receiver).

    Do you watch local channels locally or via the sat? (Your own antenna or
    what)

    > Has anyone seen this? Is this a hard drive issue (I wanted to
    > rule that out since recorded shows play fine).

    One thing I have noticed about the replay is that it will pixelate if
    it's not getting a strong enough signal when watching "Off the air"
    (Connected to an antenna) I ran mine for a while on a set of rabbit ears

    To test the replay you need an alternative video source, A dvd player
    would be nice... Hook it up to LINE 2 and see how it records... I it
    records fine and plays through fine, then you have elimanted almost all
    of the replay as the culprit (How much is left to elimante depends on
    how you are hooked to the cable box.

    To test the cable box,,, Hook up a tv or video monitor in place of the
    replay....

    This is an elimination test... A very definitive test as far as it goes

    If the picture off the cable box is defective, stutters, pixelates, and
    such..... Suspect it and it's upstream devices (Call your cable/sat
    provider) if the pic suffers when viewing/recording from a DVD player...
    Suspect the Replay

Ptv Replaytv