Question regarding connecting 2 TiVo's and 1 TV

Before I had my TiVo, I had 2 VCR's set up with coax from the cable (no
box) going to the RF in on VCR 1. Coax from VCR 1's RF out to VCR 2's
RF in and then coax from VCR 2's RF out to the TV. I could record 2
programs on different channels broadcast at the same time (I work
nights).

If I added a second TiVo series 2 box to my existing one can I achieve
a similar siuation with similar set up and record 2 different channels
at the same time?

TIA.
6 answers Last reply
More about question connecting tivo

    You will have to do what the other posted wrote since you can't go out of
    one TIVO and into another TIVO like you do with a VCR it won't work. You
    must split the signal.

    "Dixie" <dixie@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    > Before I had my TiVo, I had 2 VCR's set up with coax from the cable (no
    > box) going to the RF in on VCR 1. Coax from VCR 1's RF out to VCR 2's
    > RF in and then coax from VCR 2's RF out to the TV. I could record 2
    > programs on different channels broadcast at the same time (I work
    > nights).
    >
    > If I added a second TiVo series 2 box to my existing one can I achieve
    > a similar siuation with similar set up and record 2 different channels
    > at the same time?
    >
    > TIA.

    "Dixie" <dixie@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    > Before I had my TiVo, I had 2 VCR's set up with coax from the cable (no
    > box) going to the RF in on VCR 1. Coax from VCR 1's RF out to VCR 2's
    > RF in and then coax from VCR 2's RF out to the TV. I could record 2
    > programs on different channels broadcast at the same time (I work
    > nights).
    >
    > If I added a second TiVo series 2 box to my existing one can I achieve
    > a similar siuation with similar set up and record 2 different channels
    > at the same time?
    >
    > TIA.

    If you are only going to use the RF inputs/outputs, the best way would be to
    get a two way splitter [so that each Tivo has it's own input] and an A/B
    switch.
    But if your TV has at least one set of composite inputs, I'd recommed taking
    advantage - better quality and no A/B switch needed.

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:47:05 -0800, Dixie wrote:

    > Before I had my TiVo, I had 2 VCR's set up with coax from the cable (no
    > box) going to the RF in on VCR 1. Coax from VCR 1's RF out to VCR 2's
    > RF in and then coax from VCR 2's RF out to the TV. I could record 2
    > programs on different channels broadcast at the same time (I work
    > nights).
    >
    > If I added a second TiVo series 2 box to my existing one can I achieve
    > a similar siuation with similar set up and record 2 different channels
    > at the same time?

    Don't see why not, I've got 2 PVR's (Tivo and RCA) and a vcr hooked to
    mine and I can record 3 shows at once and still watch live tv. Ant. coax
    to 3 way splitter. One to each device. VCR rf to tv, tivo av to tv. RCA av
    to tv. With tv with only one input, get an rf control box or use an old
    vcr like I did to switch the input to the tv.

    >Don't see why not, I've got 2 PVR's (Tivo and RCA) and a vcr hooked to
    >mine and I can record 3 shows at once and still watch live tv.

    You need to get out more often.

    > Before I had my TiVo, I had 2 VCR's set up with coax from the cable (no
    > box) going to the RF in on VCR 1. Coax from VCR 1's RF out to VCR 2's
    > RF in and then coax from VCR 2's RF out to the TV. I could record 2
    > programs on different channels broadcast at the same time (I work
    > nights).
    >
    > If I added a second TiVo series 2 box to my existing one can I achieve
    > a similar siuation with similar set up and record 2 different channels
    > at the same time?

    Feed the RF directly to each Tivo's RF input. Use a splitter. There's no
    need to chain it from one to the other. Then it's a matter of controlling
    which of the two Tivo signals your TV will watch. Frankly you'd be best off
    with a switcher of some kind. Either for the s-video, composite or RF
    signals. The business of using standby modes is often more trouble than
    it's worth.

    If you really want convenience then consider satellite from DirecTV. Their
    Tivo already has two tuners and handles it all for you, including superior
    picture quality. Granted, it'd mean switching to DirecTV but your overall
    monthly cost of a single DirecTivo with service might be a lot less than
    cable. Not as much for 'basic analog' cable though.

    -Bill Kearney

    "richard.pacheco" <richard.pacheco@cox.net> shaped the electrons to say:
    >You will have to do what the other posted wrote since you can't go out of
    >one TIVO and into another TIVO like you do with a VCR it won't work. You
    >must split the signal.

    Or leave the first one in 'Standby', but the splitter is the right
    option - then the second unit can record while the first is playing
    back.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

Ptv Tivo Tivo TV